[comp.sys.atari.st] 520STFM recommendation for Atari

blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) (06/23/87)

I will soon be buying a 520ST as a MIDI controller, and have been monitoring
various ST info sources for a month or so.

My main reservation about this machine is Atari's "attitude" towards its
users and developers.  I read something this weekend about Atari "not
wanting a 1040 to be hooked up to a TV and used as a game machine" or some
such rot.  I believe that the CUSTOMER will determine what he wants to do
with his computer, and doesn't need Atari's marketing dept. forcing him
to use the machine only for REAL applications.  (I will be buying a mono-
chrome system, and thus will rely on the RF modulator to be able to play
the many games that only run in color.)

Thus I don't expect Atari to listen when I recommend that during manufacture
of the 520 w/ the internal floppy, to please either populate the empty
RAM locations with sockets, or tape the boards before wave solder to facili-
tate easy upgrade to 1MB of RAM.  Your customers will love you for the fore-
sight you show in considering their future needs...

I would love to be pleasantly surprised!

dB   hplabs!hpccc!blevins

brad@looking.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <5330001@hpccc.HP.COM> blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) writes:
>My main reservation about this machine is Atari's "attitude" towards its
>users and developers.  I read something this weekend about Atari "not
>wanting a 1040 to be hooked up to a TV and used as a game machine" or some
>such rot.  I believe that the CUSTOMER will determine what he wants to do
>with his computer, and doesn't need Atari's marketing dept. forcing him
>to use the machine only for REAL applications.

It's true that it's up to the customer, but this doesn't change the fact
that the games are the worst thing to happen to the Atari, and that if
the machine fizzles out, it will be due, in part, to the games.

While Atari couldn't realisticly require developers buying the machine to
sign licences stating they will not develop games, it would probably be
a good idea.

The Atari has better hardware than the Mac or Mac Plus.  Yet it is still
perceived by many to be a games machine, while nobody perceives the Mac
as one.  If there are lots of games, and any customers are buying the
machines "to play games" then a games machine perception develops.
The better the games are, the worse it is.  Who ever heard of somebody
buying an IBM or Mac to play games.  Yes, there are many games available
for these machines, but nobody thinks of them as the raison d'etre of
the machine line.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (07/01/87)

[]

I don't think it's the fact that some people write games for the ST that
gives it a game-machine image.  Lots of games are written for the Mac and
the IBM!  It's that the brand name 'Atari' has historically been firmly
attached to video games.  Perhaps Atari should have sold the ST under a
different trade name (let's see: friend? Amigo?  Oops, forget that...).
Anyway, the fact that many (most?) ST's are sold with the MONOCHROME
monitor is strong evidence for the serious use the ST is put to.

Other obstacles to the development of business software on the ST?  How
about: no GDOS, 40 folders limit, no documentation...

The biggest advantages of the Mac are the multitude of fonts, the application
independent cut-and-paste (including graphics) and the device-independent
graphics output.  All this could be done on the ST --- with GDOS.

The biggest advantages of the IBMs are cheap hard disks and a socket for
a math chip.  No comment.

- Moshe Braner

kevin@LINDY.STANFORD.EDU (Kevin Burnett) (07/01/87)

In article <820@looking.UUCP> Brad Templeton writes:

>While Atari couldn't realisticly require developers buying the machine to
>sign licences stating they will not develop games, it would probably be
>a good idea.
Ugh. If the ST didn't have good game-playing ability, I wouldn't own one
right now.  The ST was supposed to be a 'home' computer when it was brought
out, i.e. be able to play 'Time Bandit' as well as run Publishing Partner or
whatever.

>The Atari has better hardware than the Mac or Mac Plus.  Yet it is still
>perceived by many to be a games machine, while nobody perceives the Mac
>as one.  If there are lots of games, and any customers are buying the
>machines "to play games" then a games machine perception develops.

Oh no! A GAMES MACHINE!  Actually, from the coverage the ST has gotten
in magazines that aren't specific to one brand of computer, the things that
seem to be mentioned the least are the games...

>The better the games are, the worse it is.  Who ever heard of somebody
>buying an IBM or Mac to play games.  Yes, there are many games available

A very good example of a system that flies right in the face of this is
the Apple II series.  The Apple II machines had some of the *best* games
available for any micro, but they weren't perceived as merely game machines.
>the machine line.
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
If this came out sounding like some sort of flame-thrower, sorry, it wasn't
intended to sound nasty...
--
Kevin Burnett
Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre / Santa Clara Class of '88

ljdickey@water.UUCP (07/02/87)

In article <1583@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:

>I don't think it's the fact that some people write games for the ST that
>gives it a game-machine image.  Lots of games are written for the Mac and
>the IBM!  It's that the brand name 'Atari' has historically been firmly
>attached to video games.

I think Moshe is right about this.  On at least two occasions, I have mentioned
Atari to friends when their kids were present.  The kids got all excited and
asked me if I got a 400 or an 800.  Since then, I have been somewhat on the
defensive.  On another occasion, it was the parents who know about the games
machines.  There is a long range view that could be taken here... when these
kids grow up, they may form a large market base for the company.   Remember
when big blue put its boxes into universities and colleges.  I think that
everybody understood that when the students graduated and found their place
in the business world, they would be positively inclined towards blue computers.

						Lee
--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (07/09/87)

In article <5330001@hpccc.HP.COM> blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) writes:

>...  I read something this weekend about Atari "not
>wanting a 1040 to be hooked up to a TV and used as a game machine" ...

To be fair, I believe that what Atari mean when they say things that get
reported like that is:

  We don't want the 1040 to get the reputation of being a machine which
  people only buy to hook up to a TV etc...

The problem is that if the world-at-large gets the idea that 1040's are
primarily games machines, they won't consider them for serious use.  May
not be right or fair, but that's how the market works.

Speaking of which, the 1040 probably *is* a games machine.  I WANT a
1-MegaST; anyone from Atari listening?

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (07/16/87)

In article <1394@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk> pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) writes:

>Speaking of which, the 1040 probably *is* a games machine.  I WANT a
>1-MegaST; anyone from Atari listening?

Yeah, quoting myself.  Ouch.  I should have put a smiley face on that, cause
I've been soundly leapt on (e-mail) by various people who I can't work out a
reply address for, given the sinuous routes involved and my limited auths.

Hey, everybody, I've got a machine.  A mere 520ST, no F, no M, colour and mono,
ss and DS disks, printer, modem, ...  I KNOW it's a good machine.  I know
there are good serious things you can do with it.  I *do* have plans to upgrade
this box come the Autumn, probably to 1 Meg and turn the SS drive into a DS.
But, I want a second one.  For personal reasons, all of my own, and with full
understanding of the similarities and differences (as far as announced) I
would VERY MUCH prefer the second machine to be a Mega box rather than a
normal box.  I'm not gonna tell you why, nothing to do with you.  (And
besides, I doubt I could explain it totally rationally and coherently, but it
revolves around a basic concept that I'd prefer being at the low end of the
high range than being at the high end of the low range.)

And, for PURELY MONEY reasons, I'd like the Mega to be a 1-Mega so's I can
afford it and some added goodies -- like a second colour monitor -- instead
of having only the naked machine.

So, I WANT A 1-MEGA !!!

(P.S. Currently, rumoured marketing plans in the UK indicate that the 520/1040
is going to be sold by the historically 'home entertainment' computer shops;
and that the Mega is going to be pushed thru the historically 'business
machine' dealers.  So maybe I was half right anyway.)

:-)  (just in case)...

view3b5@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (07/20/87)

In article <1436@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk>, pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) writes:
> I *do* have plans to upgrade
> this box come the Autumn, probably to 1 Meg and turn the SS drive into a DS.
> But, I want a second one.  For personal reasons, all of my own, and with full
> understanding of the similarities and differences (as far as announced) I
> would VERY MUCH prefer the second machine to be a Mega box rather than a
> normal box.
>
> And, for PURELY MONEY reasons, I'd like the Mega to be a 1-Mega so's I can
> afford it and some added goodies -- like a second colour monitor -- instead
> of having only the naked machine.
>
> So, I WANT A 1-MEGA !!!

According to the July/August issue of Current Notes you will soon be able
to upgrade your old 520ST to a Maga ST style by changing the case.  I quote
from the article entitled "ST Update":

"Coming soon will be a Mega St case for your 520.  Remove the 520's mother-
board and install it in the new thin-line box.  What does it do for you?
Moves all the serial, parallel, DMA, disk drive and monitor connections to
the box to unclutter your keyboard.  Also gives ample room for 4-Meg boards,
the Blitter and other add-ons.  Deluxe version has built-in fan, power
supply, and set of AC power switches on the front panel like a power master
control box--spike, surge and noise protection, et al.  The hitch!  You
must also buy a new slim-line keyboard with single telephone-type cord
connection.  Another heads-up product if the price is right."

They didn't mention a company's name or release timeframe.  Might be a good
way to get a 1 Meg Mega ST if that is what you want.

Kit Kimes
AT&T-ISL
Naperville, IL
...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) (07/24/87)

In Info-Atari16 Digest Volume 87 : Issue 287
<ihnp4!ihlpe!view3b5@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>  (Kit Kimes) writes:

>"Coming soon will be a Mega St case for your 520.  Remove the 520's mother-
>board and install it in the new thin-line box.  What does it do for you?

>They didn't mention a company's name or release timeframe.  Might be a good
>way to get a 1 Meg Mega ST if that is what you want.

>...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

520?  hmmmm.  What about the 1040?  I think I would like to change cases.
Considering I have already had a heat problem with my Supra, and I plan
an memory upgrade + blitter chip, having a fan and and surge protector
built in would be some nice insurance.  Also, a detachable keyboard would
make my desk more usable that just a computer stand.

Unfortunately, some things that I have read in CN (ages past) have yet to
come true.  They *are* a quality publication, but they don't always verify
the content of their articles.  It seems that they receive articles from
guest authors all over the country, and they don't have the resources to
play super-sleuth.

Has anyone heard about this from a different source?  Especially for the
1040?  I would feel better if I had an address and a date.  There's alot
of vapor floating around out there...

-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!seismo!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
"Must I tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met?
 It's the same ole big umbrella,
 But it's always me who ends up getting wet."   -Sting
						Outlandos d'Amor
						Zenyatta Mondatta
						Ghost in Machine
						Synchronicity
						(any more?)

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (07/26/87)

In article <ihnp4!ihlpe!view3b5@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>  (Kit Kimes) writes:

>"Coming soon will be a Mega St case for your 520.  Remove the 520's mother-
>board and install it in the new thin-line box.  What does it do for you?
>
>They didn't mention a company's name or release timeframe.  Might be a good
>way to get a 1 Meg Mega ST if that is what you want.

The company is Diverse Data Products.
No price/schedule was mentioned.

Bruce D. Nelson, Sr. Appl. Analyst: Software Maint., Tech. Support Svcs.
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650, (716)726-7890
UUCP:   {allegra, seismo}!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
ARPA:   kodak!ektools!bruce@rochester.ARPA

csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) (07/28/87)

i had heard that with the advent of the mega-st's that Atari was going
to cut production costs on the ST's.  to do so, they were going to
start putting 520s into 1040 boxes, and stop producing two casings.
that would explain why a 520 now has (f)loppy disk inside of it and
why a 1040 now has a frequency (m)odulator in it.  i haven't seen any
of these new beasts but that is my guess.

how about it Atari?  is this correct?  i don't want start any wild
rumors, so let's just say that this is speculation until we hear
some "official voice" on the matter.  (hallo? hallo? Atari?)
-c

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (07/29/87)

In article <8707281133.AA11417@work1.icase>, csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
> i had heard that with the advent of the mega-st's that Atari was going
> to cut production costs on the ST's.  to do so, they were going to
> start putting 520s into 1040 boxes, and stop producing two casings.
> that would explain why a 520 now has (f)loppy disk inside of it and
> why a 1040 now has a frequency (m)odulator in it.  i haven't seen any
> of these new beasts but that is my guess.

There are no modulators in the current 1040ST's.

There are a few 1040ST's in this world with modulators, produced as special
items, and some of these may have "leaked" out to consumers.  There is still
no plan to include modulators in production 1040ST's.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (07/30/87)

In article <798@atari.UUcp>, neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:

> There are no modulators in the current 1040ST's.

> There are a few 1040ST's in this world with modulators, produced as special
> items, and some of these may have "leaked" out to consumers.  There is still
> no plan to include modulators in production 1040ST's.

Curiouser and curiouser. I am, as you may understand, quite curious as to
how I became one of the lucky few to get a 1040STfm. I mail ordered it from
Lyco computers, and that very company told me (before my purchase) that a
1040 would NOT have a modulator..
--
Copyright (C) 1987, Bill Wisner.  Redistribution prohibited if redistributor
does not permit further distribution.

UUCP: ..{ihnp4,sdcsvax}!jack!wolf!billw				Unison: WABE

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (08/06/87)

     What's a frequency modulator????   I have one of the earlier 1040's and
I want to know if I have one.

                                           SHELDON CHANG
                                    sun!cup.portal.com!sheldon.hijacker.chang