[comp.sys.atari.st] Megamac C Answer

DBM%M_ASC%M_MAILNOW@sdr.slb.COM (David Mann) (09/18/87)

From:	ASC::PSI%SNMSN1::SNMSN1::MRGATE::"MRGATE::PSI%DSAVX1::BB_ATARI"  3-SEP-1987 22:11
To:	MRGATE::"M_ASC::DBM"
Subj:	<Atari>  Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #323

From:	PSI%SDRRTR::SDRRTR::MRGATE::"MRGATE::SDR::IN%"Info-Atari16@score.stanford.EDU""  4-SEP-1987 00:07
To:	MRGATE::"M_DSAVX1::BB_ATARI"
Subj:	Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #323

Date: Thu 3 Sep 87 09:40:39 PDT
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@score.stanford.EDU>
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V87 #323
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Maint-Path: Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, September  3, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 323

Date: 31 Aug 87 06:00:01 GMT
From: mcvax!cernvax!jmg@seismo.css.gov  (jmg)
Subject: Re: C debugger info wanted
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
In Info-Atari16 Digest Volume 87 Issue 323,
mcvax!cernvax!jmg@seismo.css.gov writes:
>In article <870824-171250-8201@Xerox> Desaulniers.PA@XEROX.COM writes:
>>Does anyone know of a good symbolic debugger that can be used with
>>Megamax?
>>If not, does anyone know if Megamax is working on a symbolic debbuger to
>>work with their C compiler?
>
>What I want to know is whether Megamax ever issued a version with less
>bugs than the one that I got (1.1 I think).
>At various times many moons ago a new version was promised "real soon now".
>Since then there has been a deafening silence.

Jeff Morgan and Eric (I don't remember his last name) from Megamax visited the
Austin ACE user group meeting this week (3 Sept 87).  Jeff is the Marketing
Director and Eric is one of the principal programmers.  They talked about
their new compiler and demonstrated a pre-Beta test version (which didn't
crash during the demo, so it's not too far from Beta test status).  Some of
the main points they discussed are:

1.  Shell Enhancements:  The shell (which is not required, by the way) now
integrates the editor, compiler, and linker (and other programs) into a
development environment.  In typical usage, the editor, compiler, and linker
are kept RAM resident (ready to run, NOT in a ramdisk) along with the
executable program under development; the shell has a "RUN" command which
compiles and links the source code from an editor window, putting the error
messages (if any) in another editor window, executes the resulting
program, and returns to the editor, all from one command.  On a standard
1040ST, the compile, link, and run cycle for "Hello, world" is less than five
seconds (after the first compile -- the first compile is longer because the
files have to be loaded from disk).

2.  Debugging Aids:  The enhanced shell traps exceptions and will give a
symbolic stack trace back which tells what routine was running and
approximately how far (in bytes) into the routine it was when the exception
occurred (not as good as a full source debugger, but a whole lot better than
some number of black bombs and an immediate return to the desktop!).  Also,
the shell allows the program to be interrupted by typing a control C on the
keyboard (great for regaining control from a program in an endless loop!).

3.  Compiler Enhancements:  The 32K limit is GONE!!!!  Programs are a little
larger since 32-bit absolute addressing is now used, but there are now no
limits on the program size (from the relative PC addressing used in the
previous versions).

4.  Linker Enhancements:  The linker can READ object files in either Megamax
or DRI format (so you can use generic third party routine libraries).

5.  Symbolic Debugger:  Serious consideration, but none announced yet (note
that the new debugging aids in the shell and the speed of the program
modification cycle will make it much more practical to add printf statements
for debugging).

6.  Availability:  They expect to go into external Beta test in the next week;
my guess would be 1 to 3 months before general availability.  Upgrades
will be available to current owners (via notification in their newsletter) (I
don't completely recall the prices they quoted, but I believe they were all
under $50 for updates; free updates for packages purchased in the last month
or so).  The name is being changed with this release to "Laser C".

David Mann, President AACE -
dbm%m_asc%sdr.slb.com@relay.cs.net

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (09/24/87)

In article <8709182225.AA20037@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DBM%M_ASC%M_MAILNOW@sdr.slb.COM (David Mann) writes:

<lots of info on new product>

>6.  Availability:  They expect to go into external Beta test in the next week;
>my guess would be 1 to 3 months before general availability.  Upgrades
>will be available to current owners (via notification in their newsletter) (I
>don't completely recall the prices they quoted, but I believe they were all
>under $50 for updates; free updates for packages purchased in the last month
>or so).  The name is being changed with this release to "Laser C".

Some comments (being the one who asked whether there was life after
Megamax version 1.1).
1. Despite having purchased Megamax, sent off all registration cards etc.
   I have never received any newsletter. In fact, Megamax have never
   answered mail sent directly to them!
2. I wanted a version free of all the bugs which I and others have found.
   I regard that as a moral duty on the part of Megamax, and one which
   should cost me a minimum (disk postage cost). Instead, I see the usual
   example of what I call moral dishonesty, whereby I have to pay for
   a completely new version (which may have new bugs!). This sounds like
   incitement to produce programs with lots of bugs: each time you fix a
   few you put in some added functionality so that you can get more money
   out of the poor sucker who bought the product.

Anyway, it is nice to know that Megamax 2.0 (sorry, Laser C) will be
available "real soon now".