[comp.sys.atari.st] amiga emulator

csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) (10/18/87)

i've tried a couple of times to get something from UHACE and i have yet
to hear a word.  (my first attempt was over a month ago!)  how does one
on the usenet or arpanet get stuff from them?

anyway, i promised a friend that i would get the AMIGA emultor that
UHACE says they have in their archives.  could someone send me a copy.
a uuencoded ARC file would be fine.

adTHANKSvance,
-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (10/18/87)

In article <8710180439.AA06043@nh.wmcs.uucp> csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) writes:
>UHACE says they have in their archives.  could someone send me a copy.
>a uuencoded ARC file would be fine.
			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (10/18/87)

Sorry I forgot to ask to send me a copy by email (arced uuencoded).

Thanx Frank

charles@mnetor.UUCP (Charles Benaiah) (10/19/87)

In article <8710180439.AA06043@nh.wmcs.uucp> csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) writes:
>i've tried a couple of times to get something from UHACE and i have yet
>to hear a word.  (my first attempt was over a month ago!)  how does one
>on the usenet or arpanet get stuff from them?
>
>anyway, i promised a friend that i would get the AMIGA emultor that
>UHACE says they have in their archives.  could someone send me a copy.
>a uuencoded ARC file would be fine.

If an Amiga emulator does exist could someone send me a copy also.

thanks in Advance.

c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young (WHY)) (10/20/87)

	Could someone who has it send me a copy, too?  I find it hard to
believe that the ST can emulate an Amiga with reasonable speed, so I'll
wait until I get this to see.

					Thanks,
					Warner Young

davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) (10/20/87)

Folks, the "Amiga Emulator" is a joke program, ok?  You get a very nice
copy of an Amiga screen, then you can run an "ST emulator on the Amiga", which
of course produces ...

Well.  If no-one has posted it to the net in a week, I'll consider doing so,
since I have BITNET access on another computer ...

-- Dave Meile

markv@uoregon.UUCP (Mark VandeWettering) (10/21/87)

If such a thing as an Amiga emulator does exist, I think probably
everyone would want a copy, if it isn't posted to the net soon, I would
really appreciate a uuencoded archive of it myself.  I have a BBS and
would certainly post it.

 Thanks
 Kevin VandeWettering (kevin@kjvw, tektronix!teksce!bucket!kjvw!kevin)
 Smiley BBS (503)591-0379

ljdickey@water.UUCP (10/21/87)

In article <265@nikhefk.UUCP> frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) writes:
>Sorry I forgot to ask to send me a copy by email (arced uuencoded).

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a place where someone could post this!
Then lots of folks would not have to ask to have it mailed to them.

There should be a group for this...   I propose that we have such a group.

One of these names

	comp.binaries.atari.st
	comp.sources.atari.st

might be appropriate for posting such things.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

jlm@comvme.UUCP (Jeff Morris) (10/21/87)

I beleive that I saw this "emulator" one time.  It puts up a guru meditation
and hangs the machine.

JLM

--
Jeffrey L. Morris               seismo!noao!mcdsun!nud!comvme!jlm
(602)438-5900  	                ihnp4!mot!nud!comvme!jlm

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) (10/21/87)

In article <4470@zen.berkeley.edu> c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Warner Young (WHY)) writes:

>	Could someone who has it send me a copy, too?  I find it hard to
>believe that the ST can emulate an Amiga with reasonable speed, so I'll
>wait until I get this to see.

The "Amiga emulator" was a joke - it gave you a display which looked like the
Amiga's (maybe a bit clearer on the SC1224 ;-) but didn't "do" anything except
give you a couple of gurus when you tried to execute anything.

-Rich
--
Richard E. Sansom
TRW Space & Defense, Redondo Beach, CA

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan Joshua) (10/21/87)

The Amiga emulator shows a very shaky copy of the amiga screen. After
the machine is touched, the screen goes wacky and you are prompted to
inseert a new version of the workbench. It is quite worthless.

rutgers!jjoshua@topaz
Yes, I am new here.

jafischer@tiger.UUCP (10/21/87)

[]
	I'm fairly certain that this 'emulator' is the same one that was
discussed about 6 months ago (ironically, around April 1).  I've seen it
since then, and can confirm that it's simply a humourous spoof.  A couple
of funny effects, and that's it.  Not really worth posting to Usenet
(it's 30 or 40K); look on local BBSs.
	I felt I ought to reply to this before some Amiga user got on a
high horse about it -- goodness knows they did enough of that last time
around.  Not that it isn't justified, though; _really_ emulating an
Amiga on the ST, given the hardware differences, ... well, no sense
starting another discussion.
--
				- Jonathan A. Fischer
				jafischer@lion.waterloo.edu

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (10/21/87)

The Amiga Emulator that has been floating around for the last 8 months
is just a very nicely done 'pop-up' picture of the amiga desktop and
(I think) a few screens...it was just a joke guys.
  -Todd Burkey

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (10/22/87)

The amiga emulator (in the same way as the amiga's ST emulator) is a joke.
All it does is simulate a flickering (from the interlace) desktop which
immediately bombs (gurus ?) when you touch a key or the mouse.  Sorry.

                                   Adam Engst

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

csrobe@nh.UUCP (Call me Mudd) (10/22/87)

Ok, i'll admit it i fell for it.  i really thought someone, took
the time to write something that tried to emulate the Amiga in
a semi-respectable fashion.  BOY WAS I WRONG!  For those of you
who are interested in getting this thing, don't.  Here's why...

---begin AMIGA_EM.DOC---

AMIGA_EM.DOC             Philip I. Nelson                    1987

As you've no doubt guessed, AMIGA_EM.PRG is a joke, not a serious
attempt to emulate an Amiga on the Atari ST. On the plus side,
AMIGA_EM.PRG is a free program; you may give a copy to anyone,
provided that you don't change the program in any way.

     AMIGA_EM.PRG is written in assembly language and it includes
several actual Amiga screens. To save space, the screens are
stored in compressed format and uncompressed as needed. Needless
to say, this is not a well-behaved GEM application; you can't use
desk accessories, dump the screen with Alt-Help, or behave in
other un-Amigalike ways.

     You must run AMIGA_EM.PRG in medium resolution on a color
monitor.

     After a brief sojourn in the startup screen (click in the
Emulate box or press Return if you're in doubt about what to do),
you arrive in the Workbench screen. You can move the Workbench
window by clicking and dragging the drag bar at the top of the
window. To exit the emulator and return to the ST desktop (at your
peril, I might add), click in the close gadget in the upper left
corner of the Workbench window.

     Like much commercial software, AMIGA_EM.PRG is not finished
and it does not perform as advertised (or as hoped by the
foolish). Only three of the tools shown in the Workbench window
are functional. (The Trashcan does nothing. How many Amiga files
do you need to discard, anyway? Think about it.)

     If you click on the Preferences tool, you flip to the
Preferences screen, which looks impressive and may convince the
ignorant among your onlookers that you really are running an
Amiga. Sadly, nothing on this screen works except the Cancel box.

     In the Workbench window is an 'Atari ST Emulator' tool. Some
of the results of using this tool will be familiar to ST
programmers. Amiga programmers may recognize one or few details,
too.

     If you click on the AmigaBASIC tool, you go, naturally
enough, to the Microsoft AmigaBASIC screen. Conveniently, someone
already has loaded a program (a purported ST emulator) into BASIC,
typed the command 'run,' and positioned the cursor immediately
after that command in the BASIC Output window. If you're not
curious about this situation, you can click in the Output window's
close gadget and return to the Workbench. To learn what it's like
to run an ST emulator from within an Amiga emulator, press the
Return key. After that, you're on your own.
---end AMIGA_EM.DOC---

i guess i should have know that no one would really try to emulate
the Amiga anyway.  well, we (the ST) could not offer ANY multi-tasking
support now could we?  nor, could we support some of their custom
sound (or could we? midi?).  oh well, i suppose i only wanted an
Amiga-like environment.

Now, i have to go tell the guy that wanted it, that it was just a
farce.  JOY!

-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*

netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet.UUCP (10/22/87)

Why would want such a thing?  Is there something wrong with Atari's OS?
;-)

Hal "

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (10/23/87)

The only "Amiga Emulator" I've seen is a simulation of an Amiga screen
crashing. It appeared around 1 April.

Bruce D. Nelson            | UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
Eastman Kodak Company      | Voice: 716-726-7890
901 Elmgrove Road          | Company Mail: Dept 420 Technical Support Services
Rochester, NY 14650        |