[comp.sys.atari.st] Crossposting from CompuServe

wheels@mks.UUCP (10/26/87)

In article <769@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:

> How come I'm the only one posting things that I got from GEnie?
> How about you guys on CompuServe, Delphi???  :>
> CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
> ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> UUCP: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!lean

Sorry -- no can do. The fine print in the CompuServe contract says that
"Customer will not reproduce, sell, publish, or in any manner commercially
exploit any information obtained through the Service...". I take that to
mean that goodies downloaded from CIS can't be reproduced by posting them
to bulletin boards or usenet. What does Genie say about this?

--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\' Gerry Wheeler {decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
    /ll/// //l' `\\\   Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

ljdickey@water.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <310@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>In article <769@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>Sorry -- no can do. The fine print in the CompuServe contract says that
>"Customer will not reproduce, sell, publish, or in any manner commercially
>exploit any information obtained through the Service...". I take that to
>mean that goodies downloaded from CIS can't be reproduced by posting them
>to bulletin boards or usenet. What does Genie say about this?

This is interesting.  If you write something, and say that anyone
can copy it, and then I publish it, can I stop a third person from
publishing it also?  I suspect not....

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (10/28/87)

>In article <310@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>>In article <769@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>>... The fine print in the CompuServe contract says that
>>"Customer will not reproduce, sell, publish, or in any manner commercially
>>exploit any information obtained through the Service...". ...
>>goodies downloaded from CIS can't be reproduced by posting them
>>to bulletin boards or usenet.

This was a source of much controversy on CompuServe and the net a while
ago. The consensus is that anything that CompuServe owns is governed
by the contract. Anything that someone else owns (or places in the
public domain) is not.

A slight complication: CompuServe reserves the same right that others
use when they print a collection of stories.  If I've remembered
correctly, this means that I can repost single items but not,
for example, all the commentary posted in a CompuServe SIG.

--
voice: (415) 823-2441	uucp: {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!jmc
Where am I? In the village. Whose side are you on? That would be telling.

davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) (10/30/87)

In article <310@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>In article <769@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>>
>> How come I'm the only one posting things that I got from GEnie?
>> How about you guys on CompuServe, Delphi???  :>
>
>Sorry -- no can do. The fine print in the CompuServe contract says that
>"Customer will not reproduce, sell, publish, or in any manner commercially
>exploit any information obtained through the Service...".     ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The word "commercially" is where the emphasis should lie in this passage.
Especially after the brouhaha over whether CompuServe had any "right" to
make such restrictions on programs released to the public domain.  Basically,
CompuServe had to write a letter clarifying the above passage.

The end result - if you find a new program on CompuServe which doesn't
*specifically* state it was written for CompuServe users only (and there
are some...), then you can upload it to any non-commercial bulletin board
system you wish.  (Probably even to commercial bulletin boards, but that's
not relevant here.)  USENET is as non-commercial as you can get.  Ergo -
you should be able to send that neat PD program you saw to Jim Turner
at {}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner for further distribution on the net.

Note, however, that messages on CompuServe *are* probably fully copyrighted,
and would require permission to retransmit outside of CompuServe.

-- Dave ("not a lawyer, but I read a lot") Meile

"Never underestimate the buying power of a seven year old child."

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (10/30/87)

In article <310@mks.UUCP>, wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
> In article <769@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
> >
> > How come I'm the only one posting things that I got from GEnie?
> > How about you guys on CompuServe, Delphi???  :>
>
> Sorry -- no can do. The fine print in the CompuServe contract says that
> "Customer will not reproduce, sell, publish, or in any manner commercially
> exploit any information obtained through the Service...". I take that to
> mean that goodies downloaded from CIS can't be reproduced by posting them
> to bulletin boards or usenet. What does Genie say about this?

GEnie's customer agreement says much the same.  But in my experience with
the GEnie folks, there's no objection to occasional cross posting.
Wholesale copying of messages and/or files is frowned upon, though.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil