[comp.sys.atari.st] Misc. Upgrades

Wbmann@AMAX.NPAC.SYR.EDU (10/17/87)

     I would like to use the Spectrum512 slide show program on my ST purchased
before 12/85.  When I run it now, The colors seem to be a random static.  The
local Atari Dealers don't know anything about the MMU upgrade that was
mentioned in the Nov Issue of ANTIC in the CATALOG.  Could someone shed some
light on this subject?  What Does this upgrade consist of?

     Is there a upgrade to get rid of the annoying keyboard click problem?
While running several programs that use a joystick for input, some keyboard
characters get sent to the computer.

     Will there be a upgrade for the 520STs to include the BLITTER chip?

         ___
        (o o)
 ___vvv___U___vvv___
|                   |     Internet: wbmann@amax.npac.syr.edu
| From:             |     BITNET: WBMANN@SUNRISE
|  William B. Mann  |     Phone: (315) 425-1526
|___________________|
        |   |
      vvv   vvv

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (10/17/87)

	The problem you are having is with the older version of the GLUE chip.
The older versions had a -20 extension after the number. The newer updated
chips all have a -38 extender. Just get the newer versions, most notably the
GLUE chip, and you should have no problems. I had the same problem with my
machine. I won't try to look at the serial # now, and the Glue fixed the
problem.

	As far as the annoying Key Clicks, I have never run into this as a
problem. I have although tried to place a Version #2 Inteligen Keyboard
controller in place of my version #1 to no avail. Tried it on two machines
and got the same problem. KeyClick *all the time. Bummer. because there are
some programs that don't really like the version #1 chip. My machine is a
OCT 1985 machine.

	How about it someone from Atari? Got an answer to the above ?
				  ^^^^^

UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
US Mail W140 N5319 Lilly Rd, Meno.Falls,Wi. 53051
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are
my own, and not nessasarily always correa

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (10/19/87)

> 	As far as the annoying Key Clicks, I have never run into this as a
> problem. I have although tried to place a Version #2 Inteligen Keyboard
> controller in place of my version #1 to no avail....
>
> 	How about it someone from Atari? Got an answer to the above ?
> 				  ^^^^^

I had already sent him mail, but given the huge (:-) public outcry for
postings...

The two versions of the ikbd firmware are hardware specific, and must be
used in their particular revision of the keyboard.  The venerable version 1
works in the older keyboards with a 74LS03.  The newer (current) version 2
is used in the keyboards that have a 74LS244 which improves the isolation
of the joystick ports from the keyboard matrix.  Given a particular keyboard
PCB, the two ikbd versions are NOT interchangable.

Jim Tittsler, Atari Corp.  {ames, imagen, sun, pyramid}!atari!jwt