[comp.sys.atari.st] Current Status of ST Emulation Packages

tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (06/18/87)

I'm a relativve newcomer to this newsgroup, although I have gone
through some of the news available on our Unix system.  I wondered
if someone could give a comprehensive update on the availability
of emulation packages on the ST computers (or, at least, fill in
whatever information you may have).

I'd be interested in the following and other emulation systems:

(a) I understand the Atari Corp. has released a CP/M emulation
package into the p.d.  I presume that this utilizes the on-board
DEC VT52 terminal emulation, so that CP/M packages could be installed
for VT52 and run on the ST.

(b) I have read several news items about "8 bit emulation."  Since
the CP/M emulator is already available, should I presume that this
"8-bit emulation" if for emulation of 8-bit Atari computers?  If
not, then what is all this talk about?

(c) I have heard that a company in Florida has available a product
(is it PCDITTO?) which emulates a pc-compatible computer with CGA
graphics on an Atari with medium-resolution color.  Is this for
real?  What does it cost?  Any chance they'll have a monochrome-
compatible version.

(d) Many months ago I read in one of Jerry Pournelle's columns that
he had actually seen a package that would allow an ST (or was it
an Amiga? no offense intended--) to run MacIntosh software.  He
explained further that Apple intended to fight this tooth-and-nail.
Did anything ever come of it?

I'll appreciate any further information on these and other emulation
packages.

Ted A. Campbell
Duke Divinity School
Durham, NC  27707
email:  tcamp@ecsvax

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/18/87)

In article <3423@ecsvax.UUCP>, tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:

> (a) I understand the Atari Corp. has released a CP/M emulation
> package into the p.d.  I presume that this utilizes the on-board
> DEC VT52 terminal emulation, so that CP/M packages could be installed
> for VT52 and run on the ST.

I haven't bothered to check out the CP/M-86 emulator, but it is public
domain. I have seen it on numberous BBS systems, so availability is no
problem. I also have no idea about the VT52 aspect, but I would assume
that since it's already there, in the VDI, it is taken advantage of.

> (b) I have read several news items about "8 bit emulation."  Since
> the CP/M emulator is already available, should I presume that this
> "8-bit emulation" if for emulation of 8-bit Atari computers?  If
> not, then what is all this talk about?

Darek Mihocka, a Canadian, has written a program for the ST that will
emulate an 8-bit Atari. A while back, on one of his other programs, he
said "watch for the ST Transformer: 3-in-1 6502 Emulation: Atari, C-64
and Apple II." I don't know about the current status of the C-64 and
Apple parts, but the Atari 8bit emulator is about to be published in
Antic. (See related articles, this newsgroup.)

> (c) I have heard that a company in Florida has available a product
> (is it PCDITTO?) which emulates a pc-compatible computer with CGA
> graphics on an Atari with medium-resolution color.  Is this for
> real?  What does it cost?  Any chance they'll have a monochrome-
> compatible version.

I've heard of the program, but know nothing about it.

> (d) Many months ago I read in one of Jerry Pournelle's columns that
> he had actually seen a package that would allow an ST (or was it
> an Amiga? no offense intended--) to run MacIntosh software.  He
> explained further that Apple intended to fight this tooth-and-nail.
> Did anything ever come of it?

The Magic Sac is a cartridge for the ST that provides it, I hear, with
near-perfect Macintosh emulation. I beleve it costs something like
$99. I haven't heard about Apple complaining, but you can be sure that
if/when they hear about it, they will. It's foreordained.
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

ritchie@hplsdla.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (06/22/87)

>> (a) I understand the Atari Corp. has released a CP/M emulation
>> package into the p.d.  I presume that this utilizes the on-board
>> DEC VT52 terminal emulation, so that CP/M packages could be installed
>> for VT52 and run on the ST.
>
>I haven't bothered to check out the CP/M-86 emulator, but it is public
>domain. I have seen it on numberous BBS systems, so availability is no
>problem. I also have no idea about the VT52 aspect, but I would assume
>that since it's already there, in the VDI, it is taken advantage of.

   You mean CPM-80 emulator, I assume? To my knowledge, there is no
   CPM-86 emulator.

>> (d) Many months ago I read in one of Jerry Pournelle's columns that
>> he had actually seen a package that would allow an ST (or was it
>> an Amiga? no offense intended--) to run MacIntosh software.  He
>> explained further that Apple intended to fight this tooth-and-nail.
>> Did anything ever come of it?
>
>The Magic Sac is a cartridge for the ST that provides it, I hear, with
>near-perfect Macintosh emulation. I beleve it costs something like
>$99. I haven't heard about Apple complaining, but you can be sure that
>if/when they hear about it, they will. It's foreordained.

  Magic Sac is being marketed by Data Pacific of Denver CO with Apple's
(probably reluctant) blessing. However, you still have to buy a set of Mac
64K ROMS (original board took EPROM's.... Data Pacific agreed to ROMS to
slow down/stop piracy of the Mac ROM set) from an Apple dealer. Also, you
be aware of some problems wit Magic Sac. It can't be used directly with
Mac disks (due to different data encoding scheme of Mac's versus ST's),
and it will not always work with all Mac programs.

>Bill Wisner
>..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw
>----------

Dave Ritchie ..!hplabs!hp-lsd!ritchie

pete@utgpu.UUCP (06/23/87)

In article <3423@ecsvax.UUCP> tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:

>I'm a relativve newcomer to this newsgroup, although I have gone
>through some of the news available on our Unix system.  I wondered
>if someone could give a comprehensive update on the availability
>of emulation packages on the ST computers (or, at least, fill in
>whatever information you may have).
>
>I'd be interested in the following and other emulation systems:

	Ok, Heres the Scoop:

CP/M:
	Atari did in fact release a CP/M system into the public domain.
(only after pirate versions so flooded the market that it became non-
saleable). It works, though it has a bug or two. I believe the major
one is some problems with the parity/overflow flag in the Z80 emulation.
(Atari, or whoever, made the mistake of following the 8080 conventions
which are diferent than the Z80). Please note that I am working from
memory here, so I may be wrong about the specifics of this bug.
	In summary, it is a neat emulator, that even allows you to
use you hard disk... Then again who wants to run an 8 bit?? :-{)

MacIntosh:
	This package is called the Magic Sac. Put simply, it is probably
the most amazing hunk of patching ever put together for a computer.
	The latest version, (4.2 accept no substitutes!) is miles better
than the original. A LOT of mac software runs beautifully, most of it
taking advantage of the ST's bigger screen. When running the thing, it
seems like you are using a Mac, only better. Data Pacific now offers
a printer driver for epson-types (optional/extra), and a real time clock.
	Promisses for the future (D.P. *IS* trustworthy): Hard disk
support, including boot drive, extended memory models (over 1 meg), and
Laser Printer support, and mac disk format support (currently uses a
wierd homebrew format).
	*Highest Recomendations* (if ya got the Mac software!)

IBM:
	The now *EXTREMELY OVERDUE* hardware IBM emulator from Atari
is scheduled for September (Come on guys, I could'a Knitted one by
now!!! :-{). They do say it is impressive, then again so is MOST
VAPOURWARE!
	There is at least one software emulator available, but unless
you are a glutton for punishment, and WANT to run an 8088 at the
speed of an 8008, you would probably be best to save your money.

	Pete Santangeli
	pete@utgpu

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (06/24/87)

[]

A little correction: the Atari PC, an IBM-PC clone, is expected to start
selling soon (as in a few months).  It has NOTHING to do with the ST.
The 8086 hardware add-on box for the ST is, I personally suspect, well,
just forget it.  Too bad they mentioned it a year ago and wetted our
appetites...

FLAME ON:

There is no reason why Atari should make each and every piece of hardware
we might want.  There are good reasons, though, why they should stop promising
what they cannot deliver, thus letting the third parties in to react to the
demand where it exists.

FLAME OFF.

Question: will Atari convert the STs to a 1.4-Megabyte disk format compatible
with the new IBM PS/2 machines?

- Moshe Braner

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (06/25/87)

In article <1502@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>Question: will Atari convert the STs to a 1.4-Megabyte disk format compatible
>with the new IBM PS/2 machines?
>
>- Moshe Braner

I doubt it.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the drives on the PS/2 series using some kind of
propriatory drive/controller combo that makes them ultra expensive?? (and also
not compatible with the drives in the current ST's)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (06/25/87)

in article <12901@topaz.rutgers.edu>, lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) says:

> In article <1502@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>>Question: will Atari convert the STs to a 1.4-Megabyte disk format compatible
>>with the new IBM PS/2 machines?
>>
>>- Moshe Braner
>
> If I'm not mistaken, aren't the drives on the PS/2 series using some kind of
> propriatory drive/controller combo that makes them ultra expensive?? (and also
> not compatible with the drives in the current ST's)
>
> --
> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu <-----OR-----> {seismo|ames}!rutgers!topaz!lachac

NO.  The drives are pretty much off-the-shelf units of 1.44 mb 3.5".  The
controller is a standard high-density controller (like those used in ATs)
that support higher bit rates on drives that handle it (1.2 mb 5.25" drives
are of this type).

If a high density controller were built into the ST, then we could take
advantage of these drives (including 8", too!  WOW!).

Then, (for an MS-DOS machine) the disk format must either be supported in
the ROM or a handler must be installed.  I imagine it would be supported in
the ROM if an ST ever came with this built in.

But is it so important?  The going price for 2 mb 3.5" floppies is about $6
a piece.  I prefer taking more room with the smaller disks :-)

--
MANNERS:  Just say no _t_h_a_n_k _y_o_u!

Dragon Technology!!       {hplabs,ames,sun,etc.}!oliveb!olivej!dragon