[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari - NeXT agreement?

kimes@ihlpe.UUCP (10/02/87)

The following short blurb is in the Raster Scan column of the 9/28/87
issue of Electronic Engineering Times.

"Atari sources won't confirm or deny rumours that they have been in
negotiation with NeXT Inc. for sharing graphics and memory management
technology.  Atari has already started sampling its 68000-based, 4-Mbyte
Mega system to developers.  Some Mega versions are even fluent in Smalltalk,
living up to the user interface inroads pioneered at Xerox Parc nearly a
decade ago.  Before Comdex, Atari is expected to unveil a variant of the Mega
system that will become the company's Macintosh II challenger.  Little is
known, save that it will likely sport the capability to show 1280 x 960
pixel color and monochrome graphics.  Resolution-wise, that outdoes the
majority of add-on color displays for the IBM-PC and Mac II, operating at
1024 x 760-pixel levels.  But, the Mac has a loyal university following.
And, the midnight oil is already burning at campuses lucky enough to have
worked with Mac II systems this summer.  At the recent Mac Expo in Boston,
dozens of examples of university-developed graphics expertise were on
display.  And, if Apple can continue to support the low-cost talent
available in graduate computer labs, it may stave off lower-priced, equal
or better, computer graphics entries from Atari, or NeXT."

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

juancho@utcsri.UUCP (10/05/87)

In article <2123@ihlpe.ATT.COM> kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:

>The following short blurb is in the Raster Scan column of the 9/28/87
>issue of Electronic Engineering Times.
>
>decade ago.  Before Comdex, Atari is expected to unveil a variant of the Mega
>system that will become the company's Macintosh II challenger.  Little is
>known, save that it will likely sport the capability to show 1280 x 960
>pixel color and monochrome graphics.  Resolution-wise, that outdoes the

	I ask forgiveness of atari for talking about another vapourvare
product.  It seems as though they were busy preparing for another release.

	I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT.

John W. Buchanan                  Dynamic Graphics Project
               			  Computer Systems Research Institute
(416) 978-6619			  University of Toronto

juancho@toronto.CSNET
{allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utdgp!juancho