[comp.sys.atari.st] What's wrong with OSS?

UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET (10/17/87)

products, and always have (their cartridge based assembler on the 8 bit was my
favorite tool, and their Pascal has been my favorite on the ST), and they have
always had a reputation of being a good company, with really good customer
relations--until recently.  It all stems from the release of version 2.0 of
their Pascal.  It seems that they've customer relations has fallen apart.
Examples:  A net-friend of mine (hi, Holly!) send in her order and visa # to
get the update AND was billed probably four or five months before she ever got
a product!  The OSS of a couple of years ago never would have done that, would
they?  Another point:  the manual--I know (from working once at a place that
developed software) that the last delay in getting software out the door
always seemed to be the manual, but hey OSS--a month and a half?!  Last point--
I called them a LOT (I was really anxious to get it), and every time I was told
that because I called in my order would be placed at the head of the queue to
go out.  Well, I began to hear of people getting their packages, so I called up
OSS to see where mine was.   Well, it had gone out the 23rd according to the
guy on the phone (you mean it didn't go out a week ago like you told me it most
likely would?).  On the sixth I called them again (hey folks, I know North
Dakota is a bit out of the way, but almost two weeks?).  That time I talked
with a fellow I'd talked with several times before, and he said that my order
had gone out the first.  Well, I suspected someone had been lying to me the
first time I called, but didn't say anything because I know it could also have
been an honest mistake.  I waited (again) until the 13th, when I was just about
ready to call them yet again when it finally came!  As I mentioned in an
earlier posting, I haven't had time to study it in depth yet, but it looks to
have some really nice improvements (although I've found at least three typos in
the manual already...).  Then I looked at the postmark date--Oct 8th, a week
after I had been told that it had definitely been shipped. RAGE!  ANGER! etc.
I'm going to call them again to 'lodge a protest,' but before I do, I was
wondering if anyone else has something they'd like to add to my list, or if
anyone would like to come to OSS's defense (I haven't gotten their side of the
story yet, but will post it when I do).  I'm hoping that this is just a run of
rotten luck and bad timing for OSS, and that this isn't a new face for what has
previously been a very nice company....

                                       Scott Udell
                                       UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET

*

davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) (10/19/87)

In article <370UD140469@NDSUVM1> UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>Examples:  A net-friend of mine (hi, Holly!) send in her order and visa # to
>get the update AND was billed probably four or five months before she ever got
>a product!  The OSS of a couple of years ago never would have done that, would
>they?  Another point:  the manual--I know (from working once at a place that
>developed software) that the last delay in getting software out the door
>always seemed to be the manual, but hey OSS--a month and a half?!  Last point--
>
>                                       Scott Udell
>                                       UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET

To all of you who were "outraged" that you were billed in June for a product
released in September ...

Did you actually bother to READ the upgrade letter sent out by OSS?  They
specifically stated that you would be charged early, and receive the
software later.  They also promised that if they did not get it out on the
projected date, they would either (1) pay for the shipping or (2) let you
have a coupon for a "free" next upgrade.  They mailed out a card on the
14th of August to that effect (and yes, I am keeping the card handy...)

Manuals -- well it looks like a LOT of printers are having major problems
getting computer manuals (and magazines - ala ST-Log) out on time.  Most
large print shops have schedules -- if they print during week one, they
may not be able to reschedule a printing for four weeks or so.  That's one
reasons some comics come out "later" than they're supposed to.. (and books,
and ... )

-- Dave Meile

UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET (10/19/87)

billed-now, pay latter.  That they warned cardholders ahead of time worries me
even more than if they hadn't--it's been my experience that companies that need
your money (cashwise, from the credit card) before they are able to supply the
product are either on shakey financial footing or might be up to no good....
As for manuals, it's true that they could just have picked an overly busy
printing company to do the job....  My biggest complaint still stands--the
handing out of mis-information about individual shipping dates (dare I say
lies?).  I did call OSS and "confront" them about the problem (I didn't mention
credit cards or late manuals)--boy, did I feel like a heel even though I think
it is a legitimate complaint.  The fellow I was talking to got real quiet (if
I was him, I'd probably have been mad, but since it's a customer on the phone,
you can't really gripe back)...  He didn't give me any specific answer other
than saying he'd pass it (my complaint) to the others....

                                              Scott Udell
                                              UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET

(PPascal is still my favorite language on the ST, and OSS is still one of my
favorite software companies--I just don't want them degenerating into something
else...)