[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard disks for the ST

geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) (08/25/87)

	I am trying to find out who makes hard disks for the ST. (Other
than the first two (Atari & SUGART?).

	1. Has any one been able to connect one of the many "Generic" hard
disks popular in the MSDOS world to the ST? (e.g. Seagate $300/20meg,
Bernoulli Box, ...). I am sure there must be someone who has done
this...	 it may have ment doing something with the controller?

	2. PC-DITTO: Will a hard disk running under MSDOS work
on an ST running PC-DITTO?

	THANKS
	Geoff S.
--
---> geoffs@brl.arpa
--

trb@stag.UUCP (08/27/87)

In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA> geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:
>	1. Has any one been able to connect one of the many "Generic" hard
>disks popular in the MSDOS world to the ST? (e.g. Seagate $300/20meg,

Yes, although it doesn't really pay to do it just for a 20 meg or so,
since you need to get a scsi adapter board (about $150), drive
($250-$350), and case and power supply ($80-$125), so you end up
paying about the same as if you went mail order on a Supra 20...which
seems to be the best deal around (and a lot quieter than my Supra 30).
But the nice thing about rolling your own is that you can stick
several drives on one controller, as some friends have recently done.

>	2. PC-DITTO: Will a hard disk running under MSDOS work
>on an ST running PC-DITTO?

I have run PC-Ditto from my normal ST hard disk, using the ST hard
disk as program storage, etc with no probs. I would imagine you could
format a hard disk on a PC and then just move it right over to the ST
if you wanted (highly impractical and unlikely that you would be using
a scsi drive on the PC, though). You can use the standard PCDOS 3.2
format and partioning software on a ST hard disk partition if you want
to set up an autoboot drive under PC-Ditto, but I haven't seen any
real need to do so yet. I did run Nortons Utilities on my normal ST
floppies (from within PC-Ditto), and had no problems...has anyone had
the nerve to try any of the disk re-organizers or hard disk cache
programs from PC-Ditto on a normal ST disk partition?

  -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (08/27/87)

    Geoff, Supra also makes hard disks for the ST.  And yes it is possible to
hook up IBM hard drives to an ST.  What you need is some special controller,
and again I forgot the name.  Some of the ST BBSes around here in Silicon Valle
y use IBM hard drives.  Well I'l l make an guess at the name of the cotroller.
MMU and DMA Controller???

Sheldon Chang
cup.portal.com!sheldon.hijacker.chang
Masters of Software BBS 408-371-7630
The Hotel California 408-253-5123

chris@eta.ETA.COM (Chris Torkildson) (08/28/87)

In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA> geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:

>	I am trying to find out who makes hard disks for the ST. (Other
>than the first two (Atari & SUGART?).
>
>	1. Has any one been able to connect one of the many "Generic" hard
>disks popular in the MSDOS world to the ST? (e.g. Seagate $300/20meg,
>Bernoulli Box, ...). I am sure there must be someone who has done
>this...	 it may have ment doing something with the controller?
>
>	2. PC-DITTO: Will a hard disk running under MSDOS work
>on an ST running PC-DITTO?

Supra is probably one of the best known hard disk manufacturers for the Atari
ST. You can buy just the Supra SCSI adaptor board from them. It is a small
board with a cable that plugs into the back of the ST. It has a fifty pin
connector that allows a ribbon cable connection to a SCSI board (such as
an Adaptec or NCR adaptor). The SCSI board can typically control just about
any ST-506 type board, including the large 190-MB Maxtors. I use the Supra
controller with an Adaptec 4000 connected to a CDC Wren 35 MB drive. You have
to find or make your own disk cabinent and power supply and the ribbon cables.
The Supra board cost about $220 6 months ago.

PC-ditto runs fine on this hard disk configuration although you cannot use
the Supra hard disk boot with PC-ditto. You must still boot the system with
the floppy.

freed@trane.UUCP (Erik Freed) (08/28/87)

I have used the Berkeley Micro systems hard disk converter. It is
basically a proprietary ST to SCSI converter and a SCSI to ST506
adaptec controller. It seems to work with an OLD CDC Wren.

--
        Erik J. Freed -Aurora Systems San Francisco, Ca.  ptsfa!trane!freed

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/29/87)

In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA>, geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:
> 	1. Has any one been able to connect one of the many "Generic" hard
> disks popular in the MSDOS world to the ST? (e.g. Seagate $300/20meg,
> Bernoulli Box, ...). I am sure there must be someone who has done
> this...	 it may have ment doing something with the controller?

The BMS interface card converts the Atari DMA port signals into standard
SASI bus signals.  Then just buy a SASI controller for whatever device
you want to talk to.  Works fine.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |

grieggs@devvax.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA> geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:
>	I am trying to find out who makes hard disks for the ST. (Other
>than the first two (Atari & SUGART?).

Several vendors currently have hard disks out for the ST.  The major ones are
Astra, Supra, and Atari.  Astra has one that includes a double-sided floppy
in the same case, a nice bit of packaging.  Supra has a large number of
sizes, ranging up to 250 meg (supposedly).  Atari has a 20 meg.  There are
also a number of third parties selling generic drives, notably here in
So. Cal..  I know at least two people who have gone the generic route, and
seem quite happy with the results.  The only drawbacks to going generic
are lack of support, and the need to forage for both hardware and software
to make it look nice and work.

Personally, I like the Astra, largly due to the packaging.  20meg + 1meg
floppy, in the space of a tall floppy, with no power rat.  I would like
to have more space, tho.

Rumor has it that PC-Ditto will work with a hard disk, but I have not
seen it done yet.

_john
--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (08/31/87)

in article <293@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, grieggs@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) says:

> In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA> geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:
>>	I am trying to find out who makes hard disks for the ST. (Other
>>than the first two (Atari & SUGART?).
> seem quite happy with the results.  The only drawbacks to going generic
> are lack of support, and the need to forage for both hardware and software
> to make it look nice and work.

Berkeley Micro System's Chris Rodin is more than happy to answer any
questions you may have about the BMS-1000 DMA-to-SCSI interface.  We
recently had trouble getting both an ST251 and a cartridge hard disk drive
to work together using the BMS-1000 and an Adaptec ACB4000.  Chris finally
set us straight and the whole thing hums along nicely.  I rate BMS's
support very high.  And it comes with software (very NICE software, I may
add...).

Making it look nice is dependent on how well you forage  :-)

> Personally, I like the Astra, largly due to the packaging.  20meg + 1meg
> floppy, in the space of a tall floppy, with no power rat.  I would like
> to have more space, tho.

I think Astra makes ugly products (home made ones usually look better!) but
then that's a matter of personal choice.

> Rumor has it that PC-Ditto will work with a hard disk, but I have not
> seen it done yet.

PC-Ditto works great on the first partition of my hard disk.  I don't use
the hard disk to boot, but it can be done.

> _john
> --
> John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465
> Uucp: {cit-vax,elroy,chas2}!devvax!grieggs
> Arpa: ...devvax!grieggs@cit-vax.ARPA
--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

turner@daisy.UUCP (09/01/87)

+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ in article <293@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, grieggs@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) says:
+
++ In article <6337@brl-smoke.ARPA> geoffs@brl-smoke.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) writes:
++ Rumor has it that PC-Ditto will work with a hard disk, but I have not
++ seen it done yet.
+
+ PC-Ditto works great on the first partition of my hard disk.  I don't use
+ the hard disk to boot, but it can be done.
+

actually pc-ditto works great anywhere on the hard disk, i just created a
subdirectory (c:\pcdos) copied everything into it that i wanted (from TOS
or PC-DITTO) and booted from the PC/DOS diskette. The directory and it's
subdirectories are equally accessable from TOS and PC/DOS. Speed is about
1/3 of a PC, but i use it for wordperfect so who cares ?

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax}!nsc!daisy!turner      Jim Turner

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (09/02/87)

in article <509@daisy.UUCP>, turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) says:

> actually pc-ditto works great anywhere on the hard disk, i just created a
> subdirectory (c:\pcdos) copied everything into it that i wanted (from TOS
> or PC-DITTO) and booted from the PC/DOS diskette. The directory and it's
> subdirectories are equally accessable from TOS and PC/DOS. Speed is about
> 1/3 of a PC, but i use it for wordperfect so who cares ?

> --
> C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
> {cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax}!nsc!daisy!turner      Jim Turner
> Daisy Systems, 700 E. Middlefield Rd, P.O. Box 7006,
> Mountain View CA 94039-7006.                                   (415)960-0123

Actually, PC-Ditto will not access multiple partitions (just like most
flavors of MS/PC-DOS).  The reason is that since MS-DOS can't, neither will
PC-Ditto.  One can tell PC-Ditto which partition will be its first and
last.  I've now set it up to boot on another partition...

Now if we could only add some slots... :-)