[comp.sys.atari.st] CT

jafischer@tiger.UUCP (10/23/87)

[]
	The reason I'm posting this is that CT just showed up in our
comp.sources.atari.st; I sent it to James weeks ago, and assumed it had
gotten lost along the net somewhere; that's the reason that I then
posted it to comp.sys.atari.st.

	Let me state that it has NEVER barfed on a copy to a file that already
exists for me (I'm not flaming James here, he's undoubtedly not lying!)!
Good lord, I wouldn't post something that flakey!  I've been using ct for
months and have encountered no problems.  The only thing I can think of is
that I've only tested it under MWC's 'msh.'  I also have the MT Csh, but have
not tested in that environment.  Another possibility is that the target file
had write access removed, but I doubt James would have missed that.

	So.  Someone also responded to me that Gulam has an option to
update the time with cp and mv, so ct is really only useful under BDT's
Micro Csh (and MT Csh), and under MWC's msh.

	If anyone else encounters problems, please email me.

	Oh yes.  The reason that the error message printed by ct was
":	something or other" is that I relied upon MWC's environment-
passing method, wherein argv[0] is the program name.  MT Csh follows
this as well, I believe.  Normally the error messges are "ct:	..."
--
				- Jonathan A. Fischer
				jafischer@lion.waterloo.edu

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (10/25/87)

In article <3919@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jafischer@tiger.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
>	So.  Someone also responded to me that Gulam has an option to
>update the time with cp and mv, so ct is really only useful under BDT's
>Micro Csh (and MT Csh), and under MWC's msh.

Gulam changes the date on "cp" (copy) but not on "mv" (move).
Your program is useful if someone wants to do a copy AND preserve
the date.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

egisin@orchid.UUCP (10/25/87)

 ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
> Gulam changes the date on "cp" (copy) but not on "mv" (move).

That's the default behavior of Gulam's cp, but the +t option preserves the date.

jafischer@tiger.UUCP (10/25/87)

>...	Let me state that it has NEVER barfed on a copy to a file that already
>exists for me

	Actually, I believe I know what the problem was; it sounds like what
happens when you change a disk and try to access a file in a subdirectory on
the new disk.  Someone posted a message about this just a few days ago.  No one
yet seems to know how to simulate the act of hitting the escape key in the
Desktop window, so the problem seems unsolvable, other than by preceding the
copy command with a 'ls a:\' when you change disks.  Good old GEMDOS.
--

bammi@mandrill.CWRU.Edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (10/26/87)

In article <1199@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <3919@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jafischer@tiger.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
>>	So.  Someone also responded to me that Gulam has an option to
>>update the time with cp and mv, so ct is really only useful under BDT's
>>Micro Csh (and MT Csh), and under MWC's msh.
>

>Gulam changes the date on "cp" (copy) but not on "mv" (move).
>Your program is useful if someone wants to do a copy AND preserve
>the date.

	Gulams "cp" command has both options

	cp +t <src> <dst>
		will copy to file <dst> and then will touch <dst> with the
		date and time of <src>, thereby preserving the date stamp.

	cp <src> <dst>
		will just copy to file <dst>. The date stamp of <dst> will
		be the present time.

	If you prefer the first flavour, simply put the following line
	in the startup file `gulam.g'

		alias cp 'cp +t'
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!mandrill!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@mandrill.CWRU.edu

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (10/27/87)

> []
> 	The reason I'm posting this is that CT just showed up in our
> comp.sources.atari.st; I sent it to James weeks ago, and assumed it had
> gotten lost along the net somewhere; that's the reason that I then
> posted it to comp.sys.atari.st.

my apologizes, i am way behind in my postings, try to remember that this is
a "hobby" and that i have a 1.5 * full-time job

> 	Let me state that it has NEVER barfed on a copy to a file that already
> exists for me (I'm not flaming James here, he's undoubtedly not lying!)!

thanks

> Good lord, I wouldn't post something that flakey!  I've been using ct for
> months and have encountered no problems.  The only thing I can think of is
> that I've only tested it under MWC's 'msh.'  I also have the MT Csh, but have

one of the reasons that it takes me so long to post something is that i
try it out in every environment, resolution, compiler, etc that i can. i was
remiss in mentioning that the errant behavior happened under gulam and not
under any other shell

> not tested in that environment.  Another possibility is that the target file
> had write access removed, but I doubt James would have missed that.

you're right, i didn't

,lots of crlf to defeat the ^&$%&*^ posting restriction

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)