[comp.sys.atari.st] magic sac,finder5.5,hypercard

nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) (10/05/87)

The latest issue of the Data Pacific newsletter shows that the latest
system (4.1?) and finder (5.5) will work on the sac. I tried moving both over
to the st (800k disk needed this time) but with poor results. I could get the
finder to launch ok if I had previously booted from another disk, but the
new system would not boot. Has anyone had any success with the new system and
finder? - and if so please tell me how you did it.

Has anyone tried Hypercard on the sac yet? I have access to it, I'm just
wondering if its worth moving 800k worth of stuff over.

				Nick S.
				nowhere in particular

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (10/06/87)

In article <5525@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:
>The latest issue of the Data Pacific newsletter shows that the latest
>system (4.1?) and finder (5.5) will work on the sac. I tried moving both over
>to the st (800k disk needed this time) but with poor results. I could get the
>finder to launch ok if I had previously booted from another disk, but the
>new system would not boot. Has anyone had any success with the new system and
>finder? - and if so please tell me how you did it.

Friends of mine succeeded in running Finder 5.5, but using an older
system (like 3.2 or whatever)

>Has anyone tried Hypercard on the sac yet? I have access to it, I'm just
>wondering if its worth moving 800k worth of stuff over.

What a disappointment... HyperCard needs 1 meg of memory or more. It even
runs out of memory (occasionally) on my Mac SE :>
You might wanna go for the real thing ;)

Paul Molenaar

"Just checking the walls"
	-Basil Fawlty-

:
:
:

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (10/07/87)

In article <5525@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:
>The latest issue of the Data Pacific newsletter shows that the latest
>system (4.1?) and finder (5.5) will work on the sac. I tried moving both over
>to the st (800k disk needed this time) but with poor results.

I'm not really up to date on the latest developements in the Magic Sac
(I use a Mac II), but I believe that System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 requires
the 128K Mac Plus ROMs or later, as most of the Hierarchal Filing System
(HFS) is contained in the new ROMs. Data Pacific must be using a specially
patched system file. As for HyperCard, I'm very impressed with it, but
it's barely usable on a floppy disk-only Mac (and ST, I guess). Taken with
it's sample "stacks", H.C. occupies a whopping 2+ Megs of disk space. As
I'm sure you've also noticed, the new System and Finder are also a lot
bigger than the older ones. My system folder, filled with fonts and other
goodies takes up another 2 Megs of disk space, though it could be stripped
down to fit a 400K floppy if needed. This might be a good time to consider
purchasing a hard disk!

nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) (10/08/87)

> In article <5525@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:
> >The latest issue of the Data Pacific newsletter shows that the latest
> >system (4.1?) and finder (5.5) will work on the sac. I tried moving both over
> >to the st (800k disk needed this time) but with poor results. I could get the
> >finder to launch ok if I had previously booted from another disk, but the
> >new system would not boot. Has anyone had any success with the new system and
> >finder? - and if so please tell me how you did it.

Well I did finally get both finder 5.5 and system 4.1 to work on the magic
sac. You must use the DCFormat prg. included with the 4.5 software and
write it as 'executable'. After that all worked well.
						nick S.