[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory Expansion Question

beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (Robert Beaty) (08/28/87)

<<<<<>>>>>

  I remember hearing about memory expansion for the ST but I
need memory expansion for my already 1Meg-ed 520. I have TOS
in ROM as well. I am looking for at least another Meg in the
case - however that RAM hard disk I remember hearing about
would do nicely as well.
  Can anybody give me any information about memory expansion
that they have personal knowledge of?

		Thanks in advance,
		Bob Beaty
----------
   ... ihnp4!pur-ee!beatyr      <- usenet
  ... beatyr@ed.ecn.purdue.edu  <- arpa-net
   ... beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP       <- UUCP
----------

ljdickey@water.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <6670@pur-ee.UUCP> beatyr@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert Beaty) writes:

>  I remember hearing about memory expansion for the ST but I
>need memory expansion for my already 1Meg-ed 520. ...

A recent issue of "ST World" (Vol II, No 5, there is an article titled
"3 Megabyte 520ST" which describes their experience with a product
called "DoubleThink Plus" which, they said, will take a 520 to
2.5 megabytes and take a 1040 or upgraded 520 to 3 megabytes.  The
suggested retail price is $699, and the company address is listed as

	ThoughtSpace Development
	2450 Warring Street, No 21
	Berkeley, CA 94704
	(415) 845-1415.

The thing installs without any soldering.  You need needlenose pliers
and screwdriver to open the case.  The only negative mentioned by the
article was that booting the system and loading programs take longer,
about 10 seconds per accessory...  and for loading programs, add 15 to
30 seconds.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

wheels@mks.UUCP (09/03/87)

In article <1095@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
> .... "DoubleThink Plus" which, they said, will take a 520 to
> 2.5 megabytes and take a 1040 or upgraded 520 to 3 megabytes.
> ....    The only negative mentioned by the
> article was that booting the system and loading programs take longer,
> about 10 seconds per accessory...  and for loading programs, add 15 to
> 30 seconds.

I noticed the longer time required to start programs when I upgraded
my 520 to 1 meg. According to stuff I have read, including from Atari,
this is because someone (TOS?) clears memory when a program is loaded,
and there is now more to clear. Atari noticed it when they started
contemplating the Megas, so the new ROMs have improved code for this.
--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\' Gerry Wheeler {decvax,ihnp4,seismo}!watmath!mks!wheels
    /ll/// //l' `\\\   Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (09/05/87)

The Mega-ST/blitter ROM's seem to completely solve the problem of slow boots
and slow process launches on large memory systems.  In fact, comparing
a 4 Meg system to a 2.5 Meg, original ROM system, the 4 Meg system is faster.

dgc