[comp.sys.atari.st] Best C Compiler?

morrison@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Scott Morrison) (06/12/87)

I just bought an ST, and I'm wondering which is the best C compiler for
the machine.  I've noticed many people in this group seem to use the Mark
Williams C compiler.  Is this considered the best?
					Scott Morrison
					morrison@Berkeley.EDU.ARPA

pes@bath63.UUCP (06/18/87)

Careful, you're likely to start the old religious war again.  It seems mostly
to be a matter of taste, but I still like Lattice C.  However, if you do
get Lattice, MAKE SURE you get the latest rev (compiler version 3.04 or later,
bundled as the 'Lattice C Development Package' or something like that) and
not an older version that's been sitting around some dealer's shelves for
months.  (The base price is the same, but if you end up with an older one you'd
have to pay extra for an upgrade which you definitely would want.)

peter@megamax.UUCP (Peter Taliancich) (06/23/87)

In article <19345@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> morrison@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Scott Morrison) writes:

>I just bought an ST, and I'm wondering which is the best C compiler for
>the machine.  I've noticed many people in this group seem to use the Mark
>Williams C compiler.  Is this considered the best?
>					Scott Morrison
>					morrison@Berkeley.EDU.ARPA

That one is easy.

Use Megamax C!

--
peter@megamax

uucp:	{texsun,killer,infotel}!pollux!megamax!peter
voice:	(214) 987-4931

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (06/26/87)

In article <811@megamax.UUCP>, peter@megamax.UUCP (Peter Taliancich) writes:
> >I just bought an ST, and I'm wondering which is the best C compiler for
> >the machine.  I've noticed many people in this group seem to use the Mark
> >Williams C compiler.  Is this considered the best?
> >					Scott Morrison
> >					morrison@Berkeley.EDU.ARPA
>
> That one is easy.
>
> Use Megamax C!
> peter@megamax

Nothing like a vested interested!   Heh. Heh.

Actually I have both Megamax and Mark Williams Cs.  Both are good products.
I actually prefer Megamax (YES...i have MWC 2.0) for speed and also the
package is more complete package in as far as GEM is concerned.  Megamax
bundles a Resource Editor which is pretty good.  The Megamax Resource
Editor unlike the Atari Resource Construction Set allows you to edit
icons (Atari includes an Icon Editor which is seperate from RCP).
I also (surprisingly) don't mind their (megamax) mouse-based Editor
(tho' it has some problems).  One negative that will be remedied shortly
(How shortly??? Pete?) is a 32K segment limit.  Another negative is
Megamax's graphical shell is somewhat limiting tho' you can use other
shells with it.

MWC 2.0 contains a weak System V -ish shell.  MWC 2.0 provides alot of
calls which are compatible with Unix.  The MWC documentation is excellent
tho' i hate the arrangement (alphabetical).
MWC 2.0 has *alot* of good things going for it. The negative for MWC is
no Resource Construction Set.