[comp.sys.atari.st] 16 Meg Ram Disk

stone@calgary.UUCP (Glen Stone) (07/20/87)

Okay, this is a famous pre-release blurb. I'm currently developing
an expandable ram disk for the ST (actually for SCSI machines).
Right now development is concentrated on the ST SCSI. The ram disk
will be a box that hooks into the hard drive port...yes yes, you
can then plug your hard drives in. The ram disk will appear simply
as a hard disk. I'm developing a chip that will handle all the logic
for the Atari interface and controlling the memory. The whole concept
of this thing is to be "CHEAP". Ideally, the ram disk will be a box
to which you add your favorite dynamic memory chips, 256k, 1Meg, ????

I'm hoping to have the chip in the fab by the end of August, but
one may apply Murphy's computer laws to that. When succesfull then
what????

  Options are:

     - sell the chip
     - sell a kit (chip,box,pcb)
     - sell a box with some memory ready to go

I'm assuming all three may be wanted.

As I no nothing about marketing, I'm in the process of convincing
the Alberta Microelectronic Centre handle the project after the
prototyping is completed.

If the interested people would send them a letter saying that
the would like this thing, it help out it in getting them going.

The address:

Attn: Dale Wlasitz
Alberta Microelectronic Centre
#200, 1620-29 Street N.W
Calgary, Alberta T2N 4L7

Phone (403) 289-2043

There are probably questions, I'll let a few pile up and then answer.

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (07/23/87)

Sounds excellent. I want one for an amiga. You have a large potential
market out there. Good luck!

Hal

csrobe@wmcs.UUCP (Chip Roberson) (07/25/87)

>From: ihnp4!alberta!calgary!stone@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Glen Stone)
>Subject: 16 Meg Ram Disk
>
>Right now development is concentrated on the ST SCSI. The ram disk
>will be a box that hooks into the hard drive port...yes yes, you
>can then plug your hard drives in. The ram disk will appear simply
>as a hard disk. I'm developing a chip that will handle all the logic
>for the Atari interface and controlling the memory. The whole concept
>of this thing is to be "CHEAP". Ideally, the ram disk will be a box
>to which you add your favorite dynamic memory chips, 256k, 1Meg, ????

Does one hook their hard disk into your box?

Does it require software or is it a total hardware device? (hope, hope)!

I thought the 256k and 1Meg chips had different pin-outs and sizes!  Is
this true?  If so, how are you getting around these physical differences?

If this is cheap enough, it could become a great plus for UNIX lovers.
Having a completely external ram disk (i.e. it doesn't take up internal
ram) is perfect for swap space, /tmp, and /bin.  Something like this
could help turn an ST into a (diskless, er, ram disk) workstation.
Now if I only had a TT (file server), a nice big *HIGH HI-RES* mono
screen, and X windows, and Sun *might* have some low end competition.

What kind of work has been done on Ethernet iterfaces to an ST.  My
ST could sure use an expansion bus.

-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!seismo!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe

brinsmead@calgary.UUCP (Mark Brinsmead) (07/29/87)

In article <8707250357.AA12024@wmcs.uucp>, csrobe@wmcs.UUCP (Chip Roberson) writes:

> >From: ihnp4!alberta!calgary!stone@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Glen Stone)
> >Subject: 16 Meg Ram Disk
> >
> >Right now development is concentrated on the ST SCSI. The ram disk
> >will be a box that hooks into the hard drive port...yes yes, you
> Does one hook their hard disk into your box?

Glen Stone has not been seen around lately -- rumour has it that he
took a spill on his motorbike recently, so it might be awhile before
he's back on the net. 'Course he might also be reading this almost as
I type...

   In any case, as I understand what he has told me about his planned
device, it is meant to be a SCSI device just like any other, so you
can daisy-chain with another hard disk, just like normal. (I've not
got a hard-disk myself, but I understand that thisis how multiple HD's
work on Atari.)

> Does it require software or is it a total hardware device? (hope, hope)!

   It is meant to be a completley hardware device. Just plug it into your
SCSI port and use as any other harddisk. (It WILL need the same amount
of software as you will have for a SUPRA or other harddisk.)

> I thought the 256k and 1Meg chips had different pin-outs and sizes!  Is
> this true?  If so, how are you getting around these physical differences?

   This could be a problem... I think Glen is still unsure whether the
ramdisk should be sold as a unit or a kit consisting of some custom
chips and instructions on how to connect them. The kit approach would
surely be cheaper, but few people will be keen on soldering HUNDREDS
of chips by hand.

> If this is cheap enough, it could become a great plus for UNIX lovers.
> Having a completely external ram disk...

   It won't be so lousy as a swap device for a sun workstation either,
and I dont think Glen has forgotten that. As for cheap, we'll have to
see how much the custom chips and PC-boards cost...

				Mark Brinsmead @ University of Clagary

Disclaimer: I really have nothing to do with Glen's project,
            I just think its a great idea, and have talked
            about it with him. I really don't KNOW anything!