[comp.sys.atari.st] call for DUNGEON adventure

XBR3D815@DDATHD21.BITNET (WERNER BRAUN, FB08 KERNCHEMIE) (07/28/87)

Recently i got the old Colossal Cave Adventure for the ST. Many thanks
to the people who made the great job to convert it to C for the ST.

I'm also interested in another Adventure, DUNGEON, which runs on many VAXes.
Perhaps i will try to bring it to the ST, but i don't want to invent the
wheel.
Therefore my question:
Is there anybody out there who has ported this to the ST or is still doing
this ?

The original game was written in FORTRAN, as far as i know, and must be on
some old DECUS-Collections. I'm very new in the world of C, so if i try to
port it i will use FORTRAN if possible. But i don't know anything about the
compatibility of VAX-FORTRAN and PROFORT, so if anybody could give me some
hints i would be very glad.

Werner W. Braun
BITNET: XBR3D815@DDATHD21

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (07/28/87)

In article <8707281450.AA04231@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, XBR3D815@DDATHD21.BITNET (WERNER BRAUN, FB08 KERNCHEMIE) writes:
> I'm also interested in another Adventure, DUNGEON, which runs on many VAXes.
> Perhaps i will try to bring it to the ST, but i don't want to invent the
> wheel.
> Therefore my question:
> Is there anybody out there who has ported this to the ST or is still doing
> this ?

I'm fairly sure that the DUNGEON game you're describing was an ancestor of
Infocom's "Zork" games.  If it starts you outside a house with a mailbox
in front of it, and you enter the house through an open window in the back,
to find yourself in the kitchen, then ZORK I is what you're looking for.
I don't know if Infocom ported any of their games to the Atari offhand...
Perhaps someone else can help out on this one with a more definite answer.

-Antonio Romero      romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU

KJBSF@SLACVM.BITNET (07/29/87)

Date: 29 July 1987, 11:06:52 PST
From: Kevin J. Burnett          x3330                KJBSF    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD
Subject:  re: call for DUNGEON adventure

XBR3D815@DDATHD21.BITNET (WERNER BRAUN, FB08 KERNCHEMIE) writes:
>Recently i got the old Colossal Cave Adventure for the ST. Many thanks
>to the people who made the great job to convert it to C for the ST.
>
>I'm also interested in another Adventure, DUNGEON, which runs on many VAXes.
>Perhaps i will try to bring it to the ST, but i don't want to invent the
>wheel.
You might be interested in knowing that this is essentially the same game
as Infocom's Zork series in an older form.  There are some differences
between Dungeon and the Zorks...
Also, from what I know Zork/Dungeon was originally written in MDL, a language
that mostly resembles an illegitimate child of Lisp.

To sum up, I wouldn't mind a copy, but I'm not sure how Infocom would take
it.
---
Kevin J. Burnett
KJBSF%SLACVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Santa Clara University '88

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (07/30/87)

If you wish to play Dungeon on the ST, you may prefer to just go to a computer
store and buy Infocom's Zork Trilogy. Think of it as a second-generation
Dungeon. Wouldn't you rather pay $50 than port that horrendously long thing
from a VAX, or whatever?
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

Look ma, no copyright!

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (07/30/87)

Infocom has ALL their games on the ST now. Zork I-III are collectively
known as the Zork Trilogy, and available on one disk for $50-$60. Much
cheaper than buying seperately for $40-$50 a shot.
--

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (07/30/87)

In article <1061@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
> I don't know if Infocom ported any of their games to the Atari offhand...
> Perhaps someone else can help out on this one with a more definite answer.

     Most if not all Infocom games are available for all 8 and 16-bit
Ataris.

  --Mark Knutsen
--
_________________________________ Jersey\\\\\\\\ _____________________________
ARPA: knutsen@rutgers.edu       | \\\Atari\\\\\\ | GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN

ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold) (07/30/87)

In article <8707281450.AA04231@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> XBR3D815@DDATHD21.BITNET (WERNER BRAUN, FB08 KERNCHEMIE) writes:
>I'm also interested in another Adventure, DUNGEON, which runs on many VAXes.
>Therefore my question:
>Is there anybody out there who has ported this to the ST or is still doing
>this ?
>
>Werner W. Braun
>BITNET: XBR3D815@DDATHD21

Dungeon has been severely updated and is now called Zork.  It is
sold by Infocom and comes in three parts.  (If I remember correctly,
they even sell the "trilogy" as one product).

--
Eric Griswold
Quote:  3 more of these will make a gallon