[comp.sys.atari.st] writing assembler

price@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/08/87)

I am writing my own assembler (no money to buy) and I would like to
know some more specifics about object file format and executable file
format.

Can anyone mail me a description of any of the more common .o file
formats, and/or a description of the executable file format.  I have
been able to decipher some things on my own using a PD disassembler
and a hex dump program, but this tends to be painful...

Also, I would like to see examples of macros in other assemblers.

Any hints or help would be appreciated!

Bob Price

ARPA:     price@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:    price@a.cs.uiuc.edu
USENET:   uiucdcs!price

c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young (WHY)) (10/09/87)

In article <164100006@uiucdcsb> price@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Can anyone mail me a description of any of the more common .o file
>formats, and/or a description of the executable file format.  I have
>been able to decipher some things on my own using a PD disassembler
>and a hex dump program, but this tends to be painful...
>
>Bob Price

	I, too, would like to receive a description of the executable
file format.  Also, I would like to know what format the Alycon assembler
uses to generate its own .o files.  How are the external routines
referenced?  How does the Alycon linker work on these?

					MEGA-thanks,

					Warner Young

Disclaimer:  What statements?