[comp.sys.atari.st] FLASH TELECOMMUNICATIONS PROGRAM

jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) (10/13/87)

How do you drop the carrier from within FLASH?

After I've logged off a BBS or Compuserve, I can't
figure out to drop the line other than powering
down the modem.  There must be a better way, but
I can't find it in the manual.

Jonathan Nagy
{ihnp4|allegra|harvard}!homxc!jdn
(201) 615-4349

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (10/14/87)

Dropping the carrier is simple. Use the ESCAPE sequences for your modem.
If your modem is a Hayes, or compatable, use the +++ escape command then
do a ath0. Drops the carrier pronto.

You can program one of your function keys to do this for you, with the proper
commands. I have mine in the F10 spot. Then when I log off GEnie, Delphi etc,
I hit the F10, and the modem hangs up.

Your escape sequences may be different, if your modem is not hayes compatable
OR if you happen to be using a Avatex ( Non-hc version ) which would then
want *all the commands in upper case.

	rich

	Milw. & lakesys           |         Who and Where ???
UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are
my own, and not nessasarily *always correct !

mzyla@dasys1.UUCP (Martin Zyla) (10/15/87)

In article <263@lakesys.UUCP> rich@+++.UUCP (Rich Dankert) writes:
>Dropping the carrier is simple. Use the ESCAPE sequences for your modem.
>If your modem is a Hayes, or compatable, use the +++ escape command then
>do a ath0. Drops the carrier pronto.

Also, if you are using versions of Flash at or above 1.12 you are
able to drop carrier simply by using the 'HG' command which will
accomplish the same as the above. And, as Rich suggests, putting
this command in one of the function keys will make dropping the
carrier a, well, er....a Flash?

                   I\  /I ____________________________________
Martin Zyla        I \/ I     /
Big Electric Cat   I    I    /   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri!dasys1!mzyla
New York, NY, USA  I    I   /         {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!mzyla
                   I    I  /         GEnie:mzyla DELPHI:gmz CIS:74216,1372
__________________________/____

ljdickey@water.UUCP (10/15/87)

In article <1696@homxc.UUCP> jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) writes:
> How do you drop the carrier from within FLASH?
>
> After I've logged off a BBS or Compuserve, I can't figure out to
> drop the line other than powering down the modem.  ....

I think this is a question about the Modem, and not about the
communications program...  Maybe you could try

	1) type "+++"  (without RETURN )
	2) wait a few seconds for the "OK" to appear, and
	3) then type  "ATH"  and RETURN to tell the modem to hang up.

This sequence works with Hayes and so-called "Hayes compatible" modems.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (10/15/87)

On my version of Flash (1.12, I believe) I just set an FKey to do the
command 'hg' which drops DTR and should hangup any modem set to respond to
that (even non-Hayes compatible).

I'm sure that command will remain in the new version, or even be given an
ALT assignment...

--
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon                                    {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!dragon-oatc!dean
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (10/17/87)

In article <1696@homxc.UUCP> jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) writes:
>How do you drop the carrier from within FLASH?
>
>After I've logged off a BBS or Compuserve, I can't
>figure out to drop the line other than powering
>down the modem.  There must be a better way, but
>I can't find it in the manual.

	Just send your modem a hangup command to go offline.

	If your modem is Hayes compatable (and most are), set up a function
key to access a .DO file which would consist of:

.	+++	(three Pluses, no Return)
then
	ATH(CR) (offhook command, followed by a Return)

OR enter the same sequence from your keyboard. Hope it works for you!

		Martin

--
|	Martin Wiedmeyer - Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                        |
|       UUCP: {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin                            |

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (10/17/87)

In article <1696@homxc.UUCP> jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) writes:
>How do you drop the carrier from within FLASH?

	Or set up the Function Key line like:
+++|>PA 5|ATH<CR>|         Where <CR> is Control-M or a Carrige Return

	Marty

--
|	Martin Wiedmeyer - Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                        |
|       UUCP: {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin                            |
|       Disclaimer: "I take the heat for my own (mis)statements!"             |

gsender@rmi.UUCP (Gerd Sender) (10/18/87)

Try the HG command. It makes the Modem Ready line low, so that the modem
hangs up.

csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) (10/19/87)

well, i never saw the original question, but i will offer what i think
is an answer to this situation.  (i had the same problem and it drove
me nutty).

this only works on a hayes (and maybe hayes compatible) modem...

Flash has a command that is only documented in a file on the distribution
disk (i think it was added too late to go in the manual  -- i'm speaking
about the pre-1.5 release).  This command is HG (HanGup modem) which works
by droping DTR for a few seconds.  Ok, (as i found out the hard way) this
only works if the modem has dip switch 1 (i think) set so that the modem
will recognize that the DTR signal coming from the computer (i think this
is up).

I recommend looking on your FLASH disk and in you modem reference manual
to determine if this is correct (especially, if you have a slightly
different system).

Also, i have version 1.12 of FLASH, so this command may not be present
in earlier versions.

-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*