[comp.sys.atari.st] Help on laser printers requested

menton@acoustics.nrl.MIL.UUCP (09/30/87)

	What brand & model laser printer should we buy?

	We have several STs at work, serving as terminals to the VAXen/Cray via
UniTerm or AnsiGraf, as database managers, word processors, makers of
viewgraphs with Easy Draw, Publishing Partner and Degas Elite, time managers,
running AC/Fortran, using spreadsheets in VIP Elite, learning C, TeX, etc.
We'd like to add a laser printer output capability to these applications.
Right now, we settle for near-letter-quality and graphics mode outputs from
Epson dot matrix printers.

	Recommendations are solicited.  I think we want a PostScript compatible
laser printer, since PP and (I think) Easy Draw have PostScript drivers. That
would leave out Atari's laser printer, even if it was available.  Email
directly to me, or to the net if you think your ideas might have wider appeal.
Thanks.

					Bob Menton
					ARPAnet: MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (10/01/87)

in article <8709301705.AA20894@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, menton@acoustics.nrl.MIL ("Robert Menton") says:

> 	What brand & model laser printer should we buy?
> 	Recommendations are solicited.  I think we want a PostScript compatible
> laser printer, since PP and (I think) Easy Draw have PostScript drivers. That
> would leave out Atari's laser printer, even if it was available.  Email
> directly to me, or to the net if you think your ideas might have wider appeal.
> Thanks.
> 					Bob Menton
> 					ARPAnet: MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

Publishing Partner supports both the HP and Postscript devices.  The HP
output is much faster, since it doesn't use Postscript.

Easy Draw has a Postscript driver, and an HP GDOS driver is available from
Michtron.

Atari's laser printer has a GDOS driver, it works fine with Easy Draw.  I'm
sure a PP driver will come out for it when the it comes out.

The HP has one of the nicest outputs I've seen since it uses the new Canon
engine.  And it isn't too expensive, but realize that a memory upgrade will
be necessary to do anything useful.

QMS makes a nice Postscript printer (actually a few) but as far as I know
they use the older Canon engine (like in the original HP) and I would stay
away from that. (I think they also support HP emulation)

The Atari printer has very nice output, but (as of now) can only be used on
an ST (that's what I'm told).

To further complicate things, a Postscript board is available for the HP,
and the total cost of the board, the printer, and memory is close to what
the QMS costs.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

--
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon                                    {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!dragon-oatc!dean
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (10/02/87)

[]

IF the Atari laser printer comes out, and IF it is as planned: just the
mechanics, no smarts, THEN it will have as much memory as you'll stuff
into the ST (next year: 4 megs), and will run any page description
language that you will get software for (on an ST disk!).  In other words,
it will be _very_ flexible.  And even when the ST becomes obsolete (i.e.,
as soon as the Mac II becomes available in quantity) the ST+printer as
a package will be a nice printer --- assuming that software will be available
to run it that way, with the input coming from outside of the ST.

But then, we havn't seen a new Atari product in almost two years.

- Moshe Braner

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (10/05/87)

In article <8709301705.AA20894@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, menton@acoustics.nrl.MIL ("Robert Menton") writes:

    [stuff about having STs tied to big UNIX machines was here]
> 	What brand & model laser printer should we buy?
>
> 	Recommendations are solicited.  I think we want a PostScript compatible
> laser printer, since PP and (I think) Easy Draw have PostScript drivers. That
> would leave out Atari's laser printer, even if it was available.  Email
> directly to me, or to the net if you think your ideas might have wider appeal.
We have been using an Atari ST and Publishing Partner to add graphics to
our class materials.  What we do is:
	1. Write the text using troff
	2. Draw graphics and stuff on the Atari
	3. Merge the PP PostScript into the troff stuff using the
	   pass-thru capabilities of ditroff
	4. Print on a LaserWriter using devps, a package that converts
	   ditroff output to PostScript.
With the exception of some bugs in PP, this has worked very well.  Devps
comes with macros and a shell script to include Mac output.  This was
easily modified to work with PP output.  It (devps) also allows a 'forms
flash' capability which we use to print the border on the page and
copyright notices.

EasyDraw, as of a month ago, still didn't have their PostScript driver
working.  The hold up was that they didn't have a PostScript printer.

Now, printer suggestions.  We have a LaserWriter.  It works and was the
only reasonably priced choice when we bought it.  We sell devps and
therefore have customers with many different laser printers.  They vary
from the TI Omnilaser to the Diconix.  The only complaints I have heard
was a debate over print quality on the early Dataproducts model.  The new
one that sounds like a great deal but I have no experience with is the
NEC one.  It has 300 dpi resolution like the rest but uses an LCD shutter
and has a projected life of 600,000 pages.  It is in the $5,000 price
range.

Hope this helps.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX

COLEMANDW@A.ISI.EDU (David W. Coleman) (10/08/87)

For some general information on laser printers the Oct 5,1987 issue of
Infoworld reviewed 7 of the leading laser printers under $2600. The
most expensive of which is the HP Laserjet II retailing for $2600
though I have seen it advertised for under$1900. I have no experience with laser printers to know if they work with the ST but I don't know why not
especially the HP. The HP was also their "overall champ." The review gives
some things to look for in laser printers also. Check it out if you are interested. It
definitely seems to talk about laser printers that are more expensive than the
Atari laser printer, but much easier to get you hands on. The printers they
 reviewed are by C. Itoh, Destiny, Epson, HP, NEC, Oasys and Okidata not
unfamiliar names.

KEN NYGARD are you reading this?

David Coleman
-------

In article <777@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

>Now, printer suggestions.  We have a LaserWriter.  It works and was the
>only reasonably priced choice when we bought it.  We sell devps and
>therefore have customers with many different laser printers.  They vary
>from the TI Omnilaser to the Diconix.  The only complaints I have heard
>was a debate over print quality on the early Dataproducts model.  The new
>one that sounds like a great deal but I have no experience with is the
>NEC one.  It has 300 dpi resolution like the rest but uses an LCD shutter
>and has a projected life of 600,000 pages.  It is in the $5,000 price
>range.
>
>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,

Lasers, lasers, lasers. The TI one looks funny when used with fonts
for other lasers as it is a white on black device, and most others are
black on white devices.

AST sells a (rf)Postscript laser for $3995. QMS has a remarkable line,
ranging from the PS800 (plain old (rf)PostScript) with three fonts
and a 68K @ 7Mhz to the new PS800 II which has 35 fonts and a 16Mhz
68K. They will introduce a 300 dpi color thermal dye transfer printer
next quarter, and have a 68020 color laser in the skunkworks sheduled
for release Q2 88.

There is an (gasp!) Amiga utility called IFF2PS that converts Amiga
IFF files to PostScript and does an absolutly FANTASTIC job of it. If you
guys have any way of converting your stuff to IFF and have access to one
of the 'A-Word' computers its certainly worth a try. It is truly amazing.

Disclaimer: I have a QMS printer, and I may be biased in this respect.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (10/09/87)

In article <1831@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>There is an (gasp!) Amiga utility called IFF2PS that converts Amiga
>IFF files to PostScript and does an absolutly FANTASTIC job of it. If you
>guys have any way of converting your stuff to IFF and have access to one
>of the 'A-Word' computers its certainly worth a try. It is truly amazing.

	Tom Hudson had an article in one of the early issues of STart
magazine about conversion between IFF and Degas/Neochrome.  He
included programs that did a pretty complete job as far as I can
remember (a friend of mine who has an Amiga used Tom's descriptions
of IFF to write some of his own IFF programs);  in fact, I think the
newer versions of Tom Hudson's programs may well have the capability
to save IFF files.   So, to get to the point, someone ought to be able
to port the IFF2PS program from the Amiga to the ST, I can't think of
any reason it shouldn't just fly (after all, there isn't any screen
displaying involved, is there?).  Would someone who can get hold of
IFF2PS source (for the Amiga) mail it to me?  Thanks,

								-ravi

ps: is there a reason not to adopt IFF as a standard in the ST world
also?  At the very least, it should make it easier to send pictures
back and forth between machines, making it possible to do more direct
comparisons, and thus more entertaining machine bashing.. think of all
the fun we could have! 8^) 8^)