[comp.sys.atari.st] Clocks

Goertzel@DCA-EMS.ARPA.UUCP (04/22/87)

I recently installed the ST-Time (I think thats correct) battery backup
for the clock in the keyboard.  The installation was fast and easy and it
works, but I notice two strange things:
1.  The time that appears on the control panel sometimes differs from the time
displayed in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
2.  If I leave the time display in FLASH on (don't switch it to timer) as well
as the upper right han d corner, the clock seems to lose time rather rapidly.

I remember from something earlier on the net that there are two clocks in the
ST.  How do I set both to the same time?  Does the control.acc set the one
other than in the keyboard?  Am I doing something stupid?  I'm using the
accessory that comes with ST-Time.

Thanks for any clarification.  It's no big thing, just annoying.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (04/24/87)

In article <8704221740.AA15603@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Goertzel@DCA-EMS.ARPA writes:
>I recently installed the ST-Time (I think thats correct) battery backup
>for the clock in the keyboard.  The installation was fast and easy and it
>works, but I notice two strange things:
>1.  The time that appears on the control panel sometimes differs from the time
>displayed in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
>2.  If I leave the time display in FLASH on (don't switch it to timer) as well
>as the upper right hand corner, the clock seems to lose time rather rapidly.

I have the same problem. I have noticed that the time shown on the top
right hand corner goes wrong (loses), but I cannot establish how it
happens (it seems to happen when the ST is left running idly, so I see
nothing at nite!). When I watch it the time stays perfectly correct.
Once I reactivated the screen and saw the time cycling with the last
digit of the seconds working its way through the complete asci character
set (!!!!!!); when it got back to being a digit then it got into
synch again. If this happened to a higher digit (say the units or tens
digit of the minutes) then the clock would clearly lose a chunk.

I scrapped the control panel because my version forced the time down
to the lower minute. Thus, my clock lost on average 30 seconds on each
restart. Is there a better/newer control panel which fixes this?

ps. With this alarm clock accessory included it seems that nite might
or might not work. Strange indeed, but fun (it would never happen on
a Mac).

billw@wolf.UUCP (06/06/87)

What's the difference between the GEM clock and the Intelligent Keyboard Clock,
"IKBD" or some such? TWO clocks? Hm.
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw