[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM questions

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (05/27/87)

mcvax!unido!gmdzi!kow writes:

>................................. ATARI ST gurus will know the answer ....
(does anwsering these questions, give automatic guru status? :-))

>Is there a possibility to do a nowait Evnt_Multi call ?
>I made some experiments using the timer.  But two difficulties arose:
>
>1.   Some keystrokes got lost (especially with short timer intervals)
>
>2.   Also the menu handling is interupted. The effect is that menus
>     are falling down, the evnt_multi terminates and the menus are
>     still visible. So parts of the screen are not redrawn and
>     contains trash.
I would have suggested using evnt_multi with a timer interval of zero,
I've never had trouble doing this.

>Is there any possibility to truncate a file, create by the Fcreate command ?
>This should mean, can I shrink the logical size of a GEMDOS-file ( without
>copying it) ?
No.

>Using the wind_set command and the WF_NEWDESK attribute, one can change the
>default desktop by giving an object to be drawn instead of the standard
>desktop. But how can I 'undo' this ?
I posted a solution to this problem about three weeks ago, call wind_set
with  WF_NEWDESK  and a object tree address of 0, this restores the
default desktop.

>How can I make a 'Obscure Cursor' in GEM?
>
>A Obscure Cursor is a cursor, invisible as long as the mouse isn't moved.
>moving the mouse the cursor becomes visible and remains visible until a
>special call hides it.Normal program execution should not be influenced.
I've never tried this, but it should work: do a evnt_multi call and
wait for the cursor to leave a small box (1x1 pixels) around the current
mouse postion, if you get a msg that the mouse has moved show the cursor.

                             Simon Poole
                             K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET