[net.music] Suzanne Vega and Jane Siberry

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/21/85)

> From: Lee Iverson

> I must admit that I haven't really heard any more than a small piece
> of one Suzanne Vega song, but it seems to be a case of the US press
> praising wildly a home-grown talent when someone doing much the same
> thing but in a far deeper and altogether *better* way gets missed
> because he/she's not American.  I'm talking about (and some of you
> will know this already) a Canadian, Jane Siberry, probably the most
> original and amazing new performer to take pop music as an approach in
> a long time.

I will be one of the first to say that Jane Siberry is very talented and
deserves praise, but I don't think it fair of you at all to imply that
Suzanne Vega does not deserve the praise she has received.  I also
challenge your claim that Jane Siberry is in anyway "deeper".  How can
you make claims like these having only heard "a small piece of one
Suzanne Vega song"?  I also don't find Jane Siberry and Suzanne Vega
very similar at all.  Jane Siberry is usually quite humorous, and
Suzanne Vega is usually deathly serious.  Siberry's melodies are much
catchier than Vega's.

Also, at least in Boston, Jane Siberry is certainly not being missed.
"Mimi on the Beach" has been getting lots of airplay on the WBCN (the
AOR station here, and the #1 station in Boston), and I've rarely (if
ever) heard Suzanne Vega on the radio (and Boston is the homeland of
Suzanne Vega).  Suzanne Vega probably does sell many more records here,
though.

Personally, I greatly prefer Suzanne Vega (though I respect both)
because I prefer her lyrics and I am not wild about catchy melodies.

			"it's one side stone
			 One side fire
			 Standing alone among all men's desire"

			 Doug Alan