[comp.sys.atari.st] Bug in Ash' Environment Handling?

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (06/03/87)

Copy of a letter I sent to the author...

    From holloway Tue Jun  2 13:52:07 1987
    Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87 13:51:58 pst
    From: Bruce Holloway <holloway>
    To: hal6000!sys1!ihnp4!ihuxy!nowlin
    Subject: ASH Environment

    ASH doesn't pass the environment correctly to the programs. It should
    put a pointer to the set of strings in _base+$2C, NOT a pointer to
    a POINTER to a set of strings.

    Other than that, it's a good program. LS could use some work, though -
    it's slow. Perhaps something like Unix's LS would be best. I wrote
    a LS compatible for CP/M-68K that was extremely fast - it read in the
    directory tracks, scratched the ones that weren't specified, sorted them,
    and printed them out. Too bad TOS isn't built that way... but you should
    be able to find the subdirectory, open it (somehow), and read 'em in
    en masse - the root directory is simple.

    If you fix the environment problem, I'll be able to use MAKE again, without
    compiling a special version for ASH...

    Thanks,
    Bruce

--
Bruce Holloway - Relapsed Newsaholic   {ihnp4,seismo,sun}!amdahl!drivax!holloway
"Everything should be made as complex as possible - esp. if you're paid hourly."