[comp.sys.atari.st] How can you send a BREAK?

SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET (NAME NIK ZAPANTIS) (06/22/87)

  I would like to be able to send a BREAK to my RS-232 port from my program,
just like UNITERM does with the ALT L or ALT B key.

Could someone please send me a few lines of code, either in C or MD-2, that
would show haw to generate a BREAK and send it out of the RS-232 port of
the 1040ST?

Thank you in advance,

Nik Zapantis
UVIC, Physics
Victoria, B.C.
V8W 2Y2
(604) 721-7729

(system@uvphys.bitnet)

johng@iscuva.ISCS.COM (John Gardner) (06/24/87)

In article <8706230308.AA26681@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET (NAME NIK ZAPANTIS) writes:
>  I would like to be able to send a BREAK to my RS-232 port from my program,
>just like UNITERM does with the ALT L or ALT B key.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Nik Zapantis

To send the break signal, you need to program the 68901's tsr register. If
you put in a hex 0x89 the RS232 port will now send the break signal. Write
tsr with a hex 0x81 to turn it off.

The Atari developer's kit includes a function called Rsconf and basically
if you do something like Rsconf(-1, -1, -1, -1, 0x89, -1); you turn on
break. The -1's tell this function not to change the parameter at that
location. The parameters appear like this,
  Rsconf(speed, flowctl, ucr, rsr, tsr, scr);

Later, JAG

fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA (Michael Fischer) (06/24/87)

johng@iscuva.UUCP (John Gardner) writes:
> The Atari developer's kit includes a function called Rsconf ...

This is an XBIOS routine built into TOS and not a part of the developer's kit.
It can be called from any language that provides access to the system primitives.

--Mike Fischer  <fischer@yale.arpa>

-------