[comp.sys.atari.st] Formatting options question

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (07/09/87)

On trying DCFORMAT(Thanks, Mike), I noticed a lot of options exist for
formatting disks. You can get the most storage using 82 tracks with 10
sectors but there must be a catch.  What is it?  Can you get fast mode
to work with 10 sectors or does fast depend on a 9 sector format?  What
about 82 tracks?  Does FAST work?  Can you damage the drive (are you
using a bad part of the diskette) when addressing 82 tracks?

Thanks,

Bart

exodus@uop.UUCP (Freddy Kreuger) (07/10/87)

In article <4723@utah-cs.UUCP>, atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) writes:

> formatting disks. You can get the most storage using 82 tracks with 10
> sectors but there must be a catch.  What is it?  Can you get fast mode
			      ^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^^^^

1. Disk copiers (other than DCFORMAT) usually do not like extended
   formatted disks.  If anything, you must copy the disks in 'protected'
   mode.

2. There are at least two different kinds of drives out there.  A friend
   of mine uses extended a lot and when we passed along disks of PD stuff
   for my BBS, sometimes my drive couldn't read his disks.  So, WARNING:
   if you use extended format disks, use them only for personal use.

3. Disk manufacturers _do not_ test the disk beyond eighty tracks.  As many
   people know, you can use single-sided disks in double-sided format and
   you usually have no problems.  I _have_ had problems doing that (on my
   old 800 with the clunky 810 drive and on my ST).  So the extended
   formats are the same-  not guaranteed to work.  So, CAUTION: do not
   use extended format disks for important data.

4. Neil Harris doesn't recommend using non-standard formats.  SO THERE!!
   (I have mail from him somewhere that says this...)

**Greg Onufer

--
Greg Onufer (exodus)    1040ST        | Mail: University of the Pacific
GEnie: G.ONUFER         No less!      | UTH c21, Stockton, CA 95211

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Univ ATARI Comp Enthusiasts) (07/13/87)

In article <4723@utah-cs.UUCP>, atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) writes:

> On trying DCFORMAT(Thanks, Mike), I noticed a lot of options exist for
> formatting disks. You can get the most storage using 82 tracks with 10
> sectors but there must be a catch.  What is it?  Can you get fast mode
> to work with 10 sectors or does fast depend on a 9 sector format?  What
> about 82 tracks?  Does FAST work?  Can you damage the drive (are you
> using a bad part of the diskette) when addressing 82 tracks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

Here is the answer Bart.

Some disk drives can only go to 80 tracks.  You can hear them go THUMP at the
end of the format cycle (when trying to format tracks 81 and 82).  Be aware
that you may have one of these drives.  Personally, I know someone who has
one drive that goes to 82 and one that doesn't.  There seems to be no clear-cut
way to determine if your drive is capable of handling the extra tracks, except
by trying it.

Yes, you can have 10 sectors, fast format, and 82 tracks.  And believe me, it
does make a difference.

No drive damage can happen.  The safest way to go is:

If you are making copies for your own use, then use as much as you can get away
with 10 sectors 82 tracks single or double.  If you are going to be swapping
disks with someone, use 80 tracks, 9 sectors, just to be safe.

BTW - A color version of DCFORMAT is done and will be posted soon.

- Mike

--
+  A Smith & Wesson beats a four of a kind!   +      uhnix2!uace0