[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari management style

qsfa1@unx1.UUCP (Graham Thomas) (07/10/87)

In article <771@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>  I don't give a damn about saving
>Atari's face -- but I *do* care about the quality of the software on
>the ST.  Again, it is stalled somewhere in management, so get out your
>book of stamps and start writing....

Thanks for some plain speaking, Landon.  Does anyone else share my feelings
that Atari's top management don't deserve the good work that's being done
by some of their employees?  Don't the bosses worry at all when people like
Simon Poole, people who have done a lot to enhance Atari products, become
so critical?  Admittedly, Atari was in bad shape when the Tramiels took it
over, but in getting the company back on its feet they seem to be
neglecting product development.  Simon's quite right when he compares the
promises with the reality and finds that nothing much has really happened
over the past year or so.  There comes a time when overblown macho
posturings of the "Business is War" ilk just aren't good enough.  I can't
think of any good commercial or other reason why the software Landon
mentioned shouldn't be released.  Are the Tramiels competent enough to run
Atari, or are they too concerned about behaving like the characters in that
other Dynasty, the one on TV?  Their public pronouncements have more than a
hint of the 'quality' of the TV dialogue, though they really need someone
with the class of Joan Collins to get the mixture right.....

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: qsfa1@uk.ac.sussex.unx1      EARN/BITNET: qsfa1@unx1.sussex.ac.uk

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (07/17/87)

+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ Thanks for some plain speaking, Landon.  Does anyone else share my feelings
+ that Atari's top management don't deserve the good work that's being done
+ by some of their employees?  Don't the bosses worry at all when people like
+
+
+
+ --
+ Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
+  JANET: qsfa1@uk.ac.sussex.unx1      EARN/BITNET: qsfa1@unx1.sussex.ac.uk
+  UUCP:  ..mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!unx1!qsfa1 Phone: +44 273 686758
+---------------------------------------------------------

there seems to be a difference between this generation of 'valley movers
and machers' and the last. The first generation was interested in making
companies, this generation seems to be interested in making money. Unless
Leonard learns how to say 'software developement' and soon, I suspect
that he's going to be spending a lot of time interviewing new programmers.

can you say 'software makes hardware hapeen' ? I knew you could.

P.S. please email flames to me, there's enough noise on the net as is,
i'll post the 'best' of the flames.

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax}!nsc!daisy!turner      Jim Turner