[comp.sys.atari.st] rf shield in the cpu

UD138985@NDSUVM1.BITNET (07/19/87)

the extra board in there it is a very tight fit to put the thing back
together.  I was wondering if the RF shield could be left out to make
any more room inside, or will that mess up the electrical operation of
the machine?  Has anyone out there tried this???  I'd appreciate any replys.

Please send any replys to  UD138985 at NDSUVM1.
Thanks in advance for any replys.

                        Bob

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (07/21/87)

in article <238UD138985@NDSUVM1>, UD138985@NDSUVM1.BITNET says:
> DISCLAIMER: Author bears full responsibility for contents of this article.
>
> I was wondering if the RF shield could be left out to make
> any more room inside, or will that mess up the electrical operation of
> the machine?
>                         Bob

Removing the RF shield is not recommended, because it is required to
comply with FCC emissions requirements.  However, it does not affect the
operation of the computer itself.  If you remove the shield, you AND
YOUR NEIGHBORS might get interference on your TV's, and you will
certainly not be able to use your AM radio.  I don't know about ham, CB,
or other radios.

/----------------------------------------------\
\----------------------------------------------/	(APRATT on GEnie)

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (07/22/87)

In article <791@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> in article <238UD138985@NDSUVM1>, UD138985@NDSUVM1.BITNET says:
> >
> > I was wondering if the RF shield could be left out to make
> > any more room inside, or will that mess up the electrical operation of
> > the machine?
> >                         Bob
>
> Removing the RF shield is not recommended, because it is required to
> comply with FCC emissions requirements.  However, it does not affect the
> operation of the computer itself.  If you remove the shield, you AND
> YOUR NEIGHBORS might get interference on your TV's, and you will
> certainly not be able to use your AM radio.  I don't know about ham, CB,
> or other radios.
>
> /----------------------------------------------\
> | Opinions expressed above do not necessarily  |  -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> | reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else. |     ...lll-lcc!atari!apratt
> \----------------------------------------------/	(APRATT on GEnie)

It MAY interfere with the operation of the computer, if a transmitter is
nearby.  Legal ham radio power levels (probably CB, too) can disturb
electronic equipment, including digital equipment.  It makes sense if
you think about it: there are suddenly some weird signals on the bus
(any conductor can be an antenna) and the machine gets very confused.

Remember: if RF can get out, it can also get in!  And vice versa.  Leaky
RF can cause some very bizzarre problems in modern high-speed digital
equipment.

"The ozone overflows with Radio Waves." - Roger Waters

{filler}

--
Ron DeBlock	KA2IKT
	uucp: ...!siesmo!rugters!galaxy!andromeda!argus!ron