[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Hard Drives

etan@tellab5.UUCP (10/01/87)

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having the same types of problems
with their SH204 20Mb hard drive as I am with mine.

I bought it as part of a 1040ST package in February and didn't use the
computer much until May.  (I use the 1040ST almost exclusively for music
applications with Steinberg PRO-24.)  Then I got into a 4-5 times/week mode
in preparation for a concert.  One week before the show, I went to power the
drive up, but it was dead (the fuse was ok).  I took it back to the dealer
and he replaced the power supply board for about $135 (ouch!). about 1-1/2
weeks later, the same thing happened.  The dealer had to wait 3 weeks for
more power supply boards, then went through several before he found one that
wouldn't blow up.  By this time, the concert had passed, and I was down to
about once-a-week use (crossing my fingers every time I turned it on).

A couple days ago, I encountered a new problem.  My wife and I had the
PRO-24 loaded and were taking a break, when we noticed that the drive was
occasionally chirping on its own.  Thinking this was odd, I decided to exit
the program to see what was going on.  I then got a dialog box stating that
data on drive D (where PRO-24 resides) may be damaged.  I selected cancel,
and the system crashed.  When I rebooted, I got the factory-default desktop
and only one hard-drive ikon that claimed to be empty.  I tried to reboot
several times, and got different desktops, including the right one once, but
with "damaged data".  The last few times, I couldn't even get drive C ikon.

Has anyone else had any of these problems?  Do I have a lemon, or do all
SH204's suck?  Should I sell mine and buy something different?  If so, what?

Nate Stelton

sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) (10/02/87)

In article <698@tellab5.UUCP>, etan@tellab5.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
> [Long list of problems with SH204]
> Has anyone else had any of these problems?  Do I have a lemon, or do all
> SH204's suck?  Should I sell mine and buy something different?  If so, what?

I've had my SH204 for over a year now and it has always worked fine.  I
use my machine every day, too.  I take reasonable precautions with it --
I park the head before moving it (even if it's just a few inches to
clean around it), and I unplug all of my equipment during storms or if
I'm going to be away from home for a few days.

The only complaint I have with the SH204 is that it's too noisy.  I wish
I could hook it up with a 20-foot cord and hide the box in a closet or
something, so I wouldn't have to listen to it humming away right in
front of my nose.....

-Sandra

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <698@tellab5.UUCP> etan@tellab5.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:

> Has anyone else had any of these problems?  Do I have a lemon, or do all
> SH204's suck?  Should I sell mine and buy something different?  If so, what?

The first SH204 that we got for the JACG BBS at the beginning of this year
was DOA, probably due to the fact that the majority of the metal case
contained empty space.  The power supply and controller were there,
but the hard drive itself was missing.  Who removed it and when
(factory worker? Atari? distributor? retailer?) is anybody's guess.  The
packing carton was apparently factory-sealed.
  Needless to say, the "hard drive that wasn't" was returned and replaced.
The replacement was complete and intact, and has been in operation
continuously since March or so, with nary a problem.  Drive fan is too
loud, though.

--Mark Knutsen, SysOp, JACG BBS
--
_________________________________ Jersey    |||  _____________________________
ARPA: knutsen@rutgers.edu       |    Atari / | \ | GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN

exodus@uop.UUCP (Freddy Kreuger) (10/04/87)

I have not had any problems at all with my SH204.  Do you always wait
until the seek-alignment is finished before turning your computer on?
My drive has performed flawlessly but I needed a little more storage
so I disconnected the internal hard drive and connected a Micropolis
50 Meg drive to the controller.  THis works too but a few applications
have problems (Final Word can read the swap file but cannot work with it,
etc.)  I think these problems are because of the extended partitioning
I have done with the Supra Formatter (4 Meg, 4.5 Meg, 7 Meg, 4.9 Meg,
10.3 Meg, 10.3 Meg).

Demand a replacement if possible...you must have a defective board--
the controller??

G. Onufer

crash@calgary.UUCP (Glen ) (10/05/87)

In article <698@tellab5.UUCP>, etan@tellab5.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:

> Has anyone else had any of these problems?  Do I have a lemon, or do all
> SH204's suck?  Should I sell mine and buy something different?  If so, what?
>
> Nate Stelton

  I've had mine for over a month, no problems. It does suffer from the
whine the arises after it has been on for ~5 hours. The whine starts out low,
rises to a high pitch, goes low and is gone. This has been mentioned before
I believe. There is a BBS in the city that leaves its disk on 24 hrs.
apparently no problems.

steven@cwi.nl (Steven Pemberton) (10/06/87)

In article <698@tellab5.UUCP> etan@tellab3.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
> I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having the same types of problems
> with their SH204 20Mb hard drive as I am with mine.
[...]
> A couple days ago, I encountered a new problem.  [...]
> I then got a dialog box stating that data on drive D may be damaged.
> I selected cancel, and the system crashed.  When I rebooted, I got the
> factory-default desktop and only one hard-drive ikon that claimed to
> be empty.  I tried to reboot several times, and got different
> desktops, including the right one once, but with "damaged data".  The
> last few times, I couldn't even get drive C ikon.
> Has anyone else had any of these problems?
Yes, I had similar problems. Access times went down and down, and the
disk started to thrash on all disk-accesses. Then I started getting
problems like the "disk damaged" alert, and rebooting would give
different desktops, and every now and then the right one. So I usually
just had to reboot a few times to get it back. Then it died
irrevocably, and I had to send it to be repaired. I don't remember
what they said they had to repair though.

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@cwi.nl

paone@topaz.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (10/12/87)

Yes, I had the same exact thing happen.  The only difference was that
it cost 280, and took 4 months to get it back.  It was blamed on the
room being too hot (~95).
--
Phil Paone
paone@topaz.rutgers.edu