[comp.sys.atari.st] UUENCODED files - corruption over BITNET

andrew@lithium.UUCP (Andrew B Smith) (07/01/87)

Hi,

Could someone tell me the character changes that occure when a UUENCODED
file is sent through an IBM host on BITNET (I think ~ is one).

Thank you,

Andrew

Andrew B Smith		|  UUCP:   andrew@kcl-cs.UUCP
Dept. of Computing,	|  JANET:  UDAC041@UK.AC.KCL.CC.VAXA
King's College London,	|  BITNET,
The Strand,		|  EARN:   UDAC041%VAXA.CC.KCL.AC.UK@UKACRL.BITNET
LONDON WC2R 2LS		|
United Kingdom		|  TPHONE: 01-836-5454 ext: 2239

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (07/15/87)

In article <159@lithium.UUCP> andrew@lithium.UUCP (Andrew B Smith) writes:
>Could someone tell me the character changes that occure when a UUENCODED
>file is sent through an IBM host on BITNET (I think ~ is one).

UUENCODE uses the ASCII characters with values o40 to o137, or o41 to o140
in the case of some recent versions.  Unfortunately not all of these
have a (unique) representation in EBCDIC.  As a result some of these
get trashed when ASCII to EBCDIC translation is done on a host different
from the one doing EBCDIC to ASCII.  (I will assume that all hosts have
their act together sufficiently to give correct results when translating
both ways themselves, but even that is not always true).
The following characters are affected frequently:
  Left and right (square) brackets -- if you are lucky they will turn
                           into left and right braces.
  Caret sometimes turns into tilde.
  Backslash and accent grave have standard EBCDIC representation, but are
not on most IBM print chains / fonts / whatever they keep characters on
these days.  As a result, the corresponding translate tables may also not
be debugged.

All but the shortest UUENCODED files have several occurrences of all the
characters from o40 to o137 (or o41 to o140).  Look at them with your
favorite editor, and you may be able to figure out what substitutions
were made.  If the file is preceded by a copy of the ASCII alphabet
then this job is considerably simpler.

Finally, these hosts may also truncate lines with trailing blanks, and
some UUDECODEs can not deal with truncated lines.  Again, your favorite
text editor should be able to help you out.

Sorry if some of this is more vague than what you had hoped for, but
such is the nature of the beast.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (07/16/87)

In article <1791@umd5.umd.edu> hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) writes:
>In article <159@lithium.UUCP> andrew@lithium.UUCP (Andrew B Smith) writes:
>The following characters are affected frequently:
>  Caret sometimes turns into tilde.

In the copy of CAP sent directly to me, caret got changed to colon.
Since colon already exists in the character set, even the Dumas
uudecode has problems!!!!!
(the copy that came in comp.sys.atari.st was OK)

mike@yetti.UUCP (Mike Clarkson ) (07/18/87)

I just received a few files over BITNET from Europe, all ASCII text files
(c code to be specific). The following characters were munged ->

Left square bracket to lower case c
Right square bracket to exclamation mark
Exclamation mark to vertical bar
Vertical bar to \347 octal.

Heaven help your uuencoded files.
If you see any of this happen, let your postmaster know.
It is important to try and track these munger-*uckers down!

--
Mike Clarkson,		  ...!allegra \			BITNET:	mike@YUYETTI or
CRESS, York University,	  ...!decvax   \			SYMALG@YUSOL

"...the most inevitable business communications system on the planet."
						- ROLM magazine advertisement
 which planet?