[comp.sys.atari.st] Desperately seeking Atari networking

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (10/14/87)

Now that Mega STs are (more or less) here, has anyone any knowledge of
networking possibilities for them?
The ideal would be Ethernet (or Starlan?) plus tcp/ip.

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (10/20/87)

Atari ST networking developments:

Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.  Supposedly this is available in England.
I'm not sure of the details.

Other networking...
A local startup company has implemented a ST DMA interface card
that provides full extended SCSI (256 addresses, multi-master, etc.).
Their initial product using it will be a 60 meg disk/60 meg tape
combination in a Mega-ST like case (they are waiting for FCC approval
to start marketing; the box works now).  Their next planned product
will be a networking software package that uses their SCSI hardware.

dgc

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (10/23/87)

In article <992@dclemans.mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) writes:
>Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.  Supposedly this is available in England.
>I'm not sure of the details.
I am sure of the details (I have it): a board which piggybacks onto
the 68000 in a 520 (not a 1040, for space reasons), plus buggy software
which runs as a diagnostic program off a cartridge.
In addition, the product is discontinued, and I know of no plans to
move it to the Mega. The only hope is if the company would give me their
buggy tcp/ip source, plus driver specification. Even then it is bad,
because it does something to the bus which makes disk transfers very
dodgy.

leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) (10/23/87)

In article <992@dclemans.mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) writes:

>Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.  Supposedly this is available in England.
>I'm not sure of the details.

An old article said this product was a multi-session terminal (4 sessions at
a time) that has a cartridge with telnet on it. Same article said the software
could be better. It was a pretty old article, maybe the software is better by
now. Anyway, here is the address I have:

	Logic Replacement Technology	Telephone: (0734) 75 10 87
	Arkwright Road			Telex:      847395
	Reading, Berks  RG2 0LU
	England

Note: I know nothing of this product or of this company, just rehashing old
	news... If it works, and someone is using it, please post a review!
-----
Leo E. Wilson 364 West Delavan Avenue Buffalo, NY 14213
(716)883-7573(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)...!sunybcs!leo