[comp.sys.atari.st] New TOS ROMS + DCFORMAT

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (09/10/87)

1.  I have a 1040ST that I would like to upgrade using the new TOS ROMs.  Are
these available yet, and if so, from where and for how much?  If not, when
will they be available?

2.  I've tried to get DCFORMAT from three sources, including an ARPAnet
archive, but each time I ended up with a corrupt version.  Could someone with
a working version please e-mail a uuencoded binary to me?  Thanx in advance.

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (09/11/87)

I know that the new ROM's are available at least to registered developers (i.e.
the people who paid $300 for the developers kit) at a cost of $70.  I'm not
sure if anybody can order them, but it can't hurt to try.  (or you could see
if you could copy one of the EPROM copies that are floating around :-) ).

In general, unless you have some copy-protected software whose copy-protection
scheme stops working as a result of the fixed floppy driver in the new ROM's,
the new system is very desirable.  In general it's much faster, and in particular
the memory clearing algorithm is now reasonable; adding extra memory doesn't
seem to cause the system to slow down anymore.  Looked at another way, if the
original TOS rom's were divided into a portion written at Atari and a portion
written at DRI, the new ROM's seem to fix all the problems in the Atari written
portion, and a couple in the DRI portion (i.e. speed problems with double mouse
button click detection).

dgc

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (09/14/87)

In article <8709101610.AA04147@ELI.CS.YALE.EDU>, ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) writes:
> 1.  I have a 1040ST that I would like to upgrade using the new TOS ROMs.
> are these available yet, and if so, from where and for how much?  If not,
> when will they be available?

They are NOT available yet, but should appear later this year.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil