[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega ST info

rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) (08/19/87)

I am suprised that the Mega ST pricing info hasn't made its way to the
net. It is creating quite a controvery on GEnie and Atari BBS. Here are
the officially announced prices for the Mega STs.

		2 meg mono	1699
                2 meg color     1899
                4 meg mono      2399
                4 meg color     2599

The 4 meg machines seem a little steep. If it takes 16 1 meg by 1 ram
chips to go from 2 to 4 meg then Atari is charging the customer 43.75
per chip.

This gives me an opportunity to raise a question

Do the 2 meg and 4 meg Megas have the same motherboard
with more ram on the 4 meg? If this is true it would be a matter of
putting in the extra memory to have a 4 meg machine. Even if sockets
had to be soldered in first, this is a lot less radical than the old
1 meg upgrades we used to do on our 520s.

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (08/20/87)

In article <2002@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:

> I am suprised that the Mega ST pricing info hasn't made its way to the
> net. It is creating quite a controvery on GEnie and Atari BBS.

   I'm not at all suprised.  I don't think I've seen Neil Harris on the
net for a couple of months.

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET (08/21/87)

Computers in Houston, TX) and he said that two days ago he had lunch with the
Texas area Atari rep and was told that there are, as of yet, NO official prices
for the Megas (how's that for a run on sentence :)).  How old (or new) is the
info from GEnie/Atari BBS?  Also, if you're reading this note and you're not on
BITNET, I'd appreciate hearing from you--a couple of months ago when I tried to
post notices directly to the net they didn't get much further than two or three
bitnet nodes away from mine....
                               Thanks,
                               Scott Udell, UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (08/22/87)

    To tell you the truth, I kinda glad they are a bit higher.  That's right,
kinda glad.  The reason they are higher is so that the dealers can get a
much larger margin, so they don't have to make it up with software.  This will
also attract more dealers, hopefully, and it will treat the dealers, much
better, there probably will be some heavy discounting.
If that happens, these prices leave no where, and the dealers will get a small
margin on sales.

SHELDON CHANG
cup.portal.com!sheldon.hijacker.chang

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (08/25/87)

As I've mentioned before, the Mega ST pricing here (Switzerland) is pretty
wierd. Only ~500 SFr. ($330) difference between Mega ST-2 and Mega ST-4,
this naturally means that the shops are not really expecting to sell
any ST-2's at all..................

                                 Simon Poole
                                 K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS: be careful, UniTerm 1.8 is coming.....................

neil@atari.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <2975@voder.UUCP>, kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>    I'm not at all suprised.  I don't think I've seen Neil Harris on the
> net for a couple of months.

You have too!  :-)

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil