[comp.sys.atari.st] MWC msh questions

U00177@HASARA5.BITNET.UUCP (10/30/87)

MWC shell questions.

Since a few months I compile C-programs  using  Mark Williams C
compiler.  Because  the  shell offers a  good  compile and link
environment I use MSH too. Version 2.01 is the one I have.

Some things doesn't work:

Typing:  "set in" (no  quotes  of course)  without .bin or .cmd
         bombs (2 quick bombs) the program and leaves me with a
         reverse-video  desktop.  Is  this  a  bug  or can I do
         something about it ? (perhaps I can also do something
         about the bug)
Using :  Function and cursor keys make msh exit. Can I redefine
         these  keys, and let them show something else than ~@.
         By the  way,  the redefining should only work for msh.
         I would like to use the cursor keys when I edit files.

Help me out please. ?

Wim Schaasberg (U00177@HASARA5.BITNET)

There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial
ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at
all
                                      Ogden Nash.

dag@chinet.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (10/31/87)

In article <8710292106.AA05922@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U00177@HASARA5.BITNET writes:
>MWC shell questions.

[ preliminary comments removed ]
>Some things doesn't work:
>
>Typing:  "set in" (no  quotes  of course)  without .bin or .cmd
>         bombs (2 quick bombs) the program and leaves me with a
>         reverse-video  desktop.  Is  this  a  bug  or can I do
>         something about it ? (perhaps I can also do something
>         about the bug)
Unfortunatly, this is a bug in msh, which is fixed in a future version.
The reverse video desktop is because the pallete is changed in PROFILE
and when msh bombs out, POSTFILE is not interpreted.  There are several
other things that can be used in "set in <foo>", but this is not a bug
that you can fix without sources to msh.
>Using :  Function and cursor keys make msh exit. Can I redefine
>         these  keys, and let them show something else than ~@.
>         By the  way,  the redefining should only work for msh.
>         I would like to use the cursor keys when I edit files.
Sorry, there is no way that msh can currently read function keys.
The reason for the exit from msh is that Cconrs() (a gemdos function)
returns a null for all non-ascii keys, and the file reading routine
in msh interprets this as an EOF.  Work is underway to make reading
from the terminal different than reading from a file thus allowing
this sort of thing.  It does require some restructuring of the I/O
routines used by the shell.  The redefining would only be for msh,
since msh does not install any system routine filters.

>Help me out please. ?
I Hope this has helped.

>Wim Schaasberg (U00177@HASARA5.BITNET)

[ signature quote by Ogden Nash omitted. ]

Disclaimer:  This is not an official support response by Mark Williams Co.
	     I just work for them.  They and I do not always agree.

--
					Daniel A. Glasser
					...!ihnp4!chinet!dag

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (11/01/87)

I also have noticed those inadequacies and many more. My solution
was to go out and buy Beckmeyer's MT-C shell. If your BSD unix user
you will really (make that REALLY) appreciate this piece of software.
Being a regular csh user at work, I found that Beckmeyer's C shell
contains enough of the features of the real csh to keep me happy.
The price of MT-C shell is around $100, but I though it was worth
it. Oh by the way, MT in MT-C shell stands for Multi-Tasking.
I do have one complaint about Beckmeyer's multi-tasking kernel, but
then I already posted that a couple of days ago.
--

		---Bob Amstadt
		bob@wiley.uucp