[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Linker

edstrom@UNCAEDU.BITNET.UUCP (10/02/87)

There was a mention of new linker from Atari. How does one who is not a
developer (official developer, that is) get a hold of this linker and
what does it cost?

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (10/04/87)

> There was a mention of new linker from Atari. How does one who is not a
> developer (official developer, that is) get a hold of this linker and
> what does it cost?

Good question.  Another one: since ALN works with the Alcyon-based
developer's kit, how can anyone besides official developers make use
of it?  (If other development tools -- Megamax, say -- also use the
Alcyon object format, bear in mind that ALN has not been tested with
them, and that the format itself is not well documented and is open to
different interpretations...)

As far as I know, ALN is not available unless you are an "official"
developer.  Call John Feagans at (408) 745-2000 and see if we can
make an exception.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation        {sun,amdcad,imagen,hoptoad}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those

koster@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Kurt Koster) (10/06/87)

In article <871002095610.0fl@UcEdu.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA> edstrom@UNCAEDU.BITNET writes:

>There was a mention of new linker from Atari. How does one who is not a
>developer (official developer, that is) get a hold of this linker and
>what does it cost?

For that matter, how does an official developer get them?

{ihnp4!msudoc!koster}
Generic Engineering

bammi@mandrill.CWRU.Edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (10/08/87)

In article <859@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>Good question.  Another one: since ALN works with the Alcyon-based
>developer's kit, how can anyone besides official developers make use
>of it?  (If other development tools -- Megamax, say -- also use the

	ALN works quite nicely with PPascal (yuck). Jefferson Modula
can also produce the right format .O files. It seems to me that
Atari could do itself and its developers a favor by freely (or for a
reasonable fee or whatever) distributing ALN, thereby encouraging everyone
to use a common format.
	Now that Atari "officially" sells MWC kits, will ALN work  with
MW .O format too??
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!mandrill!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@mandrill.CWRU.edu

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (10/09/87)

> 	Now that Atari "officially" sells MWC kits, will ALN work  with
> MW .O format too??

No -- ALN is specifically for Alcyon.

... but I've heard rumblings from Mark Williams to the effect that
their linker needs an update or a re-write, so they have at least
THOUGHT about improving the MWC ld.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation        {sun,amdcad,imagen,hoptoad}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those       o_O