[comp.sys.atari.st] how to post ASH V0.70?

nowlin@ihuxy.UUCP (05/26/87)

I'm ready to post ASH V0.70 but it seems that comp.binaries.atari.st is no
longer with us.  Should I wait until Jim Turner gets settled someplace or
go ahead and post it to comp.sys.atari.st?  It will be 3 messages long.
If I don't get an overwhelming negative response I'll go ahead and post it
in a couple of days.

Here's a list of the improvements over V0.52 (and V0.60 which slipped out
about a month ago).

   - I/O redirection is supported for built-in commands.

   - The . and .. files are ignored in rm commands whether they're
     explicitly specified on the command line or generated through wildcard
     expansion.  They can't be removed so there isn't much point in trying.
     They're also ignored at appropriate times in cp and mv commands.

   - The keyboard clock is now set by the date command.

   - The mv command doesn't change a file's timestamp.  The cp command does.

   - The arrow keys and the INSERT key are now active for history editing.

   - The 'ash.ini' initialization file handling has improved since any
     valid ASH commands are now allowed.

   - Script speed and memory usage has improved since ASH recurses now.

   - Scripts inherit the calling ASH's set variables and can modify them if
     called with the dot command.

   - The cp command works much faster now.  It's comparable to desktop
     drags.

   - The ls command now has a -h option for hidden/system files.  I have
     never seen any but the option is there to list them if they exist.
     The earlier versions listed everything anyway.  Now you just have to
     ask explicitly for hidden files.

   - The opr command now has a -oN option to offset the left margin.  It's
     handy for centering things on the page or getting the left margin you
     want.

   - The opr command now has a way to initialize the printer with the
     OPRINIT set variable.

   - The mkdir and rmdir commands now take multiple  directory arguments.

   - If you ever wondered what to do with those slanty function keys ASH
     now gives you the ability to program them using set variables.

   - There is a new attr command which allows you to change the read and
     write attributes of a file to read only and back again.  This
     implements file protection as requested by several people.

   - There is a new unset command which allows you delete variables from
     the defined list of set variables.

   - You now have the ability to repeat (^R) a range of commands from the
     history buffer.

Jerry Nowlin
(...!ihnp4!ihuxy!nowlin)

ljdickey@water.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <1975@ihuxy.ATT.COM> nowlin@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Jerry Nowlin) writes:

>I'm ready to post ASH V0.70 but it seems that comp.binaries.atari.st is no
>longer with us.  Should I wait until Jim Turner gets settled someplace or
>go ahead and post it to comp.sys.atari.st?

We need to solve the problem in general.  What should any person do?

We could remove the "moderated" restriction on "comp.binaries.atari.st"
until we find a moderator?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET