[comp.sys.atari.st] Returned mail: Deferred: Connection timed out during user open with op

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA01583: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Date:         Sat 11 Jul 87 15:20:45 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #270
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, July 11, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 270

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      Re: MINIX on the ATARI ST
                  Re: Writes to ST Cartridge Ports?
                    Re: New Atari Linker Released!
                             UniTerm ...
                  Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
                      Re: MINIX on the ATARI ST
                     Help with dev kit utilities
   Re: Notice of intent to post Mark Johnson C compiler (shareware)
       Re: Basepage in Lattice C [was: Micro-RTX: Help needed!]
       Re: Basepage in Lattice C [was: Micro-RTX: Help needed!]
           DX7-II, ST, MusiLisp, Crumar Spirit, INFO PLEASE
               UUENCODED files - corruption over BITNET
                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
                             IBM disks...
                 Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 87 00:04:46 PDT
From: Kevin Burnett <kevin@lindy.stanford.edu>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: MINIX on the ATARI ST

In article <296@spectrix.UUCP> ADMIN@spectrix.UUCP writes:
->One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
->reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ? And what sort of hard drives are
->available for the ST (all I have seen is 20 Mb).
From what I understand, Minix will run on an IBM PC with two floppy disk
drives (360K variety), so I'd think that you'd be able to run it on an
ST with 1 double-sided drive...

--
Kevin Burnett
Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre / Santa Clara Class of '88

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 17:55:47 GMT
From: tikal!hplsla!hpvcla!davel@beaver.cs.washington.edu  (David Lowe)
Subject: Re: Writes to ST Cartridge Ports?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

>I am posting this for a friend who wants to tie into the cartridge slot
>of a 512 ST. He is attempting to interface to a video digitizer (from
>BYTE magazine - one of Steve Ciarcia's projects). Does anyone have
>information on what needs to be done in hardware and software to
>accomplish this?

Steve Ciarcia's video digitizer/transmitter aritcles were in two issues
of Byte. One of those issues also carried a hardware project for the ST.
That ST article describes in detail a way to write to the cartridge port.
Also included is a description of why running the R/W line out to the
port won't work. (The project was a real time clock for the ST.)

Speaking of real time clocks; is it feasible to provide battery backup
to the keyboard controller? Thereby keeping it's clock running. Does
GEMDOS set it's clock from the kyboard clock at Power-On/Reset?

Dave Lowe
hp-pcd!hpvcla!davel

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 05:25:52 GMT
From: pyramid!uccba!hal!cwruecmp!bammi@decwrl.dec.com  (Jwahar R. Bammi)
Subject: Re: New Atari Linker Released!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <773@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>If you aren't an Atari developer using Alcyon C, you're not missing
>anything: this tool is strictly for use with the object modules produced
>by Alcyon C and AS68.  (What other languages use this format? Does
>anybody know of one?)

    Personal Pascal does, and supposedly MegaMax 2.0.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi    jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@cwru.edu   <---------Please note change of address

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Jul 87 12:45:56 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: UniTerm ...

UniTerm 1.7b 000-023 have a scrolling region related bug, that under
some circumstances can cause problems with multi-window editors like
EMACS etc.. I'm suprised that nobody reported the problem, since
probably a lot of people must have noticed it.
  Please keep on reporting bugs and problems, normally small problems
(like the one with the scrolling region, which was just a typo)
are fixed within 24 hours and if possible a fixed version will be sent
to you via e-mail.
  Anyway the fixed version 1.7b 027 is available from the usual places,
I don't intend a USENET distribution right now, as a major new release
with a lot of new features  should be available in < 2 months. If
anybody has some good arguments for a USENET distribution of the current
version please e-mail them to me..........

                          Simon Poole
                          K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS: Has anybody ported somekind of source control system to the ST yet?
    I need one!

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 10:35:00 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!qtecmuc!ger@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    in article <19400005@qtecmuc.UUCP>, ger@qtecmuc.UUCP says:
    > does anyone know, if there is a way to distinguish between
    > Functionkey F1, ALT-F1 and CTRL-F1 using C (MWC).
    > All routines like Bconin or Crawcin don't make a difference at all.
    state when the key was hit.  You tell the OS to put the shift
    key state in that byte by setting bit 3 in the (published)
    system variable "conterm" to 1 (that is, *(char *)0x484 |=
    4;).  Better clear it again before your program exits, though,
    because the desktop might not be able to handle it (use *(char
    *)0x484 &= ~4;).

Thank you, it (almost) works fine !!!
But it should be '|= 8' and '&= ~8' in your examples.
                     ^           ^

Gerhard Pehland
UUCP:  ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 15:15:07 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <296@spectrix.UUCP>, ADMIN@spectrix.UUCP (ADMIN) says:

> One further question ... what sort of disk resources are required to
> reasonably run Minix? 10 Mb? 20MB+ ? And what sort of hard drives are
> available for the ST (all I have seen is 20 Mb).
>
> Russell Crook (...!seismo!{mnetor,utzoo}!spectrix!rmc)

Supra makes large model hard disks.  At the recent World Of Atari expo in
Santa Clara,  Supra showed a 250mb (!) hard disk.

Berkeley Micro Systems has an interface board (set) that will allow one to
connect just about any ST506/412 or SCSI interfaced hard disk.

I don't know much about them, but BTL apparently offers the same sort of
setup as well as ready to run units.

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jul 87 21:47:36 GMT
From: sandra@cs.utah.edu  (Sandra J Loosemore)
Subject: Help with dev kit utilities
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anybody have any instructions for using the utility programs "FIND" and
"SID" that come with the developer's kit?  I can't get FIND to find anything,
and the only thing I've found from experimenting with SID is that typing
"R filename" will load your program.  I can't find any documentation at
all about these utilities except a mention of what they are.  Help!!!

-Sandra Loosemore
(sandra@cs.utah.edu, sandra@utah-cs)

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jul 87 23:31:50 GMT
From: tektronix!tekig!tekig4!georgew@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (George Walker)
Subject: Re: Notice of intent to post Mark Johnson C compiler (shareware)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Let me update everyone on the situation regarding the shareware C compiler:
It was posted to the net on May 18, 1987.

I never saw it on the net, but distribution was world, so I suspect some of
you did.  Several sites in Canada wrote to say they had gotten it, but no
one in the US did.  Eric Gisin <egisin@orchid.waterloo.edu> is receiving the
latest version from Mark Johnson, and has offered to post it to the net
after he has checked it out.  The new version has a greatly expanded libc, as
well as a new cc.ttp and as.ttp.

George S. Walker {decvax,hplabs,...}!tektronix!tekig4!georgew    FLAMENET
Tektronix, Inc.     georgew@tekig4.TEK.COM                DOMAIN
(503) 627-4669     tekig4!georgew.tektronix@Udel-Relay        ARPANET

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 87 19:15:32 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!man.psy!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
Subject: Re: Basepage in Lattice C [was: Micro-RTX: Help needed!]
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

It appears from the GEMSTART source that Lattice C (at least 3.04) puts the
basepage address into an xternal variable named _pbase ; give it a try...

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 87 19:22:37 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!man.psy!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Sorry if this shows up twice, not sure I got the distribution right.

Lattice C (version 3.04) seems to pdefine a variable _pbase in the
GEMSTART module, which appears to be used to hold the basepage address.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jun 87 23:39:56 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay@seismo.css.gov  (Kay Dekker)
Subject: DX7-II, ST, MusiLisp, Crumar Spirit, INFO PLEASE
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi, people!

The Faculty of Art and Design at Coventry Polytechnic, England, has
just bought itself a DX7-II synthesiser, so that its AudioVisual
courses can have some Audio content at last...

What we'd like to know is:

    i)  Does anyone out there know of any useful knowledge
    about this beast?  We've just had it dumped on us with
    the message ``Go on, do something creative with it'';
    are there any good books on using it?

    ii) Is there any software that people have that they
    could either give us (not too expensive, we just blew
    the budget on the synth :-)) or tell us about?  We
    have the usual sort of machines (Olivetti M24 PC
    lookalikes, a Mac, and some Atari STs), but I'd much
    prefer to use the ST.
    We'd like things like patch editors and archivers,
    but anything that anyone thinks might be interesting,
    could they please mail me with brief info?

    iii) Somebody (I can't remember who, and it was a while
    ago) mentioned a Lisp system specifically for music
    research.  I think it was called ``MusiLisp'', or something
    fairly close to that.  Does anyone have any info about
    this?  As a radical Lispian, I'd like to do any software
    development in a Lisp-like system.

    iv) (Synth folks) Has anyone out there ever heard of a
    monophonic, analogue synth called the Crumar Spirit?
    I'm the proud (poor) owner of one of these fine instruments (beasts)
    and I wonder if I'm the only one (sucker)...  OK, you can
    stop snickering now and go play with your SynClaviers :-(

                            Kay.

PS:  Please mail me as ...ukc!warwick!covpoly!kay (my work address,
rather than ...ukc!warwick!kay, where I'm only a guest).
--
"Jung'f n tbbq ohqql?  V'yy gryy lbh - n tbbq ohqql tbrf vagb gbja, trgf
 n pbhcyr bs oybjwbof, gura pbzrf onpx naq tvirf lbh bar."

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 07:53:56 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!lithium!andrew@seismo.css.gov  (Andrew B Smith)
Subject: UUENCODED files - corruption over BITNET
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi,

Could someone tell me the character changes that occure when a UUENCODED
file is sent through an IBM host on BITNET (I think ~ is one).

Thank you,

Andrew

Andrew B Smith        |  UUCP:   andrew@kcl-cs.UUCP
Dept. of Computing,    |  JANET:  UDAC041@UK.AC.KCL.CC.VAXA
King's College London,    |  BITNET,
The Strand,        |  EARN:   UDAC041%VAXA.CC.KCL.AC.UK@UKACRL.BITNET
LONDON WC2R 2LS        |
United Kingdom        |  TPHONE: 01-836-5454 ext: 2239

Date: 30 Jun 87 16:08:57 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!reading!onion!brueer!ralph@seismo.css.gov  (Ralph Mitchell)
Subject: Re: Mega-ST release date?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <762@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>> >A question for Atari: Is there an official release date for the Mega-ST?
>> >  Simon Poole
>
>The Mega ST release is imminent.  We see no reason to wait on the laser
                        --------

Is this another way of saying  "Real Soon Now" ??  Does "imminent" refer
to a time span less than  "It's In The Post"  ??  :-) :-)

>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

Ralph Mitchell                 | VOICE: +44 895 74000 Ext 2561
Computer Centre                | ARPA:  ralph%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
Brunel University              | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!ralph
Uxbridge                       | JANET: ralph@uk.ac.brunel.ee
UB8 3PH                        |
UNITED KINGDOM                 |     "Noli illegitemi carborundum"

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 20:50:35 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
Subject: IBM disks...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, at long last we've got a 3.5 inch drive for one of our IBM/PCs.  I've
determined the following..  Using a disk formatted on the IBM, you can
write files on the IBM to be read by the ST, and you can write files on the
ST to be read by the IBM. At least as far as I tried it, you can 'mix and
match'.  That is, you can write some files on the IBM, add some more on the
ST, add some more on the IBM, and so on, and everything works.  (Though
NOTE, keeping Moshe's comments in mind, so far I've only tryed playing
with files on the ROOT of the disk.  Haven't tried folders/subdirectories.

As an experiment, I tried putting some files (on the ST) onto a STANDARD ST
formatted disk (formatted from the desktop menu command).  As rumoured, the
PC could not cope with this disk.  However, our PC guru determined that by
patching 4 bytes in the disk header, the disk could be made to work on the
PC.  These were (all values in HEX):

     offset in boot sector (sector 0)    change
                 00                    from 00 to EB
                 01                     from 00 to 34
                 02                    from 4E to 90
                 36                    from 4E to FA

(Again, note that's 36 HEX.)  The first 3 bytes are a JUMP instruction for
an 8086 family micro.  It is possible that this change might mean you could
not BOOT from this disk on the ST.  Byte 36 is the 'media description byte'
for a 720K (formatted) disk.  A different value is probably required if you
are using a single sided disk (we tried DS).  The Atari can happily read the
patched disk.

Cheers, Paul

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 14:06:16 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!ljdickey@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1583@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(braner) writes:

>I don't think it's the fact that some people write games for the ST that
>gives it a game-machine image.  Lots of games are written for the Mac and
>the IBM!  It's that the brand name 'Atari' has historically been firmly
>attached to video games.

I think Moshe is right about this.  On at least two occasions, I have mentioned
Atari to friends when their kids were present.  The kids got all excited and
asked me if I got a 400 or an 800.  Since then, I have been somewhat on the
defensive.  On another occasion, it was the parents who know about the games
machines.  There is a long range view that could be taken here... when these
kids grow up, they may form a large market base for the company.   Remember
when big blue put its boxes into universities and colleges.  I think that
everybody understood that when the students graduated and found their place
in the business world, they would be positively inclined towards blue computers

                        Lee
--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA19313: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Fri 10 Jul 87 18:52:28 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #269
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, July 10, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 269

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                Re: World of Atari and corrupted files
                         A request for ue3.8i
                         Re: Pascal Compilers
                        where is all the stuff
                  Re: Writes to ST Cartridge Ports?
                                Gulam
                    Re: GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
                 Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari
                          Computer For Sale
                         Re: Pascal compilers
                 help needed with Paintpro by Abacus
                               PC Ditto
                 Parker Brothers VS David Addison...
                             Re: PC Ditto
                    Re: GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
                        MINIX on the ATARI ST

Date: 30 Jun 87 16:17:00 GMT
From: spdcc!m2c!ulowell!apollo!hays@harvard.harvard.edu  (John Hays)
Subject: Re: World of Atari and corrupted files
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1543@oliveb.UUCP> dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll
 touch you) writes:
>I've also been waiting for UUCICO to come across the net, but it
>hasn't reached this site.  If anyone's willing to mail ...
>please do so!  Thanks!

ME TOOOO!

ARPA: apollo!hays@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: hays@apollo.UUCP

--
John D. Hays, Consultant             UUCP: ...!decvax!wanginst!apollo!hays
Corporate Systems Engineering              ...!uw-beaver!apollo!hays

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 02:44:59 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!utcsri!asm@seismo.css.gov
Subject: A request for ue3.8i
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]
Hello Folks.

    I'm interested in getting hold of Microemacs 3.8i for the ST.
    I have the 3.8i sources, but the st520.c file (the ST dependent
    source file) has been written for Megamax and contains inline
    assembler.

    Does anyone have a st520.c that will compile under Mark Williams?
    Failing that, I would appreciate an executable.

            Thanks a heap.

            -anees

--
    Anees Munshi @ University of Toronto Engineering.

    ARPA        asm%csri.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.arpa
    BitNet      asm@utcsri.UTORONTO
    CSNet       asm@csri.toronto.edu
    UUCP        {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!utcsri!asm

    Reality is so much better!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 87 12:01:14 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: Pascal Compilers

Its not the CCD ST-Pascal+/OSS Personal Pascal compiler that limits
the line length to 79 characters, its the editor! For more info on
the upcoming improved version of the compiler (without the 32 kB limit)
have a look at my mail about the annoucement of the new version.

                          Simon
                          K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 00:07:35 EDT
From: Michael R. DeCorte <mrd%clutx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: where is all the stuff

--- small flame ---
If I remember correctly there were five items that atari anounced
a while back and I have yet to hear of them being in anybody hands.

1) unix box.  I WANT this.  Where is it?  Getting a box with a 68020 +
68881 + MMU (pick one) + LOTS of ram + dma port + unix is not that
hard.  Agreed it is not something you do in an afternoon but not
something to take a LONG time with.  So where is it?  Also if it is
not finished PLEASE put a little kick in it. 25Mhz and 2 meg would be
nice; making certain that more memory can be added, say up to 16 meg.
You might say 16 meg is a bit much but I can and have used that kind
of memory on mainframes (lots of processes) and my guess is that there
will not be any sort of virtual memory so having a lot of internal
memory or potential for it is crusial. If it is finished, release it!

2) Blitter.  Come on.  This was supposed to be in the 1040 (at least
according to the Byte interview).

3) mega ST's.  What's a mega st but an st with a blitter and 2 or 4
meg.

4) The Laser printer?

5) The atari pc?

Also how is the rewrite of GEM going?

The rewrite of the developers documentation. (I did by the doc and was
told that there was a rewrite of the documentation in the queue by
Richard Frick.  It could be that no one has told me; I haven't heard
from atari in about a year.)

This is starting to look like a lot of vapor-ware.  I have several
friends who are looking at atari stuff and I have to tell them to
either my something else or wait and hope.

Please, I don't want a bunch of user flamming me.  All I want is dates
from atari +-30 days, when it will be REALLY released.  Meaning on the
shelves in Ithaca, Syracuse and Montreal.

--- flame off ---

Could some kind sole tell me the date, issue, pages and the such for
the 68020 + 68881 mod for the atari that was or is going to be in
one of the German Mag's c't.  I also heard that they had a 4 meg mod.
I would like to interlibrary loan it.

Michael DeCorte
mrd@clutx.clarkson.edu
mrd@clutx.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 04:28:28 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

I put a math chip (NS32081) on the cartridge port of my ST using the
following hardware mod of the ST that I proposed as a standard:

Cut pins 1, 39 and 40 behind the cartridge connector (they are redundant
5V and gnd pins).

Connect pin 1 to the CPU R/W line.

Build a decoder inside the ST (I used one chip, a 74HCT138) that passes
the CPU ~AS signal but only when the address on the address bus is in the
fourth megabyte ($3xxxxx).  Connect that signal to pin 39.

Connect pin 40 to the CPU clock (8 MHz).

You can now write to the cart port using any address in the $3xxxxx range,
and read using the original cartridge port addresses (only!).

You can still use standard cartridges if you cut the traces to pins
1,39,40 inside them.

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 1987 11:17 EDT
From:         Holly Lee Stowe <IHLS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Gulam
To:           <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>

I have been using Gulam to execute outside commands from within my
STadel BBS, however, when I EXIT Gulam and return to the BBS, my cursor
disappears, not to be seen again unless I reboot the BBS or go back to
Gulam (in which case it disappears again when I EXIT).

Any ideas as to why this happens or what I can do to fix it?  I really
miss my cursor.

-Holly
Beware of Quantum Ducks! Quark! Quark!

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 04:08:40 GMT
From: mtune!akgua!rbk@RUTGERS.EDU  (R. Brad Kummer)
Subject: Re: GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <260@auvax.UUCP>, rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
> In article <8706290606.AA00991@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,Konrad A. Hahn writes:
> > To reduce transatlantic email I sent the newest versions of GEMBOOT and
> > HDB to the ATARINET server (UACE0@UHUPVM1.BITNET) where they can be called
> > off.
>
> Not by me they can't ;-)  Could some kind soul with bitnet access
> grab these things, uuencode them, and dump them onto the Usenet please?
> I predict this will result in a net _reduction_ of traffic.

I second the motion!  Would some kind person please, Please, PLEASE
post these programs to the net?

    Thanks,
    R. Brad Kummer {ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!akguc!rbk
    AT&T Bell Laboratories  Atlanta GA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 11:24:46 PDT
From: Kevin Burnett <kevin@lindy.stanford.edu>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <820@looking.UUCP> Brad Templeton writes:

>While Atari couldn't realisticly require developers buying the machine to
>sign licences stating they will not develop games, it would probably be
>a good idea.
Ugh. If the ST didn't have good game-playing ability, I wouldn't own one
right now.  The ST was supposed to be a 'home' computer when it was brought
out, i.e. be able to play 'Time Bandit' as well as run Publishing Partner or
whatever.

>The Atari has better hardware than the Mac or Mac Plus.  Yet it is still
>perceived by many to be a games machine, while nobody perceives the Mac
>as one.  If there are lots of games, and any customers are buying the
>machines "to play games" then a games machine perception develops.

Oh no! A GAMES MACHINE!  Actually, from the coverage the ST has gotten
in magazines that aren't specific to one brand of computer, the things that
seem to be mentioned the least are the games...

>The better the games are, the worse it is.  Who ever heard of somebody
>buying an IBM or Mac to play games.  Yes, there are many games available

A very good example of a system that flies right in the face of this is
the Apple II series.  The Apple II machines had some of the *best* games
available for any micro, but they weren't perceived as merely game machines.
>the machine line.
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
If this came out sounding like some sort of flame-thrower, sorry, it wasn't
intended to sound nasty...

Date: 1 Jul 87 08:17:50 GMT
From: csrim@eneevax.umd.edu  (Chong Suck Rim)
Subject: Computer For Sale
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 Atari 520ST system:

 - 520ST (512k memory)
 - SF-354 single sided disk drive (355K)
 - SF-314 double sided disk drive (712K)
 - SC-1224 color monitor (200 by 640 resolution)
 - Supura 1200/300 bps modem
 - Lots of public domain software. (including editors, terminal emulators,
   and games)

  The system is less than a year old and was bought for $1100
  and is in perfect condition.

  Asking $700.00.
  If interested please call around 6.00pm-8.00pm at 301-439-5966
  or contact -
  US-mail:     Chong S. Rim
               7704 Adelphi Rd. #13
               Hyattsville, MD 20783.

  e-mail:   csrim@eneevax.umd.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 18:22:36 GMT
From: hplabsb!piety@hplabs.hp.com  (Bob Piety)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone have any comments/experience with Pecan Software's UCSD PASCAL
package?  It is supposed to support multitasking & they have an assembler,
editor, and compiler for it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 20:22:31 GMT
From: necntc!rayssd!rayssdb!ejc@ames.arpa  (Edward J. Casey)
Subject: help needed with Paintpro by Abacus
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

has anyone had the opportunity to use PAINTPRO by Abacus?
and tried to print a picture using a Gemini 10X?
If so, did you create a new print driver, or what?

If I go to full screen and do an alt-help it will print, but
the screen may not reflect the picture (more screen than picture).

Any help is welcome.  thanks.

--
When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 13:00:43 GMT
From: engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: PC Ditto
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

People talked about PC Ditto emulator coming out last week.  My question is:
has anyone actually used/bought thisproduct and could they post a post a
review to the net?  I'm interested but I could use an address, price, etc.
                                Thanks a lot!
                                    Adam Engst

PS:  If enough people email me instead, I'll summarize.

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 05:48:45 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!omsi@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (OMSI)
Subject: Parker Brothers VS David Addison...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Mega bummer dudes...

I just got some bad news from Dave Addison about two of his programs,
Monopoly and Millebourne.  It seems that Parker Brothers didn't like a
game done so close to the look and rules of their game(s). They said it
was a copyright infringment.  So rather than argue, Dave agreed to spread
the (bad) news that all copies of his Monopoly and Millebourne are to be
erased.  They now fall under the catagory of pirated software.

[Don't reply to me, I'm just passing the news on.]
---------
Russell Schwartz
..!tektronix!reed!omsi          (OMSI)
..!tektronix!reed!percival!russ (Russ Schwartz)
["May the Schwartz be with you!" - Yogurt (from Spaceballs, The Quotes)]

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 00:00:18 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
Subject: Re: PC Ditto
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <1586@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
(Adam C. Engst) says:

 > People talked about PC Ditto emulator coming out last week.  My question is:
 > has anyone actually used/bought thisproduct and could they post a post a
 > review to the net?  I'm interested but I could use an address, price, etc.
 >                                 Thanks a lot!
 >                                     Adam Engst
 >
 > PS:  If enough people email me instead, I'll summarize.
 >
 > engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
 > pv9y@cornella.bitnet

Well, all I;ve heard have been product announcements and how good this one
is supposed to work.

If anyone can point me to the right place to find it, I'd like to give it a
shot.  Anyone know more?  Speak up!

Date: 1 Jul 87 17:02:16 GMT
From: mtune!codas!novavax!hrshcx!hechcx!jet@RUTGERS.EDU  (John Teloh)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

>In article <8706290606.AA00991@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,Konrad A. Hahn writes:
>> To reduce transatlantic email I sent the newest versions of GEMBOOT and
>> HDB to the ATARINET server (UACE0@UHUPVM1.BITNET) where they can be called
>> off.
Could someone on bitnet PLEASE!! post these to usenet. Has anyone
on the net (usenet)  been able to get UHUPVM1 to even say a peep?
Not I...8-)*

--

=       John Teloh
= UUCP:    novavax!hrshcx!hechcx!jet

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 87 16:25:58 GMT
From: mnetor!spectrix!ADMIN@seismo.css.gov  (ADMIN)
Subject: MINIX on the ATARI ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I  asked about Minix on the ST. I have the answer ...
Unfortunately, due to a file system crash, I cannot directly copy the
response, but here is a precis of it:

From Andy Tanenbaum:

1) Minix itself is roughly 80% done; utilities yet to be done (depending
   on modifying the existing compiler to 68000/Atari
2) The book from Prentice Hall (Operating Systems: Design and Implementation)
   will not be updated until 1992.
3) No firm date yet for when Minix on the ST will be available.

554 qfAA19294: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Fri 10 Jul 87 18:51:40 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #268
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, July 10, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 268

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                  Re: Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell
               Re: Re: Re: (really Atari does not care)
                    Writes to ST Cartridge Ports?
                      Re: MICROSOFT Write for ST
                  Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
                    Re: GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
     Notice of intent to post Mark Johnson C compiler (shareware)
                         public domain stuff
                           Pascal compilers
                             UUCP address
                              bugs in VC
                  Re: Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell
                  VC bug--how do I get a fix for it?
                 Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari
                  Claification of my drive problems

Date: 29 Jun 87 15:11:34 GMT
From: ptsfa!jmc@ames.arpa  (Jerry Carlin)
Subject: Re: Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3462@ecsvax.UUCP> tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:
>Has anyone tried the Beckemeyer multitasking shell for the STs?
>I'd be interested in hearing reactions.

I'm used it a bit and am mostly happy with it. There are a lot of UNIX-like
utilities that come as a part of it and I appreciate the ability to
run 'gem' programs. Beckmeyer (and his BBS) are very approachable.
There are a few bugs (but what else is new :-). I recommend it.

On the other hand, MINIX will be out for the ST within a few months (I
think) so you might want to wait depending on if you care about being
able to run GEM programs under your "shell". Actually, I assume I'll
be using both eventually.

--
voice: (415) 823-2441    uucp: {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!jmc
Where am I? In the village. Whose side are you on? That would be telling.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 15:27:29 GMT
From: ptsfa!jmc@ames.arpa  (Jerry Carlin)
Subject: Re: Re: Re: (really Atari does not care)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Landon Dyer writes:
>It has been done since September of 1986.  I have been trying to push
>it out the door ever since.  Not my fault -- put 22 cents to work and
>send a letter to Leonard Tramiel.

I did send a letter to Leonard Tramiel.  I did not get the courtesy of
even a form letter reply.

Date:          Mon, 29 Jun 87 16:08 EDT
From: <RAMCTE01%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:       Writes to ST Cartridge Ports?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I am posting this for a friend who wants to tie into the cartridge slot
of a 512 ST. He is attempting to interface to a video digitizer (from
BYTE magazine - one of Steve Ciarcia's projects). Does anyone have
information on what needs to be done in hardware and software to
accomplish this?

Notes:

    o   Yes, I know the device in BYTE used a serial interface. He
        has to do his I/O faster than that.

    o   I have seen articles/postings which talked about synthetic
        writes to the cartridge port using reads to special addresses;
        this approach isn't fast enough for what he wants to do.

    o   He plans on bringing the Read/Write line out from the processor
        or wherever to the cartridge port.

This seems straightforward, but we've been told that a write to cartridge
memory space causes a bus error - hardly a desirable side effect. Is this
true, and can it be disabled in software?

Although there are perhaps more elegant ways of tying into the ST (DMA
port, etc.), he is pressed for time and needs a quick solution.

Please respond directly and I will post a summary, if anyone wants me to.

Thanks in advance,
Rick McTeague
Electrical Engineering Department
Speed Scientific School
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY  40292

BITNET address:  RAMCTE01@ULKYVX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 18:10:45 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
Subject: Re: MICROSOFT Write for ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <460@sbcs.UUCP>, lean@sbcs.UUCP (Lean l Loh) writes:

>   I asked about MICROSOFT's WRITE for the ST about a month ago, but did not
> get any response.  A friend of mine in France HAS this program.  From what
> he printed out, it looks impressive.  Anyone seen this program in US?
> Any info or rumors ???

Anyone who has a copy of Microsoft Write has a bootleg one, complete with
the usual pre-release bugs.  It is not done yet.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 17:52:19 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <1503@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) says:

> In article <766@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>
>>> does anyone know, if there is a way to distinguish between
>>> Functionkey F1, ALT-F1 and CTRL-F1 using C (MWC).
>>...You tell the OS to put the shift key state
>>in that byte by setting bit 3 in the (published) system variable "conterm"
>>to 1 (that is, *(char *)0x484 |= 4;).  Better clear it again before
>>your program exits, though, because the desktop might not be able to
>>handle it (use *(char *)0x484 &= ~4;).
>
> One slight point: "conterm" is in protected memory. You will get cherry
> bombs if you do what Allan says without turning off protect. In MWC, the
> way to do it is to use the peek and poke [sic!] functions.

Alas... I tried to edit this message before it went out..  The correct
value for the |= and &= is 8 (and ~8), not 4 (and ~4).  What Vincent
refers to as "turning off protect" is really entering Supervisor mode
on the 68K.  The following funtions do what you want:

#include <osbind.h>        /* get OS binding for Super() */

setbit()    /* sets bit 3 of conterm, so shift state is in upper byte */
{
    long oldssp = Super(0L);
    *(char *)0x484 |= 8;
    Super(oldssp);
}

clrbit()    /* clears bit 3 of conterm, so desktop doesn't gag */
{
    long oldssp = Super(0L);
    *(char *)0x484 &= ~8;
    Super(oldssp);
}

You have to link with osbind.o for this to work.

Between the Super(0L) call and the Super(oldssp) call, you are in
Supervisor mode.  YOU CAN'T DO OS CALLS HERE.  If you need to do
OS calls, use Supexec() instead.

/----------------------------------------------\
\----------------------------------------------/    (APRATT on GEnie)

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 15:17:09 GMT
From: ihnp4!alberta!auvax!rwa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ross Alexander)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

...!ihnp4!alberta!auvax!rwa    Ross Alexander @ Athabasca University

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 23:56:47 GMT
From: tektronix!tekig!tekig4!georgew@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (George Walker)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The C compiler from Mark Johnson showed up here back in March, and I asked
James Turner to post it.  He delayed, since someone claimed a new version was
imminent.  I have not seen the newer version, and while this version is not
as polished as it could have been, I find it useful for small projects on
my unmodified 520ST.

If I don't hear any objections in the next couple weeks, I plan to post the
arc'ed uuencoded C compiler to the net with distribution=world (GULP!).
The distribution will take 3 postings of over 50Kb each.

Date:     Tue, 30 Jun 87 10:03:07 EDT
From:     Ken Chin <kchin@bfly-vax.bbn.com>
To:       Info-Atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  public domain stuff

    I've finally decided to get serious about my 520ST that has been
sitting around for the last year doing only simple word processing.  I'm
interested in doing some midi development on it, but first, I thought I
should get my hands on whatever is available out there in the public domain
(not just midi stuff, but everything including Uniterm).

    I've seen postings from people offering to return disks for a
small fee, but, of course, I didn't save them.  Could people out there
let me know what's available as well as all the necessary information
surrounding them (such as addresses, instructions, and costs)?  If there
is enough interest, I'll summarize to this newsgroup.

Thanks,
Ken Chin
kchin@bfly-vax.bbn.com
(617)497-3375

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 15:35:06 Greenwich Mean Time
To: <info-atari16@score.stanford.edu>
From: <schoepf%DMZRZU71.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Pascal compilers

I'd like to hear some comments on Pascal compilers running on the ST.
The only one I've seen running is the Pascal ST+ Compiler.
It may be OK for developing programs on the ST but certainly not for
porting programs from other machines. It limits the size of local storage
to 32k and does not accept input lines which are longer than 79 characters
(very stupid -- punched cards are out of date, aren't they?).
Both limitations are not documented (at least not in the german version
of the manual).
So if anybody out there knows anything about MCC, Prospero or other
Pascal Compilers: say it! Do they have bugs/limitations which are
unacceptable ?
Any comments are welcome.
    Rainer Schoepf
    SCHOEPF%DMZRZU71.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1987 11:51 EDT
From:         Holly Lee Stowe <IHLS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      UUCP address
To:           <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>

Does anyone happen to know the path by which I can send mail to orc at
Pell on UUCP from Bitnet?  I believe I saw it posted here a while back.

Thank you for your help.

-Holly
 Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
 (Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.)

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 87 21:13:22 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle@seismo.css.gov
Subject: bugs in VC
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've been playing around with VC in the last couple of weeks, and
yesterday I had a really annoying thing happen...VC wouldn't let
me print off a listing of a relatively large spread sheet (but not
the largest I've played with).  No amount of coaxing could make
it work.

The spreadsheet itself is fine, though.

It's very annoying...

Just thought I'd warn you guys
Ron
--
Ron Pfeifle                        "What time is it?"
{decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle        "It's the dark ages."

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 06:37:09 GMT
From: mcvax!nikhefh!gert@seismo.css.gov  (Gert Poletiek)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3462@ecsvax.UUCP> tcamp@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted A. Campbell) writes:

>Has anyone tried the Beckemeyer multitasking shell for the STs?
>I'd be interested in hearing reactions.

I've tried it one afternoon sometime ago. It looks nice on the outside, but
has too many disadvantages to be useful:

    - it takes up far too much memory
    - memory will fragmented in no time if you run a background job
    - (Tools) TeX and Absoft FORTRAN (and a number of other applications)
      cannot be run by it.

With the quality of ST applications improving I kinda forgot where the reset
button is located; after experimenting with the multitasking shell I knew
exactly where the reset button is.

Gert Poletiek.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 15:35:41 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle@seismo.css.gov
Subject: VC bug--how do I get a fix for it?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I said that there was some bug that caused VC not to create a listing
for some spreadsheets.  I wanted to know if there was a way to get the
fixed version of this (assuming there is one).

Thanks
Ron

Date: 29 Jun 87 00:31:28 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!looking!brad@seismo.css.gov
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <5330001@hpccc.HP.COM> blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) writes:
>My main reservation about this machine is Atari's "attitude" towards its
>users and developers.  I read something this weekend about Atari "not
>wanting a 1040 to be hooked up to a TV and used as a game machine" or some
>such rot.  I believe that the CUSTOMER will determine what he wants to do
>with his computer, and doesn't need Atari's marketing dept. forcing him
>to use the machine only for REAL applications.

It's true that it's up to the customer, but this doesn't change the fact
that the games are the worst thing to happen to the Atari, and that if
the machine fizzles out, it will be due, in part, to the games.

While Atari couldn't realisticly require developers buying the machine to
sign licences stating they will not develop games, it would probably be
a good idea.

The Atari has better hardware than the Mac or Mac Plus.  Yet it is still
perceived by many to be a games machine, while nobody perceives the Mac
as one.  If there are lots of games, and any customers are buying the
machines "to play games" then a games machine perception develops.
The better the games are, the worse it is.  Who ever heard of somebody
buying an IBM or Mac to play games.  Yes, there are many games available
for these machines, but nobody thinks of them as the raison d'etre of
the machine line.

Date: 30 Jun 87 03:12:28 GMT
From: mnetor!utgpu!lansd@seismo.css.gov  (Robert Lansdale)
Subject: Claification of my drive problems
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  This message is to clarify some of the points I made in a previous
message regarding my drive 'going out of alignment' after accessing
it with no diskette in it.
   First, the problem started when I had the computer ACCESS the drive
with no diskette in it (I said 'have it do a SEEK', but I meant that was
what the drive was about to do).
   Secondly, I had the drive replaced three times. Each new drive was
fine up until either I had it try to access the drive with no disk in
it, or maybe (I'm not sure about this one) after using The MagicSac
emulator for a while (it would do alot or re-seeking when reading near
the center of the disk, which I understand is a common problem). I haven't
used the Magic Sac on my latest drive that just went bad.
   Since I wrote the last message the drive has been giving more frequent
read errors. This usually has been the case. It will get to the point where
its next to impossible to use the computer (although closing/opening the
drive's window will allow some access to the disk, ie. by re-homing the head).
   The drive is still under warranty, but I just can't imagine taking the
computer back to be 'fixed' once again. I would like to find out what I am
doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA12396: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Thu 9 Jul 87 09:35:32 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #267
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, July  9, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 267

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                       Re: I'm not dead yet....
                     Request for Logo information
                        Really to James Turner
     Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
                      Getting ahold of UW source
                  Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
                      Drive alignment problems?
                    Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell
                      GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
            Re: Re: Re: Repost due to Score failure (long)

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 87 14:30:50 EDT
From: Ashwin Ram <ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: I'm not dead yet....

>                                                                However, like
>    many other readers of comp.sys.atari.st, I've never been able to reap the
>    benefit of his efforts, because the sources and binaries groups never
 arrive
>    here.  All I can do is foam at the mouth when I hear about the goodies
 other
>    people can get.  Consequently, I am delighted at the reappearance of
 programs
>    in comp.sys.atari.st - long may it continue.

However, we on the ARPAnet (i.e., on the info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
mailing list) haven't seen ANY programs since the comp.*.atari.st newsgroups
were created.  This, as well as the non-appearance of programs even on
comp.*.atari.st at many sites, makes me feel that we should go back to doing
things the old way.  OK, so we got some cruft now and then, but at least there
were lots of programs to look forward to.

If this isn't possible, could we at least have the programs being posted on
comp.*.atari.st be forwarded to info-atari16@score.stanford.edu -- PLEASE!!!
DCFORMAT is the first program I've seen in many months.  Let's have lots more!

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@yale
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 87 18:37:27 GMT
From: ravi@mcnc.org  (Ravi Subrahmanyan)
Subject: Request for Logo information
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]
    The following message is _not from the poster_.  Please send
replies directly to Jane Hesketh at the address given below.  Thanks,
                                -ravi

From: Jane Hesketh <jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: logo for the ST
Cc: jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK

does anyone know of any real, working versions of logo for the ST,
and how I might get hold of them? Or even ones likely to appear
soon?

            thanks

                Jane Hesketh
                hesketh%uk.ac.edinburgh@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Dept of Artificial Intelligence
University of Edinburgh,
Edinburgh,
Scotland

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 27 Jun 87 12:17 EST
From:     Matt Kimmel <KIMMEL%ecs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To:       Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Really to James Turner

Sorry to post this to the net, but I got a letter from James Turner
and his return address didn't work.

James, I never was able to get comp.sources.atari.st, so please mail
me the source for ST Curses.  Thanks very much!

-Matt Kimmel

Bitnet:  KIMMEL@UMAECS
CSNet:  KIMMEL@ECS.UMASS.EDU
Internet:  KIMMEL%ECS.UMASS.EDU@RELAY.CS.NET
UUCP:  ...!seismo!UMAECS.BITNET!kimmel

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 23:36:47 GMT
From: nbires!hao!noao!mcdsun!rover!mph@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mark Huth)
Subject: Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I know people who have refused to pay the excise tax on their telephone bills.
The phone company does not disconnect their phones, but does turn them over
to the appropriate Treasury types, who then proceed to make life miserable
for the individual claiming First Amendment protections.  After all, that's
their job.  Do not engage in this activity unless you really want a war.
Many people I know have been fighting for years, losing everything in the
battle.  Some feel that it is worth it.  Fortunately for us, some similar
type crazies dedicated their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honors
to a similar cause about 211 years ago.  Of course, they were patriots, while
current day defenders of liberty are just crazy (right, left, pick a direction)
wing loonies who desire to destroy our fine current situation of perpetual debt
and impending slavery.

The payment for transportation of information is not necessarily a tax, and
even if it was a tax, would not be a violation of the First Amendment, as your
rights to free speech are not being infringed.  You may speak freely, publish
(at your own expense), etc., but as soon as you use regulated services, your
freedom meets a conflicting interest.  This does not mean that you shouldn't
let the FCC and Congress know how you feel about the issue, just that the
enterprise in question is not off limits to the tax and spend crowd.

As for what is frivolous and what is not, consider that the Supreme Court
has repeadedly failed to hear arguments on our Constitutional monetary
provisions.  They do so, not out of lack of opportunity, but because the
current economic system is founded upon an un-Constitutional power granted
to the Federal Reserve.  Article One, Section 8 gave the power to COIN
MONEY to Congress, but withheld the power to print money (emit bills of
credit).  The power to emit bills of credit was originally part of the
draft of the Constitution, but in the debate was removed - see Madison's
Journal and other records of the Constitutional debates.  Moreover, Article
One, Section 10 forbade the states from coining money, emitting bills of
credit, or making anything other than gold or silver coin a tender in payment
of debt.  Again, the power to emit bills of credit was debated in the
convention, originally proposing that the power could only be execised with
the consent of the US Congress, but amended (during the debate in convention)
to be an absolute prohibition with the
stated intention of "crushing paper money".  Such facts are a matter of record,
but the courts consider them frivolous - read inconvenient - at this point in
time.  Many Americans have been conditioned to believe that their courts work
well, and that the Supreme Court determines what the Constitution says.  This
is not a conclusion drawn from the Constitution, but rather by John Marshall, a
early Chief Justice, who, BTW was fond of the Alien and Sedition Laws.
Rather, "He who has the Gold, makes the rules," or more
correctly, he who has the gold, has the power to print money (usurped) to buy
the politicians and judges who make the rules.

Admittedly, some arguments are frivolous, many others are incorrect, but many
arguments labeled frivolous by the government have not been discredited, but
rather the courts have simply chosen to ignore them.  If one does not believe
another, or refuses to listen to another, does not mean that one has
discredited another.  Arguments should be judged on their own merits, rather
than by the opinions of others, or of the press (or even by whether I can spell
or not).

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 87 19:13:38 GMT
From: puff!sadler@rsch.wisc.edu  (Jonathan Sadler)
Subject: Getting ahold of UW source
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

A while back, some users were asking for UW source for the ST.  I too
would like to get ahold of said code.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Sadler

--
+-------------------+-------------------+--------------------------------------
!       Home        !       Work        !             On the Nets

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 87 15:52:21 GMT
From: ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Vincent Manis
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <766@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>> does anyone know, if there is a way to distinguish between
>> Functionkey F1, ALT-F1 and CTRL-F1 using C (MWC).
>...You tell the OS to put the shift key state
>in that byte by setting bit 3 in the (published) system variable "conterm"
>to 1 (that is, *(char *)0x484 |= 4;).  Better clear it again before
>your program exits, though, because the desktop might not be able to
>handle it (use *(char *)0x484 &= ~4;).

One slight point: "conterm" is in protected memory. You will get cherry
bombs if you do what Allan says without turning off protect. In MWC, the
way to do it is to use the peek and poke [sic!] functions.

\begin{flame}
This one is directed at IBM, not Atari, who merely copied IBM slavishly.
I tried to write a routine which would let me read keystrokes in which the
ALT key sets the high bit of the code (thus letting you turn on extended
graphics). What you do is to use only the scan code and shift bits, ignoring
the translated character; depending on the state of the shift bits, you use
one of three translation tables. It all worked nicely...until I tried
ALT+digit. The codes in the tables are wrong. At first I thought it was yet
another BIOS bug, until I happened to notice in an IBM Tech Ref Manual the
same rules. Ugh.
\end{flame}

-----
Vincent Manis                {seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis
Dept. of Computer Science    manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Univ. of British Columbia    manis%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5      manis@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-6770 or 228-3061

"To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; but
to lose both looks like carelessness." -- Oscar Wilde

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 00:24:16 GMT
From: mnetor!utgpu!lansd@seismo.css.gov  (Robert Lansdale)
Subject: Drive alignment problems?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  Has anyway had problems with their drives after opening a window
without a disk in the drive? I have done the following several times
(by accident) and have had to have the drive replaced 3 times: I
removed the disk and had the ST do a seek, but instead it made the
usual sound that it would make if no disk were in the drive. After
using the drive for a few hours the old 'READ ERROR' box would start
popping up on usually working diskettes.
   I would normally have to close the window, and re-open it to have
it read the diskette properly (re-home/re-align the head).
   I am fed up with this occuring, is there an easy fix to my drive's
problem, or must it be replaced AGAIN!

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 87 01:11:22 GMT
From: ecsvax!tcamp@mcnc.org  (Ted A. Campbell)
Subject: Beckemeyer Multitasking Shell
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Date:     Sun, 28 Jun 87 22:26:43 +0200 (Central European Sommer Time)
From: XBR4D76H%DDATHD21.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject:  GEMBOOT V1.10 and HDB V2.3
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

To reduce transatlantic email I sent the newest versions of GEMBOOT and
HDB to the ATARINET server (UACE0@UHUPVM1.BITNET) where they can be called
off.

HDB V2.3 has same minor improvements:
 - deselect floppy (the ROM startup code leaves the floppy drives selected
   till first access)
 - optional switch to floppy boot if a special key combination is pressed
   during boot

New features of GEMBOOT V1.10 (compared to V1.08) are:
 - incremental add of folder cache blocks during directory scan
 - indicates free directory cache space left after login
 - adjustable size of DESKTOP environment buffer
 - definition of DESKTOP environment variables within GEMBOOT.INF
 - optional use of batch shell other than COMMAND.TOS
 - new program GEMFRL.TOS to locate and print the GEMDOS internal free
   lists

  Konrad A. Hahn
  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 87 13:29:11 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Repost due to Score failure (long)

Landon Dyer writes:
>> As I understand, it will NOT be. The only thing Atari has admitted, is
>> that they have/are/will be working on a new version of GEMDOS for release
>> some time in the future, as far as we know this could just be another proof
>> for the amount of competence in HYPE that Atari has.
>You could claim I'm lying, but we REALLY ARE doing a re-write.  And
>it's harder than it sounds to make bug fixes to code that's:
>
>        (1) everywhere;
>        (2) in ROM;
>
>... but we don't expect you to sympathize.  :-)
Oh yes I do sympathize! Landon, I didn't want to imply that anybody
at Atari would lie about such a thing, it's just that the history
of the fixes for the ST series would suggest that even if completed,
a GEMDOS rewrite would never be distributed. Sorry for the (not Atari
related) bad temper I was in when I wrote that message.

>>         HD boot fix: been available Atari internally for a long time,
>>                      but probably will never be distributed. HDB 2.3
>>                      is probably better anyway!

>It has been done since September of 1986.  I have been trying to push
>it out the door ever since.  Not my fault -- put 22 cents to work and
>send a letter to Leonard Tramiel.
Is there any sensible marketing reason for this???????????????????????

                            Simon Poole
                            K538915.CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS: I still think Atari is able to do a good job of customer support,
    as I've mentioned before, the September 86 fix to HDX was by my
    dealer a month later! (This didn't stop the people here from selling
    HD's with the old version!)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 87 15:34:33 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Allan Pratt writes:
>The product is my first major project here at Atari: a new linker, to
>act as a replacement for LINK68 and RELMOD.  This linker, called ALN, is
>about eight times faster than LINK68, and doesn't need the additional
>RELMOD pass.  It is also friendlier, I think, and more robust.  It has
>been used internally for some time (many moons), and we have decided
>that it's solid enough for release.
>
>If you are a developer, please go to the Developer's SIG on Compuserve
>and download this new tool.  Let me know what you think of it.
>
>If you aren't an Atari developer using Alcyon C, you're not missing
>anything: this tool is strictly for use with the object modules produced
>by Alcyon C and AS68.  (What other languages use this format? Does
>anybody know of one?)
Don't panic, I'm not complaining again :-). CCD ST-Pascal+/OSS Personal
Pascal uses the DRI format. The first releases of CCD Pascal were
actually distributed with Link68 and AESBIND/VDIBIND. Probably it's
still not of so much interest for owners of the Pascal package, since
the linker which is selled with it now, is pretty fast ans doesn't need
RELMOD too. But good news for everybody with Alycon C.......just one
question: is Atari planning to distribute this to  parts of Atari
Corp. outside the USA? If yes I would alert my friends with the
developers package to the fact.

>(Please don't start clamoring for them, but there are more tools in the
>works:  my new debugger and Landon's new assembler are also approaching
>release.)
Sounds even better!

                          Simon Poole
                          K538915.CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 87 16:30:17 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Allan Pratt writes:
>The product is my first major project here at Atari: a new linker, to
>act as a replacement for LINK68 and RELMOD.  This linker, called ALN, is
>If you aren't an Atari developer using Alcyon C, you're not missing
>anything: this tool is strictly for use with the object modules produced
>by Alcyon C and AS68.  (What other languages use this format? Does
>anybody know of one?)
Don't panic, I'm not complaining again :-). CCD ST-Pascal+/OSS Personal
Pascal uses the DRI format. The first releases of CCD Pascal were
actually distributed with Link68 and AESBIND/VDIBIND. Probably it's
still not of so much interest for owners of the Pascal package, since
the linker which is selled with it now, is pretty fast ans doesn't need
RELMOD too. But good news for everybody with Alycon C.......just one
question: is Atari planning to distribute this to  parts of Atari
Corp. outside the USA? If yes I would alert my friends with the
developers package to the fact.

>(Please don't start clamoring for them, but there are more tools in the
>works:  my new debugger and Landon's new assembler are also approaching
>release.)
Sounds even better! (And hows the new documentation going?)

                          Simon Poole
                          K538915.CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA12412: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Thu 9 Jul 87 09:35:07 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #266
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, July  9, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 266

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         Re: Best C Compiler?
                   Re: MWC problem with 'long int'
                  Wordplus Image file format request
                          Lattice C basepage
                           Re: MFP problems
                     Alcyon double precision math
             Re: Current Status of ST Emulation Packages
                                Wanted
                      New Atari Linker Released!
                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
                     IBM high dense (ity) drives
              PD UUCICO(?), Motionless Mice, & VDI Blues

Date: 26 Jun 87 04:12:12 GMT
From: ssc-vax!benoni@beaver.cs.washington.edu  (Charles L Ditzel)
Subject: Re: Best C Compiler?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <811@megamax.UUCP>, peter@megamax.UUCP (Peter Taliancich) writes:
> >I just bought an ST, and I'm wondering which is the best C compiler for
> >the machine.  I've noticed many people in this group seem to use the Mark
> >Williams C compiler.  Is this considered the best?
> >                    Scott Morrison
> >                    morrison@Berkeley.EDU.ARPA
>
> That one is easy.
>
> Use Megamax C!
> peter@megamax

Nothing like a vested interested!   Heh. Heh.

Actually I have both Megamax and Mark Williams Cs.  Both are good products.
I actually prefer Megamax (YES...i have MWC 2.0) for speed and also the
package is more complete package in as far as GEM is concerned.  Megamax
bundles a Resource Editor which is pretty good.  The Megamax Resource
Editor unlike the Atari Resource Construction Set allows you to edit
icons (Atari includes an Icon Editor which is seperate from RCP).
I also (surprisingly) don't mind their (megamax) mouse-based Editor
(tho' it has some problems).  One negative that will be remedied shortly
(How shortly??? Pete?) is a 32K segment limit.  Another negative is
Megamax's graphical shell is somewhat limiting tho' you can use other
shells with it.

MWC 2.0 contains a weak System V -ish shell.  MWC 2.0 provides alot of
calls which are compatible with Unix.  The MWC documentation is excellent
tho' i hate the arrangement (alphabetical).
MWC 2.0 has *alot* of good things going for it. The negative for MWC is
no Resource Construction Set.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 23:19:22 GMT
From: cbmvax!grr@RUTGERS.EDU  (George Robbins)
Subject: Re: MWC problem with 'long int'
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <52@laura.irb.informatik> at@unido.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) writes:

> has anyone collected all known bugs in MWC 2.0 ??
> I am quite happy with the old version (and I know all its bugs :-)
> but 2.0 is probably better.
>
>     Andreas Toenne U of Dortmund, IRB West Germany

Although not widely advertised, MWC is on the net, at least as far as E-MAIL.
Any bug reports, especially those regarding the C compiler may be directed
to mwc!norm.

UUCP:    ...!ihnp4!mwc!norm
    ...!cbmvax!mwc!norm

ARPA:    cbmvax!mwc!norm@seismo.css.GOV

Other paths are left to your imagination...

--
George Robbins - now working for,    uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing    arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV

------------------------------

Date: 26 JUN 87 08:31-N
From: U00170%HASARA5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
To: INFO-ATARI16 @ SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Wordplus Image file format request

Hello,

Who knows what the code is in the .IMG files for use in 1st-word,
or actualy wordplus. I need this information to complete my
1st-word to postscript conversion program, wich is now finished
for the text part.

If you are interested, send me a mail or take a look wether it is
already preset on ATARINET (UH-INFO@UHUPVM1).

Greetings,

Berend F. de Vries,
U00170@HASARA5.BITNET   (EARN)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 87 09:32:43 Greenwich Mean Time
To: <info-atari16@score.stanford.edu>
From: <schoepf%DMZRZU71.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Lattice C basepage

In Digest #250 ihnp4!ihuxy!nowlin@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jerry Nowlin) writes:

> I've poked around all over the place below the main() entry point in
> Lattice programs and can't locate the basepage.  Megamax and Alcyon give

Lattice C 3.03 uses an extern _basepage. You find it by looking at the .MAP
file the linker produces if you specify -list on its command line. (this is
the default anyway)
It is referenced in the first few instructions of the STARTUP module,
so you will find it if you look at the very beginning of the code, *NOT*
at the beginning of the main() entry point.
I hope this will solve your problem,

    Rainer Schoepf
   <SCHOEPF@DMZRZU71.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 87 01:54:17 GMT
From: imagen!atari!jwt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jim Tittsler)
Subject: Re: MFP problems
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8706240140.AA17054@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11.BITNET
 writes:
> ... As far as I can see it's installing procedure uses a
> division factor of 64 (decimal, I suppose), and a counter that's
> set to 192 (C0 hex). IF I believe my documentation which says that
> the MFP 68901 uses a 4Mhz - clock cycle, then what?

The MFP in the ST series is clocked at 2.4576 MHz (a number that generates
"correct" baud rates).  Therefore 2.4576 MHz prescaled by the divide by 64
(decimal) and then divided by 192 (decimal) produces a 200 Hz clock.

Jim Tittsler, sort of a hardware guy, Atari Corp.  {ames, sun}!atari!jwt

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 87 17:05:17 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihuxv!hofmann@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (s)
Subject: Alcyon double precision math
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

How do I compile and link properly with the double precision math
library, libm, with the Alcyon compiler/linker system? If I use
the compiler flag " -e" specified in the Manual, I get an error
message stating that only certain flags (including -e!) are legal
and the compiler (1st pass) dies. If I follow the bat files
example given with
the compiler and linker disks, which do not use a compiler flag but
link with libm, the test program compiles and links ok, but does not
execute properly. The test program simply defines c as double, sets it
to 1. then uses printf("c= %f", c) or printf("c= %lf", c) to output c.
I always get c= , i.e. no value for c output.

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Hofmann
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL
(312)979-1237
..!ihnp4!ihuxv!hofmann

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 87 02:30:35 GMT
From: hpcea!hpfcdc!hpldola!hp-lsd!hplsdla!ritchie@hplabs.hp.com  (Dave Ritchie)
Subject: Re: Current Status of ST Emulation Packages
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

>> (a) I understand the Atari Corp. has released a CP/M emulation
>> package into the p.d.  I presume that this utilizes the on-board
>> DEC VT52 terminal emulation, so that CP/M packages could be installed
>> for VT52 and run on the ST.
>
>I haven't bothered to check out the CP/M-86 emulator, but it is public
>domain. I have seen it on numberous BBS systems, so availability is no
>problem. I also have no idea about the VT52 aspect, but I would assume
>that since it's already there, in the VDI, it is taken advantage of.

   You mean CPM-80 emulator, I assume? To my knowledge, there is no
   CPM-86 emulator.

>> (d) Many months ago I read in one of Jerry Pournelle's columns that
>> he had actually seen a package that would allow an ST (or was it
>> an Amiga? no offense intended--) to run MacIntosh software.  He
>> explained further that Apple intended to fight this tooth-and-nail.
>> Did anything ever come of it?
>
>The Magic Sac is a cartridge for the ST that provides it, I hear, with
>near-perfect Macintosh emulation. I beleve it costs something like
>$99. I haven't heard about Apple complaining, but you can be sure that
>if/when they hear about it, they will. It's foreordained.

  Magic Sac is being marketed by Data Pacific of Denver CO with Apple's
(probably reluctant) blessing. However, you still have to buy a set of Mac
64K ROMS (original board took EPROM's.... Data Pacific agreed to ROMS to
slow down/stop piracy of the Mac ROM set) from an Apple dealer. Also, you
be aware of some problems wit Magic Sac. It can't be used directly with
Mac disks (due to different data encoding scheme of Mac's versus ST's),
and it will not always work with all Mac programs.

>Bill Wisner
>..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw
>----------

Dave Ritchie ..!hplabs!hp-lsd!ritchie

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 87 00:44:35 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
Subject: Wanted
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

A funny thing happened to me.

After reading all the information requests aimed at me here on the net, I
dutifully filled out the corporate purchasing paperwork, and, after
receiving the requisite 14 signatures, sent off my order for omniscience.
Imagine my surprise when the package arrived and contained ubiquity instead!

See you at all the shows, Atari Fairs, and on all the online services...

but I still won't have all the answers.  Maybe I can rectify this with my
next order.

Date: 26 Jun 87 23:14:13 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
Subject: New Atari Linker Released!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Even as I type this, John Feagans is uploading a brand-new Atari product
to the Developers' SIG at Compuserve.

/------------------------------\

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 87 00:28:21 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1991@trwrb.UUCP>, sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) writes:

> Neil, can you give us the name of some dealers who are going to be selling
> the Megas?  I've not been able to find anyone who thinks they (the Megas)
> will be available before September - they can't even give me a price yet.
> I then tried to order one directly from Atari (can you say "retail prices"?)
> but it turns out that Atari won't sell me one directly.

It's a sticky issue, but the fact is that the list of dealers who are
authorized to sell the Mega ST is not yet settled.

The systems are not yet available for sale -- we have about 30 Mega ST 4
computers here in the USA, being used strictly for evaluation by our
engineers, making sure there are no last-minute assembly line problems.

Note: these machines come with real manuals and everything, including the
blitter chips.

Real machines in the kind of quantity needed for resale should arrive
shortly.

Another note: the new ROMs do, in fact, work in the current ST's.  No word
yet on availability of these ROMs for end-users, but developers can obtain
them from the Atari developer support department.

Date: 27 Jun 87 05:32:07 GMT
From: mnetor!utgpu!pete@seismo.css.gov  (Peter Santangeli)
Subject: IBM high dense (ity) drives
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1612@oliveb.UUCP> dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll
 touch you) writes:
>in article <12901@topaz.rutgers.edu>, lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac)
 says:
>> In article <1502@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(braner) writes:
>>>Question: will Atari convert the STs to a 1.4-Megabyte disk format compatibl
>>>with the new IBM PS/2 machines?
>>>
>>>- Moshe Braner
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, aren't the drives on the PS/2 series using some kind of
>> propriatory drive/controller combo that makes them ultra expensive?? (and
 also
>> not compatible with the drives in the current ST's)
>But is it so important?  The going price for 2 mb 3.5" floppies is about $6
>a piece.  I prefer taking more room with the smaller disks :-)

    I've never been a big IBM fan, but there latest move with the
PS/2 line strikes me as being unbelievable unfair to users.

1. IBM machines are used mostly in business environments.
2. probably 60% of all PC in business environments have hard drives. This
   figure is rising extrordinarily fast as the price of hard drives come
   down, and managers become aware of the floppies limitations.

Where does this leave the floppy? It becomes (or will become) a medium
simply for the EXCHANGE and distribution of data. (Sort of like in a
tape in a unix environment, only it is pretty ugly to back up an Hdrive
to floppy).
    Thus the obvious question becomes WHY introduce a machine with
an order of 2 or 4 storage increase on FLOPPIES, at the expense of
making all older machines incompatible.

    Simple. Sales. (No Guff!). IBM saw a great oportunity to
introduce some planned obsolesence into there line. Now all managers
will have to have AT LEAST one PS/2 in there department, if ANY
manager has one. Simply in order to read disks.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE atari. DON'T introduce another disk format (1 vs.
2 sides is *MORE* than enough!). Instead, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on
introducing a cheaper 20meg drive. There is really no reason that they
shouldn't be selling for less than $700 CANADIAN.
    I can handle buggy software, and poor (if any?) documentation,
but if Atari were to become like IBM, I would shrink into a dark corner
and cry until the age of the micro was over!!!

Pete Santangeli
pete@utgpu

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 87 21:41:48 GMT
From: swrinde!petro!ssbn!hzinn@im4u.utexas.edu  (Herb Zinn)
Subject: PD UUCICO(?), Motionless Mice, & VDI Blues
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    Greetings!

First of all, since this site recently started receiving comp.sys.atari.st afte
unclogging, I think I've missed something... What's this PD UUCICO?
I'm definately interested, and I'd appreciate it if anyone can post it to the
net (if it's not already on its way and it's really a PD uucico).

Secondly, any homebrew appl.'s that I write using MWC that use VDI calls cause
the mouse to lock up upon returning to either the desktop OR the MWC (V.2.0)
shell. However, no other facet of normal system operation is (apparently)
affected.

Finally, the following segment of code WILL work if I insert a debugging
printf inbetween every VDI call but seems to whiz right by the whole shebang
if I don't.

/*_______________/ Cut, fold, and seal here. /_______________*/
#include <aesbind.h>
#include <gemdefs.h>
#include <vdibind.h>
#include <osbind.h>

/* global line A variables used by VDI (DEFINE OR ELSE!) */
int contrl[12], intin[128], ptsin[128], intout[128], ptsout[128];
int work_in[] = { 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 };
int work_out[57];
int pxyarray[4];
int vdihandle;
int nowhere = 0;
Rect norect = { 0, 0, 0, 0 };
int rand();

main (argc, argv) int argc; char *argv[]; {
    int x, y, x0, y0, dx, dy, xabs, yabs, xmax, ymax, xrand, yrand, click;
    int cliparray[4] = { 1, 1, 639, 399 };
    appl_init();
    vdihandle = graf_handle(&nowhere, &nowhere, &nowhere, &nowhere);
    v_opnvwk(work_in, &vdihandle, work_out);
    vs_clip(vdihandle, 1, cliparray);
    xrand = work_out[0];
    yrand = work_out[1];
    do {
        vswr_mode(vdihandle, 1);
        vclrwk(vdihandle);
        vswr_mode(vdihandle, 3);
        vsl_width(vdiandle, (2 * (rand() % 6)));

        x = y = 0;
        dx = dy = 1;
        do { ** some stuff */
            click=Cconis();
        } while (click != -1);
    while (click != -1);
    v_clsvwk(vdihandle);
    appl_exit();
    exit();
}    /* procrastinators untltd. */
/*____________________/ End of source /_______________________*/

My original test printf's came after every VDI call up to the dx = dy = 1
assignment.

Any .c's or .s's would be greatly appreciated; however please send all flames
concerning the length of this to your own /dev/console. You'll like what
happens 8->.

                                  In advance, thanks!
                                                Herb

             __________________________________
  __________/ Net.Disclaimer:  What, me worry? \__________
 / UUCP: {ihnp4!petro||cbosgd||sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!hzinn \
 \ USPS: 6211 N. Artesian Ave., Chicago, Ill., 60659-2828 /
  --------\ AT&T:  Don't call us, we'll call you /--------

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA09511: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, July  8, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 264

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
              Re: Re: Repost due to SCORE failure (LONG)
                      .IMG file format question
                     Why did my disk get trashed?
             Fast (Cartridge) BASIC by Computer Concepts
                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
                          GDOS extensions???
             Re: Current Status of ST Emulation Packages
                        Re: Prolog for the ST
                         Re: Best C Compiler?
                        Re: GDOS extensions???
                     %g in Mark Williams C - (nf)
                      BMS controller and HD Boot
                         Re: BIOS re-entrancy
                         Re: BIOS re-entrancy

Date: 23 Jun 87 15:09:16 GMT
From: trwrb!sansom@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Richard Sansom)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <762@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>The Mega ST release is imminent.  We see no reason to wait on the laser
>printers to get the Megas out the door.  The SLM804 (laser printer) will be
>ready well in advance of September.

Neil, can you give us the name of some dealers who are going to be selling
the Megas?  I've not been able to find anyone who thinks they (the Megas)
will be available before September - they can't even give me a price yet.
I then tried to order one directly from Atari (can you say "retail prices"?)
but it turns out that Atari won't sell me one directly.

There have been no nasty remarks in this message - I'd really appreciate
your help.

-Rich
--
   /////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
  /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 87 16:06:12 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: Re: Repost due to SCORE failure (LONG)

ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura Jim Omura writes:
>In article <8706162240.AA07496@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IHLS400@INDYCMS.BITNET.UUC
>>don't think it will be a major concern for Atari, since I don't think
>>they will sell all that many of them without the blitter.  (Gossip

>     I'm glad that they are going ahead with sales without the Blitter.
>My opinion is exactly 180 degrees from most people.  To me the Blitter
>is the *least* important thing about the Mega ST's.  The other improvements
>are paramount and make the ST a "real computer".  The biggest problem
>was the lack of a real expansion buss.  We have software capable of

Even if the Blitter would have not been the most important thing about
the Mega ST's, you can't denie that it would have helped the ST with
something which is painfully slow (even if not so slow as on a 8086):
screen I/O, a lot of applications could have profited from the facilites
a Blitter would have offered.
 But what I think is far more important: a working Mega-ST production
with Blitter would have given us some measure of the technical competence
of Atari (not just in the design itself, but also in turning a design
into a REAL product). As the situation presents itself, it would be
foolhardy to expect TT's and EST's from a company that just manages to
hack a battery backed-up clock into its original design. More so the Blitter
farce even shows the amount of incompetence in the management of Atari,
any self respecting company would have given the project up a long time ago
instead of pouring more money into it.
>     The 40 folder limit could be cleaned up without a Blitter.  As I
>understand it, it will be.

As I understand, it will NOT be. The only thing Atari has admitted, is
that they have/are/will be working on a new version of GEMDOS for release
some time in the future, as far as we know this could just be another proof
for the amount of competence in HYPE that Atari has.
BTW a more supicous person than I am, could suggest that Atari has been
systematically avoiding the publishing of fixes:

        HD boot fix: been available Atari internally for a long time,
                     but probably will never be distributed. HDB 2.3
                     is probably better anyway!

        40 folder fix: FOLDRXXX was obviously procduced as a quick
                       'save our face' operation after GEMBOOT was
                       made avaiable, with no intent on ever really
                       distributing it (a nice touch was the way
                       Atari leaked it out that they had a fix via
                       Atari Germany, just to complain later it had been
                       pirated!).

>     Interesting.  I seem to be in complete disagreement with you,
>except that we hope and wish that Atari will be responsive to customers
>(which I feel they have been and are to the best of their ability and
>thus seem in disagreement there) and I think we agree that Atari should
>go ahead with the Mega without the Blitter for now.

Yes, Allan and Landon do a good job of answering techincal questions, I'm
sure THEY won't have trouble finding jobs, when Atari collapses.

                            Simon Poole
                            K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 24 Jun 1987 12:27 EDT
From:         Holly Lee Stowe <IHLS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Why did my disk get trashed?
To:           <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>

I run a Citadel BBS off of my A: drive.  Last night before I went to
bed, I turned off the hard drive.  This morning I needed something off
the C: drive, so I took the BBS down and as it was coming down, I flipped
the power switch on the hard drive.  When the desktop came up, the
directory for the A: drive was garbage, looking a lot like the C:
directory after you run SHIP, then the system rebooted.  I can't open
the A: drive with that disk in without the system rebooting.

1)  I still have a few ideas for trying to save the data on the disk,
    but would love to hear any ideas anyone else has.

2)  Why did this happen?  Why did flipping the power on the hard drive
    on trash my A: disk?

I will try to respond to everyone.  I sometimes have a hard time getting
things through the gateways, so if you have sent me a reponse and have
never received a reply, I apologize heartily.  I have probably tried
and been unsuccessful.  Thank you for understanding.

Holly Stowe
Bitnet: IHLS400 at INDYCMS

"An idealist is one who, on noting that a rose smells better than
a cabbage, concludes that it will make better soup."  -- H.L. Mencken

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 24 Jun 87 11:46:01 EDT
From: ORD JL (PHYSICS) <JLORD%WATDCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  Fast (Cartridge) BASIC by Computer Concepts

Some additional comments on Fast (Cartridge) BASIC (original comments in
Info-Atari16 Digest Vol 87 Issue 196, review in May 87 Antic):
1. Fast BASIC will not operate properly with a RAM-disk installed. This
is annoying but understandable: Fast BASIC addresses all of memory and
allows up to 10 programs to be resident in memory simultaneously. To give
Fast BASIC a fair test get rid of your RAM-disk or you will see bombs at
every opportunity.
2. Fast BASIC allows you to dimension large arrays but it has a serious
error in its memory allocation algorithm. Memory is allocated to arrays
modulo 131072 bytes, so an array needing this number of bytes will have
no memory reserved for it. The algorithm which locates array elements
works properly, but other arrays and multi-symbol variables will over-
write the array elements. We solve the problem of working with 360k
arrays by dimensioning to just over 393216 bytes (which reserves no
memory) and letting BASIC have the bottom 32k to store smaller arrays.
We then have no trouble BLOADing and BSAVing 360k data blocks directly
into the dimensioned array. (This isn't a pretty fix, but it works.)
3. Given Fast BASIC's problems is it worth using? - We certainly think
so. Three of the four 1040ST's in the lab have Fast BASIC cartridges
installed permanently, and the fourth would have if it were not for the
process control interface installed in the cartridge slot. A 1040ST with
Fast BASIC is a generation more advanced than the same computer with
ST BASIC, so we would probably scrap the 1040ST in favor of a more
advanced computer rather than go back to ST BASIC.
]
Jack Ord, Physics Department
University of Waterloo

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 87 15:13:22 GMT
From: oyster@unix.macc.wisc.edu  (Vicarious Oyster)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <762@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>I don't know how these stories get out, I swear.
>Sheesh!
>--
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

  Probably because some Marketing Communications Director isn't doing a very
good job of communicating. :-)

  Seriously, though, what little info you gave skirted (or just plain left
out) other relevant stuff, like presence or absence of blitters, etc.  You
know what happens to information vacuums-- they're quickly filled with all
kinds of garbage.
--

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Disclaimer:
   I disclaim disclamations.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 18:17:36 EDT
From: Mark L. Starner <starner@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: GDOS extensions???

This may be an old question, but how does one get hold of
the GDOS extensions for TOS?

In the Compute Book: ATARI ST: VDI that say that without the GDOS
extensions, you cannot specify new defaults for the (for example)
opnvwks call.

I have tried specifying enw defaults in the input array to the call,
and they truly do not take effect. The attribute calls can change it.

I am using Mark Williams C Version 2.

Thanks
Mark

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 87 21:54:13 GMT
From: topaz.rutgers.edu!lachac@RUTGERS.EDU  (Gerard Lachac)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

(braner) writes:
>Question: will Atari convert the STs to a 1.4-Megabyte disk format compatible
>with the new IBM PS/2 machines?
>
>- Moshe Braner

I doubt it.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the drives on the PS/2 series using some kind of
propriatory drive/controller combo that makes them ultra expensive?? (and also
not compatible with the drives in the current ST's)

--
        "Truth is false and logic lost..."
                    - Neil Peart

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 87 12:34:00 GMT
From: cca!mirror!ishmael!inmet!dwyer@husc6.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: Prolog for the ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Earlier this year a review of XPRO was posted to this notes group.

After reading that review I called "Rational Visions" (the guy who
wrote XPRO) to ask some questions.  He was very willing to talk
about his product, in fact we talked in some detail about it's
implementation and his ideas for future products.

I ordered the product, and received it within 2 weeks.  It is a
reasonable implementation of Prolog, with the usual built in predicates
and a number of ST/GEM/TOS specific predicates.

All in all a good deal for $34.

matt dwyer

uucp:       {bellcore,harvard!wjh12!mirror,ihnp4}!inmet!dwyer
internet:   mirror!inmet!dwyer@CCA-UNIX.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 16:45:42 GMT
From: infotel!pollux!megamax!peter@ngp.utexas.edu  (Peter Taliancich)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <19345@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> morrison@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Scott
 Morrison) writes:

>I just bought an ST, and I'm wondering which is the best C compiler for
>the machine.  I've noticed many people in this group seem to use the Mark
>Williams C compiler.  Is this considered the best?
>                    Scott Morrison
>                    morrison@Berkeley.EDU.ARPA

That one is easy.

Use Megamax C!

--
peter@megamax

uucp:    {texsun,killer,infotel}!pollux!megamax!peter
voice:    (214) 987-4931

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 87 10:55:43 PDT
From: Kevin Burnett <kevin@lindy.stanford.edu>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: GDOS extensions???

In article <8706242217.AA05641@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> starner@burdvax writes:
>This may be an old question, but how does one get hold of
>the GDOS extensions for TOS?
>
>In the Compute Book: ATARI ST: VDI that say that without the GDOS
>extensions, you cannot specify new defaults for the (for example)
>opnvwks call.
This is really beginning to irritate me. When the hell are we going to see
GDOS for the ST?? This is something that should have been available from
DAY 1. I was really ticked off when I couldn't do any of the neat stuff
GDOS will supposedly do when I got my machine, after all the ST was billed
as being able to do this stuff.
  And when am I going to see some decent technical documents? I can't afford
$300 for the damned 'developer's kit'!  "Atari ST Internals" contains some
obnoxious errors, and from what I can tell the BIOS listing in the back is
for a version of RAM TOS! That's a real help to me. I mean, come on, even
(dare I say it) IBM is better about such things.

Date: 23 Jun 87 12:12:00 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!qtecmuc!ger@seismo.css.gov
Subject: %g in Mark Williams C - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with Mark William C Version 1.0.4 on the Atari.
When I use "%g" in format strings for printf, insignificant zeros
are not truncated like K&R demand it. Example:
printf("%g",1.25);
gives me: 1.2500000
Question: Is this fixed in the new 2.0 Version ???
Or have the language specifications changed (new ANSI standard) ???

Date:    Thu, 25 Jun 87 07:58:55 MDT
From:     edstrom%UNCAEDU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: BMS controller and HD Boot
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Has anyone with a BMS HD controller tried booting from the HD? If so, how can
it be done, if it can?

EDSTROM@UNCAEDU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 12:49:45 GMT
From: imagen!atari!dyer@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Landon Dyer)
Subject: Re: BIOS re-entrancy
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <955@eneevax.UUCP>, iarocci@eneevax.UUCP (John Iarocci) says:
> Also, does anyone know if any conflics may arise if a process were preempted
> in the middle of the BIOS, only to have another process make a BIOS call,
> possibly the same one that was interrupted?  The same question goes for the
> XBIOS and GEMDOS.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

The BIOS, XBIOS and GEMDOS are not re-entrant -- TOS is not a
multitasking operating system.  The functions below the trap handlers
(which use temps in memory, twiddle bits in the hardware and so on)
would have serious problems if they were called on multiple threads.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation           {sun,amdcad,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dye
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those         BUSINESS

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 17:41:30 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <955@eneevax.UUCP>, iarocci@eneevax.UUCP (John Iarocci) says:

> I'm writing a multi-tasking kernel, and trying to find
> a safe way ...
>
> | Bill Dorsey          'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'

You sure are imagining...  There are no safe ways to do *anything* with
the current GEMDOS in terms of a multi-tasking kernel.  If you want it,
buy Beckmeyer or write your own OS.  It can be done (we're considering
it) but it ain't easy, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to force this on the current
GEMDOS.  How did Beckmeyer do it?  He wrote his own OS.  Sorry, kids.

/----------------------------------------------\

554 qfAA09495: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Wed 8 Jul 87 14:51:34 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #263
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, July  8, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 263

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                             MFP problems
                                STadel
                          Degas File Formats
                  Re: Unix Windows (source required)
                           BIOS re-entrancy
                                Curses
                        HDSCAN, bummer man...
                    Re: How can you send a BREAK?
                         Re: BIOS re-entrancy
                    Re: How can you send a BREAK?
                           Re: MFP problems
                        more DCFORMAT problems
                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
            Where can I get the latest version of UNITERM?
                   Re: MWC problem with 'long int'

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 87 12:56:36 CET
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
From: HAHN_K%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: MFP problems

I'm still trying to install my own timer, and stumbled over the
'fact', that the system's timer ('C') is said to generate a 200hz-
interrupt... As far as I can see it's installing procedure uses a
division factor of 64 (decimal, I suppose), and a counter that's
set to 192 (C0 hex). IF I believe my documentation which says that
the MFP 68901 uses a 4Mhz - clock cycle, then what? All the divisions
mentioned above wouldn't at all generate a 200hz-interrupt. Am I
wrong? What I need are the data and control values for getting a
one-millisecond resolution.
Any suggestions?
Yours in advance, Klaus.

  -- Klaus Hahn --

<HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 07:41:18 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!percival!edrury@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ed Drury)
Subject: STadel
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  What is the current status of Citadel 3.1 for the ST? I have
not seen any news for some time.
  Also, is anyone interested in creating a snail mail STadel update
type thing. I am currently running v. 3.0c but am DYING for a uucp
capable STadel as a high percentage of my users are *nix account
users, my self included....

*    ..!{ucbvax,ihnp4,seismo}!tektronix!reed!percival!edrury            *
*                                       *
* "You should never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for   *
* freedom and liberty."                                                    *
*        -- Henrick Ibson                                           *

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 07:36:17 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!percival!edrury@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ed Drury)
Subject: Degas File Formats
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 degas  uses the following file format:
The first 2048 bytes fof the font file are divided into 128
groups of 16 bytes. Each set of which are a char. The 16
bytes are stored from the  top to bottom.
 The last two bytes are a WORD indciating whether or not the font is scaled too
 half it's normal
height.
  A DEGAS picture file uses the first two
bytes to determine resolution.
The next 32 to give color palette information and 32000 to give picture data.
 I hope this is of some help.

Date: 23 Jun 87 00:43:14 GMT
From: ihnp4!upba!eecae!msudoc!las@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Larry A. Sheilds {runs
 Lunapark})
Subject: Re: Unix Windows (source required)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I too would like UW source.
    thanks,
                                    ==larry
--
---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        USENET: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 18:16:36 GMT
From: iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu  (John Iarocci)
Subject: BIOS re-entrancy
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Anyone out there have any experience with making BIOS, XBIOS, and/or GEMDOS
calls recursively?  I'm writing a multi-tasking kernel, and trying to find
a safe way to allow multiple processes access to operating system functions.
My understanding is that upon entry to the BIOS trap routines, registers
are saved in savptr ($4a2).  However, the default save area contains enough
room for only three levels of re-entrancy.  Can this situation be resolved
simply by allocating a larger area of memory and setting savptr to point to
it?

Also, does anyone know if any conflics may arise if a process were preempted
in the middle of the BIOS, only to have another process make a BIOS call,
possibly the same one that was interrupted?  The same question goes for the
XBIOS and GEMDOS.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

| Bill Dorsey          'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'        |
|                                            - Albert Einstein                |
|     'He who has imagination without learning has wings and no feet.'        |
|                                            - Joubert                        |
| ARPA : iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu                                              |
| UUCP : [seismo,allegra,rlgvax]!umcp-cs!eneevax!iarocci                      |

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 23 Jun 87 12:52 EST
From:     Matt Kimmel <KIMMEL%ecs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To:       Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Curses

Is there a version of Curses available for the ST?  If so, could someone
mail it to me?  Please write me in advance so that I don't end up with
20 copies of Curses in my mailbox.  Thanks!

Date: 17 Jun 87 01:08:25 GMT
From: ptsfa!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!uhnix2!uace0@ames.arpa  (Univ ATARI Comp
 Enthusiasts)
Subject: HDSCAN, bummer man...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I still couldn't get the new posting to work correctly.  It exits arc saying
that there is a CRC error.  Perhaps the poster can send me a direct copy, or
perhaps not arc the file before uuencoding, or uuencode on the ST (preferred)
then send it on the net.  The file I have this time is the same size as the old
one, and spits out the same error.
I am of course referring to HDSCAN 1.3

- Mike
--
+  A Smith & Wesson beats a four of a kind!   +      uhnix2!uace0

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 11:14:08 EDT
From: Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Re: How can you send a BREAK?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

johng@iscuva.UUCP (John Gardner) writes:
> The Atari developer's kit includes a function called Rsconf ...

This is an XBIOS routine built into TOS and not a part of the developer's kit.
It can be called from any language that provides access to the system
 primitives.

--Mike Fischer  <fischer@yale.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 10:59:37 EDT
From: Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    Anyone out there have any experience with making BIOS, XBIOS, and/or GEMDOS
    calls recursively?

I've called a BIOS routine successfully from inside an RWABS handler, but I've
never been able to call a GEMDOS routine from there, presumably because
GEMDOS ==> RWABS ==> GEMDOS results in a recursive call on GEMDOS.  I'd
like to know how.

    I'm writing a multi-tasking kernel, and trying to find
    a safe way to allow multiple processes access to operating system functions
    My understanding is that upon entry to the BIOS trap routines, registers
    are saved in savptr ($4a2).  However, the default save area contains enough
    room for only three levels of re-entrancy.  Can this situation be resolved
    simply by allocating a larger area of memory and setting savptr to point to
    it?

Yes, I think so, but I'm not convinced that that is the only problem.  I tried
expanding the save area once and the recursive call still crashed.  Of course,
maybe I didn't do it correctly...

    Also, does anyone know if any conflics may arise if a process were preempte
    in the middle of the BIOS, only to have another process make a BIOS call,
    possibly the same one that was interrupted?  The same question goes for the
    XBIOS and GEMDOS.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Interrupting a BIOS routine at an arbitrary point seems very unlikely
to work, The BIOS manipulates hardware control registers, then waits
for the actions to complete.  Interrupting in the middle would be
disasterous.  For example, if you interrputed a disk read between
the seek and the actual I/O operation and then did another read,
when you came back to the first one the head would be in the wrong
place.  To write a good multi-taksing kernel, you should rewrite
the BIOS to put the current task in an I/O wait state when I/O has
been initiated and then go back to the process scheduler to see
if another task can be run.  Completion of the I/O would then be
detected by an interrput rather than by busy-wait loops as in the
current BIOS.  The BIOS itself would then have to worry about how much
concurrency to permit and how to schedule multiple requests.  Short
of a complete rewrite, your best bet is probably to set a lock when
the BIOS is entered and to make sure not to switch tasks while the
lock is set.  The same thing will probably also be needed for calls
to GEMDOS, XBIOS, and perhaps also VDI and AES or at least the line A
graphics routines.

Then there is the memory fragmentation problem.  While you can write
your own memory manager, TOS will continue to use its own Malloc,
unless of course you *replace* the GEMDOS version with your own
and TOS is clean enough to always go through the trap vector when
calling GEMDOS functions.

Doing a multi-tasking kernel right is a big job.  Modifying a system
like TOS to make it multitasking is perhaps even harder than starting
from scratch, especially without access to the sources.  Good luck!

--Mike Fischer
  <fischer@yale.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 87 03:20:17 GMT
From: uunet!iscuva!johng@seismo.css.gov  (John Gardner)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8706230308.AA26681@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET (NAME
 NIK ZAPANTIS) writes:
>  I would like to be able to send a BREAK to my RS-232 port from my program,
>just like UNITERM does with the ALT L or ALT B key.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Nik Zapantis

To send the break signal, you need to program the 68901's tsr register. If
you put in a hex 0x89 the RS232 port will now send the break signal. Write
tsr with a hex 0x81 to turn it off.

The Atari developer's kit includes a function called Rsconf and basically
if you do something like Rsconf(-1, -1, -1, -1, 0x89, -1); you turn on
break. The -1's tell this function not to change the parameter at that
location. The parameters appear like this,
  Rsconf(speed, flowctl, ucr, rsr, tsr, scr);

Later, JAG

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 10:59:52 EDT
From: Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    I'm still trying to install my own timer, and stumbled over the
    'fact', that the system's timer ('C') is said to generate a 200hz-
    interrupt... As far as I can see it's installing procedure uses a
    division factor of 64 (decimal, I suppose), and a counter that's
    set to 192 (C0 hex). IF I believe my documentation which says that
    the MFP 68901 uses a 4Mhz - clock cycle, then what? All the divisions
    mentioned above wouldn't at all generate a 200hz-interrupt. Am I
    wrong? What I need are the data and control values for getting a
    one-millisecond resolution.
    Any suggestions?
    Yours in advance, Klaus.

A 200hz interrupt has a 5 millisecond period.  The numbers you give
are not far off, if the '64' is interpreted as a hex number (= 100 decimal),
for then the timer would interrupt every 100*192 clock cycles, or every
19.2/4 = 4.8 milliseconds.

--Mike Fischer
  Arpanet: <fischer@yale.arpa>
  Bitnet:  <fischer@yalecs>

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 13:53:00 GMT
From: cca!mirror!datacube!ftw@husc6.harvard.edu
Subject: more DCFORMAT problems
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The patch to dcformat.uue that was posted on June 18 by pmt@sbcs.uucp does
not seem to fix the problem I have with the archive.  I don't appear to have
any truncated lines; my copy of ARC claims that both dcformat.prg and
dcformat.rsc have bad checksums.  Anyone else have this problem with
the dcformat archive? (Moshe, is this the trouble you had?)

            Farrell

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 87 04:04:36 GMT
From: necntc!adelie!mirror!xanth!src@husc6.harvard.edu  (Scott R. Chilcote)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <762@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

> I don't know how these stories get out.
>
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

    Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that only one of every
forty or so messages directed at Atari induces a response, and in this
this case you ignored the principal question in order to sling mud at an
admittedly misinformed reply.

    My information came directly from an Atari distributor who merchandises
a local retail store where I work.  If and when you choose to provide
your distributors with correct information, then as an Atari salesperson I
will accurately relay it to the public.

    Your tolerance for lesser mortals is humbly appreciated.

Disclaimer:  I said it, so I'll take the rap!
src@xanth.UUCP                                                  Scott Chilcote

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 87 12:25:27 GMT
From: ptsfa!hoptoad!academ!killer!blaise@ames.arpa  (Walter Wilinsky)
Subject: Where can I get the latest version of UNITERM?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Could some kind soul please post or E-mail me the latest version of
UNITERM, I think it is version 1.7b. I need kermit which is not in
the version of UNITERM that I have (1.6).

Thanks in Advance
Wally Wilinsky
{ihnp4,pollux,dj3b1}!killer!blaise

      ni

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jun 87 11:06:16 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!@@seismo.css.gov  (Andreas Toenne)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi,

has anyone collected all known bugs in MWC 2.0 ??
I am quite happy with the old version (and I know all its bugs :-)
but 2.0 is probably better.

    Andreas Toenne
    U of Dortmund, IRB
    West Germany

    at@unido.uucp
    at@unido.bitnet

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 qfAA09579: line 6: <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name

Date:         Wed 8 Jul 87 18:39:18 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #265
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, July  8, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 265

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                  Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
                            Re: David Betz
                        MICROSOFT Write for ST
                    Patch for mangled DCFORMAT.UUE
                  interrupt handling with Megamax C
                            This and that.
            Re: More ST Floating Point Performance - (nf)
            Re: More ST Floating Point Performance - (nf)
                              Re: STadel
                      Re: Mega-ST release date?
                         General ST questions
                          Re: MWC and STADEL
              Re: Re: Repost due to SCORE failure (LONG)

Date: 25 Jun 87 17:32:00 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <19400005@qtecmuc.UUCP>, ger@qtecmuc.UUCP says:
> does anyone know, if there is a way to distinguish between
> Functionkey F1, ALT-F1 and CTRL-F1 using C (MWC).
> All routines like Bconin or Crawcin don't make a difference at all.

What you need to remember is that the BIOS and GEMDOS calls return
a LONG value.  The highest byte of this value can contain the shift-key
state when the key was hit.  You tell the OS to put the shift key state
in that byte by setting bit 3 in the (published) system variable "conterm"
to 1 (that is, *(char *)0x484 |= 4;).  Better clear it again before
your program exits, though, because the desktop might not be able to
handle it (use *(char *)0x484 &= ~4;).

The upper byte is bit-mapped as follows (0 means up, 1 means down):

Bit    Key
0    Right shift
1    Left shift
2    Ctrl
3    ALT
4    Caps-lock (toggles with each press of the key)
5    Right mouse button
6    Left mouse button
7    Reserved, currently zero

/----------------------------------------------\

Date: 24 Jun 87 12:34:24 GMT
From: rocksanne!xrxns!xrx2!dupre@cs.rochester.edu  (Frank Dupre)
Subject: Re: David Betz
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8706151616.AA11881@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> NETWORK@FRSAC11.BITNET
 writes:
>Can some kind soul send me the address of David Betz, of XLISP fame ?
>I mean a snail mail address, not BIX.
>
>Jean-Pierre H. Dumas

 David Betz
114 Davenport Ave.
Manchester, NH  03103
(603) 625-4691

..!seismo!rochester!rocksanne!xrxns!dupre

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 18:45:47 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!sbcs!lean@decwrl.dec.com  (Lean l Loh)
Subject: MICROSOFT Write for ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  I asked about MICROSOFT's WRITE for the ST about a month ago, but did not
get any response.  A friend of mine in France HAS this program.  From what
he printed out, it looks impressive.  Anyone seen this program in US?
Any info or rumors ???

  About a month ago,   I offerred to give away my original copy of
the FLASH (from Antic) telecommunication program together with the manual.
If anyone sends me a SASE , I'll put the original diskette and manual in it,
and send it to you.   (Please put enough postage)   I've been using some other
public domain telecom program and FLASH has been in my drawer for many months
now.

 Lean Loh,
 Dept of Computer Science,
 S.U.N.Y.,
 Stony Brook, NY 11794-4400

--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 18:55:25 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!sbcs!lean@decwrl.dec.com  (Lean l Loh)
Subject: Patch for mangled DCFORMAT.UUE
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 Since so many people have bad copies of DCFORMAT.UUE, I am posting
a 30-line segment from that uuencoded file. Most complained about
truncated lines near line 210.   The segment I'm enclosing starts
at line 200:

M'!9O# $I@- 0(AZQ1  $J MUDQUZ\ Y](Q0F4)K5%!UZP YN$!DF4)KK\@B2$
M'@ A;W@Q@@!Z_D:T0R3,\!<(H AH$R,(H.=OM"N+A !J@#8Q@@!Z_D;BLD@($
MH 1T)![,4!Z0%"#344]N@R!U!$F2I&YN@R"0)$E9Z#8(<AP!0 ;*P0Q_T0#.$
M<&#TX,'B4?+T@ _SKP_VP0Q_@0"2@#:)00]I2"2(020"122]D?1_@0 *P'5$$
MDH9$@AA$(E!$TAL5R,&Z< !>[I-3SR-$P@Q_80!E#!:1T0'VP0Q_T0TZH'/B$
M0@_,\!?= -.Z8A_,\!?=X $ZQT_,\!?=  $ZQV7,\!?=( # (@"@ (+VP0Q_$
M@0ZB8()~F()~0@* (@,AK0N100+VP0Q_T0V#C645F#$\0B3,\!<&P/000"4"$
M( 4VV %!"!HB%-0B9.+3,88\#0 >$(0R4C)!+4(F/AT>8(,,F29,K"0XQ-[3$
M43<\726 PL1*(@5=42]8R-,C!RA,;";1+2/B8(-[FB9,K"0*$-TRX@Q(""A,$
M3#/&*".Z\(. PL1*(@#&*".FL(6 H@"~X80R@M,\#0"/DB9,3#,U5B~ @#I*$
M\I,Z P 63R3\8 ;@"!1N:$1A>]](I@OSL&&/4*4GG%K0GPZ>8'E$8B0O=P9&$
M%+;U&@]~,!C'L9[*P0Q_L0"($'*>4P'VP0Q_00#"0' 28!_,\!?;H C  @#N$
MPM, H & (B@N~"9T B=RPMX#00TVR & 4ISQ%+;W323R= R>(/45F#$\0B3,$
M\!>#37 <8!_,\!?;0 +  @"YQ=, D & <C='GT 0TQJ.H',98!_,\!?:8 ]3$
M(BP\#0 ; "@P\!?5D!L5F#$\0B3,\!<#T-<U)Q0;8!_,\!?:X M38@(V. * $
MP@&>$[2Z@ Y/ QE",0+VP0Q_H0U5\PB2/@%~"##]H 7V\>="D02 8P.CW7T6$
M(>, \/\(4/H*H .[2?S3P9Y;/QWRL_7_D _~L  GOO4R(C];7V/~L "#D@#!$
M4 QTH@_$/QW?2R2Y)QZC3B3ZX'H'[0\),##Z  Y <-#~H!JSF'(1<YD>PP;]$
M@!A"D0!_D0"4@#9*T+ZCJ7+!=@ZJ0#JJ(12@HPOGX E4\ @8K_'<EP))( S$$
MD )*( S ( ([X;;(X 1"( )L( S$0 )L( S67P=+(@ !$  "$ "@'P !( "6$
M4@ -H0"@OR0#4   4  %<! !( "@#P$'$  " /J0H "6,@ "$  !(  !$  "$
M8"D$( "6,@ -P0 "8"D%8  !$  $8"D#,  !(  !$  $(  !@  ! /J08 "6$
M,@ )8"DS#@ %$  #,  !(  " /J0< ($, !S,0#!!/H( /H( /H$$  !,  !$
M /H%0"@#   %<!"@'P"@#PD9(  [! D;4 "@7P"@'P"@'P"@+P %$$R@+P"@$
M'P"@;P %T! %$ "@#_H" /H"8"D%T! 0$  ",  !( "68@ R OH!D!G>IP~,$
MC #*X >IVB9*H@"L/ !!H _~P @B$*&<<LO0T )(P!M0-H,XSAM2P%BQ!P$%$
M[P_C$ CDJ Q~  W!\#*PNY)+N9/:4!C)P ]_@1.6QP+*P *!2H[*X <I@ 3*$
MH);LH Q>D )(H P$0([*P ,I@ 3*@ #DJ PLD )(H P,0(Y[F0)(H SKR [*$
M@ $I@ 3*0 'DJ P D )(D Q](Q0*,+U80 6/$!K*P +),.HN;G8#$1D3,+T\$
M0 6/X,]F!QJ?IPP\P,@*H P~L,S*H+8,J@Q"P,@0H Q$P,@2H Q&P,@4H Q($

Date: 25 Jun 87 02:24:32 GMT
From: dalcs!dalcsug!sablone@seismo.css.gov  (Aurelio Sablone)
Subject: interrupt handling with Megamax C
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'm using the Megamax C compiler and I would like to write an interrupt
handler for Timer A of the MFP 68901 chip.  I have tried many different
variations using Megamax's inline assembly, but I've repeatedly run into
compiler errors.  Some of which are quite confusing and irritating since
Megamax does not seem to recognize standard 68000 assembly mneumonics
such as bclr.b  #5, $fffffa0f.   Has anyone had any success or knows
anything about writing interrupt handlers with Megamax?  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.....

                        Aurelio.

    UUCP: ...! {seismo, utai, watmath} !dalcs!dalcsug!sablone

------------------------------

From: NETWORK%FRSAC11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 87 11:44:16 GMT
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: This and that.

Date: 26 June 1987, 11:38:15 GMT
From: NETWORK  at FRSAC11
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE

Trying to reach DECNET sites:
I cant answer to PALLAS::LEIVO, and may be some other, my mailer doesnt
know about decnet gateways etc.
If anybody with a decnet access can mail uud to pallas::leivo, he will be glad.

Memory upgrade:
Thanks to some Swiss fellows who provided informations on memory upgrade.
There is almost half a dozen company in Switzerland and Germany proposing
2 or 4 meg. Price vary wildly. I wonder if the power supply of the 1040ST
can stand 4 meg of 256K chips. D. Giralt in Toulouse said the thing is
too weak to take anymore. Any experience ?
Have fun,

Jean-Pierre H. Dumas

network@frsac11 (bitnet)
network%frsac11.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu (arpanet)
...!ihnp4!frsac11.bitnet!network (usenet ?)
dumas@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (arpanet)

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 16:34:18 GMT
From: kodak!elmgate!jdg@cs.rochester.edu  (Jeff Gortatowsky)
Subject: Re: More ST Floating Point Performance - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <19400004@qtecmuc.UUCP> ger@qtecmuc.UUCP writes:

>According to Kernighan&Ritchie (Appendix A, 6.2 on page 184 in my copy)
>'all floating point arithmetic in C is carried out in double
>precision'.  Therefore, if manx on the AMIGA really uses one longword
>for floating point evaluations it simply isn't real C and benchmarks
>with this compiler are pure nonsens if compared with 'correct'
>C-Compilers using 64bit double precision.
>
>Gerhard Pehland
>UUCP:  ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

I'm not too sure (have to go home and check) but I believe Megamax also uses
single precision *if* you don't link with double.l.  Now Manx 3.4a on the
amiga gives you 4 different floating point choices.  Manx single, Amiga built
in single (shared lib I think), Manx IEEE double, and Amiga IEEE (again a
built in shrared lib). PLUS 68881 support.

Change,  is there a new release of MegaMax (large memory model, etc)?
Would some MWC 2.0 owners mail me their thoughts on the robust(ness?) of this
compiler? Latly I've had tons of problems porting code (just C standard stuff)
between machines (Amiga and ST) because MegaMax chokes badly on some complex
expressions (and not so complex) that Manx 3.4 swallows just fine.
I really need a robust compiler so as to concentrate on coding and not on
compiler problems.  Does MWC 2.0 fit that bill?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 13:51:59 GMT
From: mcvax!steven@seismo.css.gov  (Steven Pemberton)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <19400004@qtecmuc.UUCP> ger@qtecmuc.UUCP writes:
> According to Kernighan&Ritchie (Appendix A, 6.2 on page 184 in my copy)
> 'all floating point arithmetic in C is carried out in double precision'.
> Therefore, if manx on the AMIGA really uses one longword for floating point
> evaluations it simply isn't real C, and benchmarks with this compiler
> are pure nonsense if compared with 'correct' C-Compilers using 64 bit
> double precision.

You have misunderstood. One page earlier it says "[float] and [double] may
be  synonymous in some implementations.": when they say that floating point
is carried out in double precision, they mean 'in the accuracy used for
double precision'.

Actually, I know of at least one implementation that evaluates expressions
in greater than double precision. Obviously not a correct C compiler :-).

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@cwi.nl (steven@mcvax.uucp old style).

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 22:20:23 GMT
From: dayton!viper!john@RUTGERS.EDU  (John Stanley)
Subject: Re: STadel
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <744@percival.UUCP> edrury@percival.UUCP (Ed Drury) writes:

 >  What is the current status of Citadel 3.1 for the ST? I have
 >not seen any news for some time.
 >  Also, is anyone interested in creating a snail mail STadel update
 >type thing. I am currently running v. 3.0c but am DYING for a uucp
 >capable STadel as a high percentage of my users are *nix account
 >users, my self included....

  The STadel with UUCP mail gateway is currently "being worked on",
but don't hold your breath...  Orc, the primary STadel author, is a
bit frazzled from the recient glut of changes.  It may be tomorrow,
or it may be 2 months before he gets the time to do another update
marathon.

  If you have Orc's mailing address (sorry, I don't have it handy)
you can send him $5 (for the cost of 2 disks, postage, and a can of
pop) and he will send you the latest-and-greatest version including
all sources and documentation...

  You can contact Orc or myself at the STadel he runs.  The system's
name is "Pell" (don't ask) and the number is 612-377-9239.  If you
want to leave mail, my signon is "John Stanley", Orc's is "Orc".

  Since I can't find his address, if you want the most recient version
(3.0c I think), send your return address and $5 to me at the following
address.  I'll give them to Orc when I see him (about once a week...).

  To: Orc
  c/o John Stanley
  4157 Lyndale Ave. S.
  Mpls, Mn.  55409

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 22:12:42 GMT
From: imagen!atari!dyer@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Landon Dyer)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I asked Gary Tramiel whether Atari had shipped any Mega STs.  He
said that some had been shipped to and sold in Germany.  I don't
know how many have been sold.  I don't know if those Megas have
blitters or not.

Date: 26 Jun 87 06:04:08 GMT
From: amdcad!amd!sco!ericg@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Eric Griswold)
Subject: General ST questions
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'm thinking about buying an ST and I have some questions.  All answers,
be they opinions or facts are appreciated.  Please mail me and I
will summarize to this group, if appropriate.

1. Can anyone give me a concise contrast of the 520ST, the 1040ST, and
   the Mega-ST?

2. Is anyone using a reasonable implementation of LISP on their ST
   (I've heard many unfavorable things about Cambridge LISP)

3. Is there any definitive manual for the ST?  (Much like _De_Re_Atari_
   and _Mapping_the_Atari_ were for 8 bit machines?)

4. How much user memory (after GEM) is left on a 1040ST?  Generally,
   what must one do/pay to get more?

TIA,
--
Eric Griswold
Quote:  3 more of these will make a gallon

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 87 04:40:38 GMT
From: dayton!meccts!nis!stag!trb@RUTGERS.EDU  ( Todd Burkey )
Subject: Re: MWC and STADEL
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <52@laura.irb.informatik> at@unido.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) writes:
>Hi,
>
>has anyone collected all known bugs in MWC 2.0 ??
>I am quite happy with the old version (and I know all its bugs :-)
>but 2.0 is probably better.

2.0 is also faster...I haven't had any problems (or had any strange
glitches) with the 2.0 version yet. Had quite a few with prior
versions (developing HDSCAN). Speaking of HDSCAN, I will repost the
1.3 version as soon as I can locate a copy of DUMAS uuencode...I have
had too many people report that 1.3 didn't checksum right, so will
have to try uuencoding it on the ST. Would some kind soul please
re-post the DUMAS uuencode/uudecode so that we all have the same
version? It would be nice if someone near a main backbone could post
it every two months or so, since the number of ST readers on the net
appears to be growing quite rapidly (at least here in the cities...)

STADEL Update...In answer to a question a few messages back...ORC
appears to be taking a 'break from computing' to keep from going
insane and 'breaking the computer', so I am not sure how soon the uucp
code for STADEL will be released...Dale Schumaker has a hacked version
that he uses now to get mail and comp.sys.atari.st news (forwarded as
mail by my system). Dale wrote the entire uucico/uux capability by
reading the rfc specs that he downloaded from my system so when the
code gets into Citadel, there should be no PD problems from AT&T...

  -Todd Burkey
  ...ihnp4!meccts!stag!trb

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 22:34:18 GMT
From: imagen!atari!dyer@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Landon Dyer)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> As I understand, it will NOT be. The only thing Atari has admitted, is
> that they have/are/will be working on a new version of GEMDOS for release
> some time in the future, as far as we know this could just be another proof
> for the amount of competence in HYPE that Atari has.
> BTW a more supicous person than I am, could suggest that Atari has been
> systematically avoiding the publishing of fixes:

You could claim I'm lying, but we REALLY ARE doing a re-write.  And
it's harder than it sounds to make bug fixes to code that's:

    (1) everywhere;
    (2) in ROM;

... but we don't expect you to sympathize.  :-)

>         HD boot fix: been available Atari internally for a long time,
>                      but probably will never be distributed. HDB 2.3
>                      is probably better anyway!

It has been done since September of 1986.  I have been trying to push
it out the door ever since.  Not my fault -- put 22 cents to work and
send a letter to Leonard Tramiel.

>         40 folder fix: FOLDRXXX was obviously procduced as a quick
>                        'save our face' operation after GEMBOOT was
>                        made avaiable, with no intent on ever really
>                        distributing it (a nice touch was the way
>                        Atari leaked it out that they had a fix via
>                        Atari Germany, just to complain later it had been
>                        pirated!).

It was produced as an "Oh, of course!" in a couple of hours, and
finished in mid-Febuary of 1987.  I don't give a damn about saving
Atari's face -- but I *do* care about the quality of the software on
the ST.  Again, it is stalled somewhere in management, so get out your
book of stamps and start writing....

--