[comp.sys.atari.st] Returned mail: unknown mailer error 255

MAILER-DAEMON@infbs.UUCP.UUCP (09/07/87)

554 Achim Loerke <loerke@dbsinf6>... unknown mailer error 255

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.edu>
To: Achim Loerke <loerke@infbs.uucp>
Date:         Mon 7 Sep 87 11:27:37 PDT
Sender: INFO-ATARI16 Discussion <INFO-A16@DEARN.uucp>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was INFO-A16@MARIST
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #328

Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, September  7, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 328

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                    Re: Memory Expansion Question
                Wanted: TeX, etc., for Atari ST (usa)
                          Re: Butter Battle
                   Re: Memory upgrades for *1040*ST
                         looking for archives
                        Yet another gem quirk
                     Re: Flash's Kermit Accessory
                    Re: X window system, anyone ?
                         uniterm info needed
                      Uniterm V1.8a 014 bugs...
                           Re: STadel V3.1a
                          Re: Butter Battle
                 Re: need help: lattice c gem access
                           Memory upgardes
                                Idris

Date: 4 Sep 87 22:59:43 GMT
From: tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!dclemans@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dave Clemans)
Subject: Re: Memory Expansion Question
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The Mega-ST/blitter ROM's seem to completely solve the problem of slow boots
and slow process launches on large memory systems.  In fact, comparing
a 4 Meg system to a 2.5 Meg, original ROM system, the 4 Meg system is faster.

dgc

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 87 16:18:00 GMT
From: mckenney@acf3.nyu.edu  (Alan Michael McKenney)
Subject: Wanted: TeX, etc., for Atari ST (usa)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Is there a version of TeX available (in the USA) for the
Atari ST?  I have a 1040ST with a monochrome monitor.
I would also like, if possible, drivers for popular (cheap, I hope)
laser printers, a screen previewer, and maybe a version of METAFONT,
as well as the fonts.  I have occasionally heard reference in this
newsgroup about such a version, but haven't been able to get
any concrete information (who sells it, distributes it, etc.)

Alan McKenney (Courant Institute, NYU)
mckenney@acf2.nyu.edu  (I think we are directly accessible from seismo...)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 87 04:49:49 GMT
From: itsgw!leah!uwmcsd1!marque!ddsw1!gryphon!richard@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(Richard Sexton)
Subject: Re: Butter Battle
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes posted to both
>comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.amiga (or whatever it's called)?  All the
>notes containing both distributions are flames at each other.  After 3 years
>of this, it's pretty tiresome.
                      ^^^^^^^^^

Yes, the flames are tiresome. The stuff about MIDI was good though.

Ok, hear that guys ? No more flames. If you want to do that, move it
to soc.{men|women} and take up your case with cheryl and ray frank.

>If you enjoy this sort of thing, I recommend the "Butter Battle Book" by Dr.
>Suess.
>--

or soc.*

>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
>UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
>GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
>CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

I have a few utilities I've written to drive a postscript printer.
Nothing I'd want to post :-) but if any of you folks out there have
access to a postscript printer, this stuff is fun to play with.

Email me if you have a real need for these.

Dont let those mac people hear this, they'll only brag about their quickdraw...
--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 87 12:13:01 EDT
From: "Michael R. DeCorte" <mrd@sun.mcs.clarkson.edu>
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  Re: Memory upgrades for *1040*ST

>     Gee maybe I worded something wrong.  From what I heard the new ROM chips
>can address up to one Gigabyte, in the HARD DISK.  Not RAM.  Understand what
>I'm saying???  Well, correct me if I'm wrong.

are you suggesting virtual memory?  Hmmm that could be interesting comming
from a company that can't get memory allocation correct even given a
couple of years.  They also can't seem to figure out how to remember
what directories are in memory - boy directories are easy compared
to page swaping.  Also be cute trying to have virtual memory
accross multiple partitions, remember that bothersome 32 Meg limit
on your partitions, or is it 16 meg I forget.  Oh and let's not forget
the speed penalty.  No I am not saying that VM systems are by nature
slow but Atari has yet to figure out a way to read a disk drive
at a resonable speed.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 87 02:03:26 GMT
From: gatech!hubcap!ncrcae!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrpcd!wright!jholbach@mcnc.org  (Jim
 Holbach)
Subject: looking for archives
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    Do any program archives (source or binary) for the st exist
that can be accessed remotely by message similar to the mod.sources
archives?
    Also could some kind soul e-mail me a copy of uudecode that I
could use to decode the UUCODE file that was recently distributed (encoded).
Thanks.

Jim Holbach

jholbach@wright.edu

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 4 Sep 87 22:43 ADT
From: <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Yet another gem quirk
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Nice to hear that Atari is backing away from PC clones and emulators.  Somebody
should lock the lot of them in the Atari compound and not let them out until
they've rewritten the os from top to bottom, including 68020 support...
One thing they could look at is this trick.
My home ST has two drives.  Some of my boot disks have a desktop.inf which
opens windows on both A: and B:, no problem.  However on a couple of occasions
I've used the disks on a 1040ST with only the internal drive.  When it asks
me to insert B disk, I press return, and again when it asks for A, so I get
both windows showing the same disk.  Then I activate and close the B: window
so it only shows A:.  Now...I load an application and start to work.
About this point I start getting the "data on drive A may be damaged" dialog.
If I keep working, it gets weirder.  Requests for files come back with
error statuses.  The file selector shows garbaged names.  When I exit, the
names in the window are trashed.  Resetting doesn't help, but powering
down and booting with a disk that doesn't refer to B: works, and the disk
that had appeared trashed is fine.
This has happened twice, once with an EasyDraw disk and once with Publishing
Partner, and only when my two-drive boot disk is used.
It is easy enough to avoid, but still annoying.  At least one user here
thinks that playing with drive B: on his single drive 1040 leads to trashed
disks...
Oh well.
Don
FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 87 01:01:39 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: Flash's Kermit Accessory

There are at least two freeware or PD Kermit's available for the ST
GEM Kermit by Bernhard Nebel (based on OS9 Kermit) and the one built
in to UniTerm. GEM Kermit is available from Columbia, UniTerm from
various servers, or from myself.
An exerpt from the current UniTerm manual (V1.8a 020):

   UniTerm Kermit capabilities at a glance:

     Local operation:                   Yes
     Remote operation:                  No
     Transfers text files:              Yes
     Transfers binary files:            Yes
     Wildcard send:                     Yes
     ^X/^Y interuption:                 Yes
     Filename collision avoidance:      Yes
     Can time out:                      Yes
     8th-bit prefixing:                 Yes
     Repeat count prefixing:            Yes
     Alternate block checks:            Yes
     Terminal emulation:                Yes (UniTerm)
     Communication settings:            Yes (UniTerm)
     Transmit BREAK:                    Yes (UniTerm)
     IBM mainframe communications:      Yes
     Transaction logging:               No
     Session logging:                   No
     Act as server:                     No
     Talk to server:                    Yes
     Advanced server functions:         No
     Advanced commands for servers:     Yes
     Local file mangement:              Yes
     Handle file attributes:            Yes
     Command/init files:                No
     Command macros:                    Yes (UniTerm)
     Large packets:                     Yes (max 2kB)
     Windows:                           No

Complete enough?

                   Simon Poole
                   K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS: a longer note on the current status of UniTerm (1.8a released,
    2.0 in the works) will be posted to the net next week.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 87 13:31:00 GMT
From: adelie!mirror!datacube!ftw@XN.LL.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: X window system, anyone ?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> store2@ihlpf.UUCP writes:
> In article <5968@prls.UUCP>, gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
> > Has anyone ported the X window server (stand alone or in some type
> > of distributed environment) to the Atari ST hardware ?
> >

> < two paragraphs about OS-9 and X-Windows deleted >
>
> The editor went on to mention that a program called IDRIS is coming out
> with a UNIX (r) like operating system and that they would support
> X-Windows. They mentioned that it was from Software Toolworks.  I don't
> know anything further.  Hope this adds a little useful information.
>

>                     Kit Kimes
>                     AT&T--Information Systems Labs
>                     ...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

Idris is indeed available for the ST.  I don't know about Software Toolworks
association with it, but I'm pretty sure that it is available from some
folks called Computer Tools International in Washington State.  CTI did
the port of Idris to the ST.  The Idris operating system for the 68K and
other machines comes from Whitesmiths, Ltd. in Westford, MA.

                Farrell T. Woods

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group    4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:    617-535-6644;    FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:    ftw@datacube.COM,  ihnp4!datacube!ftw
    {seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!ftw

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 87 01:35:00 GMT
From: sdcrdcf!otto!mirror!datacube!mandy@hplabs.hp.com
Subject: uniterm info needed
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    This is a message for the people who wrote UNITERM or whoever has
    source for it.

    I have Version 1.6G of Uniterm (I think) and I love it.  The only
    problem is that the cursor disappears in 132 column mode which
    means I can only view files but not edit them.  If there is a new
    version or if someone can send me the source I'd be very happy.
    Please post a response to this notesfile or send me mail.

        Thanks,
                Mandy
                ihnp4!datacube!mandy

    Datacube Inc., 4 Dearborn Road, Peabody, Ma.  01960
    (617)-535-6644

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 87 21:51:06 GMT
From: zsr%psuvm.bitnet@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Uniterm V1.8a 014 bugs...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi there...has anyone had any problems with the user-definable function
keys on Uniterm 1.8a 014?  I just downloaded it from a server, and I don't
really know what is the newest version.  It seems that none of the shifted
function keys work (e.g. [shift] [F10]).  The first ten (unshifted) seem to
work, and everything else seems to be fine.  Is it my copy or is it a
Uni-glitch?  By the way, even if it is a Uni-glitch, I think that Uniterm is
one of the best terminal programs availible and many people that I've talked
to feel the same way.  Mr. Poole is to be congratulated and thanked
profusiously.

     -- Chris Johnson
        ZSR @ PSUVM
        CDJ @ PSUECL

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 87 02:07:56 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpg!tainter@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Tainter)
Subject: Re: STadel V3.1a
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3760@ihlpg.ATT.COM>, tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) writes:
>     STadel 3.1a is now officially done, UUCP gateway and all.

It has been pointed out to me that the original posting had Orc's net address
in error.
It was:
...!ihmp4!meccts!stag!pell!orc        (note the "m" in ihmp4)
it should have been
...!ihnp4!meccts!stag!pell!orc        (note the "n" in ihnp4)

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 87 20:36:21 GMT
From: aplcen!jhunix!ins_bjjb@mimsy.umd.edu  (Jared J Brennan)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes posted to both
>comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.amiga (or whatever it's called)?  All the
>notes containing both distributions are flames at each other.  After 3 years
>of this, it's pretty tiresome.
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

   Adding the line
/.*amiga.*/h:j
to your kill file should do the trick.  This should kill everything
crossposted from there (I don't know about TO there, but it probably kills
those, too).  A similar line should work against comp.sys.ibm.pc, if
necessary.

   This was cribbed from somebody's suggestion on how to avoid the
spillovers from rec.arts.startrek and .drwho on rec.arts.sf-lovers.

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 87 20:16:08 GMT
From: aplcen!jhunix!ins_bjjb@mimsy.umd.edu  (Jared J Brennan)
Subject: Re: need help: lattice c gem access
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <285UD138985@NDSUVM1> UD138985@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>I have been trying to use some simple Lattice C GEM ruotines.  Everything
>compiles fine, but when I try to link, all of my GEM calls turn up as
>undefined symbols.  I am linking with the C.LNK file that came with the
>package with the line for the GEM library uncommented.  In the linker
>map fille it lists all of the symbols it takes out of the other libraries
>and the name GEMLIB.BIN but the symbols are still undefined.  I get a .PRG
>file after the link, but it doesn't run.  HELP!  I have sent a letter to
>Metacomcos tech support along with my registration number but have not
>received a response for quite a while.  Can someone who has been successful
>with linking to GEM libraries please tell me what to do???
>               Bob

   While not actually having tried using the GEM libraries at all, I did
find GEMLIB.H mentioned in the Lattice C manual (v.3.03.04) as being
"useful" in programs using GEM calls.

Date: 7 Sep 87 02:22:08 GMT
From: PT!andrew.cmu.edu!mh4x+@cs.rochester.edu  (Mark Edward Hamill)
Subject: Memory upgardes
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Can anybody supply a list of reliable memory upgrades for the 520?

Mark Hamill

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 87 18:47:23 GMT
From: cbosgd!mandrill!bammi@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jwahar R. Bammi)
Subject: Idris
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  Jefferson Software is evaluating Idris. We will put our Modula 2
development system up in the next few weeks.

  Idris looks to be a very powerful development system. It comes with
a lot of tools, and a huge library. The C compiler is very close to
the proposed ANSI standard. It has the POSEX standard library and a lot
of extra libraries to do IPC. It is currently in a 9MB partition on my
HD and runs on a 520 quite nicely. Dial up works and we will try using
the midi ports for a third line in.

  I did a quick benchmark and Idris looks comparable to the speed of
the Alcyon compiler. I will do all the benchmarks bammi did on Idris
including the dhrystone as soon as possable.

  We hope to use Idris (* with other STs running minix *) to develop
in an environment that has tools and supports dial up.

  I am using this account cause I HAD to post, but do not have a feed
from Usenet yet. That should be coming. Till then, we love talking and
are available at:
  JS BBS (602)276-6102  1200 baud PC Pursuitable.
  Bix: JSModula
  GEnie: JSMODULA
  CIS: 73637,1245

  Opinions expressed above are mine and not the opinions of Computer
Tools International (206)838-4990 tell them I sent you, or Case
Western, or J bammi, or my dogs. However, my dog agrees that Idris
is pretty nifty.
  Gary Frederick
  Director Deep Research
  Jefferson Software
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!mandrill!bammi    jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@mandrill.CWRU.edu

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

MAILER-DAEMON@infbs.UUCP ("Mail Delivery Subsystem") (09/08/87)

554 Achim Loerke <loerke@dbsinf6>... unknown mailer error 255

Sender: INFO-ATARI16 Discussion <INFO-A16@DEARN.uucp>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was INFO-A16@MARIST
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #329

Info-Atari16 Digest   Tuesday, September  8, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 329

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                   Re: Memory upgrades for *1040*ST
               ATARI Bans Mailorder 1040 (rather long)
                     PC-Ditto and IBM Boot disks
                       Re: TeX from Tools, Gmbh
                 Re: need help: lattice c gem access
        Re: UniTerm info .... & UniTerm V1.8a 014 bugs .......
                            HPIB interface
                         Re: New VIP version
                    memory upgrades, printer info

Date: 7 Sep 87 06:57:14 GMT
From:
 imagen!atari!portal!cup.portal.com!Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    It won't give four Gigabyte??  Ugh, I gotta choke some sources.  Namely,
one which you should know, the Reaper.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 87 16:28:54 GMT
From: kodak!ektools!bruce@cs.rochester.edu  (Bruce D. Nelson )
Subject: ATARI Bans Mailorder 1040 (rather long)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The following letter was reprinted in an advertisement which appeared
in the "CIA ROM" newsletter:

Atari Corporation
1196 Borregas Avenue
Sunnyvale, California 94088-3427
(408) 745-2000

August 5, 1987

Dear ATARI ST Dealers and Distributors:

I'm sure you have notices the increase in mail order activity on the ATARI ST
product line. Recently, this activity has gotten out of hand.

The 1040 ST product may be sold only though authorized computer dealers who
provide full product support including in and out of warranty service. This
support is not available though mail order operations.

ATARI values and supports its dealer network. We acknowledge our responsibil-
ities in protecting the value of the investment in your ATARI ST dealership.
It is truly unfortunate that some of the biggest mail order operations are
subsidiaries of or are being supported by authorized ATARI ST dealers.

Our desire to support the legitimate dealer network must, at this time, take
precedence over other considerations. There is no room in the ST dealer
network for those who see mail order as a part of their marketing plan.

Therefore, effective with the receipt of this letter, all ATARI ST dealers and
distributors are notified that the following policy is now in effect:

    1. All mail order activity on the 1040 ST is to cease.

    2. ATARI ST DEALERS who elect to continue to engage in mail order sales
       of the 1040ST will risk the forfeiture of their ATARI ST dealership
       authorization.

    3. ATARI DISTRIBUTORS will be responsible for identifying the accounts
       within their territories engaging in mail order activity. If
       the account is a customer of the distributor, the distributor is to
       advise the account of this policy and cancel the dealership if the
       policy is not adhered to. If the account is not a customer of the
       distributor, the distributor is to determine the source of the product
       and advise me so that action can be taken.

    4. ATARI will, immediately, institute a program that will ensure
       compliance by all dealers and distributors with this policy.

    5. ATARI reserves the right to terminate Dealerships/Distributorships at
       ATARI's discretion for violation of this policy.

Despite the clear position of this letter, you may have questions. Please feel
free to call or discuss those questions with your ATARI Sales Representative.

I thank you for your understanding, support and, where appropriate, compliance
in this critical matter.

Yours truly,

August J. Liguori
Vice President Operations
ATARI (US) CORP.
<flame on>

Dear Neil,

Why is ATARI cutting off some of the hands that feed them. As I have
mentioned to you personally and via email, there are still vast areas of
our great country which are not serviced by an "Authorized ATARI Dealer".
Purchasing by mailorder is the only way that persons in these areas can
obtain an Atari ST.

If mailorder is so bad, why do customers do it? 1) They feel they don't need
the "handholding" support that purchasing though a high-priced local dealer
would provide. 2) The high-priced local dealer doesn't provide enough support
to warrant their being a high-priced local dealer. 3) Customers love to save
money.

Many of us true blue Atari loyalists are quite adept at solving almost any
problem which befalls our machines. We've been able to turn our 520's into
1040's and even megas. We've diagnosed almost every bug in TOS and GEM.
I cannot remember a time when any "Authorized Dealer" has EVER answered
correctly a question I have had with my machine.

I agree with ATARI that a strong dealer network needs to be built. Yet we have
a problem here. You can't build a dealer network without customer support,
and you can't get customer support without strong dealers. Every
8-bit and ST I've bought has been mailordered. Mainly because the local
dealers do not offer any more support (to me, anyways) that the mailorder
guys did. Both guys cold sell me the machine. Neither guy could help me
with bugs in (DOS 2 or) TOS. The only  difference is the local guy charges more.

Let's face it. As much as we'd like it to be, an Atari ST is not a "standard"
machine. I can get tons of support for MS-DOS questions at almost any
computer store in town. I can get MAC problems solved at most of the same
stores. But the few and far between Atari dealers don't know enough about
the machines to really help. User's groups, BBS's, GEnie,  CompuServe. Delphi,
and USENET are my sources. Local dealers, never.

Everyone loves to save money. It's no secret how much the difference in prices
is between local and mailorder. I bought 3 major software packages with the
difference in price on my 520.

I can see where, when Atari starts marketing the Mega series, that you could
start at the beginning and enforce a no mailorder rule. But I see the 1040
as mostly a big 520, or actually the machine that you should have released
initially. But if you want to saturate the market with Atari loyalists, you
cannot ban mailorder yet. When you show me local dealers, in every city, with
enough knowledge to support the difference in price, then maybe you can ban
mailorder. But I don't think you are there yet. You're in a Catch-22, and I
don't think you are ready to escape it yet.

Besides that, as I said, there's still lots of cities without Atari dealers -
are you realy going to deny the few loyalists there are in those cities a
chance to buy their machines? If and when you start advertising, will there
be dealers in those cities?

Yes, Atari needs local dealers. Yes, Atari needs to protect the local guys
by doing something about mailorder. But until "Atari ST" becomes a "household"
("officehold" ?) word, until you can build volume demand (advertising?),
until those dealers who take the initial risk are willing to REALLY support
the machine (Why does TOS bomb when there's an underscore in the file name?),
until you can show me why I should support the extra price these local guys
have to charge, then I'll either go mailorder (if I can) or go without my
next ST. It's that simple.

I would love to have local Atari dealers who are as responsive to my needs
as MS-DOS or MAC dealers. I know that by banning mailorder, Atari is attempting
to make the climate more hospitable towards these ends. I don't think you
should ban mailorder, but, rather, find a way that the local dealer can compete
with the mailorder guys.

<flame off>

Sincerely,

Bruce D. Nelson
....!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 1987 13:58-CDT
Subject: PC-Ditto and IBM Boot disks
From: TAC.354TFW-SIX@E.ISI.EDU
To: Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

HELP!

I just bought PC-Ditto and have yet to figure out how to make an
IBM boot disk.  Here's what I have done so far:

Had a friend with a NEC AT Compatible format his 3.5 inch drive
using three different systems (NEC DOS Ver 3.2, PC-DOS Ver 3.2,
and Zenith MS-DOS Ver 3.2).  (Each one separately, of course).
Each time, the disk checked out at 7XX K free.  When I try to
boot from any of those disks though, I get a boot error.  Also,
the IBM 3.5 inch disk files show up in the GEM directory but when
you try to copy or open (like AUTOEXEC.BAT) any of the files I
get a "check disk" report from GEM.  PC-Ditto appears to be
working properly -- ie, I get no indication that there is a
problem until it says to stick the IBM disk in drive A, at which
time I get the boot error.

I was under the impression that the ST could read the IBM 3.5
inch disks without any problem.  If it can, I sure wish somebody
would tell me how.

Any help anyone can provide will be _deeply_ appreciated.

Dennis Scott

PS: The format command was FORMAT B:/S ie, the System WAS
transferred.  I'm using a 1040 Color System with the one internal
drive.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 87 20:13:45 +0200
From: mcvax!ingrid.laas.fr!didier@seismo.CSS.GOV (Didier Giralt)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: TeX from Tools, Gmbh

> I am having some trouble with TeX for the ST as implemented by Tools
> GmbH.  But since I am a novice TeX user, I don't know if they are
> limitations of their package or in my understanding.  Can anyone using
> this version (2.0) help me out?

> With LaTeX, is there anyway to specify a path to the whatever.sty files?
> The only way I've been able to use them is to have them in a root
> directory.  And also with LaTeX, a default font (cmcsc10, I think) can
> not be found unless it is in the same folder as tex.ttp.

> David Huenemoerder, Dept. of Astronomy, Penn. State

Yes, I have the same problems, and so do all the people who bought ST-TeX
from Tools. I called up these guys, and they told me they'd have a new
release fixing the bugs "within two weeks". I waited two months, and nothing
came in the mail. I then wrote them a letter, and didn't get an answer.
I came to the conclusion these people are not pros, and that my money
is wasted. As it is, ST-TeX is barely usable, if at all.

I heard somebody else in Germany is selling a version of TeX for the ST.
Anybody tried it ?

Didier.
-----------------------

Didier Giralt                ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!lasso!didier
LAAS-CNRS
7, av du Colonel Roche         DO NOT USE THE 'reply' FUNCTION OF YOUR MAILER
31077 Toulouse Cedex             TO REACH ME: IT MAY FAIL.  (domain problems)
France

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 87 18:09:15 GMT
From: tektronix!tekig!tekig5!waynekn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Wayne Knapp)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <285UD138985@NDSUVM1> UD138985@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
#I have been trying to use some simple Lattice C GEM ruotines.  Everything
#compiles fine, but when I try to link, all of my GEM calls turn up as
#undefined symbols.  I am linking with the C.LNK file that came with the
#package with the line for the GEM library uncommented.  In the linker
#map fille it lists all of the symbols it takes out of the other libraries
#and the name GEMLIB.BIN but the symbols are still undefined.  I get a .PRG
#file after the link, but it doesn't run.  HELP!  I have sent a letter to
#Metacomcos tech support along with my registration number but have not
#received a response for quite a while.  Can someone who has been successful
#with linking to GEM libraries please tell me what to do???
#               Bob

I spent about 10 hours figuring this one out.  The problem is that you are
compiling with the -n options that allows routine names greater than 8
characters in lenght.  All of the names in GEMLIB.BIN are 8 characters long.

So there are two solutions to this problem.  One is to allow use the first
8 characters of any GEM call.  Another solutions which I've been using is to
redefine the GEM calls.  I have a include file called GEMDEF.H that looks
something like the following:

#define APPL_INIT    appl_ini
#define FORM_ALERT   form_ale
       etc.

Anyway I hope this helps.

                         Wayne Knapp

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Sep 87 03:43:05 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: UniTerm info .... & UniTerm V1.8a 014 bugs .......

Sorry for letting 1.8a 014 slip out, it has two major bugs:
      - shifted function-keys
      - serious Kermit bug (serves me right for using a Var parameter
        where I shouldn't have....)

Both problems have been fixed for over a week and I hope 1.8a 020 will
replace all bad versions real quick.........             ^^^^^^^^
                                                         Current version!

In UniTerm V2.0 the long-awaited cursor in 132 mode is available, plus:

      - underline cursor
      - faster screen output in 80 col mode (<0.3 mS for char without attribute
      - processing of text attributes in 80 col mode is an order of
        magnitude faster (<0.5 mS for a bold character)
      - scrolling has got a bit faster
      - changed replay from 'on purpose slow' to 'incredibly fast' because
        I got sick of people comparing it to other programs. With the result
        that you can't read the replayed output anymore.........

Things that are not done yet, but will be:

      - improved Tek mode + cursor
      - faster zoom
      - overlayed screens (Text|Graphics, if anybody got a good way of doing
        this, please tell me!)

Things that might be done:

      - dialer (why should I do this, I don't even have a modem to test
        it with!)

Projected release date:  as soon as everything is completed and tested
on a color set too (how am I supposed to do that??????)~2 weeks.
This version stands a good chance of net distribution........

                             Simon Poole
                             K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS: BTW 1.8a has got a LOT of improvements over 1.7b and earlier, including
    enhanced Kermit, completly redone macro processor with flow control,
    programs (TOS,TTP & PRG) can be run from UniTerm (you can even use
    a function  key to do this  (and show a fileselector for the arguments))
    etc. etc. etc. ........

PPS: Why is everybody repeating what I said about Atari 3/4 of a year ago?
     They don't listen anyway....(well they seem to have droped the PC-clone
     but then most people agree that it was only produced to stop Amstrad/
     Schneider getting a foothold in the US marketplace, with no intent
     of actually ever making it in to a real product).

PPPS: Apropos Laser printer, what I've heard is that software problems are
     holding it up, well what do you expect from a company that takes
     longer to fix no bugs in an OS, than it takes to write one from
     scratch (non-multitasking)......

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 8 Sep 87 09:04 N
From: <SCTEXT%HDETUD5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  HPIB interface
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I like to interface the 1040ST to some devices with a HPIB (or
GPIB or IEC or IEEE-488) interface.
One way to do it is to buy a standard RS232 to HPIB converter,
but this costs as much as the ATARI itself !!! And maybe it is
slow, because of the serial interface. But the reason I don't
like it, is that I want to use the RS232 port for connecting the
ATARI to a host computer.
What I like to know is if there is a way to connect a HPIB
interface to the cartridge port. Can I buy such an interface or
was there an article in some magazine about it?
I don't want to do really fancy I/O: no need for serving
interrupts. I just want to use some existing plotters and
printers. Thanks for any help.

Ron van Ewijk
Technical University Delft
The Netherlands
Netaddress on EARN (bitnet): sctext@hdetud5

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Sep 87 17:20:54 GMT
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
From: K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Re: New VIP version

ur-tut!mcli@cs.rochester.edu  (Maurice Ling) writes:
>>is not what you expect (very slow in screen handling)
>                         ^^^^^^^^^
>Yup.  Still is.  I don't think that can be helped until the blitter arrives.
>They specifically state this problem in the manual.  It takes more time to
>move the 32K Graphics screen on the ST than the 8K (?) text screen on the IBM.
This is just a rather weak excuse for bad and sloppy programing, have
a look at Tempus (a text editor from CCD, I think it's available in the
US now) to have a look at what kind of speed you can even have in a GEM
program. It is naturally true that you can't scroll the screen as fast
as on a IBM-PC, but you still can do it a LOT faster than VIP does on
a ST.
>>Wim Schaasberg (U00177@HASARA5 on BITNET HEARN)

>Maurice
                  Simon Poole
                  K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 8 Sep 87 14:06:46 GMT
From: cca!m204help@husc6.harvard.edu  (Keith Hedger)
Subject: memory upgrades, printer info
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have a couple of questions that I'm wondering if someone would answer
for me:

1) I am considering the purchase of a printer in the near future....I can't
   afford a laser printer, so can anyone give me some recommendations for
   good letter quality printers ? I would like to spend $350.00-$500.00
   at most. Besides the printer, is there any software that I need to use it ?

2) What is the story on memory upgrades for the 520ST ? Can someone tell me
   what's available ? Can I upgrade to 1 meg, 5 meg....what ??? I would
   appreciate the names of known upgrades that are available and also any
   recommendations or flames concerning specific upgrades. Also, what's a
   totally NON hardware person like myself suppossed to do about getting
   one of these upgrades installed ??
   Any suggestions ????
keith hedger

End of Info-Atari16 Digest