Date:         Mon 6 Jul 87 15:34:25 PDT
Sender:       "Local redistribution of Info-Atari16@SU-SCORE.ARPA"
              <INFO-A16@DB0TUI11>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was INFO-A16@MARIST
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was INFO-A16@DEARN
From:         Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #261
To:           Thomas Habernoll <HABERNOL@DB0TUI11>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, July  6, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 261

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                       Re: mangled dcformat.uue
                         Re: Fry's & repairs
                              Smalltalk
                      Another (minor) UUCICO bug
                 Re: Problems with PD UUCICO!? - (nf)
                   YMMS (Yet More Munching Squares)
     Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
     Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
                encryption, decryption, files, binary
                           DEGAS, not DECUS
            Re: More ST Floating Point Performance - (nf)
                            Hard disk info

Date: 18 Jun 87 21:30:49 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!sbcs!pmt@decwrl.dec.com  (Phil Tromovitch)
Subject: Re: mangled dcformat.uue
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> The dcformat uuencoded file was mangled when it arrived here.  Starting at
> line 210 of the (edited) uuencoded file, we got:
>
> M%+;U&@]c,!C'L9[*P0Q_L0"($'*>4P'VP0Q_00#"0' 28!_,\!?;H C  @#N$
> MPM, H & (4L#$
> M\+UK/!".X (3X FK$$PPL *IP;YGP 0PL *I\<OJO<9L  ,KD!JESF.8T3$_$
>
> Did anyone out there get a good copy - and if so, could you please post
> those three lines to the net (I'm sure we're not the only ones with this
> problem).

  Here are 5 lines from that uuencoded file, with the 3 lines that you
requested being the midlle 3 lines.  Good lunk.

M\I,Z P 63R3\8 ;@"!1N:$1A>]](I@OSL&&/4*4GG%K0GPZ>8'E$8B0O=P9&$
M%+;U&@]c,!C'L9[*P0Q_L0"($'*>4P'VP0Q_00#"0' 28!_,\!?;H C  @#N$
MPM, H & (B@Nc"9T B=RPMX#00TVR & 4ISQ%+;W323R= R>(/45F#$\0B3,$
M\!>#37 <8!_,\!?;0 +  @"YQ=, D & <C='GT 0TQJ.H',98!_,\!?:8 ]3$
M(BP\#0 ; "@P\!?5D!L5F#$\0B3,\!<#T-<U)Q0;8!_,\!?:X M38@(V. * $
--

CSNET:pmt@sbcs.csnet
UUCP :{allegra, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!pmt

  In the path of our happiness shall we find the learning for which
we have choosen this lifetime.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jun 87 14:52:00 GMT
From: imagen!atari!portal!cup.portal.com!Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Re: Fry's & repairs
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I hat to tell you, I like Fry's myself, bought my VCR there, but anyone can
get the whole mother board replaced in their 520 St on an exchange basis, with
a brand new one for $95. Just contact Atari Customer service at 408-745-5759 or
745-2367.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jun 87 23:19:29 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!utcsri!utegc!utai!jpierre@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Smalltalk
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I read a while back that Smalltalk 80 had been ported to the ST somewhere
in Germany. I am currently working with Smalltalk/V on a PC AT and I
would like to have some version of Smalltalk on the 1040. Could anyone
tell me where to phone or write to get a smalltalk package. Thanks.

Jean-Pierre Corriveau
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Toronto, Toronto
CANADA M5S 1A4

USENET:    {utzoo,floyd,linus,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utai!jpierre
ARPA:    jpierre%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
CSNet:  jpierre@ai.toronto.edu
EAN:    jpierre@ai.toronto.cdn
UUCP:   jpierre@utai.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 87 20:34:17 GMT
From: amdahl!drivax!holloway@ames.arpa  (Bruce Holloway)
Subject: Another (minor) UUCICO bug
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The date in the logfile is off by a month. Toldja it was trivial.

- Bruce
--
Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict    {seismo,sun}!amdahl!drivax!holloway
ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                                ALBATROSS @ Delphi

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 87 20:40:50 GMT
From: amdahl!drivax!holloway@ames.arpa  (Bruce Holloway)
Subject: Re: Problems with PD UUCICO!? - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8000006@rmi.UUCP> hikaru@rmi.UUCP writes:

>MASTER Mode:
>1. When the program is started with "uucico -r1", it prints a line for
>   every system in l.sys and 'says' NO WORK, even though I have created
>   work files with names according to the docs.

I found the same thing. I haven't tried taking all the sample files, and
just replacing the names with the ones appropriate to my site, but that
might be something.

>2. When the program is started with "uucico -r1 -ssysname", it calls the
>   remote system specified, gets past login and Shere=sysname, sends some
>   characters, and then hangs up.

Hmmm... this worked for me. I sent mail to myself (anything!me) from drivax,
then went home, ran UUCICO -r1 -sdrivax, and (after a bit of a delay - why?)
UUCICO called up DRI, transferred the files, then hung up. No problems.

The UUCP login I used has UUCICO in slave mode as the shell. But if it comes
up with Shere=, then you probably have that right, too.

Eagerly awaiting the source and bug fixes,
Bruce

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 87 17:33:13 GMT
From: amdahl!drivax!holloway@ames.arpa  (Bruce Holloway)
Subject: YMMS (Yet More Munching Squares)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Yet another munching squares program. This one is entirely written in assembly,
and works in all resolutions. It was assembled with the assembler that comes
with the Atari ST Developer's Kit.

It takes one argument - the seed value, which defaults to 0881. It munches
the screen twice, then exits. There is one compile time switch which determines
the length of a side - the smaller, the faster. The length of a side is
2**SIDE pixels.

This works best from a shell, such as ASH or GULAM, but works okay from the
desktop. Also, with a little work, this program could be made to do interesting
fades from one screen to another - replacing the "Eor" statements with a
command to get the appropriate bits from a screen buffer, and removing the
"Lsl.L    #2,D7" statement at the bottom of the paragraph that starts with
"gudarg:".

(The Lsl.L statement sets the number of munches -

    Shift #        # Munches
    =============    ===============
    0        .5
    1        1
    2        2
    3        4
    4        8 etc.
)

   -- Cut Here -- Cut Here -- Cut Here -- Cut Here -- Cut Here -- Cut Here --

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create:
#    munch.s
#    munch.uue
# This archive created: Thu Jun 18 09:23:01 1987
# By:    Bruce Holloway (Digitalis Research, Inc.)
export PATH; PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
echo shar: "extracting 'munch.s'" '(3292 characters)'
if test -f 'munch.s'
then
    echo shar: "will not over-write existing file 'munch.s'"
else
sed 's/~    X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'munch.s'
    X    .Data
    Xrez    Dc.W    0
    X    .Text
    XSIDE    Equ    10
    X    .Globl    main,loop
    Xmain:    Move    #4,-(SP)    Get screen resolution
    X    Trap    #14
    X    Move    D0,rez
    X    Add    #2,SP
    X    Move    #2,-(SP)    Get the physical base of the screen
    X    Trap    #14
    X    Add    #2,SP
    X    Clr.L    D4    Seed the (dare I?) seed
    X    Move.L    4(SP),A0    Get the base address
    X    Add    #$80,A0        Get the address of the command tail
    X    Cmp.B    #0,(A0)        If nothing there, continue
    X    Beq    noarg
    Xgetarg:    Add    #1,A0
    X    Cmp.B    #$20,(A0)    A space?
    X    Beq    getarg        Then continue
    X    Cmp.B    #$30,(A0)    Not a number?
    X    Blt    noarg        Then exit.
    X    Cmp.B    #$39,(A0)
    X    Bgt    noarg
    X    Lsl.L    #1,D4        Multiply it by 10
    X    Move.L    D4,D3
    X    Lsl.L    #2,D4
    X    Add.L    D3,D4
    X    Move.B    (A0),D3        Add the digit
    X    Sub    #$30,D3
    X    Ext.L    D3
    X    Add.L    D3,D4
    X    Bra    getarg
    Xnoarg:    Or.L    D4,D4        Null argument?
    X    Bne    gudarg
    X    Move.L    #0881,D4    Then fill it with a default value.
    Xgudarg:    Move.L    D0,A1        And save it for later use
    X    Clr.L    D3        Clear the accumulator
    X    Move    #SIDE,D5    Shift amount
    X    Move    #1,D6        Number of bits set == D5
    X    Lsl    D5,D6
    X    Move    D6,D7        Get repetition count
    X    Sub    #1,D6
    X    Mulu    D7,D7        Square it - 1/2 iteration
    X    Lsl.L    #2,D7        8 full iterations
    X    Move    rez,D0        Go to correct handler
    X    Beq    loop0
    X    Cmp    #2,D0
    X    Beq    loop2
    Xloop:    Move    #0,D1        Initially clear X & Y
    X    Move    D1,D2
    X    Move    D3,D1        Set X = Lower ten bits
    X    And    D6,D1
    X    Cmp    #640,D1        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc
    X    Move.L    D3,D2        Set Y = Upper ten bits
    X    Lsr.L    D5,D2
    X    And    D6,D2
    X    Cmp    #200,D2        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc
    X    Move.L    A1,A0        Get screen address
    X    Lsl    #5,D2        Add in the row offset
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Lsl    #2,D2
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Move    D1,D0        Add in the column offset
    X    Lsr    #4,D0
    X    Lsl    #2,D0
    X    Add    D0,A0
    X    Move.L    #$80008000,D0    Now make the bitmask
    X    And    #$F,D1
    X    Lsr.L    D1,D0
    X    Eor.L    D0,(A0)        Munch the bits
    X*    Move.L    D0,(A0)
    Xacc:    Add.L    D4,D3        Bump the accumulator
    X    Sub.L    #1,D7        And continue for a while...
    X    Bne    loop
    Xout:    Clr    -(SP)        Exit
    X    Move    #$4C,-(SP)
    X    Trap    #1
    Xloop0:    Move    #0,D1        Initially clear X & Y
    X    Move    D1,D2
    X    Move    D3,D1        Set X = Lower ten bits
    X    And    D6,D1
    X    Cmp    #320,D1        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc0
    X    Move.L    D3,D2        Set Y = Upper ten bits
    X    Lsr.L    D5,D2
    X    And    D6,D2
    X    Cmp    #200,D2        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc0
    X    Move.L    A1,A0        Get screen address
    X    Lsl    #5,D2        Add in the row offset
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Lsl    #2,D2
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Move    D1,D0        Add in the column offset
    X    Lsr    #4,D0
    X    Lsl    #3,D0
    X    Add    D0,A0
    X    Move.L    #$80008000,D0    Now make the bitmask
    X    And    #$F,D1
    X    Lsr.L    D1,D0
    X    Eor.L    D0,(A0)+    Munch the bits
    X    Eor.L    D0,(A0)
    Xacc0:    Add.L    D4,D3        Bump the accumulator
    X    Sub.L    #1,D7        And continue for a while...
    X    Bne    loop0
    X    Jmp    out
    Xloop2:    Move    #0,D1        Initially clear X & Y
    X    Move    D1,D2
    X    Move    D3,D1        Set X = Lower ten bits
    X    And    D6,D1
    X    Cmp    #640,D1        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc0
    X    Move.L    D3,D2        Set Y = Upper ten bits
    X    Lsr.L    D5,D2
    X    And    D6,D2
    X    Cmp    #400,D2        Continue if outside screen
    X    Bge    acc0
    X    Move.L    A1,A0        Get screen address
    X    Lsl    #4,D2        Add in the row offset
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Lsl    #2,D2
    X    Add    D2,A0
    X    Move    D1,D0        Add in the column offset
    X    Lsr    #4,D0
    X    Lsl    #1,D0
    X    Add    D0,A0
    X    Move    #$8000,D0    Now make the bitmask
    X    And    #$F,D1
    X    Lsr    D1,D0
    X    Eor    D0,(A0)        Munch the bits
    Xacc2:    Add.L    D4,D3        Bump the accumulator
    X    Sub.L    #1,D7        And continue for a while...
    X    Bne    loop2
    X    Jmp    out
    X    End
SHAR_EOF
if test 3292 -ne "`wc -c < 'munch.s'`"
then
    echo shar: "error transmitting 'munch.s'" '(should have been 3292
 characters)'
fi
fi
echo shar: "extracting 'munch.uue'" '(540 characters)'
if test -f 'munch.uue'
then
    echo shar: "will not over-write existing file 'munch.uue'"
else
sed 's/~    X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'munch.uue'
    Xbegin 644 munch.prg
    XM8!H   %.     @                       #\\  1.3C/    !3E1//SP
    XM DY.5$]"A"!O  30_ " #!   &<H4D@,$  @9_@,$  P;1H,$  Y;A3CC"8$
    XMY8S8@Q80EGP ,$C#V(-@V(B$9@8H/    W$B0$*#>@I\ >MN/@931L['Y8\P
    XM.0   4YG4+!\  )G  "2<@ T 3(#PD:R? * ;"PD ~JJQ$:T? #(;" @2>M*
    XMT,+E2M#", 'H2.5(T, @/(  @ #"?  /XJBQD-:$4X=FP$)G/SP 3$Y!<@ T
    XM 3(#PD:R? % ;"XD ~JJQ$:T? #(;"(@2>M*T,+E2M#", 'H2.=(T, @/(
    XM@ #"?  /XJBQF+&0UH13AV:~3OD   "Z<@ T 3(#PD:R? * ;.8D ~JJQ$:T
    XM? &0;-H@2>E*T,+E2M#", 'H2.-(T, P/(  PGP #~)HL5#6A%.'9L).~0
    X, +H       ADFD0
    Xend
SHAR_EOF
if test 540 -ne "`wc -c < 'munch.uue'`"
then
    echo shar: "error transmitting 'munch.uue'" '(should have been 540
 characters)'
fi
fi
exit 0
#    End of shell archive
--

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jun 87 17:49:20 GMT
From: phoenix!pucc!6089031@princeton.edu  (Shantanu Saha)
Subject: Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

FLAME WARNING!!!

In article <2315@hoptoad.uucp>, sunny@hoptoad.uucp (Sunny David Kirsten) writes:

>ANY Taxation of ANY communications is a violation of your
>constitutional right to FREEdom of speech.  Refuse to have
>your constitutional rights violated.  We legally live in
>a constitutional republic, not a democracy.  Don't let those
>clones in Washington get away with their continued attempts
>to invalidate and obsolete the constitution.

Yo! People!  THE PROPOSED RULE CHANGE IS NOT A TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anti-taxation garbage of this kind is bad enough when it refers to a
real, honest-to-God tax.  In reference to a proposal which allows a
provider of service to CHARGE A FEE for the SERVICE which THEY ARE
PROVIDING in order to make a PROFIT, it is more than I can take.

It takes a warped mind indeed to see in the first amendment a restriction
of the government's right to place reasonable excise taxes on the
provision of a service, just because the service happens to involve
the transfer of information.

It takes a fanatic to attempt to apply this kind of reasoning in the
instant case.

>                                              BTW... I've
>heard The Phone Company will honor your refusals to pay
>taxes on your phone bill.  Just send in the correct amount
>less any taxes they charged you with the statement that they
>are in violation of your right to free speech.

I doubt it.  Have you done it?  Has anyone on the net?  Or is this
another rumor like the one about the case which is supposed to prove
the Income Tax unconstitutional, but which in reality either does not
exist, or turns out to be a rehash of arguments so long discredited
that they are considered frivolous?

Robert A. West     (Q4071@PUCC)
US MAIL: 7 Lincoln Place / Suite A / North Brunswick, NJ 08902
VOICE  : (201) 821-7055

..!seismo!princeton!phoenix!pucc!q4071

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 87 00:05:56 GMT
From: tybalt.caltech.edu!woody@csvax.caltech.edu  (William Edward Woody)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <2315@hoptoad.uucp> sunny@hoptoad.UUCP (David Kirsten) writes:
>ANY Taxation of ANY communications is a violation of your
>constitutional right to FREEdom of speech.

HOWEVER, even though you are guarenteed freedom of speech by the first
amendment of the United States constitution, this amendment DOES NOT
provide for the free distribution of what you have to say.  Back in the
olden times they had to pay for the paper and the printing press time
(and for the tax on the paper and the printing press); now, we pay
communications tarriffs.  You're still free to say what you wish, however.

Not that I support the new proposed FCC tax ruling; just noting that
"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."
- William Woody                          Mac! > ][n && /|\
  woody@tybalt.caltech.edu
  woody@juliet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jun 87 21:11:18 GMT
From: vanvleck!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin@rsch.wisc.edu  (Martin Wiedemeyer)
Subject: encryption, decryption, files, binary
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've seen some files posted here in a form I'm not familiar with. I have seen
some mention of a .TTP called UUENCODE and another called UUDECODE. Where are
they available? I have an account on GEnie, my address there is MP WIEDMEYER.
Any responses would be appreciated. Thank you!

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 87 21:26:36 GMT
From: pt!andrew.cmu.edu!df1b+@cs.rochester.edu  (David R. Fulmer)
Subject: DEGAS, not DECUS
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Sorry, in my post asking about the ST pictures I said DECUS when I meant
DEGAS.  Does that clear up some confusion out there ?  I still need to know
the format though.

Any help appreciated . . .

Dave Fulmer
df1b#@andrew.cmu.edu
r750df1b@cmccvb (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jun 87 21:02:19 GMT
From: labrea!rocky!ali@decwrl.dec.com  (Ali Ozer)
Subject: Re: More ST Floating Point Performance - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <19400004@qtecmuc.UUCP> ger@qtecmuc.UUCP writes:
>According to Kernighan&Ritchie (Appendix A, 6.2 on page 184 in my copy)
>'all floating point arithmetic in C is carried out in double
>precision'.  Therefore, if manx on the AMIGA really uses one longword
>for floating point evaluations it simply isn't real C and benchmarks
>with this compiler are pure nonsens if compared with 'correct'
>C-Compilers using 64bit double precision.

The use of single-word floating point operations is a feature, not a
limitation. Manx gives you various FP modes, among which the IEEE double
and the Motorola FFP. 68881 is also supported. You specify which mode you
want through switches to the compiler and/or linking in the various
libraries...

Now if I have a program that did not need 10+ digits but could get away with
the 7 or so digits Motorola FFP provides, I will certainly use the FFP mode,
considering it is 7 to 8 times faster.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 87 10:11:15 EDT
From: Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Hard disk info
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Landon Dyer says:
> Slight nitpick: Those aren't "don't care" bits --- they are
> reserved and should be zero.  These bits are documented in the ST
> BIOS Reference Manual....

Maybe in your version, but not in the one I paid $300 for with my
Developer's Kit.  In fact, I've never seen the "ST BIOS Reference
Manual"; the documentation I have on the BIOS comes from "The
Hitchhiker's Guide".  How can I get reference manual or an updated
"Hitchhiker's Guide"?

*** FLAME ON ***
Why does Atari seem to work against its developers?  I called Atari
almost a year ago trying to find out how to read the partition sector
on the hard disk and was told that that information was not public
and that they would not tell me.  Now I know the answer because
of the kindness of Schoepf, but no thanks to Atari.  Similarly,
people at Atari have been booting from their hard disks for months
but they wouldn't let anyone else in on the act.  I now am also
booting from my hard disk, but courtesy of Konrad Hahn, not Atari.

Come on, guys.  Why do you want your developers wasting their time
reconstructing information and recreating programs that you already
have in-house?  Wouldn't you rather that they be spending their
time on nifty new software that will sell more machines?
*** FLAME OFF ***

--Mike Fischer  <fischer@yale.arpa>

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------