[comp.sys.atari.st] Terminal emulation on ST

fieldus@uthelios.UUCP (10/15/87)

  We are considering getting a number of Atari 1040ST to use as terminals
in out department.  I have used a 1040 as a terminal in the past, and am
quite impressed with the ability to emulate vt100's and tektronics terminals.
I was wonder if some people could send me some information, based on their
expericences, regarding
   1.  the relative merit of this idea
   2.  the possible (best?) emulator programs
   3.  how one can read IBM PC disks on the atari (much of our software
is written for the PC, but I understand that these disks can be read on the
atari.)

--
Mike Fieldus              UUCP   - {uunet!utai,pyramid!utgpu}!uthelios!fieldus
+1 (416) 978-3148         BITNET - fieldus@utorphys.bitnet

ljdickey@water.UUCP (10/17/87)

In article <319@uthelios.toronto.edu>  fieldus@uthelios.UUCP (Mike Fieldus) writes:

>   We are considering getting a number of Atari 1040ST to use as terminals
> in out department.  I have used a 1040 as a terminal in the past, and am
> quite impressed with the ability to emulate vt100's and tektronics terminals.
> I was wonder if some people could send me some information, based on their
> expericences, regarding
>    1.  the relative merit of this idea
>    2.  the possible (best?) emulator programs
>    3.  how one can read IBM PC disks on the atari (much of our software
> is written for the PC, but I understand that these disks can be read on the
> atari.)

I use my 1040ST as a terminal and love it.  The best software is FREE.
The emulator Uniterm is great.  It emulates the Tek 4010 and VT52,
VT100, VT102, and VT200.

The folks in the Computer Engineering Department at Case Western Reserve
University use them too, many with hard disks connected.  They have
developed a splendid shell, called Gulam, which behaves something like
the CSH on BSD4.X.  It has a terminal emulator built in.  Also, someone
there has done an APL terminal emulator.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (10/18/87)

writes (about using Atari ST's as terminals:
>   1.  the relative merit of this idea
I personally think the ST makes a great terminal when hooked up to
either a VAX or an Apollo. You get an incredibly large 'buffer', local
editting when the host gets slow (or is down), and you can do your
local compiling of test routines on the ST faster than on the Apollo
(esp if your Apollo's are on a LARGE ring). Another nice feature is
that the ST has almost an exact mapping of keys to that of a vt102, so
you don't screw around with trying to remember that the GOLD key is
Shift F1 (as you do on the PC)...
>   2.  the possible (best?) emulator programs
Depends on speed. I like PC/Intercom when connected at 9600 or 19200
because it allows immediate pause (via the insert key<->scroll lock)
without screwing up the flow control. If you want more features, then
FLASH is nice (although PC/Intercomm's KERMIT seems safer and
cleaner). The feature of FLASH I use occasionaly is the editable
capture buffer, but FLASH is generally better for telecommunicating
than direct connect...(remember, personal opinion only...no flames).
Then there are a LOT of PD programs that you can try out...Simon's I
am sure you are familiar with.
>   3.  how one can read IBM PC disks on the atari.
If the PC disks are 3.5 inch then just stick them in and you are all
set (I move stuff back and forth between my Kaypro 2000 and the ST all
the time). If you have 5 1/4 inch and really, really want to read them
on the ST, you can buy a 5 1/4 inch drive for the ST for an incredible
amount of money (about $200) or you can add a 3.5 inch drive on your
PC for about $130 or so (much preferable).

 -Todd Burkey
 trb@stag.UUCP