[comp.sys.atari.st] ST magazine: which is good ??

lean@sbcs.UUCP (08/18/87)

 I'm interested in subscribing to some good Atari ST magazines.  I'm
not too keen on the diskette/programs that come with the magazines.  Am
more interested in the latest news / products / review /technical info.
Any recommendation from fellow netters ??
 Thanks.
....LeAn
--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) (08/19/87)

In article <504@sbcs.UUCP> lean@sbcs.UUCP (Lean l Loh) writes:

>  I'm interested in subscribing to some good Atari ST magazines.  I'm
> not too keen on the diskette/programs that come with the magazines.  Am
> more interested in the latest news / products / review /technical info.
> Any recommendation from fellow netters ??
>  Thanks.
> ....LeAn

There a few GOOD ST magazines.
	ST-Log, published by ANALOG, is a monthly magazine.  It's
  	available with or without disk.  All the program listings are
	in the magazine as well as on the disk.  ST-Log, contians a lot of
	good reviews.  I like it.

	STart, the ST Quartley, published by Antic, is a quartley
	magazine. It's also available with/out the disk, however, the
	listings are NOT in the magazine, there only on disk.

	Compute's ST, published by Compute!, is a quarlty (I think)
	magazine, only available on disk.

	ST Applications, is another good magazine.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

store2@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (08/20/87)

In article <504@sbcs.UUCP>, lean@sbcs.UUCP (Lean l Loh) writes:

>  I'm interested in subscribing to some good Atari ST magazines.  I'm
> not too keen on the diskette/programs that come with the magazines.  Am
> more interested in the latest news / products / review /technical info.
> Any recommendation from fellow netters ??

Two other sources of information comes to mind.  Neither are really
considered magazines but have good a lot of information for ST owners
and would fall into the catagory that LeAn is looking for:

	ST Informer
	909 NW Starlite Plate
	Grants Pass, OR 97526

One year costs $14.95 (12 issues) and includes the current month's PD disk.
You are entitled to purchase future months PD disks at half the normal
price of $5.95.  This is a newspaper style publication and does not
include program listings.

	Current Notes
	122 N. Johnson Rd.
	Sterling, VA 22170

One year costs $20 (10 issues per year) and is my favorite source of
information.  They cover both 8bit and ST news but lately most of it
has been for the ST users.  It is really a combined newsletter for the
Washington DC area users groups.  It is Magazine size and style and
is very professional.  They also sell PD disks which I post to this
newsgroup monthly.  They do not include program listings either.

Hope this helps...

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

fyl@ssc.UUCP (08/22/87)

In article <504@sbcs.UUCP>, lean@sbcs.UUCP (Lean l Loh) writes:
>  I'm interested in subscribing to some good Atari ST magazines.  I'm
> not too keen on the diskette/programs that come with the magazines.  Am
> more interested in the latest news / products / review /technical info.
> Any recommendation from fellow netters ??

For my 2 cents, I like ST Applications.  Why?  Bacuase it seems the most
independent of all the vendors (and thus has less advertising).
They seem real willing to tell you something is a dog if it is and
say good things about reasonable hardware or software.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |

ljdickey@water.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <504@sbcs.UUCP> lean@sbcs.UUCP (Lean l Loh) writes:

>  I'm interested in subscribing to some good Atari ST magazines.  I'm
> not too keen on the diskette/programs that come with the magazines.  Am
> more interested in the latest news / products / review /technical info.
> Any recommendation from fellow netters ??
>  Thanks.
> ....LeAn

In addition to the magazines mentioned by Marc Appelbaum, I like these:

	"ST World" a monthly newspaper published in Roseburg, Oregon
		I think they get NEWS out more quickly.

	"STuser international" published in Chichester, UK.
		Gives a slightly different perspective.

I get them both from my Atari dealer.

I tried one of the "disk" magazines and was sadly disappointed
with the quality of the programs.  I did not find *one* that I
would recommend to anyone.  The programs that I pick up off the
net are far more interesting.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET