[comp.sys.atari.st] ICON.ARC on RADC-SOFTVAX

csrobe@ICASE.ARPA.UUCP (09/23/87)

I just ftp'd ICON.ARC from RADC-SOFTVAX and when i tried to test the
archives integrety, i got a segmentation fault and arc took a core dump.

the results of 'arc l icon' are:
Name          Length    Date
============  ========  =========
ICONT.DOC        12183   3 Feb 87
An entry in icon.arc has a bad header.  47 bytes skipped.
ICONT.PRG        89309   3 Feb 87
An entry in icon.arc has a bad header.  420 bytes skipped.
ICONX.PRG       100970   3 Feb 87
An entry in icon.arc has a bad header.  483 bytes skipped.
        ====  ========
Total      3    202462
i am sending this to the list becuase i cannot find out the names of
who controls RADC-SOFTVAX (it is not in FILES.DOC, anyway) to tell
them.  if it is my arc program, then somebody tell me, but it has
worked fine so far.  FILES.DOC says that the file came from
INFO/PROG-A16 via listserv@canada01@bitnet.  i will try there and see
if their version is ok.

Does somebody know who runs RADC-SOFTVAX?  How about a inserting a
name of who to contact in the header of FILES.DOC?  Did I miss a
README file somewhere?

thanks,
-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*

nowlin@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Jerry Nowlin) (09/28/87)

In article <8709231535.AA06373@work1.icase>, csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) writes:

> I just ftp'd ICON.ARC from RADC-SOFTVAX and when i tried to test the
> archives integrety, i got a segmentation fault and arc took a core dump.
> Does somebody know who runs RADC-SOFTVAX?  How about a inserting a
> name of who to contact in the header of FILES.DOC?  Did I miss a
> README file somewhere?

There's an official bulletin board supported by the University of Arizona
Icon Project where the latest versions of Icon for the Atari ST, MS-DOS
and other machines can be obtained.  The sources are available there too.
The number is (602) 621-2283.  It runs at 300, 1200 and 2400 baud.  Your
machine should be full duplex, 7 bits, even parity and 1 stop bit.

If you're on Internet you can also get Icon material from the Icon Project
using anonymous FTP from arizona.edu.  The information on what's available
can be obtained by 'cd'ing to icon and getting README.  This information
comes from The Icon Newsletter #23.  I haven't tried this since I'm not on
Internet.  One important note in the newsletter might apply to the original
posting.  "It is essential to use the binary ('image') mode when getting
program material via FTP."

If you just have questions about Icon there are email addresses set up for
that purpose.  They're {allegra,ihnp4,noao}!arizona!icon-project or
icon-project@arizona.edu.  Hope this is useful information.

Jerry Nowlin
(...!ihnp4!ihuxy!nowlin)

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (09/29/87)

I've found that most of the archives on RADC-SOFTVAX are bad.  I've
downloaded several different ARC files, including MicroGnuEmacs, DCFormat and
DCopy19, and they were *all* corrupt.  Others have reported similar problems
with other programs on this machine.  I've switched to using SCORE instead.

I sent a message to Rodney and Marc, who were listed as the maintainers of
the archives in the original announcement, but I never heard from them.
Perhaps someone else is in charge now.

-- Ashwin.