[comp.sys.atari.st] Returned mail: Unable to deliver mail

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name : sampo

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Date:         Sat 11 Jul 87 23:15:02 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #273
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, July 11, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 273

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

              inquiry on current versions of C compilers
                          Lost disk sectors
                       More on HDB and GEMBOOT
                        Newest ATARINET index
                    Uniterm vs EasyDraw metafiles
                         HP LaserJet software
                What's the latest version of the Sac?
                        Re: SMALLTALK on Atari
                  Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
       ATARI ST w/hybrid arts smptetrack; Any users out there?
                   Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 - (nf)

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 87 16:39:45 +0200
From: mcvax!ingrid.laas.fr!didier@seismo.CSS.GOV (Didier Giralt)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: inquiry on current versions of C compilers

  In the process of shopping around for a C compiler,
I would like to know what the latest releases of Megamax,
Mark Williams and Lattice are. I know some retailers
would just *love* to get rid of their oldies.

Thanks,

Didier.
-----------------------

Didier Giralt                ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!lasso!didier
LAAS-CNRS
7, av du Colonel Roche         DO NOT USE THE 'reply' FUNCTION OF YOUR MAILER
31077 Toulouse Cedex             TO REACH ME: IT MAY FAIL.  (domain problems)
France

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 87 14:03:57 EDT
From: Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Lost disk sectors
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I wrote a little program to display the FAT (File Allocation Table)
on a disk that appeared to be completely full and was surprised
to see the last two clusters (= 4 sectors) free.  Looking at the
data itself confirmed that they were unused.  Doing a little
arithmetic, I came up with the following: When formatting a SS disk,
TOS announces 357376 bytes free.  Floppy disk space is allocated
in clusters of 2 sectors = 1024 bytes, so 357376 bytes = 349 clusters
= 698 sectors.  Add to that 1 for the boot sector, 5 for each of
the 2 copies of the FAT, and 7 for the root directory, and you get
a total of 716 sectors.  A standard format disk has 80 tracks times
9 sectors per track for a total of 720 sectors, so indeed there is
a discrepency of 4.  Similar results apply to a DS disk:  TOS
announces 726016 bytes free = 709 clusters = 1418 sectors.  Add
to it the 18 sectors at the beginning to get 1436 sectors, 4 less
that the 1440 on a raw disk.

Has anybody else noticed this before?  Is it a TOS bug?  If so,
has it been fixed in the newer ROMs?

--Mike Fischer <fischer@yale.arpa>

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 07 Jul 87 13:58:31 CDT
From: "University (of Houston) ACE (UACE)"
 <UACE0%UHUPVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      More on HDB and GEMBOOT
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu

Here is a little note which Konrad sent with the new versions of HDB & GEMBOOT.
--------------------------------------------------- Mike Vederman

Hello Mike,
to reduce transatlantic email I send you the newest versions of GEMBOOT and
HDB.

HDB V2.3 has same minor improvements:
 - deselect floppy (the ROM startup code leaves the floppy drives selected
   till first access)
 - optional switch to floppy boot if a special key combination is pressed
   during boot

New features of GEMBOOT V1.10 (compared to V1.08) are:
 - incremental add of folder cache blocks during directory scan
 - indicates free directory cache space left after login
 - adjustable size of DESKTOP environment buffer
 - definition of DESKTOP environment variables within GEMBOOT.INF
 - optional use of batch shell other than COMMAND.TOS
 - new program GEMFRL.TOS to locate and print the GEMDOS internal free
   lists

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 07 Jul 87 14:00:53 CDT
From: "University (of Houston) ACE (UACE)"
 <UACE0%UHUPVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      Newest ATARINET index
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu

Here is a little note explaining using ATARINET along with the newest index.

- Mike

Please use your interactive message facility to talk to atarinet.  Use:

tell uh-info at uhupvm1 atarinet help   (from CMS)   -or-
send/remote uhupvm1 uh-info "atarinet help"  (from VAX/VMS, JNET 2.0 or less)
     -or-
send uh-info@uhupvm1 "atarinet help"  (VAX/VMS, JNET 3.0 or greater)

You can only access ATARINET interactively on BITNET.  If you do not have
interactive messages (and are on BITNET) or you are on another net, please
send a note requesting the files you want to:

UACE0 at UHUPVM1  (that's a zero)

Large requests will certainly take a lot of time to process.

- Mike Vederman

**  Welcome  to  ATARINET,  sponsored  by  the   **
**  University Atari Computer Enthusiasts (UACE) **
**         at the University of Houston          **
**                                               **
**                   xx xx xx                    **
**                   xx xx xx                    **
**                   xx xx xx                    **
**                  xxx xx xxx                   **
**                 xxx  xx  xxx                  **
**                xxx   xx   xxx                 **
**              xxx     xx     xxx               **
**           xxxxx      xx      xxxxx            **
**        xxxxxx        xx        xxxxxx         **
**                                               **
**                                               **
**      ATARINET is a subserver of UH-INFO       **
**         Send comments and files for           **
**         ATARINET to UACE0 at UHUPVM1.         **
**     Many files are currently available        **
*=================================================*
* To get info-atari16 digests, use                *
* LISTSERV at FINHUTC  or  LISTSERV at CANADA01   *
*-------------------------------------------------*
* Files with * instead of : indicate new entries  *
*-------------------------------------------------*
* ATARINET now has 15 megabytes of online storage *
*=================================================*
UNITERM  ALL       * Uniterm 1.7b 027  on 6/30/87 (uue and arc)
ATARINET EXEC      : CMS EXEC for easy use of ATARINET
ATARINET INDEX     : This index
DLII     NEW       * Version changes, updated for DLII V .024
KONRAD   NEW       * New things for HDB v2.3 and GEMBOOT v1.10
UNITERM  NEW       * Addendum to Uniterm 1.7a+ docs, updated for 1.7b 027
UUDECODE BAS       : use it to decode uudecode uue, ST BASIC
PAD61    C         : Add truncated spaces to files
TRACE    C         : Use with TEMPLMON UUE a great set of bebugging tools
XYPLOT   C         : Plot curves, C source
UUDECODE CLD       : VAX uudecode defs
UUENCODE CLD       : VAX uuencode defs
RAMDISK  HEX       : Reset proof ramdisk and docs
ROMAN    ICN       : ICON sample program
MEANDER  ICN       : ICON sample program
WORDCNT  ICN       : ICON sample program
ASBEST   IM        : Image file for AIM
BNOISE   IM        : Image file for AIM
CERMET   IM        : Image file for AIM
KETEL    IM        : Image file for AIM
MAAN     IM        : Image file for AIM
TUD      IM        : Image file for AIM
TRUI     IM        : Image file for AIM
BBS      LIST      : List of BBS
ATARINET NEWS      : ATARINET news file
UUDECODE PAS       : VAX UUDECODE
UUENCODE PAS       : VAX UUENCODE
PROFFMAN PRF       : PROFF text formatter manual
PROFF1   SH        : Source for PROFF
PROFF2   SH        : Source for PROFF
PROFF3   SH        : Source for PROFF
PROFF    FIX       : Source fix for small PROFF bug
MOLECULE RUN       * Brief instructions to run MOLECULE
KEYBOARD TRANS     : Keyboard translation tables
PASCAL   TUTOR     : Tutorial on Pascal
INTERUPT S         : Interupts any program (almost)
RELMOD   S         : Relocation linker
SPRITE   SH        : Using Line-A sprite calls
1ST2PS   UUE       * Convert 1st Word text to Post Script file.
ADVENT   UUE       : The original collosal caves adventure.
AIM      UUE       : Advanced IMage processing - 4 stars - needs 1 meg
AIMHELP  UUE       : Help files for AIM UUE above
AMIGA    UUE       : Long awaited Amiga emulator - color only.  :-)
APL      UUE       : APL 68000 for the ST - DEMO version
APLWKS   UUE       : APL 68000 for the ST - DEMO workspaces
ARC      UUE       : ARC - compactor, archiver...
ARGUS    UUE       : Intercepts disk I/O and prints info on screen - mono
ASH      UUE       : Very nice shell, but Gulam is better.
BLACK    UUE       : A nice screen saver that works!
CALC     UUE       : A very nice mono calculator
CC       UUE       : A primitive CC for the ST.
CC2      UUE       : PD C compiler.  (BAD copy... please send if u have good)
CZPATCH  UUE       : MIDI prog of some sort ... :-)
DALEKS   UUE       : A game.
DCCLOCK  UUE       : Must See!! All rez, all progs.
DCFORMAT UUE       * Enhanced The Formatter, many new options, mono only
DEINST   UUE       : Turn 1st word .cfg back to .hex
DEMO     UUE       : Command file for AIM UUE above
DISASSM  UUE       : A nice PD disassembler.
DISKEDIT UUE       : A disk editor.
DISKTOP2 UUE       : A disk organizer.
DLII     UUE       * A Disk Looker by Simon Poole (use at own risk) v.022
DLII     DOC       * DLII documentation and changes
DUEX     UUE       : A German disk utility program.
DVI      UUE       : PREVIEW TEX FILES ON MONOCHROME SYSTEM, 1 MEG NEEDED
DXPATCH  UUE       : MIDI prog of some sort ...
ETERNAL  UUE       : Another reset proof ramdisk
FF       UUE       : Yet another fractal program, but faster...
FOLDRXXX UUE       : Replace XXX w/number of folders to add, put in auto
FOOTBALL UUE       : Less than great football game
FORMATER UUE       : Fast disk formatter for all STs
FORTH    UUE       : PD FORTH
FRACTAL  UUE       : YES, another fractal program...
FSIZE    UUE       : Acc tells xmodem block size
GEMBOOT  UUE       * New version 1.10  Fix dreaded 40 folder limit.
GFABAS20 UUE       : GFA BASIC run-only version
GFA_ECAD UUE       : GFA BASIC for electronics CAD
GOBANG   UUE       : A game like PENTE, mono only.
GULAM    UUE       : Most complete shell around
HDB      UUE       * New hard disk booter version 2.3
HDSCAN   UUE       : No known working version of 1.3. If you have, please send.
ICON     UUE       : ICON programming language
KALKLOCK UUE       : A clock/calendar desk accessory
KEYBOARD UUE       : Change keyboard translation
KEYEDIT  UUE       : For use with Uniterm versions 1.6g+
KRABAT   UUE       : Monochrome chess game, nice.
KRABAT2  UUE       : Picture files for KRABAT, put in PICTURES folder
LARN1    UUE       : A GAME, D&D TYPE (UUE AND ARC)
LARN2    UUE       :    "                 "
LARN3    UUE       :    "                 "
LARN4    UUE       :    "                 "
LARN5    UUE       :    "                 "
LARN6    UUE       :    "                 "
LESS     UUE       : Just like more, but its less
MEGABLT2 UUE       : A nice drawing program
MG       UUE       : Micro GNU Emacs
MOBZDIAL UUE       : DA that dials phone numbers. v2
MOBZKEY2 UUE       : Change keyboard configuration
MOBZUTIL UUE       : Disk functions from accessory
MOLECULE UUE       * Fantastic, plot atomic particles and animate!!
MONST    UUE       : Debugger, monitor... excellent
MOSHE    UUE       : Favorites from Moshe Braner; docs, progs, source
MULTIANI UUE       : Multiple birds in flight (blitter demo) low rez.
NEWFONT  UUE       : Change monochrome fonts
NIGHT    UUE       : Screen saver ...
OXYGEN1  UUE       * EXCELLENT digitized music, part 1 of 4, 1meg
OXYGEN2  UUE       * EXCELLENT digitized music, part 2 of 4, 1meg
OXYGEN3  UUE       * EXCELLENT digitized music, part 3 of 4, 1meg
OXYGEN4  UUE       * EXCELLENT digitized music, part 4 of 4, 1meg
PCOMMAND UUE       : A command line interpreter, very, very good.
PROFF    UUE       : PROFF text formatter
PRESTEL  UUE       : A videotex terminal program
SBASE    UUE       : A simple database
SPACEWAR UUE       : The spacewar game version 3.1, color and mono
SPEAK2   UUE       : Use to input file to stspeech. (Which I don't have)
STARCHRT UUE       : Plot heavenly bodies in low rez. Very good!!
STMAKE1  UUE       : A make for the ST.
STMAKE2  UUE       :    "          "
STMAKE3  UUE       :    "          "
STMAKE4  UUE       :    "          "
TEMPLMON UUE       : Nice looking debugger... (If only I knew German)
UG       UUE       : Uniterm 1.7a+ manual
UUDECOD2 UUE       : New and improved!!  Dumas version.
UUDECODE UUE       : Compiled uudecode, fast
UUENCODE UUE       : Compiled uuencode, fast
WINDOW   UUE       : A breakout-like accessory...
ZOTTL    UUE       : Cute German demo.
ZZZAP    UUE       : Cleans up unwanted files from ramdisk.
STMAKE   DOC       : Docs for STMAKE
UUCODE   UUE       : Desk accessory that does uuencode and uudecode!
ARC      DOC       : Docs for ARC
DUEX     DOC       : Docs for DUEX UUE
DVI      DOC       : Doc file for DVI UE
GEMBOOT  DOC       : Explains briefly GEMBOOT UUE
HDSCAN   DOC       : Docs for HDSCAN UUE
SPEAK    DOC       : Docs for speak2 uue below
TEMPLMON DOC       : English version of docs... Well kinda... Get TRACE C
UUCODE   DOC       : Documentation for VAX UU**CODE

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 7 Jul 87 12:35 ADT
From: <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Uniterm vs EasyDraw metafiles
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've been looking at the metafiles that Uniterm can generate when used with
GDOS.  The metafiles work very nicely with the DRI OUTPUT.PRG that EasyDraw
supplies...I've had excellent results using OUTPUT.PRG to send graphics to
the HP LaserJet.  However, trying to read the files into EasyDraw (v 2.06)
gets nowhere.
As far as I can tell EasyDraw is very narrow minded about the scaling it will
accept.  Does anybody know of a program or procedure that will make Uniterm
metafiles acceptable to EasyDraw?
Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 7 Jul 87 14:44 ADT
From: <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  HP LaserJet software
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'm curious if there are any utilities for the HP LaserJet (series II,
512K) out there.  I'd especially like to find DEGAS-style driver(s)
for it.  I've set up a simple print program to allow printing in the
available fonts and orientations.
Thanks,
Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jul 87 15:23:15 GMT
From: trwrb!sansom@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Richard Sansom)
Subject: What's the latest version of the Sac?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

About 2 weeks ago I ordered the Magic Sac from Computer Games + in Orange,
CA.  The fellow who took my order assured me that he had the latest version
of the Sac, and that his price ($99!)  included the Mac 64K ROMs!  Needless
to say, I placed my order and waited for the package to arrive the next day
via UPS (I live in Torrance - about an hour away from Orange).  Well, to
make a long story short, the Sac didn't arrive until yesterday (at least a
week late), it didn't have the Mac ROMs, and it appears to be version 2.0!
If I'm not mistaken, the latest version should be somewhere around 4.2x by
now.

Can anyone out there tell me what the latest version should be?  Also, does
anyone know of a place in the L.A.  area where I can get some Mac ROMs?

Thanks a bundle in advance.

-Rich
--
   /////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
  /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 13:13:39 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!@@seismo.css.gov  (Andreas Toenne)
Subject: Re: SMALLTALK on Atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 writes:
>>Does anyone know if a SMALLTALK implementation for
>>Atari-ST computers exists?
>
>Try addressing GEROG@UNIDO (both Bitnet and UUCP). As I gathered
Beware !
His correct name is georg !
You may write to hmm@unido.uucp as well.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 11:03:00 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!qtecmuc!ger@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: Control-F1, Alt-F1 ??? - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Another way to get into protected memory is the use of the Super() function.
Goes sumpn like this:

long savestack;

savestack=Super(0L);
fiddle_around_with_protected_memory();
Super(savestack);

Gerhard Pehland
UUCP: ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 16:11:15 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpa!rwn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Bob Neumann)
Subject: ATARI ST w/hybrid arts smptetrack; Any users out there?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    I am planning the purchase of an ATARI ST 1040 with
    monochrome monitor. I plan to use the hybrid arts
    smptetrack sequencing software/hardware for composing, etc.

    Does anyone have expierience with this system, espiecially
    the softaware package? Any pros/cons that I should consider?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

                Bob

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 11:20:00 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!qtecmuc!ger@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Indeed, you don't need sizeof(STRUCTURE) to increment the pointer
to the next or any other structure.
Just saying:

next+=n;

sets the pointer to the n'th next structure.
This is because every pointer+integer operation always adds
integer*sizeof(pointer object) to the pointer, so you don't have to care
for the size of the object. This goes for pointer++ as well as for
foo=pointer+5.

next=this+sizeof(STRUCTURE)
will set the pointer sizeof(STRUCTURE) structures further, probably
to neverland.
I doubt, if this was your intention.

Gerhard Pehland
UUCP: ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

Date:         Sat 11 Jul 87 15:22:41 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #271
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, July 11, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 271

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        Re: SMALLTALK on Atari
                        Re: SMALLTALK on Atari
                        Bug in Alcyon C v4.14
                Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (not a bug)
                         RE: Smalltalk on ST
                        Degas picture formats
                         Re: BIOS re-entrancy
         Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (not a bug) (yes, a bug!)
                           PLEASE HELP!!!!
                              Re: Wanted
            Computer Aided Voicing (Product Announcement)
                             GEMBOOT v.10
         Re: DX7-II, ST, MusiLisp, Crumar Spirit, INFO PLEASE

Date: 4 Jul 87 10:42:33 GMT
From: mcvax!botter!ark!kleef@seismo.css.gov  (Patrick van Kleef)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 writes:

>Does anyone know if a SMALLTALK implementation for

The address should read GEORG@UNIDO (instead of GEROG@UNIDO)

Ooops,

Paul

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jul 87 10:40:54 GMT
From: mcvax!botter!ark!kleef@seismo.css.gov  (Patrick van Kleef)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 writes:

>Does anyone know if a SMALLTALK implementation for
>Atari-ST computers exists?
>
>----------------
>Rob van den Berg.            mcvax!philtis!rob
>Philips/Corp. CAD-Centre        tel:+31 40 726682
>HKJ-1833                    +31 40 816707 (Home)
>Eindhoven, the Netherlands.

Try addressing GEROG@UNIDO (both Bitnet and UUCP). As I gathered
from earlier information and demonstration (!) he's one of the
guys that has done the port. I know for a fact that it
DOES exist, but I've never seen the stuff on sale.

As far as I know it's a commercial project.

Happy hunting

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jul 87 14:15:20 GMT
From: sandra@cs.utah.edu  (Sandra J Loosemore)
Subject: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've just run across a rather annoying bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (the developer's
kit C):  it has a hard time with adding a word-sized integer constant to
a pointer variable.  My code originally looked something like

    STRUCTURE *this, *next;
    next = this + sizeof(STRUCTURE);  /* sizeof(STRUCTURE) = 8192 */

and it was generating code like:

    add.l #$80000000,R0

No difference whether I used "sizeof" or hardwired in the constant directly,
same bad results.  I eventually got around the problem by doing

    next = this; next++;

In another place, I was doing something similar:

    STRUCTURE *this, *next;
    int n;
    next = this + n*sizeof(STRUCTURE);

and instead of generating a multiply it generated a CLR.L instruction!

-Sandra Loosemore
sandra@cs.utah.edu, sandra@utah-cs.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jul 87 19:11:35 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!jsgray@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (not a bug)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4713@utah-cs.UUCP> sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) writes:
>I've just run across a rather annoying bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (the developer's
>kit C):  it has a hard time with adding a word-sized integer constant to
>a pointer variable.  My code originally looked something like
>
>    STRUCTURE *this, *next;
>    next = this + sizeof(STRUCTURE);  /* sizeof(STRUCTURE) = 8192 */
>
>and it was generating code like:
>
>    add.l #$80000000,R0

If you wanted 'next' to point to the next structure past 'this', you should
have used 'next = this + 1'.  'next = this + 8192' advances next to the
structure 8191 structures past 'this'.

[K&R C Ref 7.4:] "The result of the + operator is the sum of the operands.
A pointer to an object in an array and a value of any integral type
may be added.  The latter is in all cases converted to an address offset
by multiplying it by the length of the object to which the pointer points."

Jan Gray

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 87 02:17:00 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!utcsri!utegc!utai!jpierre@seismo.css.gov
Subject: RE: Smalltalk on ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I asked a couple of weeks ago whether or not Smalltalk was available for
the ST. It turns out that some people at a university in Germany have
ported Smalltalk 80 to a 4meg ST. BUT... the software is not ready for
release and will probably be expensive. Alternatives at this time include
trying to run Smalltalk 80 on the Magic Sac and Smalltalk/V on the vaporous
IBM emulator. I haven't tried it yet...

Finally, Smalltalk/V seems to be the choice of many with IBM ATs but I
don't expect Digitalk to bother implementing for the st when the more
attractive market of Suns and Mac2s is completly open to them (to the best
of my knowledge).

~r signe
Jean-Pierre Corriveau
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Toronto, Toronto
CANADA M5S 1A4

USENET:    {utzoo,floyd,linus,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utai!jpierre
ARPA:    jpierre%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
BELL:     416-978-8725
CSNet:  jpierre@ai.toronto.edu
EAN:    jpierre@ai.toronto.cdn
UUCP:   jpierre@utai.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 19:06:42 GMT
From: pt!andrew.cmu.edu!df1b+@cs.rochester.edu  (David R. Fulmer)
Subject: Degas picture formats
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

One more question about the DEGAS format for picture files:

I understand that the color codes are 9 bits.  How are these arranged into
the 32 bytes of palette info?  I am assuming that they are grouped into
2 bytes for each palette register.  Is this correct?

                        Dave

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 87 22:20:15 GMT
From: iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu  (John Iarocci)
Subject: Re: BIOS re-entrancy
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <767@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Alan Pratt) says:

> I'm writing a multi-tasking kernel, and trying to find
> a safe way ...
>
> | Bill Dorsey          'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'

>>You sure are imagining...  There are no safe ways to do *anything* with
>>the current GEMDOS in terms of a multi-tasking kernel.  If you want it,
>>buy Beckmeyer or write your own OS.  It can be done (we're considering
>>it) but it ain't easy, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to force this on the current
>>GEMDOS.  How did Beckmeyer do it?  He wrote his own OS.  Sorry, kids.
>>
>>/----------------------------------------------\
>>| Opinions expressed above do not necessarily  |  -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>>| reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else. |     ...lll-lcc!atari!apratt
>>\----------------------------------------------/    (APRATT on GEnie)

Maybe I was really imagining when I bought my ST and expected to be able to
get technical support on occasion!  The last thing I expected was a statement
that what I want to do is impossible when it has already been done (micro-
RTX).  Of course, the, "Sorry kids," reference didn't help my self-esteem any
either.

By the way, Allan, I believe Mr. Beckemeyer did not re-write the BIOS,
XBIOS, and GEMDOS routines in his Micro-RTX package.  I am told he uses the
existing OS functions, simply not allowing a context switch while the processor
is in these OS functions.  Therefore, there would appear to be no need to
re-write the entire OS.  Thanks again for the informative tips.

| Bill Dorsey          'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'        |
|                                            - Albert Einstein                |
|     'He who has imagination without learning has wings and no feet.'        |
|                                            - Joubert                        |
| ARPA : iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu                                              |
| UUCP : [seismo,allegra,rlgvax]!umcp-cs!eneevax!iarocci                      |

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 87 23:13:00 GMT
From: sandra@cs.utah.edu  (Sandra J Loosemore)
Subject: Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (not a bug) (yes, a bug!)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

As a number of people have pointed out to me, there is a bug in my
understanding of how pointer arithmetic is supposed to work -- the
only example I could find in K&R which showed adding an integer to
a pointer used a char pointer, so I had assumed it was always treated as
a byte offset.  However, THERE IS STILL A BUG IN ALCYON C!!!!  Or does
the C standard say that 2**13 * 2**13 = 2**27, too???  And there is
still that second problem I mentioned, where it was generating a CLR
instead of a multiply....

Date:         Sun, 05 Jul 87 23:37:12 EDT
From: John Turnbull <051332%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
To: Info-Atari16 <info-atari16@score.stanford.edu>

This is a repost of a note that bounced three days ago, sorry to those
that have seen it.

UOTTAWA (Amdahl 470 V8 running VM/SP Release 4) just got a copy of
CMS Kermit Release 3.1, which among other things, will support
the Long Packet Protocal (type 0 extended headers for up to 1 KB
packets).  Now:  Is there a (PD hopefully) Kermit for the ST that
can eat 1 KB packets (Simon ... )?

Failing that ... is there a PD XMODEM or YMODEM that will run under
VM/CMS?  If so would somebody please send me a copy, or post it to
PROG-A16@CANADA01.

On the subject of mainframe goodies, are there versions of UUDECODE
and ARC that can be run under VM/CMS?  Where would I get them?

Thanks in advance for the help.  /JT

John Turnbull,          NetNorth: 051332@uottawa
30 Somerset Ave,        BITNET:   051332@uottawa
Dept. of Biology,       ARPAnet:  051332%uottawa.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Univ. of Ottawa,        UUCP:     ...!psuvax1!051332%uottawa.BITNET
Ottawa,  Ontario,       JANET:    051332%uottawa@rl.earn
CANADA,  K1N 6N5.       ICBM:     45 25' 33'' N  75 39' 05'' W

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 02:16:45 GMT
From: uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!pirc2499@unix.macc.wisc.edu  (James Franc Pirc
Subject: PLEASE HELP!!!!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Could someone please send me a UUDECODEr for the Atari ST's?

Please?

Thanks in advance.....

       James Pirc
net:  pirc2499@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
GEnie:JIM.PIRC

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 87 16:38:36 GMT
From: ssc-vax!uvicctr!collinge@beaver.cs.washington.edu  (Doug Collinge)
Subject: Re: Wanted
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <775@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>... sent off my order for omniscience.
>Imagine my surprise when the package arrived and contained ubiquity instead!

I'm amazed and grateful that you can maintain your sense of humour at this
level considering all the abuse you and your company have been subjected to
recently.  Thanks.

--
        Doug Collinge
        School of Music, University of Victoria,

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 20:53:34 GMT
From: ihnp4!alberta!sask!brecht@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Tim Brecht)
Subject: Computer Aided Voicing (Product Announcement)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    Product Announcement                                 July 2, 1987

                                 DXMATE

    Synchro-Systems presents DXMATE,  an  integrated  Computer  Aided
    Voicing  System  for  the  Atari  ST (TM).  The system includes a
    Voice Editor, Voice Generator,  Sequencer,  Voice  Librarian  and
    Bank Librarian.

    DXMATE  eases  the   complexity   of   programming   digital   FM
    synthesizers  by  displaying  all  parameters  of  a voice on the
    high-resolution Atari screen at one time.  It  provides  powerful
    functionality  at  the press of a mouse button by making full use
    of the Atari ST's GEM (TM)  features  such  as  drop-down  menus,
    windows, forms, slider bars and dialogue boxes.

    Currently available for use with  Yamaha  DX21,  DX27  and  DX100
    synthesizers and Atari 1040 or 520 ST with monochrome display.

                             DXMATE Features

    Voice Editing

    o  Full utilization of mouse, drop-down  menus,  windows,  forms,
       slider boxes and dialogue boxes.
    o  Window  based  system  in  which  all  voice  parameters   are
       displayed  graphically  in  one window and function parameters
       are displayed in another.
    o  Parameters can be changed with the click of  a  mouse  button,
       using the slider bar, up or down arrow/page on each window, or
       with simple key-strokes.
    o  Graphical display of all envelopes which can be easily changed
       by simply dragging specified points on the envelope.
    o  Visual display of the current algorithm.
    o  The voice  being  edited  can  be  played  from  the  computer
       keyboard.   Options  are  provided to change note velocity and
       duration.
    o  Extensive help facilities not only provide help in the use  of
       DXMATE  but  provide  information  regarding  all  synthesizer
       parameters and how they affect the resulting sound.
    o  Multiple level undo feature.
    o  The ability to compare edited voice with the original.

    Sequencer

    o  Allows recording of up to 1500 midi events for  easy  playback
       while editing voices.
    o  Store sequences to disk for later use.
    o  Load sequences from disk for playback.

    Librarian

    o  Save individual voices to disk.
    o  Save entire bank of synthesizer voices to disk.
    o  Load individual voices from disk to the synthesizer.
    o  Load an entire bank of voices from disk to the synthesizer.

    Voice Generator

    o  Generates  creative  new  voices  by  simply   selecting   the
       appropriate menu.
    o  Uses heuristic methods to generate useful new voices.
    o  Parameters are immediately displayed  for  easy  adjusting  if
       desired.

    $133.65 (Canadian) + $5.00 (Canadian) shipping and handling.
    Saskatchewan residents add 7% sales tax.
    [$133.65 (Canadian) = approximately $99.00 (U.S.)].

    Certified cheques, money orders or VISA orders only.  VISA orders
    please  include: Card Number, exact name on card, expiry date and
    affiliated bank name.

    For more information contact:

    Synchro-Systems         or      Tim Brecht
    P.O. Box 3093                   brecht@skorpio.UUCP
    Saskatoon, Sask.                {ihnp4,utcsri,alberta}!sask!skorpio!brecht
    S7K 3S9   CANADA.               (306) 477-2675  - (evenings)

    Atari and ST are trademarks of Atari Corporation.
    GEM is a trademark of Digital Research Inc.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 13:14:10 GMT
From: ihnp4!homxb!houxm!houxj!wkk@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (W.KAPLOW)
Subject: GEMBOOT v.10
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I just uudecoded GEMBOOT v.10.  For all of you that unarced it and got
CRC failed errors, just edit the file and change all the "tilde"
characters into "hat" characters.  This was the only change I had to make
to fix the archive.

Wesley Kaplow
AT&T-ISL
Holmdel, N.J. 07733
(201)949-0065

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 13:12:38 GMT
From: ihnp4!homxb!houxm!homxc!pjb@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (#P.BURYK)
Subject: Re: DX7-II, ST, MusiLisp, Crumar Spirit, INFO PLEASE
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Kay -
    Things might have changed a little in the past few months but...
    I know of only -2- packages (patch librarians) that run on the
    DX-7II:
        "DX-PRO" - Digital Music Services
               23010 Lake Forrest Drive
               Suite D334
               Laguna Hills, Ca. (USA) 92653
               (714) 951-1159

            -and-

        another package by either OpCode or Hybrid Arts
        (sorry, I can't remember which right now)

    DX-PRO, if purchased "today" should work for either the DX-7 or
    the DX-7II, allowing both up-loading (to the APPLE II only) and
    down-loading (to the DX). If you have an older release of DX-PRO
    you probably won't be able to use it (I couldn't) as one of the
    first things it does is ask (via MIDI transfer) who it is talking
    to. Expecting to hear "Oh, I'm a DX-7" it barfs when told "Oh, I'm
    a DX-7II (FD)". Anyway, DMS will -gladly- send you an update upon
    receiving your DX-PRO system disk and docs binder (as "proof-of-
    purchase"). Problem resolved.

    I've had luck using a few other patch librarians (down-loading to
    the DX-7II only though)...

        Isepic "Data-7" seems work ok.

        Passport DX-7 patch librarian... NG (Re: "who are you?")

        Dr. T ... ok

    As far as other info and tutorials go... "The Complete DX-7" by
    Howard Massey gets my vote too. AND... there is a mag out this
    month (July issue)... can't remember but it might be the new
    KMS, KCS or whatever it's called these days... ANYway.. there's
    an article by Howard Massey in there specifically about the
    "compatibility" issues between the DX-7 and DX-7II. (There is
    also a review of the Roland D-50 and a number of other good
    stuff too!)

    Ok.... too much typing!

    Pat

Forward e-mail, US-snail, or real-time blasting to:

    Patrick J. Buryk
    ...ihnp4!homxc!pjb

    AT&T-BTL, Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel N.J., 07733 (Rm 3L-414)
    (201) 949-8129

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

Date:         Sat 11 Jul 87 23:14:37 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #272
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, July 11, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 272

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                     Query on Magic Sac status...
       MODULARS232 (long) - easy serial communications cabling
                             IBM emulator
          Re: NL-10 Printer loses characters at End-of-Page
          Re: Computer Aided Voicing (Product Announcement)
                        Supra 20Meg HD Quirks
                  Re: Disk R/W times for large files

Posted-From: The MITRE Corp., Bedford, MA
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Query on Magic Sac status...
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 87 14:49:43 EDT
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

A friend of mine is very interested in the possibility of buying an Atari ST
and Magic Sac as an alternative to buying a Mac.  Can anybody give me a
current status report on:

    (a) Software that will and will not run with Magic Sac;
and
    (b) Estimated price and availability date for the rumored
        Data Pacific Macintosh-compatible floppy drive for the ST?

Is there any other source for an ST drive that can read/write Mac disks?

Any other information on advantages or disadvantages of an ST with Magic Sac
would be appreciated.

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 18:33:22 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: MODULARS232 (long) - easy serial communications cabling
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[This is not specific to comp.sys.atari.st.
 If you know the most appropriate group please tell me.]

My friend Richard Furnas has devised a wonderful solution to the
age-old DCE/DTE dichotomy.  Devices set up to fit his standard are all
the same, and any two can talk to each other with the same cable.  And
his method uses compact, positive-locking but easy to (dis)connect,
inexpensive, widely available connectors and cables.  I am posting this
for him since he has no access to Usenet.

Handy Dandy Serial Connections with Modular Connectors
By Richard Furnas

For some time now I have been evolving a system for connecting RS232
serial devices using modular connectors.  The arrangement I am
reporting here is the result of much thought and experimentation.  I
have been delighted with the elegance of the modular connectors ever
since they appeared and hope this adaptation of them does justice to
the elegance of the design of the connectors themselves.

Rationale for the setup:
========================

When I first looked closely at modular connectors and the way that
telephone extension cords are wired, I thought it was all very sad.
While the connectors are polarized (can only plug in one way), the
usual extension cord flips things over seemingly ignoring the
polarization in the plugs!  I knew the phone people spoke of RING and
TIP but from my experience with playing with installing my own phone
lines in my house, it never seemed to matter which way things were
hooked up, they always worked anyway (Diodes no doubt).

It wasn't until I started to think about the RS232 application
that I realized the simple elegance of the modular adapters and plugs:
All devices are the same, and the cables do the swapping so RING and
TIP retain their identity.  While the RED and GREEN lines in the
building may remain true to which is which (they are installed by
professionals who know their colors and maybe even carry voltmeters),
the cables are 'smart' enough not to care.

The minimal Serial connection requires 3 wires, Ground, data in and
data out of each device.  This is a symmetric situation:
         ______              ______
        |      |====Data===>|      |
        |device|===Ground===|device|
        |      |<===Data====|      |
         ------              ------
At first I knew that 95% of the direct connections I wanted to make
would be 3-wire connections and so wanted to set things up to be able
to use ordinary phone cabling.  But which lines to use and how?  I took
a tip (TIP?) from the phone setup:

    Make all devices the same and let the cables do the thinking.

If we are to use telephone-style connectors, it is important to protect
the computer devices from the higher voltage of the phone line in case
the cable is plugged into a phone outlet by mistake.  Most simple
telephone lines have 4 wires and only the center two have the higher
voltage of the phone line.  The outer two are either totally unused or
have a lower voltage for lighting your princess phone.  Therefore I
short the center two lines together and use them for the signal ground.
This solves two problems.  If the connector gets plugged into the
typical phone outlet, it merely "takes the phone off the hook" and does
no damage to the computer device.  It also makes the cable symmetrical.
The outer two lines can be used for the data lines.  If two devices are
configured identically at their respective connectors, an ordinary
telephone-to-wall cable will serve as the 'null modem' cable for a
three wire connection between the devices.

But there is more to serial data transfer than just three wire
connections.  Many serial printers prefer a hardware handshake.  This
requires another wire and hardware handshake can naturally be
symmetrical as well.  Talking to a printer is usually a one-way affair
but two computers may want to talk that way on occasion as well.  (Ever
want to capture EXACTLY the output intended for a printer and put it in
a file?)

The standard modular line cord (NOT handset cord) uses a 6-position
connector with only the middle four of the positions actually occupied
by wires.  This is called "6-4".  "6-6" versions of the connectors
along with the 6-conductor cable are harder to come by but can be had
from several of the parts vendors that advertise in the back of BYTE or
Computer Shopper.  This extra pair of wires preserves the symmetry of
the connection and means that once again the business of swapping lines
can be done by a uniform, standard cable.  The 6-6 setup may not
provide adequate handshaking for use with some modems and modem
programs since they actually use the additional handshake lines to
determine the progress of the call.

MODULARS232 Specifications
==========================

Imagine (if necessary) that you are sitting at a desk, and you have a
standard modular desk telephone on the desk.  Rotate it 180 degrees so
that you see the connector on its back.  Unplug the cable.  Look into
the socket.  It will most likely have the wires on the top and the
notch for the locking clip on the bottom.  (If it doesn't, turn it
upside down.) Now imagine that this phone is actually a computer (or
printer or graphics tablet or...).  If it conforms to the "MODULARS232"
standard, the wires, as you're looking at them, are wired as
follows (the mnemonics are introduced here):

      A T G G R Q
    __+_+_+_+_+_+__     <A>  (Acknowledge) handshake signal coming out
   |  | | | | | |  |    <T>  (Transmit) data coming out of this box
   |               |    <G>  Ground
   |               |    <G>  Ground
   |               |    <R>  (Receive) data going into this box
   |               |    <Q>  (Query) handshake signal going into this box
    -----     -----
         |   |          (looking into the socket from outside the box)
          ---

If, when this socket is vacant, you can measure live voltage (12V)
between the ground wires and the R or Q wires then you got it reversed:
"coming out" means the box applying voltage to the outside world,
"going in" means sensing the voltage that is arriving.

For the time being we have to live with existing equipment, so the
MODULARS232 set-up has to be achieved by making "adaptors".  I have set
up this system for communications between arbitrary pairs of the
following devices, using the pin assignments given below.  The lists are
the numbers of the pins (in the conventional connectors mentioned) that
should be wired to the A,T,G,G,R,Q wires respectively inside a modular
socket to make the correct adaptor.

Basically DTE Devices:
======================

IBM PC-XT Clones (DB25P Connector on Chassis)
20,2,7,7,3,5; Jumper: 4-6-8 on DB25S (Note 1)

IBM PC-AT Clones (DB9P Connector on Chassis)
4,3,5,5,2,8;  Jumper: 1-6-7 on DB9S (Note 1)

TRS-Model 102 (DB25S Connector on Chassis)
20,2,7,7,3,5; Jumper: 4-6-8 on DB25P (Note 1)

HP-IL to Serial Convertor (DTE Setting, DB25P on Chassis)
20,2,7,7,3,5; Jumper: 4-6-8 on DB25S (Note 1)

HP Thinkjet (TM) serial printer (DB25S on Chassis)
HP 7475 (TM) Serial Plotter (DB25S on Chasis)
20,2,7,7,3,5; Jumper: 4-6-8 on DB25P (Note 1)

Basically DCE Devices:
======================

Prometheus Promodem (TM) 1200 (to Eagle w/ MITE and to MAC)
8,3,7,7,2,20 (Notes 2,3)

Intectra Serial to Parallel Converter
5,3,7,7,2,20

DTE or DCE?  Who cares, here's the connection:

Eagle (TM) II CP/M Computer
4,3,7,7,2,5;  (Note 2)

Macintosh with DB9 Socket
Mac+ with mini8 to DB9 Socket converter
Imagewriter II with mini8 to DB9 Socket converter
6,5,3-8,3-8,9,7;  (Note 2)

Note 1:
=======
     For many applications it is not necessary to jumper pins 4-6-8.
Especially in direct connect applications which are using software
handshaking, the driver software often will ignore the status of the
hardware handshake pins anyway.

Note 2:
=======
     Some devices (notably some computers) do not support proper
hardware handshake on data input.  (Note this is the 'A' line on which
the computer could output a signal saying it is full for the moment.)
The Eagle II and Macintosh fall in this category.  The connections
above are compatible with driving printers and all 'three wire'
connections and even allow the same connectors to be used to the
Prometheus modem.  (The MAC just has the +12V line connected signalling
the MAC is as ready as it will ever be.)

Note 3:
=======
     The best way to drive an honest to gosh modem if you have a
device which supports the modem handshake lines properly (e.g. a PC
clone), is with a cable with more wires in it than this modular setup.

Practical hints
===============

     In practice what I have done is wire a cable for each of my
desktop machines which has the DB-whatever connector on one end and a
modular PLUG on the other.  (If I need to connect something I'm going
to need some length of cable as well so might as well build it into
the adaptor.)  Then I just need a double female modular connector to
establish the connection.  On highly portable devices, I have the DB-
whatever and a modular socket.  Actually I have cut holes in them and
installed the socket in the chassis without any jumpering (so the port
can still be fully functional).  The modular plug on any of the
desktop machines now goes to the socket I have built in my Model 102
for example.

    To summarize pictorially looking into the socket:

       _Handshake_ ... Hardware handshake support with 6-6
       | _DATA__ | ... 3-wire connection with ordinary 6-4
       | | GND | | ... take phone off hook-won't fry device
       | | | | | |
       A T G-G R Q ... Our new mnemonics
       R T G-G R C }
       T X N-N X T } ... RS232 (DTE) Signal names (sort of)
       S D D-D D S }
       | | | | | |
       out     in ... this side accepts input signals
       out     in ... the other side puts out signals
       | |     ^ ^
       v v     | |
           ___
            -

    Just a reminder:

          /_    Standard flat cable      _\
         d__=============/ /=============__b

    And for troubleshooting, if your connection does
    not work, you will find this cable useful:

          /_    Inverting cable
         d__=====================---p
                                 --/

I have a 3 inch cable like this I use for troubleshooting (with a
double-female on one end).  With a 3-wire (6-4 modular) connection this
will serve to swap the data transmit and receive lines just in case you
got them backwards.  Recommendation: If that solves the problem, FIX
YOUR CONNECTORS.  Otherwise you'll be haunted by the incompatible setup
until you do.  I suggest using crimp pin DBxxx connectors so that the
pins can be easily moved if you get something backwards.

     Richard E. Furnas
     Microcomputer Power
     111 Clover Lane
     Ithaca, NY  14850
     (607) 272-2188
     CompuServe ID 76556,3444

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 16:23:00 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!hhb!rob@decwrl.dec.com  (Robert R Stegmann)
Subject: IBM emulator
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

Hi all,

I just read in the August issue of Compute! magazine about an IBM PC
emulator (in software) for the ST.  It is called "pc-ditto" from
Avant-Garde Systems, 381 Pablo Point Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32225.
(The brief article is on page 118, in the News & Products column.)

The article says the program costs $89.95, isn't copy protected, supports
3.5"/80-track or 5.25"/40-track formats, monochrome or color, and runs (quote)
"virtually all of the major IBM programs, such as Lotus 1-2-3, Multiplan,
Symphony, Flight Simulator, Dollars&Sense, Sidekick, DAC Easy Accounting,
Turbo Pascal, and many others."

Can anybody out there who has any experience with this product or company
comment?  Does this emulator run at speed, or is it slow?
Is it real or vapor-ware?

It sounds interesting enough to buy, but life can be full of little
disappointments, can't it?

I called Florida information and got a phone number for Avant-Garde,
which turned out to connect me with some company that refuels Navy jets!
I explained to the man who answered the phone that I was trying to reach
a software company to ask about their product, but instead of simply
telling me he didn't know what I was talking about, he gave me another
number!  I tried THAT number several times, but it was always busy,
so I haven't been able to contact Avant-Garde.
I suspect they may be employees of the refilling company who are
moonlighting.

P.S. What about the "MS.EM" package from Paradox?
I heard it was poorly done.  Does anybody know if it has been improved?

[Please note that I am in no way affiliated with any of the above-mentioned
organizations, neither do I endorse any of the above-mentioned products.]

rob

Robert Stegmann
{allegra,ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!hhb!rob
I in no way represent my employer in this matter.

------------------------------

From: David Maden <maden%rzsin.sin.chunet@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: Digest <Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: NL-10 Printer loses characters at End-of-Page
Return-Receipt-To: David Maden <maden@rzsin.sin.chunet>

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote ...

> I have a Star NL-10 printer connected to my 1040STf via the printer port. The
> plug-in unit on the Star-10 is a so-called Parallel Interface-Steckmodul. My
> problem is that, when I manually feed in single sheets of paper to the printe
> to get a print-out of a file from the desk-top (i.e. double-click the file an
> then select the "print file" option), I lose characters (the number that get
> lost appears random but is usually about 16) when changing sheets of paper.
> Etc ....

Thanks to help from Holger Brieger in Berlin, I have been able to fix the
fault. The problem is the Version of the EPROM in the NL10 Plug-in Cartridge.
You can see the version number by invoking the printer's self-test feature.
Mine was P1.4 and is now P1.5 and works much better. On changing sheets of
paper, though, I now have to press the on-line button as well which was not the
case before (but I guess this could be a feature rather than a bug since you
then have a chance to check that the paper is straight!!).

Since I have seen this same fault on many printers in the shops in this part
of Switzerland, there may be other Atari users out there in need of the same
upgrade.

<maden@rzsin.sin.chunet>                David Maden,
maden@czheth5a.bitnet                   Swiss Institute for Nuclear Research,
                                        CH-5234 Villigen

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jul 87 06:39:00 GMT
From: well!csz@lll-lcc.arpa  (Carter Scholz)
Subject: Re: Computer Aided Voicing (Product Announcement)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> Date: 2 Jul 87 20:53:34 GMT
>    Product Announcement                                 July 2, 1987
>    Synchro-Systems presents DXMATE,  an  integrated  Computer  Aided

I thought Usenet policy forbade for-profit commercial
announcements here.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 87 08:21:26 EDT
From: csrobe@icase.arpa (Charles S. Roberson)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Supra 20Meg HD Quirks

I have had a Supra Hard Disk for about 4 months (90 day warranty,
of course) and it is starting to make some unusual sounds, and do
some disquieting things.  The first thing I noticed was that it
occassionally 'burped' during the power on sequence.  Normally, I
would hear a cresendo whir followed by two beeps.  Then I noticed
an occassional:
    whirrrrrrrr    beep BURP beep beep
but everything worked fine.  Then the big-time hit, the machine
had been on for several hours (4 or 5) and was quite toasty.  I
had micro-emacs load a file, the disk started to spin up for a
read and it never stopped!  It got faster and faster.  I had to
turn the drive off to stop it.  By this time my heart was pounding
and I was sweating bullets.  Well, it started again, it burped
again, and everything seemed ok for about 4 mins then it took off
again.  I let the machine sit idle for a couple of days while I
moved.  Then I hooked it up again, and it whirred, beeped, BURPED,
and beeped some more.  EVERY TIME I started it.

    In comes SUPRA!  I called their tech support line and
the guy I talked to said that a loose power cord could cause the
whir-up problem and that the BURP didn't mean anything as far as
diagnostics go.  I was skeptical but what could I do?  I tested
the power cord, started the machine, and started to work.  My
disk is partitioned into 4 5meg logical disks, with the fifth one
a Scratch disk.  I decided to run the Supra Hard Disk Utility to
"Map out bad sectors" on that logical disk (5).  At about 2400 of
the 10100 and some sectors the disk did its magical whirr.  I
reached to check the power cord again, but before my had was half
way there the disk drive reset itself and started the power up
sequence.  (Whirrrrrrrr, beep, BURP, beep beep).  The utility
said I had a bad sector, GEMDOS said I that the data on the drive
may be damaged, and that the drive needed to be connected
correctly.  I replied to cancel the operation, the GEM diaglog box
disappeared but the utility started mapping at the next sector.
The mapping completed without another hitch.

    I am worried and scared to use my machine.  I have almost
$600 invested in that disk.  A *MAJOR* investment on my part, and
I don't like the idea of it flaking out after only 4 months!  In
about a month and a half I am going to start doing research for
my Master's Thesis and I can't afford to have my machine freak
and my data flung into the bit-bucket.  I am also not so pleased
with SUPRA's response to my inquries, nor with their documentation.
So i leave you with this general plea:

 #    #  ######  #       #####    #
 #    #  #       #       #    #   #
 ######  #####   #       #    #   #
 #    #  #       #       #####    #
 #    #  #       #       #
 #    #  ######  ######  #        #

Chip Roberson

csrobe@icase.arpa        (ARPANET)
$csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet        (BITNET)
...seismo!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe    (UUCP)

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jul 87 00:08:43 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
Subject: Re: Disk R/W times for large files
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <383@uop.UUCP>, exodus@uop.UUCP (Greg Onufer) says:

> Anybody care to explain what's wrong here?
>
> I used GULAM's timing function to time misc. file copies onto several
> formats of disk.  The tables should explain:

Big files will copy fast only if big reads and writes are used. If
your copy program reads one sector, writes it to the floppy, then
reads another sector, you'll lose.  The shell we shipped with the
developer's kit a while ago, called COMMAND.PRG, used a 1000 (not 1K)
byte buffer.  This is a real problem.  Big reads are optimized
to read a whole track at a time (for instance).  When this is
the case, sector skewing will LOSE, because it takes multiple
revolutions to read the whole track.

For operations like file copy, the lesson is to use as big a buffer
as you can.  Don't create a static 8192-byte array: instead,
determine how much memory you have available and use all of it.

Here is a little code in Alcyon C (this depends on the variable
_break, set up by gemstart and changed when you use gemlib's malloc).
It returns the number of bytes available starting at _break, and that
stays valid as long as you do no function calls (especially not
to gemlib's malloc()).

long freemem()
{
    extern long _break;
    long dummy;        /* &dummy is something near the current sp */

    return (&ret - _break - 512);    /* 512 is a chicken factor */
}

If you have used Mshrink to return memory to the operating system
(which is the case if you set the STACK variable in gemstart.s
to 0, 1, 2, or 3), you may have more memory than this available
using Malloc (the OS call).  Malloc(-1L) returns the largest Malloc
request which can be satisfied.  If you Malloc this, use it as a
disk buffer, then Mfree it, you will not run into trouble.

/----------------------------------------------\
| Opinions expressed above do not necessarily  |  -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
| reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else. |     ...lll-lcc!atari!apratt
\----------------------------------------------/    (APRATT on GEnie)

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/15/87)

554 <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name : sampo

Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, July 13, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 274

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         Re: Smalltalk on ST
                       Hidden and System Files
                        Re: Lost disk sectors
              Re: What's the latest version of the Sac?
                     Aegis Animator and GDOS.PRG
                      Re: Supra 20Meg HD Quirks
                  Re: Disk R/W times for large files
         Re: Bug in Alcyon C v4.14 (not a bug) (yes, a bug!)
                           HOTSHOT CHeckers
                                 UW?
                   Re: Query on Magic Sac status...
                     Formatting options question
                       Gemboot and MWC 2.0 :-(
        SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?

Date: 7 Jul 87 10:06:19 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!hmm@seismo.css.gov  (Martin Mosner)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

(this has been in comp.sys.atari.st, but I think it's of interest for
 comp.lang.smalltalk readers, too)

In article <3987@utai.UUCP> jpierre@utai.UUCP writes:

>I asked a couple of weeks ago whether or not Smalltalk was available for
>the ST. It turns out that some people at a university in Germany have
>ported Smalltalk 80 to a 4meg ST. BUT... the software is not ready for
>release and will probably be expensive. Alternatives at this time include
>trying to run Smalltalk 80 on the Magic Sac and Smalltalk/V on the vaporous
>IBM emulator. I haven't tried it yet...

Basically, that's right.  However...
1. the software will be released in July for Germany.  I will post the prices
   as soon as I know them.
2. As far as I know, Apple Smalltalk does not run on the Sac.  Even if it
   does, it's a rather old version of the image and known to be quite slow.
   I don't know if the ParcPlace Systems version for the Mac will run on
   the Sac, but it will be comparable to the Atari version in terms of
   speed and price, so what ?
3. Iff you have that vaporous IBM emulator, feel free to run Smalltalk/V
   on it...  But I don't believe that this emulator will be more than an
   8088 with 4.77 MHz clock, and those machines are painfully slow. :-)

>Finally, Smalltalk/V seems to be the choice of many with IBM ATs but I
>don't expect Digitalk to bother implementing for the st when the more
>attractive market of Suns and Mac2s is completly open to them (to the best
>of my knowledge).
From our experience with the Atari port I can say that it's normally quite
easy to move such a program between various 68K machines.  Iff Digitalk
does a 68K implementation at all, it probably will be done for the Atari, too.
After all, the Atari is the machine where the hardware cost matches the
software cost best.

>Jean-Pierre Corriveau
>Dept. of Computer Science
>University of Toronto, Toronto
>CANADA M5S 1A4

As I said, I will keep the net informed about that stuff...

    Hans-Martin Mosner
    hmm@unido.uucp, hmm@unido.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 14:42:41 GMT
From: mcvax!philmds!prle!nvpna1!dorrestn@seismo.css.gov  (Frans Dorrestein )
Subject: Hidden and System Files
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Files on the ST can have the attributes "System" and "Hidden" set. What exactly
imply these attributes, when do you use them and what for? Are there any
packages known which make use of hidden or system files? Does TOS treat system
files in a special way?

Just curious,

Frans Dorrestein

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 15:51:05 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
Subject: Re: Lost disk sectors
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <8707071803.AA02575@yale-eli.arpa>, fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA
(Michael Fischer) says:

 > I wrote a little program to display the FAT (File Allocation Table)
 > on a disk that appeared to be completely full and was surprised
 > to see the last two clusters (= 4 sectors) free.  Looking at the
 > data itself confirmed that they were unused.  Doing a little
 > Has anybody else noticed this before?  Is it a TOS bug?  If so,
 > has it been fixed in the newer ROMs?
 >
 > --Mike Fischer <fischer@yale.arpa>

I've sort of noticed this, in the sense that when a disk is formatted under
MS-DOS it gives more space available (~361,000 bytes) than a TOS disk which
is 'supposedly' formatted in a compatible way.  Now why this is done, I
don't know, but imagine it would be explained in the Abacus book about ST
drives and disks.

Anyone else have a clue?

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 15:56:03 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
Subject: Re: What's the latest version of the Sac?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <2045@trwrb.UUCP>, sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) says:

> Can anyone out there tell me what the latest version should be?  Also, does
> anyone know of a place in the L.A.  area where I can get some Mac ROMs?

> Thanks a bundle in advance.

> -Rich

>    /////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>   /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\
>   \\\ {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!sansom  Redondo Beach, CA                //
>    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

The latest version that I have seen (updates are posted regularly on GEnie)
is 4.35.  To use it one needs the 4.2 distribution disk from Data Pacific,
as only the driver is replaced in the last few updates.

For ROMs outside of L.A., San Jose Computer and B & C Computervisions both
carry the Mac ROMs.  A bit expensive, but if you GOTTA have them...

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 87 20:27:19 EDT
From: Mark L. Starner <starner@sol.PRC.Unisys.COM>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Aegis Animator and GDOS.PRG

Well, i got a copy of GDOS when I bought DEGAS Elite --- and I thought
it would be great to put NEOchrome, DEGAS and Aegis Animator all on the
same disk for graphics programs --- No dice!

NEOchrome and DEGAS work fine w/GDOS loaded , however the Animator
leaves splotches and peice of menus and mouse blocks all over the place.
Am i missing something? Has anyone else seen this? HELP!!! I hate
rebooting just to move between DEGAS and the Animator --- and I will
be upgrading to Hard Disk in the next few days, and I hate to try
to figure out a good way around it then!

Anybody have ANY ideas for me?

Thanks

Mark Starner                (215) 648-7382
Unisys Corporation
Paoli Research Center/Computing Resources
Paoli, PA

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 19:16:04 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: Supra 20Meg HD Quirks
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

My personal impression is that the current day hard disks are
_unreliable_.  As a group.  Now could somebody out there arrange
an Atari ST <--> Micro Bernoulli connection?  (Removable, 5", 20Meg,
flexible, durable cartridges!)  Meanwhile, _please_ do not put any
valuable data on a hard disk.  Use it for work copies of programs that
you already have on floppies.  Put you data on two (or more) floppies
and upload it to some mainframe too...

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 19:06:44 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

Greg didn't say what program copied the files.  I _guess_ it's the Gulam
'cp' command.  I don't know how it does it, but apparently not well.
500K in 36 seconds is about 14 Kbytes/sec.  The theoretical max is 22.5
Kbytes/sec (one track per rev).  My boot disks actually achieve that
when copying into the RAMdisk using 'Autodisk' (and the floppy is 'fast'
formatted).  Autodisk copies with a _huge_ buffer (the whole RAMdisk).
"Twister" formatted disks read about 80% as fast, and standard disks
about half as fast (i.e., twice as slow).

But my experiments (when modifying microEmacs, etc) show that, with typical
text files (<50K), a buffer of 9K (one DS track) yields a performance that
is very close to that of larger buffers.  That is with standard
("slow") formatted disks.  (The performance gradually levels off as you
increase the buffer size through 4.5, 9 and 18K.)

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 16:35:15 GMT
From: kodak!elmgate!jdg@cs.rochester.edu  (Jeff Gortatowsky)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4716@utah-cs.UUCP> sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) writes:
>...... . . . .
>a byte offset.  However, THERE IS STILL A BUG IN ALCYON C!!!!  Or does
>...... . . . .
>-Sandra Loosemore
>sandra@cs.utah.edu, sandra@utah-cs.uucp

Take heart!  Your just beginning to find the bugs! 8^)  As I understand it
there are a few more, though I don't have Alcyon C.  Did Atari give you a
list of known bugs when you got your kit?   BTW.  Everyone has been bit by
the pointer addition in C at least once.....

On a different topic, thanks to all that replied about MWC.  Based on
those messages and some personal research, I ordered it through a local
dealer.  I specified 2.0 or >.  Is there a ">"?  Has anyone compiled a
list of no-no's in MWC?
--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 12:15:23 GMT
From: ihnp4!mhuxu!cbz@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Craig B. Ziemer)
Subject: HOTSHOT CHeckers
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Would someone who has a working copy of the recently posted HOTSHOT
checkers program please mail a copy.  It was munged when it arrived
here.  Thanks.

C.B. Ziemer at AT&T-BL
mhuxu!cbz

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 19:40:00 GMT
From: mtune!codas!novavax!hcx1!brads@RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: UW?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Is anybody {working on, in possession of} a spiffy version of UW?  I have the
one posted awhile back, but it is painfully slow.

                - Brad Staff

USMAIL:    Brad Staff                       Phone:  (305) 973-5339
    Harris Corporation               Usenet:  codas!novavax!hcx1!brads
    Computer Systems Division
    2101 West Cypress Creek Road
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 02:55:24 GMT
From: ravi@mcnc.org  (Ravi Subrahmanyan)
Subject: Re: Query on Magic Sac status...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

>    (a) Software that will and will not run with Magic Sac;

    With the new release of the driver software, the compatibility
problems are rapidly disappearing.  I've found that most Mac PD stuff
works just fine.  Here's a short list of the more popular stuff that I or
some friends use regularly (ie. programs that don't just fire up right, but
work well under extensive usage):

    Versaterm (& Pro), Kermit, Freeterm, Termworks.  Mac240 does
not work.

    MacDraw, MacPaint, MacWrite (it's the shakiest of the lot),
MacBillboard, one of the other '*paint' programs, MacDraft.

    ReadySetGo.  PageMaker supposedly works, but I haven't seen
it. Excel.  Cricket Graph.

    Plus all the usual goodies like Binhex, Packit, the zillion or
so DA's you find around to do everything except give you a backrub..
I've found that for most of the PD or shareware stuff, if something
doesn't work, one can find another DA or whatever that does exactly
the same things, and that works (this is really true).

    In short, anything written "properly" seems to work great.
Things that address hardware directly fail (eg. Mac240 probably goes
to the serial chip), but even there Dave Small seems to have put in
some ingenious hacks.  It's been so good lately that I'm often in Mac
mode for a week or so at a stretch (frankly, the Mac grows on you;
it's everything the ST could have been, and now is - I'm tickled as
hell!)

>    (b) Estimated price and availability date for the rumored
>        Data Pacific Macintosh-compatible floppy drive for the ST?

    Dave said he'd hoped for May, then said he'd been foolish to
say that because he hadn't anticipated some problems.  But he's
actually finished it I think, and it's in the pipeline; certainly
before summer's end.

>Is there any other source for an ST drive that can read/write Mac disks?

    I seriously doubt it.

>Any other information on advantages or disadvantages of an ST with Magic Sac
>would be appreciated.

    Well, it isn't a Mac, so it'll act up and die sometimes, but
I'm very satisfied (especially now, with the newer releases).  Don't
use anything less than rev 4.2 of the driver software (4.32 is out,
but it's beta, so wait for 4.5).  If you have specific needs, like
word processing or picture making etc.  it's great.  I have a small
set of stuff I need it for, it works great for that; most people I
know have found it to work for what they needed.  You could always
check first, but at $150 a shot, it's not bad at all..

                            -ravi

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 06:12:11 GMT
From: atwell@cs.utah.edu  (Bart L. Atwell)
Subject: Formatting options question
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

On trying DCFORMAT(Thanks, Mike), I noticed a lot of options exist for
formatting disks. You can get the most storage using 82 tracks with 10
sectors but there must be a catch.  What is it?  Can you get fast mode
to work with 10 sectors or does fast depend on a 9 sector format?  What
about 82 tracks?  Does FAST work?  Can you damage the drive (are you
using a bad part of the diskette) when addressing 82 tracks?

Thanks,

Bart

------------------------------

Date:           Thu, 09 Jul 87 10:30:41 gmt
To:             INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From:           <FRANK@FRILL51.BITNET>
Subject:        GULAM SHELL

I've just got Gulam from Atarinet at UH-INFO. It seems quite a nice shell
but since I have a german keyboard there are a lot of keys misplaced.
Couldn't it be possible that there exists a new version which uses the
keyboard as it is??? I think a lot of people would be gratefull.

Victor Frank
janet   frank@frill51

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 22:40:34 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!@@seismo.css.gov  (Andreas Toenne)
Subject: Gemboot and MWC 2.0 :-(
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi !

I've run in a problem with MWC 2.0.
When I use GEMBOOT 1.10, the MWC msh doesn't read it's profile.
I think this subject has been discussed some weeks ago.
Could a kind soul mail me the results ??

    Andreas Toenne
    Dept. of CS
    U of Dortmund, W-Germany

    Mail to :

    toenne@unido.uucp or
    at@unido.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jul 87 19:55:24 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle@seismo.css.gov
Subject: SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

What pins have to be connected to what lines, what pins have to be dropped
etc...

Ron
--
Ron Pfeifle                        "What time is it?"
{decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle        "It's the dark ages."

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

Date:         Tue 14 Jul 87 15:11:39 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #276
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Tuesday, July 14, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 276

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                  FCC news release on PDN surcharge
                        Re: Lost disk sectors
                            Motherboards?
                        SIGNUM internal format
                       ST Circuit Analysis Prg

Posted-From: The MITRE Corp., Bedford, MA
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: FCC news release on PDN surcharge
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 87 21:18:51 EDT
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

From: David Roode <ROODE@BIONET-20.ARPA>
----
Following is the FCC access charges news release of June 10, 1987.
(This is not the official text of the Commission's Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking (NPRM).)

 FCC PROPOSES ELIMINATION OF INTERSTATE ACCESS CHARGES EXEMPTION
                FOR ENHANCED SERVICE PROVIDERS

   The Commission has proposed elimination of the exemption from
interstate access charges currently allowed enhanced service
providers, effective January 1, 1988.  Charges for intrastate service
would not be affected.
   Enhanced services add value to, or enhance the use of, basic
transmission service.  Examples of enhanced services, which the
Commission defined in its Computer II and Computer III procedings,
include computer-based applications such as protocol processing,
information retrieval systems and voice or message services.
   In its access charge proceeding, the Commission provided for
exemptions for a number of groups.  These exemptions have gradually
been eliminated.
   In the pre-access environment, enhanced service providers and WATS
resellers were paying local business exchange service rates for their
interstate access, rather than the higher charges that other common
carriers (OCCs) were paying and the even higher amounts assessed to
MTS and WATS through the divisions of revenues and settlements
processes.  The Commission decided that the immediate imposition of
interstate access charges on enhanced service providers and resellers
could affect their ability to provide service during the time they
were adjusting to the new access charge rules.  Consequently, the
Commission granted enhanced service providers, as well as resellers, a
temporary exemption from payment of interstate access charges.
   In proposing to eliminate this exemption, the Commission said it
was concerned that the charges currently paid by enhanced service
providers did not contribute sufficiently to the cost of the exchange
access facilities they use in offering services to the public.
Concerns about rate shock might justify a temporary, but not a
permanent, exemption from access charges.  Enhanced service providers
have had ample notice of the Commission's ultimate intent to apply
interstate access charges and ample opportunity to adjust their
planning accordingly.
   Moreover, it said, the potential financial impact on enhanced
service providers of eliminating their exemption is substantially
smaller than it was at the time the exemption was granted.  In
particular, the Commission noted that the common carrier line charge
has decreased dramatically with the introduction of subscriber line
charges.  END

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 20:46:03 GMT
From: tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!dclemans@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dave Clemans)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

From what I've understood, the two missing sectors in GEMDOS disk partitions ar
a result of a mistake made by whoever at Digital Research implemented GEMDOS.

MS-DOS reserves the first two entries in the FAT, as does GEMDOS.  However,
 MS-DOS
adjusts the FAT table size to account for the reserved entries (i.e. increases
 its
size by two).  GEMDOS doesn't do this; thus the last two clusters get lost.

dgc

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 01:24:29 GMT
From: tektronix!tekcrl!tekfdi!mhorne@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Michael T. Horne)
Subject: Motherboards?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

I'm looking for sources of motherboards for the Mac, the ST, and the Amiga.
I don't know if they are even available, so could someone in the know please
inform me of the availability of the boards?  I think I heard something
about Mac motherboards being available, but I need more information.  Any
info about prices, vendors, and availability would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

--
Michael Horne - KA7AXD      |  DOMAIN: mhorne@honda.fdi.tek.com
FDI group, Tektronix, Inc   |  UUCP: tektronix!tekfdi!honda!mhorne

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jul 87 16:03:05 GMT
From: eagle!icdoc!dcw@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Duncan C White)
Subject: SIGNUM internal format
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hello everyone,

    A friend of mine has a small problem: he has entered a 40
    page paper about Theoretical Physics [chock full of silly
    little Greek symbols, mathematical equations and such like]
    into SIGNUM (a document processing system on the Atari ST).

    Now, he has decided that Signum is not good enough for his
    purposes, and prefers TeX [on a VMS VAX]

    So, we want to extract as much of the data as possible out
    of the Signum files [ideally, text, greek and equations, but
    just having the ascii text would be better than nothing]

    The manual doesn't appear to say anything about the internal
    format that Signum uses.  It contains a section on importing
    plain ASCII files into Signum, but no corresponding section
    on exporting. [yes, I know that's more difficult]

    We have started by looking at a hex dump of a fairly short
    section of the paper.  After some initial blurb, which appears
    to include the names of the fonts used in the text, the rest
    of the text appears to consist of a sequence of character
    pairs : the first is some form of 'tag' character, and
    invariably has the top bit set, and the second is the actual
    character.

    The major problem is that spaces are not stored in the document:
    it seems that a word start is signalled by a tag value of one
    of several values: A0, A4 and 9A are three such values.
    However, we have not managed to deduce when it uses which
    particular values, or indeed what the full set of 'word start'
    tags are.
    Worse, there are some tag values [98, for example] which do
    not appear to be UNIVERSALLY 'word start' tags: some words
    are marked by this tag, but the same tag value is also present
    in the middle of other words!
    Also, for some reason, y and z are swapped, and the word 'We'
    gets rendered as "W e".

    We have had no real success with the equations or greek letters:
    however, we can probably mark their positions [or at least, the
    positions of total garbage]

    What we already have is much better than nothing, but we would
    appreciate any hints, pointers, suggestions, full-blown 'C' or
    PASCAL source code ( well, it's worth a try :-) on the format
    Signum uses.   If we get enough information, we could write
    a conversion utility which will convert Signum files into ASCII
    files, probably with special 'dot commands' to represent the
    equations and greek squiggles.  [ like troff/eqn on Unix ]

    The ultimate tool for this job would obviously be a Signum -> TeX
    translator.  Unfortunately, I do not know very much about TeX
    either, so I couldn't really write such a beast. [anyone else
    want a fun project, and know TeX and Signum ???]

    Please mail any suggestions etc etc to me, and I'll summarize what
    I get...

        ecnavda ni xnahT

            nacnuD

(well, everyone says I'm backward :-)

JANET address : dcw@uk.ac.ic.doc| Snail Mail :  Duncan White,
--------------------------------|               Dept of Computing,
  This space intentionally      |               Imperial College,
  left blank......              |               180 Queen's Gate,
  (paradoxical excerpt from     |               South Kensington,
  IBM manuals)                  |               London SW7
Tel: UK 01-589-5111 x 4982/4991

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 87 07:30:38 EST
From: maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu (Carl A Maccarley)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: ST Circuit Analysis Prg

I am posting this for Peter.  It is a very well written circuit analysis
program, for small signal analysis of lumped circuits.
Includes complete docs.  I've only tested it on mono, but no mention
of any problems with color.
Four uuencoded files will follow this, three at about 32K and one at about 5K.
Prelim info below should cover everything.
- carl    maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu

From: "Peter_VerBruggen.HENR801c"@Xerox.COM

The Circuit Analysis Program (CAP) is an analysis tool for determine the
steady-state AC behaviour of electrical/electronic networks.
The network may contain resistors, capacitors, inductors, controlled cur-
rent sources (e.g. transistors, op-amps etc.) and independent current sour-
ources.

CAP was originally issued for the HP85, but has been adapted for the ST
after a lot of re-writing and testing.
Although CAP does not have the capabilies of programs like e.g. SPICE, in
small AC circuit analysis however, the output results are satisfactory and
in most cases accurate enough to predict the actual circuit behaviour.

Output can be any node voltage, branch voltage, branch current, branch
power or ratio's thereof.
Tabulated or plotted outputs are available with linear or logarithmic fre-
quency sweeps.

CAP is primary intended for electrical engineers or those who are familiar
with electrical networks and basic electrical/electronic theory.

All files belonging to CAP must be located in folder CAP, including folder
GUIDE, which contains several help-files.
Files with the extension CIR are circuit examples, which can be loaded and
analysed after frequencies and output quantities are selected and calcula-
tions have been performed.

NOTE: Hardcopy of full screen can be made by ALTERNATE+HELP.

We will offer CAP as a public domain program for non-commercial usage and
therefore assume no responsibility and shall have no liability, consequen-
tial or otherwise of any kind arising from the use of this program.

Ger Gruiters

Rank Xerox   Venray The Netherlands

----------------------------  Structure of files ---------------
G6.DOC         851             \CAP\GUIDE
G4.DOC        1114             \CAP\GUIDE
G5.DOC         878             \CAP\GUIDE
G3.DOC        1042             \CAP\GUIDE
G1.DOC         387             \CAP\GUIDE
G7.DOC         998             \CAP\GUIDE
G8.DOC         768             \CAP\GUIDE
G10.DOC        757             \CAP\GUIDE
G9.DOC         643             \CAP\GUIDE
G2.DOC        1035             \CAP\GUIDE
BJT.PIC      32000             \CAP
CAP.PIC      32000             \CAP
CAP.PRG      40980             \CAP
CAPNXT.RSC   20904             \CAP
EX1.CIR        584             \CAP
EX2.CIR        584             \CAP
EX3.CIR        584             \CAP
OPAMP.PIC    32000             \CAP
PARAM.PIC    32000             \CAP
README.DOC    1639             \CAP
WIENBRDG.CIR  1358             \CAP

----------------------------  Documentation   -------------------
1.0 General program usage
    =====================

 -  Select New cir from Menu "Circuit" , select Menu "New cir"
    next and enter a new circuit, or load 'old' circuit from
    disk (filename.cir).

-   Select frequencies and output quantities before calculation.

-   Plotting is done after calculation.

-   Tables are output automatically during calculation.

2.0 Example of circuit description
    ==============================

    1  IS       0 TO 1  1 AMPS
                0 DEG
    2  L        1 TO 2  2 E-4 H
    3  R        2 TO 3  .33 OHM
    4  C        3 TO 0  2.2 E-4 F
    5  R        2 TO 0  20 OHM

Note in the above example that circuit elements are described by their connec-
ting nodes, their values, and a branch or element number. It is this branch
number which is specified when requesting branch voltages, currents, or pow-
ers for output. You would also specify this number when deleting an element.
Due to the way the program orders itself, as you add independent current sour-
ources they are added to the top of the list. As you add any other elements the
are added to the bottom of the list.

CAP is divide into three sections a) Input of circuit, b) Selection of output
quantities and frequency sweep, and c) Plotting.
These sections are completely independent in that you can change any parameter
of any section and retain all other parameters.

3.0 Input of circuit
    ================

Circuit elements are input from the New circuit Menu, one element at a time
with the required information being the element type, the connecting nodes
and the value of the element, (i.e., 10 Ohm, .1 Henrys, etc.). The first
thing that must be done is to number the nodes. A node, for the purposes of
this program is any point where two ore more circuit elements meet. The no-
des must be consecutive integers, consecutive numbered nodes need not have
any special topological relationship to each other.
While inputting each element, the program will ask for the connecting nodes
with the following question: NODES: FROM, TO?. The FROM node is the node
where the current leaves the element.
For the non-source elements (resistors, inductors and capacitors), it is
not important if you don't know the direction of the current flow. Simply
assume one. If you assume wrong, the current will be computed 180 degrees
from the expected direction.
Study the example's EX1.CIR and EX2.CIR.

4.0 Selection of Output Quantities and Frequency Sweep

After a circuit has been input, but before calculation beings, you will need to
select those quantities you wish to observe and the frequencies at which to ob-
serve them. There are two ways that the program can provide output. printed
table of up to 50 quantities per frequency, or a displayed plot.
Only one method can be selected at a time.

Available output quantities are node voltages, branch voltages, branch currents
branch power and ratio of any two quantities. Node voltage zero is not avail-
able for output, but is always 0 volts at 0 degrees. A branch voltage is the
voltage across an element. It is the node voltage at the positive node minus
the node voltage at the negative node. The positive node for a controlled or
independent current source, by convention, is the node where the current leaves
the source (the TO node). The positive node for resistors, inductors and capa-
citors again by convention, is the node where current enters the element ( the
FROM node.

All output quantities are given in magnitude and phase format. For power this
means that real power, is measured in watts at 0 degrees.
Reactive or imaginary power, measured in VARS, is +90 degr. for inductors and
-90 degr. for capacitors.
For non-
source elements power is defined as power absorbed. For source elements
power is defined as power delivered. For any given circuit the complex sum of
power delivered by the sources will equal the complex sum of the powers absor-
bed by the elements.

The frequency sweep is selected by specifying a minimum frequency, a maximum
frequency, and an increment. If the increment is positive each new frequency
will be the old frequency plus the increment. If the increment is negative,
you have specified a logarithmic sweep with each new frequency equal to the
old frequency times the absolute value of the increment.

5.0 Plotting
    ========

Plotting is accomplished after calculations are performed. The magnitude
and phase of the output quantity selected are stored for up to 50 frequen-
cies. With the same set of data you may make any number of plots.

You need not select any plotting parameter. Automatic labeling and scaling are
default. The automatic labeling puts out the following information: whether
you're plotting magnitude or phase, the output quantity, and whether dB's
are selected for ratios. If automatic labeling is not sufficient you may
select any 18 characters. If you wish to select different scaling parame-
ters you may select the maximum. minimum and the space between the tic marks.
These parameters may be selected independently for the X and directions.
You may even leave one direction automatic and select the other.

6.0       Additional explanation for some commands

New cir  : Enter a new circuit, same input as add element.
Add elem : Add circuit element to an already existing circuit.

RES         When R NODES :FROM, TO? is displayed,
IND      1) Enter the node where currents enters the resistor followed by
CAP         a comma.
         2) Enter the node where current leaves the resistor.
            When VALUE? is displayed enter the resistance in Ohms.
            The same is done when entering an inductor or capacitor where
            the value is entered in the resp. quantity.

IS          When IS NODES: FROM, TO? is displayed,
         1) Enter the node where current enters the source, followed by
            a comma.
         2) Enter the node where the current leaves the source.

            When AMPLITUDE is displayed, enter the amplitude in Amperes.
            When PHASE is displayed, enter the phase in degrees.

6.1    continued

VCIS   : Add a voltage controlled current source

         When CONTROLLING NODES: +, -? is displayed,
      1) Enter the number of the positive controlling node followed by a
         comma.
      2) Enter the number of the negative controlling node.

         When CONTROLLED NODES: FROM, TO? is displayed,
      1) Enter the node where the current enters the controlled source
         followed by a comma.
      2) Enter where the current leaves the controlled source.

         When gm is displayed,
         Enter the transconductance in Siemens.

Del elem:To delete circuit elements when ELEMENT #? is displayed.
         Enter the element #, as it is numbered in the circuit descrip-
         tion (0 for none).

6.2  continued

TABLE  : Select tabular output quantities.
PLOT   : Select plotted output quantities.

Note that both TABLE and PLOT clear any previous selected output quantity.

dB     : Default dB is on and all ratios are output in dB.

FREQS  : When MIN FREQ? is displayed,

      1) Enter minimum or starting frequency in Herz

         When MAX FREQ? is displayed,

      1) Enter the maximum or ending frequency in Herz

         When INC[(-) FOR LOG]? is displayed,

      1) Enter an additive frequency increment
         OR
      2) Enter the negative of a multiplicative frequency increment.

6.3  continue

When output quantities are selected enter the number of the branch or node
as defined by the circuit description. Note that branch power S is a com-
plex number (S=V*I) and will be output in magnitude and phase format.

If you wish to calculate ratio's (in most cases):

1) First select the numerator (e.g Node Voltage  2 in previous example).
2) Click next Ratio "/" (becomes shaded)
3) Select the denominator (e.g. Node Voltage 1 in previous example).

If PLOT is selected ONLY 1 ratio or value can be selected at the time.
If TABLE is selected up to 21 ratios or quantities can be selected.

The SUPERIMPOSE function superimposes the next plot over the last plot
(dashed line), using the next plot's scaling parameters.

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************(4to hiHo

Date:         Tue 14 Jul 87 15:32:15 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #277
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Tuesday, July 14, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 277

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                 Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari
     Re: MODULARS232 (long) - easy serial communications cabling
                               DLII.ARC
      Re: SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?
                    How to establish a ^C handler?
      Re: SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?
                        Re: SMALLTALK on Atari
                       Games (or not) on the ST
                     Panasonic drive reliability?
     Re: ATARI ST w/hybrid arts smptetrack; Any users out there?
                          guide.uue for CAP

Date: 9 Jul 87 16:52:43 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Smee)
Subject: Re: 520STFM recommendation for Atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <5330001@hpccc.HP.COM> blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) writes:

>...  I read something this weekend about Atari "not
>wanting a 1040 to be hooked up to a TV and used as a game machine" ...

To be fair, I believe that what Atari mean when they say things that get
reported like that is:

  We don't want the 1040 to get the reputation of being a machine which
  people only buy to hook up to a TV etc...

The problem is that if the world-at-large gets the idea that 1040's are
primarily games machines, they won't consider them for serious use.  May
not be right or fair, but that's how the market works.

Speaking of which, the 1040 probably *is* a games machine.  I WANT a
1-MegaST; anyone from Atari listening?

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 14:11:26 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!mks!wheels@seismo.css.gov
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1620@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
(braner) writes:
> My friend Richard Furnas has devised a wonderful solution to the
> age-old DCE/DTE dichotomy.
>
>       A T G G R Q
>     __+_+_+_+_+_+__     <A>  (Acknowledge) handshake signal coming out
>    |  | | | | | |  |    <T>  (Transmit) data coming out of this box
>    |               |    <G>  Ground
>    |               |    <G>  Ground
>    |               |    <R>  (Receive) data going into this box
>    |               |    <Q>  (Query) handshake signal going into this box
>     -----     -----
>          |   |          (looking into the socket from outside the box)
>           ---

I applaud this attempt to make some sense out of the RS232 mess.
(Admittedly, the mess is not RS232's fault -- it was never intended
to be used to connect things which are in the same room. Oh well.)

I'd like to add a thought -- in keeping with the symmetry of the signals,
how about a symmetrical connector? I have seen such things, used mainly
for connecting the lights of house trailers to automobiles. They look
like this (in ASCII graphics!):

           ------------------
    ------|               G  |=====
    cable |                  ------
    ------|               G        |
          |               T        |   <--- holes here for mating pins
          |               A        |
           ------------------------

To be safe, the driven lines should appear on the sockets, so they can't
short to nearby things. I have shown the signals, and where they should
appear on the connector.

Using this type of connector, there is no need for adapters to connect
extension cables. ANY CONNECTOR CAN PLUG INTO ANY OTHER!

Comments?
--
"Network XXIII. Where two's company, and three's an audience." -- Max Headroom

Gerry Wheeler                  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 12:48:36 GMT
From: kodak!ektools!bruce@cs.rochester.edu  (Bruce D. Nelson )
Subject: DLII.ARC
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Simon Poole's program, DLII.ARC was recently posted on GEnie. Last night, the
GEnie sysops purged it, and left a main banner message saying, in part, that
bugs had been reported in it and that they urged users who d/l'ed it to
destroy their copies.

As DLII was the answer to my many queries on the net about a "chkdsk" for the
ST (and, BTW, it DID fix the disk I needed to have fixed), I'd like to find
out when another version might be forthcoming.

Simon, thanks for the nice program. I hope you can work out the tangles that
made the GEnie people nervous.

Bruce D. Nelson, Sr. Appl. Analyst: Software Maint., Tech. Support Svcs.
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650, (716)726-7890
UUCP:   {allegra, seismo}!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
ARPA:   kodak!ektools!bruce@rochester.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 12:18:18 GMT
From: rocksanne!xrxns!toml@cs.rochester.edu  (Tom Love)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3559@watvlsi.UUCP>, rpfeifle@watvlsi.UUCP writes:
> What pins have to be connected to what lines, what pins have to be dropped
> etc...
>
> Ron
> --
> Ron Pfeifle
> {decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle

oh, sweet naivete...  for better or worse atari's DMA and the industry-standard
SCSI interface are far from equivalent.  simply crossing a few wires won't do
it for you;  you need an adaptor board (not to mention a disk controller,
unless your disk is *really* a SCSI disk, i.e. has its own built-in
SCSI controller).
i'm familiar with two companies making DMA to SCSI adaptors for the ST:
Tech Specialties, in Houston, and Berkeley Microsystems, in Oakland CA.
I know essentially nothing about Tech Specialties, except that i think they
mostly do turnkey hard disk systems.  i have done business with berkeley
microsystem - i bought their adaptor, as well as an adaptek controller
board, from them.  i use mine to drive a quantum 540 HD.  i've had no
problems.
the cost on these two boards is approx $125 each.
for more info, see my article in the march "ST Applications" magazine
entitled "a hacker's hard disk", wherein i describe my experiences putting
together my disk system.  if you can't find a copy of that mag, send me
a sase and i'll send you a copy of the article (i could uucp the text, but
you'd be missing the graphics then).  i will be happy to do this for whoever
would like a copy.

[aside: i'm beginning to think that this newsgroup needs a "answers to commonly
asked questions" article posted periodically, like that posted with the
netiquette article.]

good luck!

tom love
xerox edds
p.o. box 2000
leesburg, va 22075
(703)729-8000 x5185

uucp: seismo!rochester!rocksanne!xrxns!toml
xns: toml:lsbg-egp/cad:xerox

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 14:58:42 GMT
From: sandra@cs.utah.edu  (Sandra J Loosemore)
Subject: How to establish a ^C handler?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'd like to have a program I'm working on establish a handler for
asynchronous ^c interrupts.  Some TOS programs seem to do this already,
but others seem to handle ^c's synchronously.  The GEMDOS documentation
implies that ^c's are treated specially when you use Cconin and Cnecin,
but this can only be synchronous, right?  I can't find any mention of a
special interrupt for ^c in the docs -- could I poll the keyboard
for input from inside a clock-driven interrupt handler?  Is there an
easier way?

Date: 10 Jul 87 17:45:00 GMT
From: apollo!weber_w@eddie.mit.edu  (Walt Weber)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3559@watvlsi.UUCP> rpfeifle@watvlsi.UUCP writes:
>What pins have to be connected to what lines, what pins have to be dropped
>etc...

I sincerely doubt that a straight pin-pin connection can be made
from the Atari DMA port to a SCSI disk controller.  There would appear
to be enough differences in signal level and handshake proto's that
it would not work.

Use the BMS1000 interface board from Berkeley Micro Systems in
California.  Their ads appear in Current Notes (Washington Atari
Computer Enthusiasts newsmagazine) and in STart.

I have no connection with BMS except as a VERY HAPPY customer.

--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 87 20:50:38 GMT
From: devvax!grieggs@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov  (John T. Grieggs)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

 writes:
>Does anyone know if a SMALLTALK implementation for
>Atari-ST computers exists?

 Yes, there is.  There is a P/D Smalltalk implementation that exists as
a very large ARC file.  I believe I have it at home, but am not sure how
to get it to you, as I haven't been able to figure out how to get the
Dumas UUENCODE stuff over here in ARPA-land.  I can Kermit from home to
here, but then???

_john

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 23:56:04 GMT
From: eagle!icdoc!mjd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Martin J Davies)
Subject: Games (or not) on the ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

<Munch....>

    All this discussion about how the ST is no games machine I
went out and bought GAUNTLET for it yesterday. Wow this is what a
computer is really for ! It costs about 25 Pounds in the UK (~=40$)
and is a pretty close version of the good ole arcade classic.
Has any one else playyed it yet ? Has anyone met the theif ?
Ive been to level 17 (past the first treasure room) and have not seen
him. The two drawbacks to the game are :-

    1) Only two can play , tho' they can select any of the usual players
    2) I dont get any work done ! (two people playin' Gauntlet is much more
fun than Time Bandit .

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 87 00:23:14 GMT
From: mnetor!utgpu!lansd@seismo.css.gov  (Robert Lansdale)
Subject: Panasonic drive reliability?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    I have been looking around for an external double sided drive for
my Atari here in Toronto. The only two on the market seem to be the
expensive Atari model ($360.00 CDN), and the Panasonic model ($275).
    Sometime in the last two weeks I have heard from someone that the
Panasonic has problems with diskettes written on an Atari drive. Any
truth to this statement? Any reliability problems with the Panasonic?
I don't feel comfortable buying a drive that is almost $100 cheaper
than the Atari one!

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 20:34:52 GMT
From: ihnp4!homxb!mtuxo!lzfme!marco@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (M.DOLCE)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4552@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, rwn@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Neumann) writes:

>     I am planning the purchase of an ATARI ST 1040 with
>     monochrome monitor. I plan to use the hybrid arts
>     smptetrack sequencing software/hardware for composing, etc.
>
>     Does anyone have expierience with this system, espiecially
>     the softaware package? Any pros/cons that I should consider?

        I'm not sure what *hybrid arts* smptetrack sequencing is -
HOWEVER - I've been using the Dr. T's Keyboard (MIDI) Sequencer Software on
an Atari 520 ST.  It's powerful,  very fast, and evidently the
best bang for the buck package around, ($540 for the Atari and monoichrome
monitor, $140 for the software).  A recent letter from the Dr. T people
announces a new smpte software release, it smpte is what you need.
Fill me in:  What does a smpte sequencer do that a midi sequencer
can't?  I thought that smpte was a protocol used to synch music or
whatever to film and video.  Is there such a thing as a smpte sequencer?
 . . . . Anybody else out there in netland using the Dr. T's
software on the Atari?  I would appreciate contact:  The thing is so damned
complex I haven't deciphered all the documentation yet.  Just another
bone-headed guitar player I guess (just kidding guys).

Mark D.  ihnp4!mtuxo!lzfme!marco

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 03:55:58 EST
From: maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu (Carl A Maccarley)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: guide.uue for CAP

The following is a guide.uue file for Peter VerBruggen's issue of
Ger Gruiters' program CAP.   Sorry it wasn't included with the main
program files.

PS:  I have gotten a report that the program files did not un-ARC
correctly at one location.  The files were thoroughly checked
(downloaded and tested) before sending, but I'm worried that the
copies I sent to SCORE made it OK.  There may be a sinister IBM in my path.
The files were shipped off "as-received" from Peter, except for the
removal of extra newlines between every line of uuencode, that somehow
ended up in the files.  It is possible that other extra things lurk in
files that my uudecode doesn't mind, but others might.
If other people have this problem, please email me at my ARPA
address.  If several people have the same problem, I will assume
that the files got munged on the way to SCORE and re-post.
I'm not on the SCORE mailing list, so I won't see the results until
much later when it leaks onto our news.spool.

maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu

table
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
begin 644 GUIDE.ARC
M&@A',2Y$3T,         &@$  .<.!:$-6(,!   ,,5S  '&DC)LR<L*P 0%'a
MSILS"=N J#,GS)DR#12 @$2@!Z0*&4-J; $"Q)0R;,J,H0/"29D[(,:DD0/"a
MC$.)30S6 2%BR,PQ==+0$0&"!8@Y*%6RS.EFIPB7,&7*$9%Q(X&#>%B&<4,&a
MA$$Z"$&$ 7$PZL^@=(R^H<GF39BN)]ZP(7,BYEFA-6^"J,J13)HY:T"@,),Fa
MI9LP;<JXD)K"A<B,)"$-.)ER9=XR<>H8E%EFCEBN(-[4H0-G-(C,6^D(3=,9a
MA)@R9M:6B:D0*)LPJM^X<:Q 9.0!4-K24>WF#(B_(,CHGAW&#%B:8VK7N9U[a
M]V,%OZF$$9/2<Q@YLT63-AUF])LVN--$9\,F3_(Z<M(4I\W&=GK=O $:"$<Qa
M,"Y$3T,        E @  YPX(H1>#]0(   PV7,P  6+,&S=TTKBI4Z:! H=7a
MT)1Q ^)-'3IP+H*(4R<,PC0)R\P!$49.&1!SRK I,X9.&3(@)KJ4 X*.1! +a
MVX@I0_.-F9HWQ<CQ. 9-19INWI!IJ"#,R*5F%+X$(28/T)-CTL@94P<DB*5Sa
MQLA) R?A01<@G+QQ"30,':I#W10% >?-'9X@IH!(,S),P3=M6CB$LQ(/SCHZa
M\:*8TL.*BB0I2+J!>2<-&S943UK$J%$AB#9ASK@!66>I9)APT#@]:>:-'-!Ta
M7#ATF.1G'HL@*L\Q2N=-P3!LN+)Q>W*HV1,C47AN\V;.VS&KYZ30X1"$PQB1a
MC6AUCE(ER[<V3^;DZ=8U"!1E7)Q)J_2DE3=LZ(0^"4+&7HIP3-I)8W%D&3QAa
MM$%8&2G(IH ,D0W!1AICK('3?V])X19_((CP@@CG[610&R*AI-I29$3FT R1a
M3>%=2U=]-1%@"I5'$WKJH:66:>_%-Q\(,=Q'EW[\U>$?@ *N5.!L"M0& A1,a
M/$'%7B.EM%)+4SWA!!-9X B"<12:9P=P#/U&T4[=/>D23&ZEF!"'!AI)11!"a
M,%$$DV%^-U4=<-3DFPPY8MG<41MU]%%((T'WY4E.RDF&@0Y1<=,454!1A!1)a
M- '%$U.\:48=<IE%T1QT\I2&@,UU&-Z#>+Q%V%H5V8'7J,-Q=RH=#J% AE,2a
MP;2@&P2R (*/"JTW*JZETL7&6LBA!-VMZ\%14H!ES#2'@1H(1S(N1$]#    a
M     )<"  #G#@JAO_(+!   ##)<P !1!$^8-G#8E 'QQ@R(,6GDC*F3A@X(a
M,F7FC)&3!@Z=-&_<-%   A*!'I \C!Q9DD ,$""23"EY8""5)R!>Y@01I F4a
M*2PA01A(I,B1H 1DP&12$L'+FR"41B78@@8()$AGP)325"E4K2!<S-#Z!$D3a
MI%9!#&FJ%>K J"Z4%JD*P@C2&EN[@G +4\; LF<5C'3RAL["-&Y T$&S,(R8a
M-W86EC&(4*%B-&$L0I1(T6(9A6W*N*$S!T08.0LQ:N0HI@P9$&+R7"X3\6%(a
M-V7&M!CYT<T9$&[>J&8QN[:=,&SJ9"0>QLWK,+#E-!^#AJ$<$)_+A!X-O$Z;a
MUG)<Q+28IO3B\M&GHQGIQCMX$'?0I*$. OT<.+G3F$GC&C[CQ*C%H=P<O?TFa
MAG1NT&?'&VS0$<89RSU4AQRHC38'<6]<!\<;=^RF0!ERE&9&A@S500<<)HJ7a
MQ1MUP,<B&\^Q,<<;(-R7GQFRG5=:>]^!Z)]H%V57H&F)9;<='2Z,1(1RBM&Xa
MV$)WA)$C8R# (<<;9TC7AG48A5@?:9^9P5QI>;!H&AFO(881?LZ)IMF$%5HTa
MXX0>CI'1;+*=UAB:_='A))5^PL&00T^"P$9Y2/)$IIEAH$FD;(4Q=IV1;IK'a
M6!XCZ7DF1J_Y.1MLA?FY94.?'DI@DH(I,$004-17&D9VI,%I?:/]B=I"<^3Va
M44BEA9%"3&Z@:!&IFTU4$7%B_#I%=F/LFABI+)YHXD@"-O?11W<V]YH9 2J7a
MH&QSW%%&&7 PY]Q#OT+!1JB(G8$J%8SE6J.N(+G1*VJV55:&86S(IB:YHF'$a
M'6*7909"F2V.T=Q#F/G6F!NRP7':0?N".!*IS8%+;TA$OH::@P0CQP9#3VHXa
M<6B&A8@J&@A',RY$3T,         P (  .<.#:%1D!($   ,,US  )'$#9PZa
M=$"\,0-B3!HY8^JDH=-  0A(!'I @E"QXI"'$2>"*,.F3)LR;NC, 1%&3AD0a
M:0PB!&%&SILV(.B@>>FDS)V&("4F;(*R#@N%;EZ2-(DR81BG.=.<K'AG(IJ<a
M.T&XC"/1)1F8;LR\D=/F:9HW;D"(*1/S#%:E)4^FS)D'3IFC.E^.09MT#)VVa
M(-R\(5-F3L4P;K[F!6$G#)LZ+Q>^'1FWZ5$4:5R4<7$TQL G:-H<=1$#!!*4a
M<O+,.5J&SA@7*5R H)+5S,,Y%!7H!*SS*8@V=7"K?4D&[<LT*^F\"5RGS5HYa
MDP43GB,[2.#!=VF.G7Q0#IPW<PHK-%-Q]THX-L_("8,3.4LW>4!\CYGPSDZ7a
M.>\L'_NR#7^@$ E%&5,IK712:[+1]I)@+50TW6_!);160VB%%]%?=AR74AEGa
ME"'':A2Z82%":63(G',>EO&5=.(EI>)U":$11H:'P0?"''8YY%A.;WS'QAMGa
MI#'&CBZQ85:%:*0!!X\CA3'&56_D)8<+%5V19$E@'43'7VZX58:35RTE%QUXa
M984>D.OA5!4;;+ TQQK:0;?87F[TQ:5;+!JF0%4Z3286FV]4U24(7!7V%UHZa
M@.#$$T04,46B1DCQ1!-'4?'$#PEF%>FDUQ$&4W)9L4C5?2_-68<<+LU5THSBa
M+29F4U0J8,1VBPGF1@MSO''J&' 1J!((*+@T!W+*?7A43&34X==8*R'VU9!Pa
M.#D1LRD<FQ!R%0EV;1O?R4$'8M<RE(>N(!3GQ@D)K2'83XN1\5 9?IV5EF2Fa
MHMH433_>(=L44L'!1AZ'S3%'<Y$E)5L2XI(;AL $@W"'35V6J=>IJ=:7!IO#a
M4<@M0B_&@,- A*E71F$5U7339&7@D2,=+[KK4KQHQ3H%'760$9^K>+#G;QDGa
MK%0$%C&X,$024KSWU<\R"$UTK!H(1S0N1$]#         *L"  #G#@^AI-U:a
M!   # T4T' ! \24,FS*C*&3YHT;$&_,@'A2APZ<BB"BU GCAB'#,G- <"0#a
MPHB<,G'JE'$S)H_!.V7*P D( A*!'I!D! P8Q R=,G)$@AB31LZ8.FGH@$ 3a
M)J28F _3N+E(AP4(,1B?FGES<F@8-D?9A&'H\&H9J6?F6,WSI@Z(.VG8L 'Aa
M)B9).F\"SD&H4"D=-&_V@DC)T6,:D"#8NH4[!PT(O!#%[)5CIXQ(-W?16#9Sa
M,N5*HHC'OD639HQCR&_$M- +M/)CS6U<@*"BN6N8KG3NO'D;)D_(OZ+_6H8Ca
MY\T9.6':>'U(_(V=-&0LM[58439QJ3_)!*031DQ"B!+KP'F\NT9!PAV3'@X)a
M!R@(SBA5LLQCE:M0,FGFP!&;IPS)_6_0X4) 3[C!ADL.6=9&&7^]0=(8')D%a
MPEX)+>2?2$J%\5@:"PZH $]VA!%7=]]-1]5@&Z7W44BW6>:&@Y;9\08;W)T!a
MDE5B(,>28S+2&(:-:EVEHVE#U2''21W-$5".'!$)QQLP!342",B1!=YE+N6Va
M&WJ&@22;$S""T&.-END!U&[YT16@2"'&M9H")&YFGXD5X8A1FE_=T5M(!8W)a
MHE(%17=<3'/(%H203?(X(YD@I"E<0&/^:%D88Q0W!XL/\;5@1[(EH92CFJD9a
MG9B+2HKA:\,%IIYK+X[:AE1U**F <*+&6*J-I]):UQECI<$JC++1ENH<J[H8a
MYE92#N40'<7)=2%7 4D577N8K:3444=:.V%;1I6!HTMC.%19>@Y9!:JQH]Y1a
MFV6T8HND4@F%49FLM,[![1B6H4 K%4_4FD*PH3Y)+$._CHHLE2#EAY<<04I;a
MQT)<8?I@&'"$\291"[/(JU17@2NNM0VY8>YOH;9JF;I 6>:NMM8"1;)EFFJ+a
M JH!&2'%$TW4ZB$:"$<U+D1/0P         W @  YPX2H6SW;@,   P-% 1Aa
MPP;$FSITX" $$:=.&#=TTD0L,P=$&#EE0)Q)8Z>,&Q!I/K8)<\:-Q#ID,CXDa
M P(.FC!S,IIY(V<D'1<@C-!L^>9.&3D@Z*!),R=@FS(/*PH-0P<$QC %X?3\a
MR0)DQ:,PZV!D&1+$':9T*C(% 0-$RC,8*;H(* 7IF(@=#0)-,W*CFXMY>/J4a
M4Q7K'*UEN'ZT$D3*E*I$0:S(4?:L')PSY[HA4^<M3;&3 [9@;+8,6L@[QX2!a
M$V:,Q,MK%>@$ZN:-FQ9S#LH9D[$,FS)'(5:4NM=J9S,A UO</15H&#&QY8@)a
MC',UB-A::8.PC=MCV("\?_I."=R-<)AZM:=DP_$G\YP['^;=V/&CZ=EU) 9%a
MDW',FS9P;N-Y7J>-03/8%=<9>1UM!8(8>0F5$72S4>15&@1-UQ!4\]5W7WYEa
M[/>7?V^846%X<HB%'$TM!+0<2PA^2%UN8:46$!7T@6 &1@UY-$9><_A4!AR^a
MQ73;6\*E. <<99AF1AXAG6$1"&V$1%=_,M)8AXUY5!4&DV'@\60; <U81HUNa
MW&CE9!9]%-(8&+&(4Q(>*@A2F&E:YYM4<TA4WG2EH0&"=W=$^>648>81T!T0a
M%K3<AV^PP9*78-[8$AMU*!7CF7%"M&:;D\)9'42^>7<&4^6Q$% >!X'P4EQ#a
M%ID&<-^!P,8;G\HA$1I-CO&<CCP2*A2>8^C)IY^-YO4GA72\46% B2XJ)95!a
MT>6@F\?%!BD=&=D!U93_?4CIIC<%!!H(1S8N1$]#         #$"  #G#A2Aa
MR=53 P  # T4U' ! P04-F_HT$GCYDQ $) (]("$(&# @PD7-@219@Z(,&/&a
MO&D#ATU'-&7(?#1#IXP<$&/"L!E3ATV8A6_<> PCIPP(."[-O)'3)J4+$%10a
M@F@3YHR;-'3JD"D3,(P;E7#0A)GC\XT9$'24OJE#!PY9$''J6%U()P\(KFS*a
MC&FIDJ?/.72&I@0A]&4=.&#?@*A1T$S/M&7<M @X)DV9.4>O0$4#5NF<,$7?a
MEJ$#PBL(,C?#@,@S=FD8MTS7^+3JUDV=-F)<=OY:,B%DBPJRE'939J^;A)KCa
MSOWHQFUMA0S/_.2)>;/+HT'(CKR99@P(F[%-;K2J<DY,[<KM!IQJ)DQ-.D>3a
MKI;.=*%U[&7 _R3K<2SGL#Z%LD%X)SE'-WVUET9..H!P!TKXR1$0:76<T--/a
M""&W$5-.02555R]EM549+%36%5EF<9;66E#ET2%W!B*(TDMD"''"'%4]")=<a
M=/$U% AR4/<&9" D\95Y>0GX7AC9^=<1"+]Q-D<=9IA1G6-N<,:@:7D$-.-Pa
MK($0 PXP:97C7"[QZ.-HI?4W!V5Y!4?C9VDTZ5)B2G[G'QS,%;68 BW)X=&4a
M3+EUY7U*,85'&FV\=E0;#!'Z&G$JX?<6G6/X%!L==_3FAH=@56>:'&O<IH!Za
M7"V78U%Y>M0G"+&I":9*#$T%U%5PLN%67YABP2B;/<TUH$XN!*1;'52"4(8=a
MB5U71AC$=L8;KC3N^A%[U%F'XI^8)K1BKPH &@A'-RY$3T,         +@( a
M .<.%Z'Q,^8#   ,-ES   'I0! R9-+02?/&31@V(,K@@<,FC,.%#4&8>2,'a
MQ)PW;<J & .RC44R<QHH(*B@!R04*E4Z*7-G9)J.('2 *.*&3IF.84"XH6E3a
MSI@Z"EEX#!,21!HW<.K0 1%F#E6$$=F4"=G3A<J#9+)NS0D";-&C"L5RG4KGa
M#54W5-G(*1.&3)Z(>-+,6>CFC$VT=+PJ4"FER!2"":Z@*0-7"@@G3X@8SFE$a
MRI,F2JD\^>'4:L(Y%,/D*4.&A<HD3H@0-! CQ<Z>/T'062ST#1F1=Q;/'5E'a
MSMR>5AG[E&-UMLBY<_2V[;B1#9LW=TB#$)-'Y9 @4! ')=G&I&#$,ESS'"Z;a
MMAO;N'6+/.I;. BM8>R4*4X;N7*.WR$Q4,P8A)4@3%11!&=Z@?!9:*.%)5QLa
MQH%@WUX6C2'24R \@48;<^3' !6TS<'4A)XUE%Y_"\KQE%\6.>4&&76,L1P(a
M'(T4!AQAC*%0C+G]5(9*!#'0H!T/U0%B1+#-%1:%#2('APL@Q%&'10O1D8=@a
MIQT&B0+\P97$89!)-H5.E5V6V6:=&:@7@J29MA(D";3V&GD-GG<;"#GNQMYOa
M4Y5(GT@?]2:A4LT]%UU8U/&HWW8EA9%? N&]R:!YZ-&I7GGK]8;G>W3)MZ='a
M;_A9!I5K[K<87$$T 04325!1A61E'EA1@DJ52"E5;5"D4!US4AA$K3IF:*BHa
M_4&!1!!3%-'JF:^F222<M,&!1E43PG7;&7/-)Q@:"$<X+D1/0P        #8a
M 0  YPX:H6%\  ,   PV7,0  8G F#=NZ*1Q4Z<,F08*(%H9DF0*P0$Z0 0Aa
M0P9$&!!VWK"A$^9,&1 '$\H1R<8ARCIRY)1)"&+.&YACRD"$2##!%30S00QYa
MXH2*E"=,F"1Q<@2$DR=$BDS)N((%B!8_0*29 X+,5CALPN1QR((G) ,Q4H Ha
MDK",'!!T@()@V$:,6Q!OS,"5"^?-G#0*[9Q,26<E&S8+S\Q]0^:D&99O[K@4a
MD\<C"+,)#K9I$\:%60,RU+*E<S?N2;IVW^;=>[K,F3"!!R,LS#+QXL:>%1 Ta
M@/EGT*%%CR8M0L0I5*D9C1QM8I7*DZQ;NWX-.Y9,6=UGTZYM^];T[9-W@,IDa
M_3+F3#H@SKOEZIVPX98=;>+4B3W!X\.1)U?^J)ES[MVA;4?:6^&Y=5)[,,E$a
M4TMA",:>7.ZQY))\<N246V] N0'"&6UHQ957<X E%EF8C5::7(6%X<8<*9%1a
MQQ@DN9&35AI.D489;<PTQX4*$%$&&^FUU(8.5+S1U8]ED(92&A76 5B0.)['a
M58$:%L%$$4T4410((T#WX70CDO$?) F8V)U<2.9(TPA6A<'5D]&A9F!'"Y$Wa
M!I-C.(E>8RS*D08<+6"F$$(@H  #"(^]Y09"9:3@PF41*0 :"$<Y+D1/0P  a
M      "K 0  YPX<H0AH@P(   PV7,@  6+,&S=TTKBI4X9, P4/J001PJ0(a
M01T@II1A4V8,'1!TPHBIPR:,'!!OZM"!HQ)$G#IA$*9)6&:.BX=0F#RA @+2a
M (P:.7H$ 8?-&SIT&J)4R?+CRY@):=I\^-#)T3(@T83Y*.8H&A 2*5J,209$a
MSIT%.9H$$3,/43EE[*1).0?$G(T=DY9-N;+E4YET\MR$J(",D)X%,!(I8R8,a
MR8^&0:2I>Y"MF[)AV+ !(6?KW+HFL?)M*MD-",.#'QJ14B3*E(L@KJ I8[I)a
M$B<@5K?^(;DNF<E%P^1IR.)ASP/&(1F(D0)$$81E3K91F*9-G38H3\X)*2>Aa
MFS,@S,!]27N,6X4@D$370U5!SP2R:8-H$@1+;M91>$\^#;SD<#+%$=;3<LT]a
ME]1)=,P&0AMAX%'===F!0-MOWX4W'D-NF%=:>NNU]UY\IMTVQ!8HM-"<$4](a
M 8).1W2AGV_]"4><A\HQYQQT)\7$%AF_)60'5N*505Z&YV4(5QNTT9%< BDFa
K9X ,!>*8%59NE'&&9S^B9 9;"SZ61E%IC($ED!>65^081R;I0D\,/ 0: "DFa
end

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

Date:         Mon 13 Jul 87 19:35:37 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #275
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, July 13, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 275

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      How to get ALN from Atari
          Re: Computer Aided Voicing (Product Announcement)
                   Lattice-C and I/O to full disks
     Re: What's the latest version of the Sac? (plus other stuff)
                 C development on Amiga and Atari ST
                               Purchase
                               Purchase
                   Re: Aegis Animator and GDOS.PRG
                         Accessible Archives
      Re: SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?
                   Re: "FCC Information Tax" Flap.

Date: 8 Jul 87 21:26:32 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
Subject: How to get ALN from Atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I talked with Cindy Claveran and found out that she will send the linker,
along with laser-printed documentation (same content as the .DOC file,
but nicer-looking), to registered developers who send her $1.50 and
a disk.

The version she has is slightly newer than the one originally put on
Compuserve.  I am having John Feagans put the new one up there, too.
The only difference is that the linker waits for the Return key when
it's done, if you started it with no arguments (e.g. as a .TOS file
from the desktop).  This feature is half-done in version 1.00, but
now is completely done (in version 1.01).  If you already got
aln, and you use it from a command shell or batch file, don't bother
re-downloading it.

Cindy's address is:

    Cindy Claveran
    Atari (U.S.) Corporation
    1196 Borregas Avenue
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
        USA

/----------------------------------------------\

Date:           Thu, 09 Jul 87 14:47:43 gmt
To:             info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
From:           <FRANK@FRILL51.BITNET>
Subject:        autogem??

In theJune number of Personal Computer World is a small notice that says
that there exists a program called AUTOGEM which allows to boot and run
a GEM application directly from the auto folder. It seems to be on the
XANTH bulletin board (0101) 206 682 8039. Since I'm in France it is nearly
impossible for me to get it directly, so if anybody out there would be so
nice to send me a copy I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance...

Please send it arced and uuencoded.

My address is FRANK@FRILL51 on earn/bitnet.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 87 09:09:41 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!ljdickey@seismo.css.gov
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3511@well.UUCP> csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) writes:
>>    Product Announcement                                 July 2, 1987
>I thought Usenet policy forbade for-profit commercial announcements here.

I am delighted to see such announcements.  This one was clearly marked
as such.  If you don't want to read it, skip it.

I hope it appears only once.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

------------------------------

Date: 9 JUL 87 17:40-N
From: U00170%HASARA5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
To: INFO-ATARI16 @ SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Lattice-C and I/O to full disks

Hello all of you,

How can I, using Lattice-C and the (I think) level 2 i/o
functions like fopen, fprintf etc, find out wether the disk
I am writing to is full. Somehow I don't get an error calling
ferror when I know I am writing to a full disk.

Greetings,
Berend F. de Vries.
U00170@HASARA5 on Bitnet.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 12:46:59 GMT
From: rocksanne!xrxns!toml@cs.rochester.edu  (Tom Love)
Subject: Re: What's the latest version of the Sac? (plus other stuff)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <2045@trwrb.UUCP>, sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) writes:
> About 2 weeks ago I ordered the Magic Sac from Computer Games + in Orange,
> CA.
>
> Can anyone out there tell me what the latest version should be?  Also, does
> anyone know of a place in the L.A.  area where I can get some Mac ROMs?
>
>    /////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>   /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\
>   \\\ {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!sansom  Redondo Beach, CA                //
>    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

funny, i just had a nearly similar experience with Full Spectrum Computers
in Dumfries, VA. (though to be fair the part about promising roms and not
including them doesn't apply).

i can't help you with your search for roms in the LA area, though as indicated
by the mail-order ads in the magazines i read they shouldn't be hard
to acquire.  going price is $40;  i've seen them for as low as $30, but
not lately.

as for current version -- allow me to refer you to the july/august '87
issue of "current notes" magazine, pg 38.  the column, which i highly
recommend, is jeff greenblatt's "adventures in the magic sacdom".
i admit it's not the greatest title, but it is a very informative column
which he's been writing since around last march or so.  it's also the
only monthly column i've seen anyone writing on the magic sac, in any
publication.

anyway, according to his column, the latest version is 4.34, which he says
was uploaded to compuserve and genie.  you can save yourself the 10 dollar
software upgrade fee data pacific charges by downloading it yourself.  i
don't know if the mac download disk has changed, or is available on these
services, since i'm not a user of either.

a few other points of interest, sort of free-association style, and gleaned
from jeff's column and my conversations with the guys at data pacific:

the disk translator is awaiting fcc approval.  it supposedly will be ready
to ship within a period of time measured in weeks, or even days, rather
than months.  the price guess at by greenblatt is between $100 and $200,
though i believe this does not include a drive.  quote:  "The
preliminary info on the box is that it will be connected to the midi ports
and the disk drive port of the last drive in the system.  it will work even
if you only have a 1040 STf without an external drive.  It will have its own
Z80 processor to handle I/O and a separate power supply, and does not have
to be disconnected when not in use...  It will also have the ability to
differentiate between Magic and Mac formatted disks automatically."
taken without permission from the above-cited magazine article.

jeff says he plans to have it, and a review ready, for the september issue
of current notes.

other interesting stuff:  after i found myself having problems with my
strangely-acting magic sac, i contacted data pacific.  turns out my
software had been hacked by some perverse sob to display a recent version
number (4.0) but was, in fact, something from the 3.x vintage.  wanting
to get off on the right foot, i order the sw upgrade ($10).  however,
(this is the interesting part) the guy i spoke with on the phone said that
future releases of the sw may/will not support the magic sac, rather will
require the magic sac plus (the one with the clock, which goes for an extra
$30 or so).  i admit i am a bit vague on this, and didn't press him for
details.  anyway, i also went for their hardware upgrade:  for another
$25 they swap your sac for a sac plus, including the transfer cable (which
goes for $35 alone!).  if anyone has more info on this support issue i
would be curious to hear more.

one more comment about current notes magazine:  thru their PD disk service
(about which an article was posted here just a few days ago) you can get
a whole slew of magic-format disks containing mac utilities, fonts, games,
the finder, etc.  $4 per disk, plus $1 per 6 disks postage.  this is a
public service announcement, friends.  proceeds from the sale of those
disks support novatari, the northern virginia atari user's group, and other
d.c. area atari groups.

there hasn't been much discussion of the magic sac here;  personally
i'd like to hear more, and plan to be contributing more as soon as i
get my upgrade back.

tom love
xerox edds
leesburg, va 22075

Date: 9 Jul 87 18:04:43 GMT
From: cca!jack@husc6.harvard.edu  (Jack Orenstein)
Subject: C development on Amiga and Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've been working on a C program that is cramped in several ways by my
ancient (has a cassette interface) IBM PC and early-version Lattice C.
In looking at new systems, I've narrowed my choice to the Atari 1040 ST
and Amiga A2000, because of the graphics and because 68000-based
machines avoid the segment-size problems that IBM has decided we can
live with.  My requirements are as follows:

- Hard disk (at least 20 meg)
- At least 1 meg main memory
- Fast C compiler, ideally with a source level debugger, make, etc.
  100% faithful to K & R (my current Lattice C has a number of problems here).
- Emacs

I'd be grateful for opinions on hardware/software configurations that you
have actually used. Given that the A2000 isn't really out yet, I'm interested
in what A1000 users have to say.

- COST: How much can I expect to spend on the system, color monitor, 20 meg
  disk and 1 meg main memory? How much for the C software and editor?
- SPEED: What's the speed of the compiler? Relative measures (e.g. twice the
  speed of an 8088-based PC) and absolute measures (e.g. 500 lines per
  minute) are of interest.
- GRAPHICS: Speed and ease-of-programming.
- OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: What do you particularly like and dislike?

The second biggest lie in recorded history is "I'll post a summary to
the net", but I really will if enough people respond. I can be reached
at jack@cca.cca.com.

Thanks

Jack Orenstein

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 9 Jul 87 19:26 EDT
From:  "Marc C." <Poulin@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Purchase
To:  info-atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Hello,
 I will be purchasing a 1040 relatively soon, and I would appreciate any
information anyone has on prices as far as good deals go.  It would have
to be mail order unless it's someplace around central NY.  Also let me
know of any problems you have had with dealers.  It's funny, I sell
computer software and hardware on the side, and one of my distributors
started carrying STs.  They will sell me a 520, but not a 1040 because
Atari said they can only sell them in certain areas.  Pretty strange.
                     Thanks in advance,
                         Marc C. Poulin

--------------------------------
        Marc C. Poulin
        MicroByte Distributors
        6480 Monument Road
        Rome, NY 13440-7210

  AT&T: (315)336-7564
  ARPA: Poulin@RADC-MULTICS
   CIS:  72737,2703 --------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 17:25:00 GMT
From: ihnp4!drutx!tlz@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (ZrustTL)
Subject: Re: Aegis Animator and GDOS.PRG
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <8707090027.AA00727@sol.PRC.Unisys.COM>, starner@SOL.PRC.UNISYS.COM
(Mark L. Starner) says:

> Well, i got a copy of GDOS when I bought DEGAS Elite --- and I thought
> it would be great to put NEOchrome, DEGAS and Aegis Animator all on the
>
> NEOchrome and DEGAS work fine w/GDOS loaded , however the Animator
> leaves splotches and peice of menus and mouse blocks all over the place.

VIP Professional (GEM version) does not work correctly with GDOS
loaded, either.  Little blotches and hosed menu bars all over the place.

Terry Zrust

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 20:18 EDT
From: Goertzel @ DCA-EMS.arpa
Subject: Accessible Archives
To: Info-Atari16 @ SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Ashwin-Ram, in his message of 6/27/87, noted his frustration with the
statemaent that something had been posted to comp.*.atari16 since we on
arpanet can't get at it.  Let me add to the frustration when Konrad Hahn feels
he has made GEMBOOT version 1.10 available because he posted it to the Atarinet
archive at Houston, also not available to arpanet.  I believe HDB ver 2.3 is in
 the same situation.
There is supposed to be a program archive at Canada01 called prog-a16.  What I
available via LISTSERV which is not true of either of the other archives.
At least we could cross-post so that the entire net had access to the postings.

It can't be such an overwhelming technical problem (or even a personnel
problem) to have postings to Atarinet and comp.*.atari16 also posted to
prog-a16.

Herb Goertzel

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 22:50:12 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <3559@watvlsi.UUCP>, rpfeifle@watvlsi.UUCP says:

> What pins have to be connected to what lines, what pins have to be dropped
> etc...
>
> Ron
> --
> Ron Pfeifle                        "What time is it?"
> {decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watvlsi!rpfeifle        "It's the dark ages."
> [better get your Oktoberfest tickets now]            --the Frantics

Ah, but it's not that easy.  The only way I know of to hook a standard SCSI
interface board to an ST via the DMA port is to buy the Berkeley Micro
Systems' hard disk interface board.  This is a board which, when hooked to
the ST DMA port, gives subset of the SCSI standard port.  One can hook a
SCSI hard drive to this port, or can go further by then hooking a
SCSI-to-ST506/ST412 interface.  This would allow hookup of IBM-PC style
hard drives.

While we're on the subject of drives, just WHO has gotten a 5.25" drive
working on the ST?  Would anyone like to mail me the pinouts to make a
cable and the modifications required to the mechanism?  I don't want to
hook it up inside an ST drive, I'd like to plug it in to the back of one.

--

To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: "FCC Information Tax" Flap.
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 87 21:16:18 EDT
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

From: xanth!kent@MCNC.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan)
*************************** the first posting **************************
Subject: HOW TO RESPOND TO THE FCC REGARDING THEIR PROPOSAL
Date: 19 Jun 87 21:44:35 GMT

John D. Hays asked for someone to post a sample letter for addressing
comments to the FCC regarding their future proposal to surcharge
Enhanced Service Providers (such as Tymnet, Telnet, etc.).

First of all, THE FCC HAS NOT RELEASED THE DOCKET!  Sending in
comments before the docket is released would be bad manners.  The FCC
said that the docket should be released in a couple of weeks.  To save
hassle, I'll send out a message when the docket is available for
public consumption, as well as a lead to where you might obtain said
document.  Keep an eye out in these newsgroups.

The FCC General Docket number is 87-215.  The TITLE is "Amendment of
Part 69 of the Commission's rules relating to Enhanced Service
Providers."

An example of how to reply to FCC docket 87-215.

Below you will find such a beast.  This sample is taken from a recent
posting I made to rec.ham-radio to oppose a proposal the FCC was
making to remove certain Amateur Radio frequencies.  It is a tried and
true format that the FCC will consider valid, AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW
THE GUIDELINES LISTED.

Take this opportunity to respond to the FCC.  They love to let things
slide, and to save something, all it takes is a LOT of people writing
letters like what is provided below.  We've done it before for ham
radio -- it can be done here.

If you have questions or concerns, PLEASE email me.  I'll gladly
answer any questions about writing the FCC that I can.  Just ask.

(The example below mentions a list of possible reasons why you might
want to oppose this proposal.  Since the docket hasn't been released,
I'm not going to include any reasons yet.  As soon as I get a copy of
the docket, I'll post reasons and references.  Stay tuned.)

bruce bergman
(my net address is at the bottom of this message)

 ---------------------- HOW TO REPLY TO FCC DOCKETS ---------------------------

The following is a do-it-yourself-kit for responding to FCC docket 87-215
regarding amendment of Part 69 relating to Enhanced Service Providers.

Before I get started with the actual "form letter," let me take this
opportunity to make a few comments regarding responding to the FCC.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T BOTHER WITH THE SAMPLE LETTER STUFF, THE FOLLOWING
INFORMATION IS USEFUL AND IMPORTANT TO THE SUCCESS OF YOUR RESPONSE.

1) If you really want to make an impression on the Commissioners, SEND
   MORE THAN ONE COPY OF YOUR RESPONSE.  Send FIVE copies.  If you want
   to make an even better impression, send ELEVEN copies.  Five copies
   makes sure that your vote counts, as well as provides a copy for each
   of the general groups.  Eleven copies will get your document in the
   'IN' basket of each Commissioner.  If this isn't possible, even ONE letter
   counts as a vote.  Don't send more than 11.  Just 11 will do.

2) DON'T SEND FORM LETTERS!  While I referred to this message as a "form
   letter," it really isn't.  Form letters are usually not worth the effort
   you put into them.  Why, you ask?  Well, while each form letter you
   send gets counted as a vote, it can be rejected later.  If it turns out
   that we win this round, it is entirely probable that OUR OPPONENTS WILL
   ASK TO GO THROUGH EACH AND EVERY RESPONSE.  If they can show that 100
   signature, THEY CAN BE REDUCED TO ONLY ONE VOTE!  Make sure your letter
   is sufficiently different enough not to get caught by this.

3) LIMIT YOUR MAIN ARGUMENTS TO ONE PAGE.  If you want to go into more detail,
   augment your document with additional pages expanding on your original
   comments, keying to those original points.  Number your points.

4) Give REASONABLE REASONS why you oppose this docket.  You can't just say
   that you oppose the rule-making without a sound, reasonable response.
   REMEMBER THAT THE OPPOSITION WILL READ EACH AND EVERY RESPONSE YOU SEND,
   if it can benefit them.  We don't have that type of financial backing;
   they *DO*.  Use some of the samples below if you're stuck for ideas.

5) MAKE A STATEMENT ABOUT WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO.  How important you
   are actually makes a difference.  If you have a certain expertise, or if
   you have a degree of some sort, TELL THEM THAT.  It counts a lot for what
   the commissioners think if they know you are someone who knows what you
   are talking about.  If you run a service, are an administrator, offer
   services to the public, etc., briefly describe what you do and why.

6) DOUBLE SPACE YOUR DOCUMENT.  This can make the difference between your
   response being read or just counted!  If your response is CLEAR, DOUBLE
   SPACED, and CONCISE, it will be read and given a better subjective value.

7) GET YOUR NEIGHBORS INTO THE ACT.  If your friends and/or neighbors are
   familiar with your activities and support you and your activities, ask them
   to write a letter to the FCC expressing their concern over how this docket
   might affect your community.  If you can get local officials to do the
   same, great!  Letterhead and many copies make the BEST response.

8) MAKE SURE THE DATE IS ON THE DOCUMENT.  It is important that the reader be
   made aware that this isn't an old response.  Put the date on your document.
   And, of course, DON'T EVER FORGET TO PUT THE DOCKET NUMBER AT THE TOP!!

9) Lastly, remember that this is going to be a very important point in future
   rule-making efforts.  Any time the FCC wins a battle, whether by apathy or
   some other means, it is a big step for them in the future.  If the FCC
   decides in favor of this docket, it's likely that you will see more of the
   same type later on.  Private agencies will see how easily it went over and
   base future requests on that information.  If we win, it will make it tough
   for anyone to raise the issue again.  If a specific proposal fails to make
   it through a certain number of times (because of the public's efforts), the
   commissioners tend to NOT reconsider it again during their term...

   Even if you don't bother with this proposal, you have a vested interest in
   what happens to it.  Eventually, THIS *WILL* AFFECT YOU!

Okay, enough preaching.  On to the "form letter."  Basically, you will want to
create a letter which has the name of the FCC at the top, AS WELL AS A CLEAR
POINTER TO THE DOCKET NUMBER.  If the people at the FCC have to search for a
docket reference, they'll "loose" your response.

Here's an example first page header:

|                            Before the                                |
|                  FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION                   |
|                       Washington DC  20554                           |
| In the Matter of                    \                                |
|                                      \                               |
| Amendment of Part 69 of the           >  GENERAL DOCKET  87 - 215    |
| Commission's Rules relating to       /                               |
| Enhanced Service Providers          /                                |
| TO:  The Commission                                                  |
|          COMMENTS OF <your full name>, <any professional titles>     |

After you have created the header, you can begin your text, DOUBLE-SPACED.

Begin by expressing who you are and any specific titles, duties, or any
responsibilities that might qualify you as someone who has a vested interest
in what's going before their consideration.  Even only as a user of this
network is suitable.  Now is NOT the time to be humble, however.  Just
tactfully explain what makes you significant to this proposal.  YOU'RE OUT
TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION.  DO SO!  (Don't be verbose, however.)

Then, begin listing the reasons (numbered) WHY you oppose this proposal.
The more reasonable the reason, the better.  BE CONCISE and clear.  If you
need to go into detail, refer the reader to attached pages.

Here's an example:

| I am a user of an Enhanced Service Provider.  I frequently make use  |
| of such services to obtain information from computer information     |
| services that would otherwise be unavailable to me.  The information |
| I obtain allows me to <something...>.                                |

After you've explained who you are, and have shown why you have an interest
in this docket, continue with...

| I strongly oppose the Commission's proposal to surcharge Enhanced    |
| Service Providers for the following reasons:                         |
| 1.  <reason one>                                                     |
| 2.  <reason two>                                                     |
| 3.  <whatever comments you feel appropriate to your situation>       |

Remember, you don't need to be verbose to get your point across.  You
want to make sure the reader understands why you feel the way you do.
If you need additional material in order to accomplish this, feel free to
include additional pages, however if you are only interested in making
your feelings known and don't want to get really in-depth, the simple
statements like the ones pictured above are sufficient to make your point.

Where you can refer to the text of the original document, DO SO!  This is
great for those who like to know exactly what you are referring to.  It
also shows that you have done your homework and are not just spouting off.

The best mode of attack in instances like this is to first explain WHY you
are against the proposal.  Once you have made it clear that there are good
reasons why this wouldn't be a good thing, SUGGEST ALTERNATE IDEAS.  It can
go a long way for your arguments if you can suggest a viable alternative.

There are lots of reasons you can supply.  I've listed about 10 that come
to mind at the bottom of this message.  Please use them if you like, however
any that are pertinent to your local situation are going to be the better

Finally, follow up your reasons with a nice suffix like:

|                                    Respectfully submitted,           |
|                                       <sign in BLACK INK>            |
|                                    <your spelled-out name and title> |
|  <your street address>                                               |
|  <your city, state, and zipcode>                                     |
|  <THE DATE>                                                          |

Black ink is important when you sign your response.  Also, make sure
that you send the original.  Copies for yourself, original to the people
you are writing to.  Please make sure you sign it and date it.

If you have included additional pages, it would be wise to include a
trailer at the bottom of each page, designating what page out of the
total number of pages this is.  Example:

Finally, place a return address on your envelope, place the correct postage
on it, and mail it SOON!  If you can spend the extra cash, don't fold your
is especially useful if you are sending multiple copies.  Chances are that
it will get there in one piece, and will look great sitting on the desk of
some Commissioner (flat).

The key to remember is that you are out to make a feasible point about the
docket.  You don't want to sound like you don't know what you are talking
about, so be sure of your facts.  You can best do this by being concise,
clear, correct, and impressive.  The impressive part comes to bear when you
consider arrangement and looks of your document as well as your status in
the topic under consideration.

If you have any questions, please contact me!  This document was prepared
by Bruce Bergman, N7HAW, Northern San Diego County EC.  To the best of my
knowledge, all the information contained herein is correct.  Comments,
corrections, etc. are welcome and encouraged.

                            *****  Appendix A  *****
                 ***** Possible Responses to Docket 87-215 *****

[To Be Provided]

                               [End of Document]
 --
                 bang!-
allegra!\              \               (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bruceb  (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
noscvax!  /              /
scgvaxd! /     log-hb!--/              TeleSoft, Inc.
ucbvax! /              /               5959 Cornerstone Court
              talaris!-                San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

All opinions are mine.  [ packet: n7haw @ n6atq-1, fido: 103!203 ]

***************************** the second posting ****************************

Subject: Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
Date: 17 Jun 87 21:03:07 GMT

When last we saw our hero, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) ...
>In article <2288@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>>    A terrible piece of news I just read about in the New York Times
>>this morning.  The FCC just voted 4-0 to impose a $4.50 - $5.50 an HOUR
>>tax on people who are using the phone system to transmit information
>>across state lines.

After seeing all of the various versions of this, I decided to contact
the FCC myself and get the facts straight:

In 1983, the FCC adopted an access charge plan where every secondary
user of local telephone services would be charged a tariff based on
the costs of the local exchange. Two groups were exempted from this
tariff -- resellers (those who buy telephone service in bulk and
resell it at reduced prices) and enhanced service providers (data
retrieval, manipulation, and transmission). This year, the resellers
were removed from exemption.

In a couple of weeks, the FCC will announce a *notice*of*inquiry*. Not
a tariff, but a request for comments on a proposed rule change. The
proposal is to add enhanced service providers back into the access
charge plan. Although the local rates will vary, the national average
should be about $0.09/minute.

If you would like a copy of the notice of inquiry and instructions on
how to submit comments, contact International Transcription Services,
(202)857-3800. There will probably be a summary in the Federal
Register. If you would like to make a comment, you may also mail a
letter directly to the FCC, but I am unsure whether they will be
received or acknowledged. Send your letters to

    The Hon. Dennis Patrick, Chairman, FCC
    1919 M Street NW
    Washington, D.C. 20554

In your letter, state that this is in reference to docket number 87-215.
Also, send a copy to your elected representatives.

If you have further queries, you may contact the FCC at (202)632-4047.
Tell them that you have a query about docket number 87-215.
Kenneth Mayer                mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Teacher: "Two plus two equals..."    Student: "Four, but what's a two?"

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/16/87)

554 <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name : sampo

Date:         Wed 15 Jul 87 16:25:41 PDT
Sender: "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@FINHUTC>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #278
To: <atari520@fingate.UUCP>, <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate.UUCP>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, July 15, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 278

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      mediachange problem - (nf)
                   Re: IBM high dense (ity) drives
                             Re: DLII.ARC
                    Re: How to get ALN from Atari
                              VAX XMODEM
                             RE: PC-Ditto
                           Re: IBM emulator
                           Re: IBM emulator
                  Re: Disk R/W times for large files
                               ST blit
                            Lattice C 3.04
                Re: ATARI ST w/hybrid arts smptetrack;
                          Trojan Warning !!

Date: 10 Jul 87 12:41:00 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!infbs!hafer@seismo.css.gov
Subject: mediachange problem - (nf)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Has anyone written a device driver for GEMDOS which simulates
removable media?  E.g., a ramdisk driver which allows changing
of disks?  We want to write a device driver for accessing a
file server and do not know how to convince GEMDOS that
a media-change has taken place.

Udo Hafermann

uucp: hafer@infbs

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 09:28:11 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Smee)
Subject: Re: IBM high dense (ity) drives
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'll go with Moshe on this.  If we took the original sender's 'leave it alone'
literally, we'd all still be using 1/8th meg 8-inch disks.  Historically,
'packing' media hasn't been too painful as long as the physical characteristics
of the media stay the same.  800/1600/6250 bpi tape drives are quite common.
Drives which will read 80-track 5.25 or 3.00 inch disks will also handle
40-track ones.  And, a proper QUAD-density 3.5 drive should do the right
thing to current DD disks.  (And, of course, a DS drive can use SS disks.)

The only real disadvantage is that you must assume the lowest common
denominator when interchanging or distributing disks (SS-DD for 3.5 drives).
Our experience is that most disks stay with the one machine they were
created on, which means that the new QD wins big in saving local stoarge,
the cost being that you've got to remember to keep some DD's around for
transporting data.

Far as costs go, sounds like I should come to the States to buy my disks.
Going price over here (for quality Branded disks) is (in packs of 10) about
6 dollars each for DS, little under 4 dollars for SS.  Sigh...

(Cameras and computers, my 2 hobbies, are distributed without regard for
exchange rates, is my guess.  In general, any given item for either costs
the same IN NUMBERS in the US and the UK, which means, at current exchange
rates, the UK price is about 1.6 times the US one.)

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 87 11:13:03 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!@@seismo.css.gov  (Andreas Toenne)
Subject: Re: DLII.ARC
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <736@ektools.UUCP> bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) writes:
>Simon Poole's program, DLII.ARC was recently posted on GEnie. Last night, the
>GEnie sysops purged it, and left a main banner message saying, in part, that
>bugs had been reported in it and that they urged users who d/l'ed it to
>destroy their copies.
>Simon, thanks for the nice program. I hope you can work out the tangles that
>made the GEnie people nervous.

I wonder what the bugs are ??? I like DLII but I'm getting very nervous too
if this program is really capable of munching my precious data.

    Andreas Toenne
    CS Dept.
    U of Dortmund, W-Germany

    at@unido.uucp
    toenne@unido.uucp
    at@unido.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 87 03:49:30 GMT
From: cbosgd!cwruecmp!bammi@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jwahar R. Bammi)
Subject: Re: How to get ALN from Atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <783@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I talked with Cindy Claveran and found out that she will send the linker,
>along with laser-printed documentation (same content as the .DOC file,
>but nicer-looking), to registered developers who send her $1.50 and
>a disk.

    Kudos to Alan for a very nicely done linker. One small suggestion.
Instead of having a seperate index file, why not put it in the library
archive itself (like ranlib(1)). Look forward to landons Macro Assembler
and the debugger.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi    jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@cwru.edu   <---------Please note change of address

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 11 Jul 87 21:55:37 PDT
From:     johnson%msuhep.hepnet@lbl.arpa
Subject: VAX XMODEM
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    I realize that this is not the place for talk about VAX matters,
especially if they do not directly relate to the ST, but I recieved a
copy (fortran source) to VAXXMODEM.FOR and would really be appreciative
if the person who sent me this program last time would send me another
copy.

    You see I recently through a wildcard in when I was deleting some
similar files and ... oops... it  was gone ( and silly me, I didn't have
a backup).  This is a PD program and it works (worked) great in that it
allowed me to do file transfers using FLASH or Uniterm or any emulator
that supported XMODEM, between my ST and the Vax's at work.

    If anyone knows where I could get this or if anyone wishes to aquire
this (it beats the heck out of Kermit for speed) please drop me a note at the
below address:

    BITNET :  JOHNSON@MSUPA
    HEPNET :  MSUHEP::JOHNSON
    (you may have to go via LBL node to reach me on hepnet- I get Arpanet
    mail (usenet?) at:  JOHNSON%MSUHEP.HEPNET@LBL.ARPA

Thanks,

John Johnson
MSU
Physics Dept.

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 11 Jul 87  22:16:22 EDT
From:     MCOHAN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  RE: PC-Ditto
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I got PC Ditto into my store last week.  We ran Lotus 1-2-3,
Turbo Pascal, Sidekick, GEM :-} , Word Perfect, and a couple
of other things on it.  The good news is, they all worked
perfectly.  No problems.  The bad news is, it's pretty slow,
especially when doing graphics.  But, it WORKS.  So it's slow,
for $89.95, it's a pretty decent clone in my view.

Michael Cohan
   The Computer Bug, Inc.
   The Hampshire Mall
   Hadley, MA 01035    phone (413) 584-7722
   "Authorized Atari Sales & Service"
"Are you questioning my shredding ability?"  -- Oliver North

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 87 21:38:00 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!ljdickey@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: IBM emulator
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <678@hhb.UUCP> rob@hhb.UUCP (Robert R Stegmann) writes:
>I just read in the August issue of Compute! magazine about an IBM PC
>emulator (in software) for the ST.  It is called "pc-ditto" from
>Avant-Garde Systems, 381 Pablo Point Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32225.
>I called Florida information and got a phone number for Avant-Garde,
>which turned out to connect me with some company that refuels Navy jets!
>                                                    he gave me another
>number!  I tried THAT number several times, but it was always busy,
>so I haven't been able to contact Avant-Garde.

I also tried to find Avant-Garde Systems in Jacksonville, but there is
nothing listed with this name on Pable Point Drive.  Something about
address "381 Pablo Point Drive" makes me think of a residential area.
I suspect that the person who wrote PC-DITTO is trying to start a
business out of his home, picked the name "avant-garde", thinking it
was pretty far ahead :-) but has no business phone yet.

If someone in the Jacksonville area has a reverse phone book (such
as a City Directory), they could look it up.

Date: 9 Jul 87 13:35:43 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!mks!wheels@seismo.css.gov
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <678@hhb.UUCP>, rob@hhb.UUCP (Robert R Stegmann) writes:
> I just read in the August issue of Compute! magazine about an IBM PC
> emulator (in software) for the ST.  It is called "pc-ditto".
> Can anybody out there who has any experience with this product or company
> comment?  Does this emulator run at speed, or is it slow?
> Is it real or vapor-ware?

I haven't used it, although I briefly saw it running at the local dealer.
There is much discussion about it on CompuServe, with the concensus being
that it does indeed run almost everything. Its speed depends on the type
of program being run, but seems to range from 50% to 80% of a plain PC.
Some programs suffer from slowness (interpreted BASIC, action games, etc.),
but users report running the usual applications, including communications
programs.

There was some discussion that the author was going to halt production
after only one month, due to large-scale pirating, but the latest posting
says that he has decided to continue as long as sales remain good.

Hey, I don't know anywhere else to get an IBM PC for under $100! Now
you can buy an Atari ST and have an ST, a MAC, and an IBM!  :-)

Date: 10 Jul 87 19:25:14 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!orchid!egisin@seismo.css.gov
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1643@?>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
> But my experiments (when modifying microEmacs, etc) show that, with typical
> text files (<50K), a buffer of 9K (one DS track) yields a performance that
> is very close to that of larger buffers.  That is with standard
> ("slow") formatted disks.  (The performance gradually levels off as you
> increase the buffer size through 4.5, 9 and 18K.)

There isn't any point in making IO buffers a multiple of the
track size when using gemdos IO; it is unlikely the file begins at side 0,
 sector 1.
Making the buffer large is what matters.

I've been using disks formatted with 10 sector/track, and
was wondering if this is within the specs for the floppy controller,
or outside IBM specs, or what. Has anyone had problems with this format?

Does anyone have some C code that does floppy IO at the controller level.
I want to do a "track read". (I don't want assembler, I can get that
from the bios listing).

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 87 10:29:41 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!siesoft!crs@seismo.css.gov  (crs)
Subject: ST blit
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have heard that there is some software out there to allow an ST to become
a terminal somewhat like a blit.  Anybody got any information/software ?

BTW could anybody in the uk who has the ST uucico or the vix software
drop me a line so that I can arrange to be sent copies.

Thanks in advance Chris Smith

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 87 15:29:36 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Smee)
Subject: Lattice C 3.04
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, I finally found a copy of Dhrystone.  I've run it through Lattice 3.04.
With interesting results.  For those of you who've seen figures for other
machines/compilers, the results were:

   No register variables  --  757 Dhrys/sec (66 sec run time)
   Register variables     --  781 Dhrys/sec (64 sec)

520ST, ROM TOS, 50000 iterations.  Figures I'd seen for the previous version
of Lattice would suggest that 3.04 is something like 1.5 to 1.6 times faster
than the last one, for th the sorts of things dhrystone checks -- basically
'typical' integer and char stuff.  (Earlier less formal measurements I've
taken make it look like floating point, not tested by dhrystone, is 8 to
10 times faster with this version than with the previous -- I don't have
whetstone so can't check formally.

I did have trouble with the use of 'command line define' (compiler arg of
-dREG=register) which might have been me but which I think is more likely
a bug.  I had to resort to putting a #define REG register into the source.

Just as a matter of interest, I also ran a version of DHRY which I modified
by changing all 'int' declarations to 'short int'.  (The few things which need
'long int' are specifically so declared and I left them alone.)  I thought
this might give a useful check as most ST compilers default int to short,
while Lattice defaults it to long.  I got a wonderfully anomalous result.
Figures were:

   NO REGISTER VARIABLES -- 833 Dhrys/sec (60 sec) (short ints, remember)
   Register variables    -- 806 Dhrys/sec (62 sec)

Looks like the compiler's got better ideas about what to do with the registers
than the benchmark writers.  I think I shall report this back to MetaComCo
just for fun.

Paul

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 87 16:45:07 GMT
From: hen@bu-cs.bu.edu  (Bill Henneman)
Subject: Re: ATARI ST w/hybrid arts smptetrack;
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Boston University has been growing a digital music studio,+primarily
designed to supply sound for animations producedin our Computer
Graphics Lab.  The studio has a Macintosh, an an Atari 1040ST with B/W
monitor I picked up used for $300.  The studio also has access to
Suns, Encores, and an IBM 3090 (on each of these we have some
student-generated software).  I originally bought the Hybrid Arts MIDI
track because it had the interface box to do SMPTE, but I immediately
fell in love with their sequencing facilities. I use the Mac, (do a
little Jam Factory every morning) but for day-in-day-out work, I use
the Atari w/ Hybrid Arts MIDI track (along with Gen Patch & various
'droids).  They have the cleanest user interface I can find on any
of the packages: somebody inside Hybrid Arts knows how to put together
software that is intuitive to a musician and at the same time feels
right to the compunerd.

Every visitor to the studio who has experience with some other
hardware/software combination (particularly Dr.. T) has told us that
our system is unbelievably much easier to use - they very often end up
grumbling about how their software is too much like a spreadsheet.  I
would sooner give up one of our keyboards than give up the MIDI track.

Another suggestion: I would also say that the B/W monitor is much
better than a color monitor if you are going to be using the software
for any length of time.  Color is very useful for cramming lots of
information on a screen, but your eyes get glazed over much faster.  I
started with an Atari 1040 w/ color monitor, but I took it home as
soon as I got the b&w Atari.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 87 17:10:56 GMT
From: mcvax!botter!ark!kleef@seismo.css.gov  (Patrick van Kleef)
Subject: Trojan Warning !!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Although I don't think there's a large chance the program
will make it across the Dutch borders, it can never harm
to warn the ST-community about the presence of a so called
Trojan Horse..

On my BBS in Amsterdam, Holland, a program has been uploaded
that did in fact destroy the contents of some people's harddisks.
It was described as a calcalutor with a very high accuracy (something
like 300 decimals). Running this calculator produced nothing but
a freshly cleaned harddisk.

So watch out for a program that's called CALCULAT.ARC (or CALCULAT.BAS in
its uncompressed form) and consists of a GfA Basic program. In it
are poorly disguised routines named 'DESTROY' and other names that
should make sirens sound, turn on red lights etc...

In general: always turn off the harddisk when running a downloaded
program, make regular back-ups and distrust downloads in general.
Boy, am I glad I run my BBS on an PC-clone, uncapable of running
ST-Trojans :)

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@FINGATE.BITNET (Mail Delivery Subsystem) (07/16/87)

554 <tripmgr%sampo.fudec@fingate>... Unknown fudec host name : sampo

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, July 15, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 279

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                          Re: Motherboards?
      Re: SCSI drives--how do you connect them to the DMA port?
                 Could an odd format cause problems?
                             MWC contacts
                      timing routines revisited
                          pc ditto, gauntlet
                     DCFORMAT not quite right...
                     ST Phoenix rises from ashes
                        RE: SMALLTALK on Atari
                   Please use "correct" terminology
                IBM floppies // PRINT program wanted?
                   Re: DCFORMAT not quite right...
            experience with Dots Perfect (Epson upgrade)?

Date: 11 Jul 87 20:37:32 GMT
From: psuvax1!vu-vlsi!cbmvax!grr@burdvax.prc.unisys.com  (George Robbins)
Subject: Re: Motherboards?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1114@tekfdi.TEK.COM> mhorne%tekfdi.tek.com@relay.cs.net (Michael T.
 Horne) writes:

> I'm looking for sources of motherboards for the Mac, the ST, and the Amiga.
> I don't know if they are even available, so could someone in the know please
> inform me of the availability of the boards?  I think I heard something
> about Mac motherboards being available, but I need more information.  Any
> info about prices, vendors, and availability would be greatly appreciated.

Amiga 500 main boards are being sold on an OEM basis, currently to several
arcade game manufactures.  Other applications are in the prototyping stage.

Contact Commodore and ask for OEM sales.  Small quantities are also available
through the Commodore service parts channels, but the prices are less
favorable.

--
George Robbins - now working for,    uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing    arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 87 20:54:33 GMT
From: kodak!elmgate!jdg@cs.rochester.edu  (Jeff Gortatowsky)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <35fac4ff.1f6@apollo.uucp> weber_w@apollo.UUCP (Walt Weber) writes:
>In article <3559@watvlsi.UUCP> rpfeifle@watvlsi.UUCP writes:
>>What pins have to be connected to what lines, what pins have to be dropped
>>etc...
>
>I have no connection with BMS except as a VERY HAPPY customer.
>
>--
>Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
>Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

I also purchased a BMS-1000 (way back before they had manuals!).  I'm
using mine with a 42 meg ST506 drive. I mounted the whole shabang in
a PC clone case with the ACB-4000 piggy backed onto the BMS-1000.
The BMS board supports 2 drives (as does their driver) and also throws
in a battery backed up clock.

I too have no connection with BMS except for the fact they gave me a
BMS-1000 in exchange for $125.

Date: 12 Jul 87 20:37:22 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!percival!actor@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Clif Swinford)
Subject: Could an odd format cause problems?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

   Does anyone know if using odd formats could lead to hardware problems?
Here's why I ask: last week I tried using a disk I'd formatted to 83 tracks,
10 sectors per track, using maximum step rate. I put Neochrome on it, then
tried to run it. It crashed in a matter of seconds. Ever since then, low
resolution programs crash in seconds and medium-res ones in from minutes to
hours (Uniterm has crashed three times while I was entering this). Using the
Atari diagnostic cartridge at the local service center, everything in the
machine now tests out as intermittently defective. Intermittently, but not
consistently. Swapping out every socketed chip in the machine has done no
good. Any suggestions?
   BTW - my configuration is: older 520ST (made July '85) with standard RAM,
and a homebrew double-drive setup using the same Chinon drives used in the
1040ST. The drive isn't contributing to the problem; I've tried using other
drives with the same results.

--
     Clif Swinford
                   ..!tektronix!reed!percival!actor                        fnor

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 12:26:10 CET
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
From: HAHN_K%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: MWC contacts

Since i received my copy of MWC, i discovered some really weird problems.
I just don't know if its reasonable to use the digest for communicating them.
Perhaps it would be better to install a special MWC-interest-group, or that
people interested in MWC-contacts send me their mail-adresses, so that i can
reach them directly. What's your opinion?
Klaus.

  --- Klaus Hahn ---
<HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 11:57:53 CET
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
From: HAHN_K%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: timing routines revisited

I finally found a solution for my timing problems; i wrote a little piece
of asm-code (Metacomco) and connected it to another bit of C-code (Lattice
or MWC), wasn't that difficult after all...     I use the A-timer to produce
a 1kHz-interrupt and to provide a counter. Second, i developped a button-
box for reaction-time-experiments, that can be connected directly to the ST
and is checked by the irq-routine every msec. So you can get an input from
the box (up to 8 buttons allowed) that's precisely timed.
If someone's really interested, let me know.

  -- Klaus Hahn --

<HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 87 22:49:30 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!watdcsu!scarlett@seismo.css.gov
Subject: pc ditto, gauntlet
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Just a few comments on PC ditto.....I have used about 30 IBM programs
sucessfully with this emulator.  Such things as Word Perfect, Lotus,
dBase 111plus, all the Borland turbo languages, Microsoft C, Micro
soft Word etc etc all worked fine.
Too bad it is not worth using the emulator...it is really slow.
SI.exe lists the PC Ditto as running at 0.3 pc speed.
The only program I could stand to use was turbo pascal...turbo prolog
was a joke.

Question: I just read a posting about Gauntlet.  Who makes this program
when will it be released in NA and how much?
I NEED this program :)

Scarlett @ Watdcsu
U of Waterloo, Canada

--
This is a signature?

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 87 12:04:26 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Smee)
Subject: DCFORMAT not quite right...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Carrying on with my experiments with swapping 3.5 inch disks between the ST and
an IBM clone, I tried using DCFORMAT's 'put on a MS/DOS header block' feature.
(The disk had been formatted 'normally' (DS, 80 trk, 9 sect) using DCFORMAT.

Our PC (using DOS 3.2) was not at all happy with it.  Was a bit funny, though.
The files (put on on the ST) 'listed' correctly.  DOS had no problems with
the directory (root).  Files less than one cluster long read correctly.
However, files > one cluster were painfully garbaged.  So, something goes
wrong when the IBM has to look at the FAT.  (For short files, it doesn't have
to check the FAT to determine end of file, because of course the length is
contained in the directory entry.)

The only immediately obvious difference between the ST and PC standard formats
(outside the header) is that the ST allocates 5 sectors per FAT and the IBM
allocates 3.  However it is hard to believe that MS/DOS could be stupid enough
to be trapped by this.

In looking at the available MS/DOS documentation, though, I note that there is
a bit of information contained somewhere on the disk (not clear whether header
block or in FAT -- poor doc) which tells MS-DOS whether the medium uses 12-bit
FAT entries, or 16-bit FAT entries.  I suspect (but can't tell due to lack of
definitive documentation about MS/DOS disk format) that DCFORMAT is putting
the disk into a state where one of the machines (probably the ST) thinks that
FAT entries are supposed to be 12 bits, while the other thinks they are
supposed to be 16 bits.  That would very nicely explain the observed behaviour.

Moral?  If you're going to swap disks between a PC and an ST, format them on
the IBM.  DCFORMAT doesn't seem to handle this case correctly yet.

------------------------------

Date: 12 JUL 1987 14:29:04 EST
From: <MARKS-ROGER@YALE.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  ST Phoenix rises from ashes

It seems the ST Phoenix has risen from the ashes, reincarnated in the form
of the Magic Sac.

While Atari has become completely invisible (is it my imagination, or does
this date back to the public stock offering?), David Small and folks at Data
Pacific haved made continuous and dramatic progress on the Magic Sac, to the
point where the Sac (which is a Mac-emulator) is more of a real computer
than the ST is.

Recent additions to the Magic Sac repertoir include double-sided disk drive
support and a new zerostore handler which allows a whole new
realm of applications to run.  Really, there is now very little that won't
run.  The spate of chaotic (i.e., apparently random) crashes which bugged
earlier releases has been solved; there are now very few actions that won't
crash a Mac that have any effect on the Sac.  You can print on your Epson-
compatible if you buy the driver.

David Small is easy to reach on Compuserve, where the Sac discussions are
active.  Beta releases are commonly posted there; one major revision was
offered to users for a mere $10.

Promised additions include hard disk support and a new Magic Drive which lets
the Magic Sac read and write disks in Mac format.  Contrary to some other
companies, Mr. Small has always kept his promises.  He is also honest enough
to avoid promising delivery dates, but keeps his users aware of the state of
progress.

Recently, I had an intermittent hardware failure in the cartridge.  It was
quickly repaired at no charge, even though it was out of warranty.

Although I have no legal connection to Data Pacific, I can't claim I have no
financial connection to them, for they have saved me quite a few dollars by
converting my doorstop into a useful machine.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 10:07:29 EDT
From: csrobe@icase.arpa (Charles S. Roberson)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    The NOVATARI (User Group) has a *LARGE* Library of Public
Domain disks, the list contains a SMALLTALK disk for the ST.  I
meant to get a copy before I left Washington.  I just got a this
month's Current Notes (Nationally Acclaimed User Group newsletter/
magazine) and I will get the address of where to write if anyone
wants it.  Disks are about $4.00 plus P&H.

    The Current Notes ST library index came across the net
a few weeks back in the Atari Digest.  Someone in Canada posted
it.

-chip roberson
csrobe@icase.arpa
...seismo!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe

    1105 London Company Way
    Williamsburg,  VA  23185
    (804) 229-7524

------------------------------

Date:      Mon, 13-JUL-1987 09:32:05.91 CST
From: <davidli%simvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (System Manager)
Subject:   Please use "correct" terminology
To: <info-atari16@score.stanford.edu>

>I just got some bad news from Dave Addison about two of his programs,
>Monopoly and Millebourne. ...
>was a copyright infringment.  So rather than argue, Dave agreed to spread
>the (bad) news that all copies of his Monopoly and Millebourne are to be
>erased.  They now fall under the catagory of pirated software.
                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The poster of this message should have stopped at the word 'erased.' and
left it at that.  The software is NOT pirated, and the term does a disservice
to all ST owners who downloaded or otherwise obtained the two programs in
question.  We haven't "pirated" anything -- Dave Addison simply made a mistake
in programming too closely to the original.

Of course, all users should remove the offending programs from their libraries.
But PLEASE, don't use the word "pirated".  It implies that WE have stolen
a commercial program, and is incorrect terminology.

-- Dave Meile                           davidli@simvax.bitnet

Health Computer Sciences, University of Minnesota
Box 511 UMHC, 420 Delaware St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
(612) 625-3694

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 17:50:24 SET
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.EDU
From: WALDI%DHDIHEP1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: WALDI@DHDIHEP1.BITNET
Subject: IBM floppies // PRINT program wanted?

Date: 13 July 1987, 17:47:18 SET
From: Dr. Roland Waldi          phone (6221) 564334  WALDI    at DHDIHEP1
      Inst. fuer Hochenergiephysik
      Schroederstr. 90
      D-6900 Heidelberg
To:   INFO-ATA at SCORE.ST

Hello Atari-Netters,

there was some discussion on IBM---ST floppy transfer; here are
my experiences: I have an IBM PC connected via 7171 protocol
converter to an IBM mainframe. Only recently I have added a
3 1/2" external drive to the PC, and I'm downloading files
(text and UUEncoded) via KERMIT (MS-Kermit 2.29) to this drive.
I had no problems reading and UUdecoding these files at my
Atari! Furthermore, I can write new files on the floppy,
create new subdirectories ("folders"), and put files into them,
and read anything without any trouble on the IBM-PC, as well as
transferring it via KERMIT to the mainframe (Carets ^ are
translated to EBCDIC "not", as usually in BITNET, but not to tilde).
I can NOT read ATARI-formatted floppies on the PC,
even with an MS-DOS boot sector created by PCFORMAT.
But, as I mentioned, I can create new folders at the ATARI
on a PC formatted disk.
(someone here reported about problems with that, who was he/she?)

Here is a test, how ATARI characters transfer (I have omitted
CR, LF, ESC, SUB, DEL), in ASCII sequence:

0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF

   R.0.1
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?.2.3
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_.4.5
`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ .6.7

R.8.9
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?.A.B
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_.C.D
`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~'.E.F

Looks already messy on the IBM4341! Now my second point:

Is anybody on the net interested in a PD program with the
following features?

- print program sources and other text files (ASCII + Atari characters)
  on a NEC (P6/P7) or compatible printer, connected to the parallel port
- set P6/P7 printer parameters
- variable character widths:  10, 12, 15 or 20 characters/inch
- line spacing:      4,  5,  6,  6.7, 8 or 10 lines/inch
- optional bottom line:  with text and page number
- optional mode:     Draft or NLQ
- optional page eject control character in column one
  (e.g. for FORTRAN ANSI files)
- variable left margin
- variable line width to be used
- variable number of lines per page
- selectable range of lines from the file to be printed

I could also send the source (megamax C), if someone wants to
change it for other brand of printers.
But since there are much similar programs around i hesitate
posting it to the net.
There are more PD programs to come, as soon as I got around and
wrote some short doc.

Roland Waldi

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jul 87 15:59:36 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
Subject: Re: DCFORMAT not quite right...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <1417@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk>, pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) says:

 > Carrying on with my experiments with swapping 3.5 inch disks between the ST
 and
 > an IBM clone, I tried using DCFORMAT's 'put on a MS/DOS header block'
 feature.
 > (The disk had been formatted 'normally' (DS, 80 trk, 9 sect) using DCFORMAT.

 > Our PC (using DOS 3.2) was not at all happy with it. Was a bit funny, though
 > The files (put on on the ST) 'listed' correctly.  DOS had no problems with
 > the directory (root).  Files less than one cluster long read correctly.
 > However, files > one cluster were painfully garbaged.  So, something goes
 > wrong when the IBM has to look at the FAT.  (For short files, it doesn't hav
 > to check the FAT to determine end of file, because of course the length is
 > contained in the directory entry.)

When I modified the boot sector of an ST disk, as instructed a while back
(using Norton's 4.0 on a PS/2 Model 50 running PC-DOC 3.30),  the PC could
dir the disk fine, but any files we tried to copy off would be truncated.
Could this be related in any way?  I was hoping to not have to copy 30
disks to IBM format to get them on a BBS run on an IBM... it would take
weeks!

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 12:41:12 pdt
From: neville@ads.arpa
To: info-ibm-pc@c.isi.edu
Subject: experience with Dots Perfect (Epson upgrade)?

i just picked up a used Epson FX100, and am considering installing the
"Dots Perfect" upgrade (ROMs only, i think).  If anyone has any direct
experience (or even reliable second-hand info) regarding this upgrade,
please reply to me by mail.  Thanks.

                        -neville

U.S. Mail:  Neville D. Newman
        Advanced Decision Systems