[comp.sys.atari.st] Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell

tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) (06/29/87)

Has anyone tried the Beckemeyer multitasking shell for the STs?
I'd be interested in hearing reactions.

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (06/29/87)

In article <3462@ecsvax.UUCP> tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:
>Has anyone tried the Beckemeyer multitasking shell for the STs?
>I'd be interested in hearing reactions.

I'm used it a bit and am mostly happy with it. There are a lot of UNIX-like
utilities that come as a part of it and I appreciate the ability to
run 'gem' programs. Beckmeyer (and his BBS) are very approachable.
There are a few bugs (but what else is new :-). I recommend it.

On the other hand, MINIX will be out for the ST within a few months (I
think) so you might want to wait depending on if you care about being
able to run GEM programs under your "shell". Actually, I assume I'll
be using both eventually.

--
voice: (415) 823-2441	uucp: {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!jmc
Where am I? In the village. Whose side are you on? That would be telling.

gert@nikhefh.UUCP (Gert Poletiek) (06/30/87)

In article <3462@ecsvax.UUCP> tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:

>Has anyone tried the Beckemeyer multitasking shell for the STs?
>I'd be interested in hearing reactions.

I've tried it one afternoon sometime ago. It looks nice on the outside, but
has too many disadvantages to be useful:

	- it takes up far too much memory
	- memory will fragmented in no time if you run a background job
	- (Tools) TeX and Absoft FORTRAN (and a number of other applications)
	  cannot be run by it.

With the quality of ST applications improving I kinda forgot where the reset
button is located; after experimenting with the multitasking shell I knew
exactly where the reset button is.

Gert Poletiek.