[comp.sys.atari.st] MINIX on the ATARI ST

ADMIN@spectrix.UUCP (ADMIN) (07/01/87)

I  asked about Minix on the ST. I have the answer ...
Unfortunately, due to a file system crash, I cannot directly copy the
response, but here is a precis of it:

From Andy Tanenbaum:

1) Minix itself is roughly 80% done; utilities yet to be done (depending
   on modifying the existing compiler to 68000/Atari
2) The book from Prentice Hall (Operating Systems: Design and Implementation)
   will not be updated until 1992.
3) No firm date yet for when Minix on the ST will be available.

One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ? And what sort of hard drives are
available for the ST (all I have seen is 20 Mb).

Russell Crook (...!seismo!{mnetor,utzoo}!spectrix!rmc)

kevin@LINDY.STANFORD.EDU (Kevin Burnett) (07/02/87)

In article <296@spectrix.UUCP> ADMIN@spectrix.UUCP writes:
->One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
->reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ? And what sort of hard drives are
->available for the ST (all I have seen is 20 Mb).
From what I understand, Minix will run on an IBM PC with two floppy disk
drives (360K variety), so I'd think that you'd be able to run it on an
ST with 1 double-sided drive...

--
Kevin Burnett
Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre / Santa Clara Class of '88

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (07/02/87)

in article <296@spectrix.UUCP>, ADMIN@spectrix.UUCP (ADMIN) says:

> One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
> reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ? And what sort of hard drives are
> available for the ST (all I have seen is 20 Mb).
>
> Russell Crook (...!seismo!{mnetor,utzoo}!spectrix!rmc)

Supra makes large model hard disks.  At the recent World Of Atari expo in
Santa Clara,  Supra showed a 250mb (!) hard disk.

Berkeley Micro Systems has an interface board (set) that will allow one to
connect just about any ST506/412 or SCSI interfaced hard disk.

I don't know much about them, but BTL apparently offers the same sort of
setup as well as ready to run units.

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (07/02/87)

In article <296@spectrix.UUCP> rmc@spectrix.UUCP (Russell Crook) writes:

>One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
>reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ?

I'm running Minix comfortably in two megabytes.  I have all
of the file system and kernel sources and .s files on line,
all of the binaries from /bin and /usr/bin and all of the
stuff in /lib, etc., since I don't use any RAM disk at all.
And I still have gobs of room to play.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (07/03/87)

If MINIX on the ST will be similar to the IBM-PC version, it won't require
much in terms of disk space.  MINIX is designed to be usable off a FLOPPY.
It is compact and so are the utilities (about 1K each) and the commonly used
utilities are kept in a RAMdisk.  If it can run on a 640K RAM / 360K disk
machine I'm sure it will run on a 1 (2?4?) Meg RAM / 720K disk machine.
The compactness of MINIX is its major advantage over other UNIX lookalikes
and other multi-tasking schemes.  Now if it was just completed...

- Moshe Braner

PS: don't worry, you'll need those 20 Megs for TeX 71