[comp.sys.atari.st] Butter Battle

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (09/03/87)

Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes posted to both
comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.amiga (or whatever it's called)?  All the
notes containing both distributions are flames at each other.  After 3 years
of this, it's pretty tiresome.

If you enjoy this sort of thing, I recommend the "Butter Battle Book" by Dr.
Suess.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes posted to both
>comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.amiga (or whatever it's called)?  All the
>notes containing both distributions are flames at each other.  After 3 years
>of this, it's pretty tiresome.
                      ^^^^^^^^^

Yes, the flames are tiresome. The stuff about MIDI was good though.

Ok, hear that guys ? No more flames. If you want to do that, move it
to soc.{men|women} and take up your case with cheryl and ray frank.

>If you enjoy this sort of thing, I recommend the "Butter Battle Book" by Dr.
>Suess.
>--

or soc.*

>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
>UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
>GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
>CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

I have a few utilities I've written to drive a postscript printer.
Nothing I'd want to post :-) but if any of you folks out there have
access to a postscript printer, this stuff is fun to play with.

Email me if you have a real need for these.

Dont let those mac people hear this, they'll only brag about their quickdraw...
--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (09/06/87)

In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes posted to both
>comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.amiga (or whatever it's called)?  All the
>notes containing both distributions are flames at each other.  After 3 years
>of this, it's pretty tiresome.
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

   Adding the line
/.*amiga.*/h:j
to your kill file should do the trick.  This should kill everything
crossposted from there (I don't know about TO there, but it probably kills
those, too).  A similar line should work against comp.sys.ibm.pc, if
necessary.

   This was cribbed from somebody's suggestion on how to avoid the
spillovers from rec.arts.startrek and .drwho on rec.arts.sf-lovers.

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

ljdickey@water.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <5239@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes ...
>   Adding the line
>/.*amiga.*/h:j
>to your kill file should do ...

Thanks!
Now, how does one limit articles written a particular *author* ?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (09/13/87)

<1101@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <5239@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>>In article <832@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>>>Any chance of erecting a barrier against receiving notes ...
>>   Adding the line
>>/.*amiga.*/h:j
>>to your kill file should do ...
>Now, how does one limit articles written a particular *author* ?

   I think the /h means "look in the header for this string."  Thus, adding
/.*obnoxio@voobah.*/h:j
MIGHT (repeat:  MIGHT) work (and I have no pressing need to test this
myself, so you're on your own.  Don't blame me if you destroy your local
news server along with that particular author's mail 8-) ).

--
"Disclaimers?  We got disclaimers!"
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX
ARPA: ins_bjjb%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_bjjb

grieggs@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (10/05/87)

Neil,  I would like to ask you a (slightly) personal question.

--->	Do you like your job?

I understand that you tend to wind up dealing with people who are not polite,
not intelligent, and not couth.  This is probably depressing to you.  In fact,
judging from some of your recent postings, it is anathema to you.  So, why do
it?  Massive stock ownership, perhaps?

We like you.  Sort of.  We certainly like Atari.  How much would it cost to
hire an individual with infinite patience?  Certainly not infinite money.  I
am truly curious.  Why do you do this to yourself???
--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465