[comp.sys.atari.st] Minix for the ST

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (07/28/87)

   Minix will probably not be released for the ST until AT LEAST January of
1988.  The book will not be updated until 1990 (even though PC-MINIX is at
release 1.2 . . .).

   Don't hold your breath.  Apparently it's slow work, although a lot of it
is done (the easy part, I think . . . there have been postings about this
from Andy Tanenbaum in comp.os.minix, and the kernel is being done in
MC68000 assembly right now, at least, some major part of it is).

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (07/29/87)

How about running Minix under the PC-Ditto Emulator. Has anyone ported
the 5 1/4" release over to 3.5"? We are going to be trying it here
tonite, so will post the results. Actually, everything I have tried so
far works great (although Lotus and WS were a little slow), so I don't
expect any major problems.
  -Todd

scottj@cae780.UUCP (08/01/87)

In article <195@stag.UUCP> trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>How about running Minix under the PC-Ditto Emulator. Has anyone ported
>the 5 1/4" release over to 3.5"? We are going to be trying it here
>tonite, so will post the results. Actually, everything I have tried so
>far works great (although Lotus and WS were a little slow), so I don't
>expect any major problems.
>  -Todd

The thing everyone should keep in mind is that MINIX is VERY hardware
dependent.  This means that a software emulator doesn't have a chance.
You will just have to be patient until the official ported version is ready.
(Which should be soon, so I here).

-- Scott

FROM:   Scott A. Jordahl, Tektronix/CAE Systems Division
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!scottj
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!scottj
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!scottj
ADDR:   5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054
AT&T:   [408] 748-4727 [direct]

actor@percival.UUCP (Clif Swinford) (08/02/87)

In article <195@stag.UUCP> trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>How about running Minix under the PC-Ditto Emulator. Has anyone ported
>the 5 1/4" release over to 3.5"? We are going to be trying it here
>tonite, so will post the results. Actually, everything I have tried so
>far works great (although Lotus and WS were a little slow), so I don't
>expect any major problems.
One problem. MINIX runs as a boot disk, and PC-ditto currently won't let
you use MSDOS boot disks. There is supposed to be a way to modify boot
disks so they'll work, but the only copy of MINIX I've had access to was
not mine, so I didn't feel free to alter (or copy) it. If you make it work,
let us all know...

--
     Clif Swinford
                   ..!tektronix!reed!percival!actor                        fnord

apratt@atari.UUcp (Allan Pratt) (08/03/87)

in article <4330@cae780.TEK.COM>, scottj@cae780.TEK.COM (Scott Jordahl) says:

> In article <195@stag.UUCP> trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>>How about running Minix under the PC-Ditto Emulator.
>
> The thing everyone should keep in mind is that MINIX is VERY hardware
> dependent.  This means that a software emulator doesn't have a chance.

I beg to differ.  I don't know about PC-DITTO, but I was involved in the
Xerox 6085 PC-emulation project, and that was done almost entirely
in software.  There was a little hardware assist, but mostly, the 8088's
external devices were emulated with software.  When you said OUT ax,NN
our software emulated the side effects of that instruction.

Note that the 6085's PC option ran on an 80186, so the speed hit of the
software emulation was made up in the faster CPU, but aside from speed,
PC DITTO *could* work just fine.

(Note also that a hardware trick was used to catch the IN and OUT bus
cycles and direct writes to screen memory, but PC DITTO already handles
these problems in software.)