[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard disk reliability

fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA (Michael Fischer) (07/15/87)

Moshe Braner <braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu> writes:
> My personal impression is that the current day hard disks are
> _unreliable_.  As a group.  Now could somebody out there arrange
> an Atari ST <--> Micro Bernoulli connection?  (Removable, 5", 20Meg,
> flexible, durable cartridges!)  Meanwhile, _please_ do not put any
> valuable data on a hard disk.  Use it for work copies of programs that
> you already have on floppies.  Put you data on two (or more) floppies
> and upload it to some mainframe too...

I believe this is a serious overstatement that may mislead people
into foregoing the advantages of hard disks out of unwarranted fear.
I have two Atari SH204 20-meg hard disks, one 11 months old and
the other 1 month old, and neither has given me any problem
whatsoever.  This isn't to say that failures cannot happen; hard
disks can and do crash, just as floppies can fail.  Moshe's advice
to back up ALL valuable data should be heeded, no matter what kind
of device the data is stored on.  3 copies are much better than
two, for a common mistake is to discover an error while backing
up a master copy and find that the old backup copy has already been
destroyed by the backup process.  A good rule of thumb is, "Never
have all your copies simultaneously mounted on the same machine."

*** EXTINGUISHER ON ***
I have flamed at Atari numerous times in the past for the sorry
state of their software, but I would like to commend them for the
high quality of their hardware.  I have bought 5 complete ST systems
over the past two years and never had a failure (except one time
that water dripped into a running 1040).  I may just be lucky, and
I don't really expect it to continue indefinitely, but it is
nevertheless an enviable reliability record for any kind of computer
and especially outstanding for a low-priced machine.
*** EXTINGUISHER OFF ***

--Mike Fischer <fischer@yale.arpa>
-------