[comp.sys.atari.st] good and bad disks

nygard@NPS-CS.ARPA.UUCP (05/20/87)

A quick count reveals that I've got almost 200 disks now, most of them
Sony and Maxell, and some C.ITOH.  I have nothing but praise for these
three brands.  I routinely format single-sided disks as double-sided,
and I have yet to encounter a failure.  However, I bought one box of
Brown disc "Scholar" single-sided discs (cheap, on a closeout sale), and
had lots of trouble with those.  First, they tend to be unwilling to
format properly as double-sided (which limits their usefullness to me),
but worse, at least 2 from the one box gave me trashed out files when
I used them single-sided.  If my box is any indication, stay away from
Brown discs.
Ken Nygard

This is a code message.  The code is called "language".  Do you read me?

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (05/21/87)

[]

Several people posted evaluations of disk brands according to whether their
single-sided disks work properly when used as double-sided.  I would not
judge a brand by that.  If the SS disks work DS it only means that they
sell more SS disks than they have that failed the DS test, so they sell
SS disks that where tested (hopefully) on one side only.  (Or it could
mean that their disks are so good they don't need testing. Could that be?)

Recently 'Opus' brand disks (manufactured in Ohio "under Sony license")
appeared here, at _very_ cheap prices ($0.69 for SS, $0.99 DS on sale).
Does anybody know if they are any good?

- Moshe Braner

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (05/21/87)

I haven't had documented proof of Opus disks failing particularly, but I have
noticed a general trend that they will give more problems than Sony's.  My
vote goes to staying away from the in general.  Moshe, try $14.50 for SS/ $18
for DS disks at Baka.  They sell Sony's and are quite reliable.
                    Adam

rgoodman@cit-vax.UUCP (05/22/87)

In article <1082@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (braner) writes:
>Recently 'Opus' brand disks (manufactured in Ohio "under Sony license")
>appeared here, at _very_ cheap prices ($0.69 for SS, $0.99 DS on sale).
>Does anybody know if they are any good?

Well, someone always has something negative to say about every brand so I
don't know how much credence this really has, but...  I bought 2 boxes of
SS OPUS diskettes on sale and I had 4 disks unable to format completely in
SS and 8 diskettes format completely in DS.  Of those that formatted, 2 have
lost data causing me to lose work.  I don't use them for anything now.
I use Maxell and Sony and they have been pretty much problem free.

Ron Goodman
--
rgoodman@cit-vax.caltech.edu    _______ _________ _________       |
rgoodman@cit-vax.bitnet        /           \#/       \#/          |   Pasadena

ud040164@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (05/23/87)

In article <1090@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) says:

>I haven't had documented proof of Opus disks failing particularly, but I have

I have used about 50 Opus 5 1/4 disks without any complaints (other than the
stupid name, of course :)  Haven't tried out the 3 1/2, though.
>noticed a general trend that they will give more problems than Sony's.  My
>vote goes to staying away from the in general.  Moshe, try $14.50 for SS/ $18
dale
>                    Adam

polder@cs.vu.nl (Paul Polderman) (06/02/87)

About six months ago, I bought two boxes of `Select' (3&1/2 inch) disks.
After having used them for a few days, they seemed to give up
one after the other.
It appeared that they were very sensitive to heat. If you used them
right after switching on the computer, they worked fine for a half an hour,
then gave up.
Needless to say, I never bought them again.

Paul Polderman.
(polder@cs.vu.nl)