[comp.sys.atari.st] Lots of questions

jesper@diku.UUCP (Jesper L. Lauritsen) (07/20/87)

Hi there!

I have finally decided to purchase an Atari ST and now have some questions and
requests for software. I guess that several of these questions has been
discussed in this newsgroup before, but I am new to the newsgroup (I imagen
other newcomers have some of the same questions). I suggest that you email
replies to me, and I will then summarize to the net. If you have any of the
software requested please don't send the software right away, but send name
and version of the program and an offer to send it later. I will then pick
one of the offers. If you send me a request I will be happy to forward any
software I receive.

1)  What are the newest version availably anywhere of TOS, the Desktop and
    other system software?

2)  What harddisks exist for the ST, and what are there prices?

3)  What C compiler should I get? I now that such questions may start religious
    wars, so I will put up some characteristics of the compiler I am looking
    for:
    - Price is a matter.
    - Fast compilation and run times are nice but not life or dead.
    - I would like an ANSI compiler, and standard UNIX extensions to K&R is a
      must (void,enum and struc. assignment).
    - Lint and make would be very nice.
    - (UNIX) stdio library or something alike is a must. Sources would be nice.
    - There should be a reasonable interface to TOS (do one need the equivalent
      of a resource editor on the Macintosh?)
    - You should either be able to write inline assembler or be able to link
      in assembler routines.

4)  All programs on the net seems to be encoded. Will someone please offer me
    the sources for the encode/decode programs?

5)  Does anybody know of a free/cheap ANSI terminal emulator? VT100 will do
    but not VT52. Tektronix 4014 emulation would be nice. Sources preferred.

6)  Will someone please offer to send Kermit? Sources preferred. A Kermit with
    VT100 emulation and perhaps even Tektronix 4014 emulation would be wonder-
    full.

7)  Has anybody ported Xlisp to the ST? Sources preferred.

8)  Do you have any nice fonts you want to share? Or perhaps a font editor?

9)  Any other freeware you think every newcomer should get?

10) Does there exist any good introductions to (C) programming on the ST that
    don't spend most of the pages to teach programming in general?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help, and hope others can use the
answers/software I get. I return with a summary of the replys.

---------------
Jesper L. Lauritsen, U. of Copenhagen, Denmark
email: jesper@diku.UUCP  (old uucp mailers: ...!mcvax!diku!jesper)

csrobe@wmcs.UUCP (Chip Roberson) (07/25/87)

------------------------------

>From: mcvax!diku!jesper@seismo.css.gov  (Jesper L. Lauritsen)
>Subject: Lots of questions

>I have finally decided to purchase an Atari ST

Brave decision.

>and now have some questions and requests for software....

>2)  What harddisks exist for the ST, and what are there prices?

	SUPRA 20meg		$549.99
	ATARI 20meg		$549.99
(can you guys guess where i found these prices?)

>3)  What C compiler should I get? I now that such questions may start religious
>    wars, so I will put up some characteristics of the compiler I am looking
>    for:

I vote for Mark Williams C.  ($129.99)  It is a whole system including
a unix-like shell, 4 pass compiler (unlike MegaMax which is 2 pass, this
one comes with pre-processor, parser, code generator, disassembler),
many unix utilities, and excellent support!  On floppy disks it is slow,
but with a hard disk and a ram disk, time is negligible.  It has
incorporated some of the dpANSI standard (void, enum and structure
assignment).  It comes with the Make discipline, emacs with source
(their flavor, but still nice),  it does not have a Resource Construction
Set, yet, but I have it first hand from MWC that they are working on
delivering one soon.  You cannot write inline assembler, but linking
in your own assembler routines is trivial.  I'm not sure what you
meant by "(UNIX) stdio library". They have several unix functions,
plus everything that is defined in the K&R de facto standard.  Now
if they only had function prototypes.  (or C++ would be even better)!

>5)  Does anybody know of a free/cheap ANSI terminal emulator? VT100 will do
>    but not VT52. Tektronix 4014 emulation would be nice. Sources preferred.

YES! Uniterm.  It's marvelous.  [Thank you Simon Poole]

>6)  Will someone please offer to send Kermit? Sources preferred. A Kermit with
>    VT100 emulation and perhaps even Tektronix 4014 emulation would be wonder-
>    full.

YES! Uniterm, again.  It's still marvelous.  [Way to go, Simon]

>7)  Has anybody ported Xlisp to the ST? Sources preferred.

You can get XLISP (v 1.7 with source) [#98] and Uniterm (v 1.7b) [#88]
for $4 each plus $1 for every six disks order from:

	Current Notes Library
	122 N. Johnson Rd
	Sterling, VA  22170

You might be able to get a newer version of Uniterm from a LISTSERVer
or some other host on the net.  I know listserv@canada01.bitnet has
a copy, but i don't know what version.

>9)  Any other freeware you think every newcomer should get?

Ask for a list from Current Notes.  I find ARChive, Uniterm, UU*CODE,
to be a must.  I am just starting to look at UUCICO.

>10) Does there exist any good introductions to (C) programming on the ST that
>    don't spend most of the pages to teach programming in general?

You might try Compute!'s ST Applications Guide:  Programming in C.
$19.95.  It also comes with a disk for an extra $16.95.

Write to:
		COMPUTE!'S ST Applications Guide and Disk
		COMPUTE! Publications
		P.O. Box 5038
		F.D.R. Station
		New York, NY  10150

>Jesper L. Lauritsen, U. of Copenhagen, Denmark
>email: jesper@diku.UUCP  (old uucp mailers: ...!mcvax!diku!jesper)

I visited the Collegium in Copenhagen about this time last year and
I thought your city was beautiful.  Very nice people, too!  Your
schnapps was a bit too rough for me, but that Carlsberg beer was
some of the best.  Skol!

-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!seismo!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (08/05/87)

     You can also use IBM hard disks with a special controller.  And there are,
Supra, 10, and 60 megs also.

                                                           Hijacker