[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory upgrades for *1040*ST

marks%berns.DECnet@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("BERNS::MARKS") (08/23/87)

I'd like to get some comments on people's experiences with memory upgrades
for the 1040ST.  The recent flurry of discussion included reports of
upgrades for the "ST", but many were for the 520ST and some didn't say.  I
have been told that, for some reason, expanding the 1040 is supposedly much
harder than doing the 520.  I recall hearing that, for the 1040, the only
feasible upgrade is to 4 Meg, and this may require a new power supply.
Can anyone refute or substantiate this?

			--Roger

------

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (08/25/87)

     I used to call a Atari ST BBS called Dial-a-Hitman ST, and it ran on
a 4 megabyte ST.  I don't remember where I heard this, either here, or on a
local BBS, if it's here, then hear me repeat it.  The ST can be expanded to 16
Megabytes, but it's MMU(I think that's the name) chip limits it to four right
now.  With the New Roms coming it will allow an ST to access up to FOUR
GIGABYTES!!  That's 4000 Megabytes!  Also a BBS called the Simulacron-3
is running on a Mega ST4 and a SX modem right now, it's ATari's Test BBS that
has become a full time BBS.  The number is 408-227-3502.
It's in San Jose, California

Sheldon Chang
cup.portal.com!sheldon.hijacker.chang
Masters of Software BBS 408-371-7630
The Hotel California 408-253-5123

neil@atari.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <649@cup.portal.com>, Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com writes:

> With the New Roms coming it will allow an ST to access up to FOUR
> GIGABYTES!!  That's 4000 Megabytes!

No it won't.  Sorry.

>  Also a BBS called the Simulacron-3
>is running on a Mega ST4 and a SX modem right now, it's ATari's Test BBS that
> has become a full time BBS.  The number is 408-227-3502.
> It's in San Jose, California

Yes, do give it a call.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

mrd@SUN.MCS.CLARKSON.EDU ("Michael R. DeCorte") (09/05/87)

>     Gee maybe I worded something wrong.  From what I heard the new ROM chips
>can address up to one Gigabyte, in the HARD DISK.  Not RAM.  Understand what
>I'm saying???  Well, correct me if I'm wrong.

are you suggesting virtual memory?  Hmmm that could be interesting comming
from a company that can't get memory allocation correct even given a
couple of years.  They also can't seem to figure out how to remember
what directories are in memory - boy directories are easy compared
to page swaping.  Also be cute trying to have virtual memory
accross multiple partitions, remember that bothersome 32 Meg limit
on your partitions, or is it 16 meg I forget.  Oh and let's not forget
the speed penalty.  No I am not saying that VM systems are by nature
slow but Atari has yet to figure out a way to read a disk drive
at a resonable speed.

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (09/07/87)

    It won't give four Gigabyte??  Ugh, I gotta choke some sources.  Namely,
one which you should know, the Reaper.