[comp.sys.atari.st] Questions about Publishing Partner

remco@tnosel.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (10/23/87)

I have a few questions about Publishing Partner:
   1) Are more fonts available than the standard delivered ?
      I always use postscript output; does this have consequences for
      the files you need to use a specific font ?

   2) Can fonts only be used for postscript output when the laserprinter
      supports the required font or can a font be downloaded ?

   3) Can text which is routed from column A to column B be un-routed
      (i.e. can all text be put back in column A) ?  Trick is: make column
      A as large as possible and hope text fits is A. Then delete column B.
      But this does not work with large texts.

                 Thanks in advance, Remco Bruyne,

  TNO-IBBC, The Netherlands, mcvax!tnosel!remco

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (10/25/87)

In article <483@tnosel.UUCP> remco@tnosel.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) writes:

>I have a few questions about Publishing Partner:
>   1) Are more fonts available than the standard delivered ?
>      I always use postscript output; does this have consequences for
>      the files you need to use a specific font ?
>
>   2) Can fonts only be used for postscript output when the laserprinter
>      supports the required font or can a font be downloaded ?

	In regaurdes to the above, I can safely say that yes there are more
fonts available for Publishing Partner many have been placed in the public
domain, and there are quite a few put out by The Font Factory. I have about
one single sided disk full of the various fonts, with a little more room
left for the saved doc file. I am however using an extended formatter.

	As far as the available fonts for the Laserprinter, I will assume
that you are talking about the Apple Lasor Writer. You will have to check out
just how many fonts are supported with the Lasor Writer plus. I do know that
the Lasor Writer ( not the plus ) will use two fonts, which are Times and
Helvetica, as our club has access to a Apple Lasor Writer, and our entire
newsletter is done through Publishing Partner. Still in all, even with only
the two fonts, the Newsletter is excellent < Not that i'm partial :-) >

	As soon as the Lasor Writer is upgraded to a Plus, we will be able
to use more fonts. I do not know what extra fonts will be available though.

	Helvetica comes with Publishing Partner, and Times (Times_Roman) is
in the public domain.

       Lakesys and Milwaukee         |      Who and where ????
			A great place by a great Lake

UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are
my own, and not nessasarily always correct !

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (10/28/87)

In article <483@tnosel.UUCP> remco@tnosel.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) writes:
>I have a few questions about Publishing Partner:
>   1) Are more fonts available than the standard delivered ?

Yes - they can be purchased directly from SoftLogic, or a dealer can
purchase at discount and sell at retail.  Clip art (both mono and color)
is also available, in DEGAS format.  Included are newer printer drivers,
which require PP version 1.02 to execute properly.

>      I always use postscript output; does this have consequences for
>      the files you need to use a specific font ?
I don't believe so, since the existing fonts are drawn on the output page,
and not printed as characters.
>   2) Can fonts only be used for postscript output when the laserprinter
>      supports the required font or can a font be downloaded ?

One of the newer postscript drivers includes screen fonts for fonts which
exist in the laserprinter's local memory, and a driver which uses the
correct commands to invoke the resident fonts.  I do not believe there is
support WITHIN PUBLISHING PARTNER for downloading of fonts, but you might
be able to insert a "header" to the file which would give postscript commands
to remap a font you had already loaded to an existing font, which would then
be called by your PP-generated postscript output file.

>   3) Can text which is routed from column A to column B be un-routed
>      (i.e. can all text be put back in column A) ?

Does it still show the "text overflowed" icon at the bottom of the column?
If yes, have you tried changing the point size of the entire column until it
all fits?  I do not recall any specific problems here, so this is the approach
I would take in investigating the issue.

--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER